Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Terminal Entropy posted:

Clark Griswold got a decent Christmas bonus this year. :rolleye:

His new car was just a few inches taller than the station wagon, and that made all the difference.

nm posted:

That is a sedan.

At the moment, it's just a chunk of scrap metal. Looks like the passenger cabin was kept intact, thankfully. We clearly need to start building our cars out of sign posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Hopefully, nobody was hurt... :ohdear:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

At the moment, it's just a chunk of scrap metal. Looks like the passenger cabin was kept intact, thankfully. We clearly need to start building our cars out of sign posts.
Sadly, Saab went out of business.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's a Connecticut question... I saw in the paper that they are soon starting work on that Downtown Crossing project to turn most of Route 34 into non-expressway in New Haven. Isn't there also a long running project to replace the ramps from 95/91 to that existing expressway? How are those supposed to mesh?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

smackfu posted:

Here's a Connecticut question... I saw in the paper that they are soon starting work on that Downtown Crossing project to turn most of Route 34 into non-expressway in New Haven. Isn't there also a long running project to replace the ramps from 95/91 to that existing expressway? How are those supposed to mesh?
If what was talked about earlier in the thread is any indication, they'll mesh every bit as gracefully at a truck full of ball bearings hitting a truck full of oil head-on, but with more ensuing pedestrian fatalities.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

If what was talked about earlier in the thread is any indication, they'll mesh every bit as gracefully at a truck full of ball bearings hitting a truck full of oil head-on, but with more ensuing pedestrian fatalities.

Yeah, I don't see how that transition is going to be smooth. But I guess I figured out my question... the image below shows that the redeveloped part (grey) still leaves a bit of highway that the ramps (red arrow) can tie into.

Also, it's a good thing they have presentations for the public meetings, because uploading those seems to be the only actual maintenance that goes on for these project websites.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
It's finally begun :getin:

Christ, the intersection at College and N. Frontage is already a mess at about the 6 minute mark into it with College also now being one lane.. I hear they may not be getting rid of the exists though and they'll now be underground? Any truth? Are they trying to mitigate the corridor of death that is needed for one exit?

Oh well, I look forward to our new corridor of death regardless.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I look forward to driving through New Haven later this week, and I'll certainly be sure to call the number on every traffic light box just to bitch.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh yeah, I forgot to include the presentation from the construction briefing:

http://downtowncrossingnewhaven.com/pdfs/tiger_outreach_presentation_022013.pdf

It's not great, since they presumably explained some of the slides in person, but it does have some more dates for when things are happening.

And don't miss the suggested alternate routes they tell people to take at the end. Some of them would probably add 15 minutes to your trip, like going from 91 past the green to get to Yale Medical.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I want nothing more to do with the New Haven project. The whole thing is just one blatant cash-grab on the City's part, and it's frankly depressing to even be reminded that it exists. I've got plenty of messy projects of my own, but New Haven's not my district - and thank goodness for that! I was only brought in to review some VISSIM analysis.

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!
Since we are discussing New Haven traffic, why are the traffic lights at the intersection of Central Ave. and Edgewood Ave. timed so poorly? It doesn't seem like it's a high speed area, but the time between transitions where both lights are red is five seconds, and when I'm approaching the intersection on Central Ave, I've seen the Edgewood light cycle from green to red, then go back to green without Central Ave. getting a green light. Is this the worst intersection in Connecticut (from a traffic light perspective)?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

I don't know how long it lasted for, but I remember the city's chief engineer in Jane Jacob's seminal book talking about proudly how they tried to make the streetlights as annoying as possible in terms of timing to hopefully get people out of their cars.(Which is kind of :psyduck: when you think about all the Urban Renewal poo poo from the Rt.34 connector to huge widening of Church st that was going on simultaneously in glorious tribute to the automobile)

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Special A posted:

Since we are discussing New Haven traffic, why are the traffic lights at the intersection of Central Ave. and Edgewood Ave. timed so poorly? It doesn't seem like it's a high speed area, but the time between transitions where both lights are red is five seconds, and when I'm approaching the intersection on Central Ave, I've seen the Edgewood light cycle from green to red, then go back to green without Central Ave. getting a green light. Is this the worst intersection in Connecticut (from a traffic light perspective)?

I've still got to give the "worst traffic signal" award to the ones on Route 9 in Middletown.

