Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pat screaming,"HELLO!? YES?" simultaneously as he knocks is amazing.

I am also a big fan of people running in, doing something, and then running out again, which is part of the reason I love the,"Philippe writes a story on the typewriter" strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Haha always good to see Pat acting all zany and spastic. That sure is 100% consistant with what we know of his character so far.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a starwar betamax posted:

Haha always good to see Pat acting all zany and spastic. That sure is 100% consistant with what we know of his character so far.

It feels more like Blogs Pat than Comic Pat, and that's alright with me because Blogs Pat is the best Pat.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jerusalem posted:

I am also a big fan of people running in, doing something, and then running out again, which is part of the reason I love the,"Philippe writes a story on the typewriter" strips.

Is....is he using Phillipe's flowchart?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Pat is an rear end in a top hat but it got one of the best lines from Nice Pete so that's cool.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Hi MrBlueDestiny, I really enjoy your avatar. I just want you to know this.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerusalem posted:

As he knocks and rings the doorbell, at that. Pat is determined.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Fantastic!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cloks posted:

Pretty much every Achewood strip has been retreading the same thing since they figured out where the drum machine manual was.

I felt like that comic was painfully self-aware, and a ham-fisted attempt at characterizing Phillipe as a child who is happy and stands on things. Phillipe standing on the drum machine manual really signaled the beginning of the end for Achewood. It was just a desperate failure to recreate the magic of the previous panel, where Teodor did not understand how the drum machine worked.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

No, I'm pretty sure I can explain exactly why I like them - because they are funny, and good, much like the GOF.

Yes well they're "good" is hardly descriptive. One reason I like The Banjo and The Road Trip is the same reason I like early Robert Crumb - it's a bizarre world that is engaging because the creator goes to places I could never imagine myself. GOF on the other hand feels predictable. You could often envision what the next strip would be. For me it was never exciting. I still like it, it's just nowhere near Achewood's best.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Darth Windu posted:

Chris is so furious about his bad ex-wife.

He's furious at himself for being such a depressed gently caress-up and ruining everything by being way too absorbed by his comic about cats doing cusses.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Vogler posted:

Yes well they're "good" is hardly descriptive. One reason I like The Banjo and The Road Trip is the same reason I like early Robert Crumb - it's a bizarre world that is engaging because the creator goes to places I could never imagine myself. GOF on the other hand feels predictable. You could often envision what the next strip would be. For me it was never exciting. I still like it, it's just nowhere near Achewood's best.

GoF is good because it is a great Road Trip\ Bromance movie. It's a great exploration of two dudes and their friendship, as well as their childhood and relationships with their fathers. It's says a lot of things that I think probably ring true with a lot of people. It talks about what it maybe means to be a dude in the modern world. Maybe it's slightly trite and cliched in places, but its a solid, classic tale, excellently told. Plus it has some great loving lines, and Ray acting like a badass in a very . It's, in my opinion, the most tightly written arc of Achewood and thoroughly deserves it's reputation.

It's fine if you don't like it too though, but it's nice that Achwood isn't always just jokes about dildoing coffee.

A lot of people ITT seem to get upset if Achewood isn't constantly like their platonic ideal of what Achewood should be, but it's been through so many changes and tried so many things, I'm not sure that really exists. It's ongoing experiment. Sometimes things work, somethings don't, but I would rather have an Achewood that tries and occasionally fails, but also occasionally produces gems than no Achewood at all.

It's just a webcomic, dudes!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ray is like, the LEAST badass person ever. He is a flabby man who listens to bands that compare their junk to dog food.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

krakagar posted:

It's a great exploration of two dudes and their friendship, as well as their childhood and relationships with their fathers. It's says a lot of things that I think probably ring true with a lot of people.

I don't see it. There's a great moment where we see a young nerdy Roast Beef listening to an old Rodney Stubbs interview on a tape recorder with a hand drawn tactical map besides it, but other than that none of it seems very believable or important.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If you think about it, this really sums up Achewood's progression.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

krakagar posted:

GoF is good because it is a great Road Trip\ Bromance movie. It's a great exploration of two dudes and their friendship, as well as their childhood and relationships with their fathers. It's says a lot of things that I think probably ring true with a lot of people. It talks about what it maybe means to be a dude in the modern world.

GoF is an interesting character study on Ray and Beef but when people say poo poo like "It talks about what it maybe means to be a dude in the modern world" I would like to know just what in the gently caress you think it means to be a dude in the modern world, because "forming a series of shifting allegiances and betrayals to visit grievous violence on 300 people in order to finally gain some connection/approval from an absent and semi-mythical father" is pretty loving remote from my experience as a modern dude.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

And what's more, the very next comic illustrates exactly how Achewood has changed into a soapbox for Onstad's relationship woes
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03272002

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I forgot how like two weeks after that he manages to completely sum up Achewood in one update

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Did Onstad ever have a drinking problem? That might give insight into the "Ray in Rehab" arc.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

fatherdog posted:

GoF is an interesting character study on Ray and Beef but when people say poo poo like "It talks about what it maybe means to be a dude in the modern world" I would like to know just what in the gently caress you think it means to be a dude in the modern world, because "forming a series of shifting allegiances and betrayals to visit grievous violence on 300 people in order to finally gain some connection/approval from an absent and semi-mythical father" is pretty loving remote from my experience as a modern dude.