Signals are (frighteningly often) anti-optimized. New Haven's not my district, but Middletown is. The city controls most of the signals on Route 66 downtown, despite it being a state route. It'd be a cinch to optimize them and pretty much eliminate congestion, but the businesses along Main Street love the congestion and won't tolerate any scenario where it's reduced. For New Haven, I can definitely see them doing the same in order to hinder motor traffic, and what Amused to Death says makes that pretty clear.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Are traffic signals all solid state now? Would hackers conceivably be able to pull a Die Hard and reprogram every traffic light to turn green simultaneously?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

I've still got to give the "worst traffic signal" award to the ones on Route 9 in Middletown.

Signals are (frighteningly often) anti-optimized. New Haven's not my district, but Middletown is. The city controls most of the signals on Route 66 downtown, despite it being a state route. It'd be a cinch to optimize them and pretty much eliminate congestion, but the businesses along Main Street love the congestion and won't tolerate any scenario where it's reduced. For New Haven, I can definitely see them doing the same in order to hinder motor traffic, and what Amused to Death says makes that pretty clear.

For what it's worth, I recall reading in the New Haven Independent a few months ago that New Haven I think is trying to synchronize the lights in the future, at least on busy streets. I think they said the goal was to try to keep a continuous flow of 25-30mph, something fast enough to keep cars moving but at the same time doesn't make pedestrians and cyclists terrified.

Although if downtown crossing is any indication, they'll synchronize the lights to keep up a pace of 55mph. Totally cyclist and pedestrian friendly guys :v:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

Are traffic signals all solid state now? Would hackers conceivably be able to pull a Die Hard and reprogram every traffic light to turn green simultaneously?

Mostly. We do have some electromechanical signal controllers around still, which are always fun. Their signal plans are printed on linen. However, the vast majority aren't interconnected, so you wouldn't be able to get at them remotely. If you could hack into the City of Hartford's operations center, which probably runs Windows NT, you will have free reign over their signal network, which is all centrally controlled.

Amused to Death posted:

For what it's worth, I recall reading in the New Haven Independent a few months ago that New Haven I think is trying to synchronize the lights in the future, at least on busy streets. I think they said the goal was to try to keep a continuous flow of 25-30mph, something fast enough to keep cars moving but at the same time doesn't make pedestrians and cyclists terrified.

Although if downtown crossing is any indication, they'll synchronize the lights to keep up a pace of 55mph. Totally cyclist and pedestrian friendly guys :v:

"Hey, a corridor coordinated for 55mph is also coordinated for 27.5 mph! We set the speed limit to 25, why is nobody obeying it?"

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Cichlidae posted:

Mostly. We do have some electromechanical signal controllers around still, which are always fun. Their signal plans are printed on linen. However, the vast majority aren't interconnected, so you wouldn't be able to get at them remotely. If you could hack into the City of Hartford's operations center, which probably runs Windows NT, you will have free reign over their signal network, which is all centrally controlled.

Is there a local interlock which would prevent remotely setting the lights to an unsafe state (even by accident) or could a dastardly attacker genuinely generate sequences designed to cause crashes from the control centre?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Jonnty posted:

Is there a local interlock which would prevent remotely setting the lights to an unsafe state (even by accident) or could a dastardly attacker genuinely generate sequences designed to cause crashes from the control centre?

There's the conflict monitor, so you'd have to reprogram the phases in there somehow. I don't think that's possible. On the other hand, you could just set the yellow time to 0.1 seconds; that'd cause some crashes for sure.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Jonnty posted:

Cyberattacks can attack the programming itself and override interlocks like that. Unless the interlocks are completely hardwired (introducing components that add cost and are subject to failure), they can be attacked. STUXNET caused Iranium uranium centrifuges to overspeed and fail, all the while showing all systems normal to the operators- and this was a highly protected standalone industrial control system not connected to any other network. It's scary what's possible.

If an attacker manages to get a worm onto a laptop used by technicians to service standalone traffic light controllers, guess what?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

Cyberattacks can attack the programming itself and override interlocks like that. Unless the interlocks are completely hardwired (introducing components that add cost and are subject to failure), they can be attacked. STUXNET caused Iranium uranium centrifuges to overspeed and fail, all the while showing all systems normal to the operators- and this was a highly protected standalone industrial control system not connected to any other network. It's scary what's possible.

If an attacker manages to get a worm onto a laptop used by technicians to service standalone traffic light controllers, guess what?

I suppose that's possible, but so much of it is hardwired, and most controllers don't hook up by USB or anything. They don't even use standardized hardware. As far as I know, there haven't been any signal viruses going around.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Well in general despite the stereotypes, "hackers" are only going to bother if there's some way they can turn a profit. I don't see much of a business case or financial incentive for taking the effort to both learn the traffic light system, and then build an exploit. Just what are you going to get from it? A spectacular wreck or two? Same reason Apple was insulated from viruses for years, there just wasn't a user-base enough so that you could exploit for profit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Chaos Motor posted:

Well in general despite the stereotypes, "hackers" are only going to bother if there's some way they can turn a profit. I don't see much of a business case or financial incentive for taking the effort to both learn the traffic light system, and then build an exploit. Just what are you going to get from it? A spectacular wreck or two? Same reason Apple was insulated from viruses for years, there just wasn't a user-base enough so that you could exploit for profit.

The turrorists!

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Chaos Motor posted:

They could charge to make a certain route have all green lights for a time, for those people who would like to get somewhere faster.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Normally you hire witches for that though, like in The Craft.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Chaos Motor posted:

I'm not worry about hackers for this (well, I'm sure someone would get their jollys off it) so much as a concerted cyber-attack on infrastructure as a whole. Nation-sponsored STUXNET level stuff. There are elements out there who would be very interested in shutting down america's road network as a precursor to attacks on other utilities and infrastructure, if only to impede response by means of an accident at every intersection.

Maybe the rear end-backwardness and age of our utilities will actually help us for once. If it really is all hardwired and non-standard, it's a lot harder to attack.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vzDDMzq7d0
Very interesting video on the total replacement of a busy car-focused intersection into a crazy double-roundabout sort of thing.
Good on the town for taking back the street. Nothing kills a place like cars or the idea that a road's highest purpose is the efficient movement of cars.

The segregation of not just zoning in america, but the segregation of cars from humans has been one of the greatest disasters in america. So when are we going to catch up with the rest of the world and figure out the way we've been engineering our traffic for the last 50 years has been a god drat disaster?

I also love that pavement.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 30, 2013

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

grover posted:

I'm not worry about hackers for this (well, I'm sure someone would get their jollys off it) so much as a concerted cyber-attack on infrastructure as a whole. Nation-sponsored STUXNET level stuff. There are elements out there who would be very interested in shutting down america's road network as a precursor to attacks on other utilities and infrastructure, if only to impede response by means of an accident at every intersection.

Maybe the rear end-backwardness and age of our utilities will actually help us for once. If it really is all hardwired and non-standard, it's a lot harder to attack.

Who in the world would have the means and the motive, as well as an incentive and what would they be hoping to achieve?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chaos Motor posted:

Who in the world would have the means and the motive, as well as an incentive and what would they be hoping to achieve?

"Terrorist organizations" backed by nation states with a grudge, and to cause gridlock concurrent with an attack on other infrastructure preventing an effective response. It's all very "lovely Tom Clancy novel" but it's something people are worried about.

Apparently there's a not insignificant amount of important infrastructure exposed on the internet; imagine if you could control the C&C equipment for a chemical plant that handled really nasty stuff. Venting a cloud of chlorine gas is bad, but preventing the county or state response teams from being able to respond multiplies the effect.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

It would be easier and more effective for them to just bomb major power lines rather than try to cause gridlock by fiddling with the traffic lights. Concentrated effort to take out power substations could cause a lot of fallback switching like New England Blackouts. Traffic lights should be the least of your worries.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Chaos Motor posted:

Deactivation of our F-22s and combat lasers, presumably

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Terminal Entropy posted:

It would be easier and more effective for them to just bomb major power lines rather than try to cause gridlock by fiddling with the traffic lights. Concentrated effort to take out power substations could cause a lot of fallback switching like New England Blackouts. Traffic lights should be the least of your worries.
No it wouldn't. Short of a nuclear attack, nobody has the capability to do that. Cyber warfare is completely different. We might bomb Iran's nuclear facilities and find our banking system is crippled the next day.