You sound like a weak man, spiritually.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

fatherdog posted:

What modern dude hasn't tried to buy fake nuts for their cell phone? Go ahead, Fatherdog. Try.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
The GOF was excellent simply because it had our two favorite knuckleheads chumming it up like Hop and Crosby on a peyote trip.

Every strip with them cracking wise on each other was gold, too. As well as adding "grunchy" to my vocab.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heavy_D posted:

And what's more, the very next comic illustrates exactly how Achewood has changed into a soapbox for Onstad's relationship woes
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03272002

Except that this arc is about Teodor actually being happy and a good thing happening?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Literally The Worst posted:

Except that this arc is about Teodor actually being happy and a good thing happening?
If this arc goes badly for Teodor it's reflective of Onstad's own problems with women. If it goes well for Teodor, it's wish fulfillment.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Yes. because a story must be about the same thing that it is literally about. Moby Dick is just a story about a whale and Lord of The Rings is just a story about a hairy little man throwing a ring in to a fire. No, I'm not saying Achewood is comparable to those works, burt the point is that there are layers of meanings to things and even if you don't want to examine them or even if they weren't the authors intent, they're still there. I don't think the GoF is particularly subtle about some of these things. Like you say, its a good character study on about two pretty well rounded characters. It's not a huge stretch that people would find things sin common and relate them to their own experiences. It's about a couple of knuckleheads from old times becoming tied up in a system that they've admired and worshiped since childhood , and then discovering that that system is flawed and oppressive, that things chance as you age and that perspective makes a difference. Among other things. if you read that and nothing of it speaks to you as being true, that's fine. if you read that and you can't understand how other people might see that, that's also fine. But it doesn't mean that other people won't, or their interpretations and reactions to it aren't valid.

gently caress, I know Achewood isn't great literature. But GoF is a great story, well told. There are plenty of levels to enjoy it on. But sure, by all means rag on people because they aren't enjoying it in the same way as you.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

krakagar posted:

Yes. because a story must be about the same thing that it is literally about. Moby Dick is just a story about a whale and Lord of The Rings is just a story about a hairy little man throwing a ring in to a fire. No, I'm not saying Achewood is comparable to those works, burt the point is that there are layers of meanings to things and even if you don't want to examine them or even if they weren't the authors intent, they're still there. I don't think the GoF is particularly subtle about some of these things. Like you say, its a good character study on about two pretty well rounded characters. It's not a huge stretch that people would find things sin common and relate them to their own experiences. It's about a couple of knuckleheads from old times becoming tied up in a system that they've admired and worshiped since childhood , and then discovering that that system is flawed and oppressive, that things chance as you age and that perspective makes a difference. Among other things. if you read that and nothing of it speaks to you as being true, that's fine. if you read that and you can't understand how other people might see that, that's also fine. But it doesn't mean that other people won't, or their interpretations and reactions to it aren't valid.

gently caress, I know Achewood isn't great literature. But GoF is a great story, well told. There are plenty of levels to enjoy it on. But sure, by all means rag on people because they aren't enjoying it in the same way as you.

lol

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The greatest sign that Achewood is back is everyone complaining about it again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ArchWizard posted:

If this arc goes badly for Teodor it's reflective of Onstad's own problems with women. If it goes well for Teodor, it's wish fulfillment.

I'm seriously of the opinion that most of the weird one-off stuff lately has been him being frustrated with himself, not with his wife/women in general. Look at that one about Bad Sentences: Molly's not wrong for asking Beef poo poo, the Onstad cat is wrong for being a jackass and saying the wrong thing.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

krakagar posted:

Achewood is way better than Moby Dick or Lord of the Rings.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I think GOF is a timeless, predictable story, that we could probably plug into the Monomyth perfectly. It's a good story, told well, with characters we enjoy. There are certain panels and scenes that still make me laugh to beat the band. It's a good arc. Maybe not the best, but I tend to go "drat, this is the best" every time I read one. I overall do not like Philippe and the couch, however probably my favorite line of all Achewood is "I have Airwolf. This is not code language. I am flying Airwolf because I own Airwolf. Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment." It is finely crafted.

I like Achewood because I can read all sorts of existentialism into it, and the wordplay is beautiful and lends itself well to deconstruction of meaning.

You can do whatever you want in life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The GOF was a very complicated delivery system for a joke about Lyle playing a trumpet with his cock.

Onstad told us that story so he could tell us this one.

Augustus
Oct 10, 2004

God damn it.
I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery

just mowing us all down

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

krakagar posted:

i like the one where Roast Beef is riding a skateboard and his dick falls out of his shorts and you can see it wiggling around

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

little munchkin posted:

i like the one where Roast Beef is riding a skateboard and his dick falls out of his shorts and you can see it wiggling around

Me too man. In fact, that's the one I have framed and signed and sitting on top of my bookcase.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

krakagar posted:

Me too man. In fact, that's the one I have framed and signed and sitting on top of my bookcase.

It's the third best one, after Hot Tub Brawls and the one where Ray uses his computer to jump over a mountain with a motorcycle.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hi MrBlueDestiny, I really enjoy your avatar. I just want you to know this.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

krakagar posted:

But WHAT does it MEAN

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Can someone please explain to me what Pat did in this latest comic??

I keep re-reading it and I can't tell if the bag is supposed to contain the smashed up potato or if its another bag or I just don't understand please help. Thanks

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I am also having this problem. Also why did Pat come to the house, to do this, and then immediately leave? Does he have some kind of alarm that goes off when somebody has a potato?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He left as soon as he confirmed that he would find no potato there.