If you're launching a malicious crippling cyber-attack, simply shutting off power is pointless; everywhere important has back-up generators anyhow. Cyberwarfare has progressed well beyond simple disruption and nuisance DDoS, though- cyber weapons are sophisticated enough to cause kinetic damage- not just shutting off power, but causing a power spike at maybe 2x normal voltage to fry everything plugged into it, followed by an overspeed that physically destroys the generator and turbine/engine/etc powering it. And to do that to every water tower, sewage treatment plant, gas line, refinery, cell phone tower, telephone switching center, TV studio, radio station, you name it. Whoever made stuxnet (probably Israel) did it 5 years ago. Just imagine what US, China, Russia and other major players are capable of. We've never seen an all-out cyber assault, but it will be devastating if we ever do.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
On many of Indiana's rural highways with only 1 lane each direction there are places where 2 state roads intersect and are controlled by a set of flashing lights overhead. Either flashing yellow one direction, red the other, or a 4-way stop flashing red all directions.

It used to be that the two light heads each direction would flash back and forth between each other. Lately I've noticed more and more of them get reprogrammed so both lights flash at the exact same time. Can you think of any reasoning for this change? It seems like back and forth would be better because one signal head each direction would always be lit up, and in my opinion it catches your attention more than both blinking at the same time.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Cichlidae posted:

Those assholes!

I went to Wesleyan for my undergrad, and I always wondered why it took so long to get to the school from Route 9. Now I know, I suppose.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
This was in our local paper, front page today.

With boost from KC, race to build driverless cars is in full throttle

KC Star posted:

To call Tim Sylvester a road builder misses the point. The streets he intends to build are embedded with electronic sensors that may keep cars of the future from speeding, veering and crashing.

At UMKC, Dr. Vijay Kumar, a computer science professor, and student Amol Khedkar are experimenting with wireless toy cars to develop a software program to allow cars to synchronize their <137>own<137> movements by talking to each other.

A few blocks from Sylvester’s Integrated Roadways office in Kansas City, doctoral candidate Amol Khedkar is toiling on his own prototype for a software system that would let cars talk to one other, synchronizing their own movements. The vehicles could automatically change lanes and make turns without humans mucking things up.

Khedkar had better put the pedal to the metal. He’s three years into his dissertation project — and in just that time, the worldwide race to develop so-called driverless vehicles has reached breakneck speeds.

Much of the technology already is on the streets. Newer, higher-end automobiles can parallel-park themselves, creep through traffic jams on their own, alert drivers to blind side intruders, keep wheels from rolling onto centerlines and spot deer in the road before headlights can.

Google and other innovators say they may be just five years away from having all the tools and know-how to market what researchers call “a fully autonomous vehicle” — where steering, braking and turns can be safely performed without manning the controls.

The bandied-about term “driverless” doesn’t mean there’s nobody at the wheel, though some scenarios project that day will come. Driverless means nobody needs to be there because internal and external sensors, plus satellite magic, allow the vehicle to drive itself.

The question has sped beyond whether or not technology will ever let motorists read a magazine en route to work — which techies say is a reality nearer than you think.

Rather, society has begun to ask: Do we really want this?

Computer engineer Don Wunsch voices an emphatic yes.

“The days of human drivers deserve to be numbered,” said Wunsch, a professor at the Missouri University of Science & Technology in Rolla. “Humans are lousy drivers. It’s about time computers take over that job.”

Others note that the rush to make autos fully autonomous, and conceivably far safer, promises to run into huge societal bumps.

In a transportation center such as Kansas City, how many truckers won’t be needed in 2025? How will insurance companies react when hands-free accidents happen — and nobody disputes they will — or roadside sensors go awry?

Will systems navigating 21st-century vehicles reach obsolescence and need costly upgrades every few years, like today’s smart phones? And, perhaps the most critical question, who will make certain these innovations will make travel less deadly?

“You have these brand new capabilities coming to the market at a time of grossly inadequate funding” of federal safety regulators, said Clarence Ditlow of the Washington-based Center for Auto Safety, a watchdog group.

Only after risky “experimentation on the road,” he said, will the public’s overall safety in a driverless world be known.

Since 2011, three U.S. states where much of the corporate testing is taking place — California, Nevada and Florida — have enacted laws legalizing driverless vehicles. Michigan, Oklahoma and New Jersey have similar bills in the works.

Nevada last year issued the first license and special plates for a self-driven car, requiring an operator at the wheel. All models in development have manual override systems to let humans take over.

Still, in the absence of much political push-back against progress — and with corporate titan Google and virtually every car manufacturer around the globe leading the charge — a January headline in MotorTrend confidently trumpeted “The Beginning of the End of Driving.”

The end is now for one Australian mining conglomerate, Rio Tinto Alcan. The company has ordered 150 autonomous trucks for its operations, saving more than $100,000 a year on each driver it needn’t employ.

Human error

Google reports that its fleet of self-driven cars has logged more than 300,000 miles of testing without the computer systems causing an accident. (The company recently has acknowledged difficulties, however, navigating the cars through snow.)

Commuters in and around Mountain View, Calif., where Google is headquartered, are now accustomed to encountering Toyota Prius hybrids — mounted with “machine vision” cameras and emblazoned with Google stickers — seamlessly gliding through traffic.

“They follow the rules of the road perfectly and change lanes with appropriate caution,” a blogger for Businessweek wrote last week. “They always signal. Thing is, the cars make the drivers around them worse,” because motorists will gawk, swerve close to check if anyone’s driving or take overly defensive measures to allow the robot cars through.

Companies and scientists that promote computer-controlled driving note that human errors account for nine out of every 10 U.S. road fatalities.

In their visions of fully autonomous traffic, fuel would be saved and fewer vehicles would clog the streets. Families with three cars might rely on just one — taking Mom to work and returning home without a driver so others in the household can use it.

No single stroke of technology has powered the push toward self-driving cars. In fact, innovations dating back 20 or 30 years — cruise control, automatic breaking systems, GPS satellites — gradually gave rise to cars with their own minds.

Two endeavors in Kansas City reflect the variety of approaches being taken to make driving smarter:

• Khedkar, the UMKC graduate student, has developed a software program that he hopes will enable cars to continuously talk to each other when approaching intersections. Using remote-controlled model Ferraris he bought at Toys R Us, he intends to develop a working prototype by late summer.

“The software is ready to go,” said Khedkar, a computer-science major. “We’re seeing now how the hardware responds to perform exactly what the software tells it to do.”

On that front, Khedkar and his professor, Vijay Kumar, concede they’ve a hill to climb.

But their ultimate fantasy features flocks of cars flowing, slowing down and turning corners in concert, each knowing what the other vehicles are thinking.

“We don’t want, at the moment, to make a driverless car,” said Kumar. “We just want to solve the problem of the traffic light.”

If all vehicles carried the software system of Khedkar’s dreams, traffic lights would be unnecessary. (“When I’m driving home late from a movie and stopped at a red light, waiting, and there’s nobody around? I hate that,” he said.) Intersections would be freed from human impulse and serendipity — “no ambiguity, no confusion” — as cars know and respect each other’s intentions.

• Sylvester, the founder of Integrated Roadways, sees solutions in the pavement.

He is developing pre-cast sections of road armed with sensors. For the time being, he said, the sensors would monitor roadway stress and ice conditions, and he’s already filled orders for the Kansas Department of Transportation for portions of Interstate 35.

In Sylvester’s plans, coming generations of pavement would record traffic patterns, signal to emergency crews when a wreck happens, and have interspaced “charging pads” that provide a jolt of power to electric cars driving over them.

The driverless age ultimately would allow these in-road sensors to communicate with cars, navigating them away from hazards.

And Sylvester said that prospect needn’t cost consumers a fortune.

“If we can increase safety...everyone deserves to have access,” he said. “Most of this technology has already been developed” and he foresees the software systems enabling cars to decipher roadway commands to be “something you could get at Best Buy for a couple hundred dollars.”

Given that Kansas City is among the nation’s leaders in highway miles per capita, Sylvester’s startup could be positioned in the perfect place at the right time. He figures on tapping the area’s ultra-speed Google Fiber network to speed the data transmitted through pavement.

Truckers first

At present, vehicles manufactured with all the gizmos to run on their own would cost buyers between $150,000 and $350,000, analysts say.

Long-haul trucking companies are more apt than individual consumers to respond to such price points, said Joshua Jacobs, a founding member of a think tank called the Conservative Future Project.

“I’m not saying it’s going to happen next year. But I think things (favoring driverless trends) are moving more quickly than most people are giving credit for,” he said. “It might be a good idea for all of us to begin thinking about how we prepare for what we know is coming.”

The nation’s 3.5 million professional truckers are starting to think about it.

“Oh, I’m sure the larger motor carriers would love to fill their trucks with, well... nobody,” said Norita Taylor, a spokeswoman for the 150,000-member Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, based in Grain Valley.

“The joke already among drivers is that (trucking firms) are trying to use what we call ‘steering-wheel holders’ as opposed to drivers who think of themselves as professionals,” she said.

Ted Scott, director of engineering for American Trucking Associations, representing carrier companies, said “we’re starting to take a harder look” at the cost benefits of transitioning to autonomous vehicles for delivering long-distance freight.

If the technologies were found to be safe, the potential benefits may prove irresistible, Scott noted: Companies could save on “ 401(k)s for an awful lot of drivers, pensions, the costs of training.” Goods could be delivered more quickly without the required rest periods for drivers.

“But I would imagine some unions would have an issue with it,” he deadpanned.

“The technology could be there in the next 10 years, but I don’t know if we the people can get there,” Scott said. “We know that technology can fail. It always does. So how do you minimize the impact of those failures?”

A working group of the National Transportation Safety Board is analyzing the implications of hands-free driving. The insurance industry is on the case, too, with some insurers offering discounts to car owners who spend extra on today’s crash-avoidance features, said Russ Rader of the industry-funded Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Provided, that is, the features actually reduce wrecks.

“I like paying attention to what I’m doing out there,” said Idaho trucker Jon Osburn, who last week was passing through town after a trip to Kentucky. “Who wants to be lulled into boredom behind the wheel?”

A 2010 test run of a driverless Audi, winding up Pikes Peak in Colorado, offered an ironic lesson in safety.

A manned helicopter filming the experiment crashed. Four of its occupants were injured.

The car made it up the mountain just fine.

To reach Rick Montgomery, call 816-234-4410 or email rmontgomery@kcstar.com.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/30/4153506/fast-track-for-cars-without-drivers.html#storylink=cpy

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Sorry I haven't been around much; I've been studying for the PE, and it's eating through my free time more than Bioshock:Infinite and Crysis 3 combined.

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vzDDMzq7d0
Very interesting video on the total replacement of a busy car-focused intersection into a crazy double-roundabout sort of thing.
Good on the town for taking back the street. Nothing kills a place like cars or the idea that a road's highest purpose is the efficient movement of cars.

The segregation of not just zoning in america, but the segregation of cars from humans has been one of the greatest disasters in america. So when are we going to catch up with the rest of the world and figure out the way we've been engineering our traffic for the last 50 years has been a god drat disaster?

I also love that pavement.

That is indeed some awesome pavement. I can't see an intersection like that working well here, if only because American drivers turn into complete idiots when faced with anything more complicated than one single-lane roundabout. On top of it, there are no pavement markings. Our roundabouts here are absolutely covered with markings and signs, and the Highways guys keep asking us to add more and more.

Maniaman posted:

On many of Indiana's rural highways with only 1 lane each direction there are places where 2 state roads intersect and are controlled by a set of flashing lights overhead. Either flashing yellow one direction, red the other, or a 4-way stop flashing red all directions.

It used to be that the two light heads each direction would flash back and forth between each other. Lately I've noticed more and more of them get reprogrammed so both lights flash at the exact same time. Can you think of any reasoning for this change? It seems like back and forth would be better because one signal head each direction would always be lit up, and in my opinion it catches your attention more than both blinking at the same time.

Wig-wag lighting is reserved for railroad crossings. The standard configuration has both lights blink at once so they won't be confused with a crossbuck. Simple enough answer, right?

I really wonder how driverless cars will affect my career. Someone will still need to design roads, but signs, stripes, and signals could be made obsolete. On the other hand, traffic simulations would be a lot more realistic.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Aren't driverless roads just less efficient trains?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

Aren't driverless roads just less efficient trains?

No, because trains aren't efficent at carrying random routes.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

They also have to make stops even if only one person is getting on/off.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cichlidae posted:

I really wonder how driverless cars will affect my career. Someone will still need to design roads, but signs, stripes, and signals could be made obsolete. On the other hand, traffic simulations would be a lot more realistic.

If anything you will be more in demand, because driverless as a subscription based service will provide new revenues for the PubWorks & DOT so they can actually afford to do more projects.

I had a sweet idea today to put a high speed rail line down the middle of a major local highway route between two medium cities (large in local terms) that has a park'n'ride carrier on it where you'd drive your car into a pod, get on the train, and when you get off at your destination, your car is waiting for you in the pod in the parking lot. Combines the speed & efficiency of high speed rail with the individual mobility of a car once you reach your destination. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If I remember right the main problems with those systems is the time it takes to load cars on and off.

What'd be really neat is to have a system like this implemented all over, though it'd be complex to do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgantown_Personal_Rapid_Transit