Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
I've never 2 boxed before but now that I have some free time, 2 monitors, and one active SOE sub, what would be some good combo options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Tequila posted:

I've never 2 boxed before but now that I have some free time, 2 monitors, and one active SOE sub, what would be some good combo options?
One sub? You need one account per character you want to play. The good news is that you can get pretty decent play out of a free to play account actually, so that's worth giving a shot.

For your main character slot (this should be the one with the subscription for most power), it's important to play a class you enjoy, not one you read is powerful. I'm a fan of melee, so my main has been a Monk for the past 5 years. Many others enjoy SKs, as they are kickass tanks and survivors. These days you can also melee main a ranger, paladin, beastlord, or heck even a magician with its pet.

You can also main a caster, but if you choose a kiting class like a necro or wizard, your second box will be very limited in what he can contribute, since you don't stand still much. As an alternative, you can main a caster and use tank mercs to tank, and supply with your pets perhaps. All you can do is nuke and dot from a distance though.

If you main any melee, you can't really go wrong with a shaman partner. It's the classic combo that still works, due to the shaman's buffs and utility. A druid is also okay, and will give you ports, but they have no haste or slow.

For mercenaries, a tank and healer merc is a godly combo that will keep you extremely safe and speed up levelling.

Let us know which class you would like to main and we can give you some tips.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
Yeah, I was thinking about having a shaman on the f2p account with some kind of melee on the main account with an active sub from PS2. As far as what I would actually play? I have no idea and I'll probably end up trying out a bunch of random combos because I have major alt ADD and mercs are a thing.

Beastlords always seemed pretty cool and I've always heard good things about the monk/shaman box combo. I was also thinking about SK/Druid based mostly on my fond memories of going nuts in zones after getting damage shield buffs from high level druids.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
All of those memories no longer apply to an extent. Class choice just depends on how far you want to go. If you want to box your way through current-era content, you'll need to play either a real tank or a mage. If you just want to screw around in sub-95ish content, SK + literally any other class is the easiest. Lots of other classes can do it all fine, too. Monks can stomp lower level content pretty handily via mend cooldown AAs, same with BSTs as long as you realize their pet isn't really an optimal tank later, probably a ton of other classes can too.

Counterpoint is that having a PC tank instead of a mage pet takes a fuckload of effort in gearing/AA, though a lot of that is somewhat mitigated now due to CotF vendors and auto-grant. You're gonna have a pretty awful time once you coast 90 and want to progress if you're trying to use a tank merc :( There is exactly 0% chance I'd ever make a box setup that didn't have a tank or a mage pet at this point though, just not worth the trouble.

Shm vs Druid is a tossup at this point...both classes are perfectly fine acting as primary healer, slow's mostly marginalized in group content, and the only remaining big difference is that Shm is melee-oriented and druid is caster-oriented. Either one's fine though!

:siren:Very Important Advice:siren: - add an extra box to whatever combination you decide on and make it a bard. An auto-grant bard + melody on a f2p account is so OP already just on /autofollow that there's no reason not to throw one in and mostly ignore it. Never met anyone ever who regretted having an afkbot bard.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
How are enchanters these days? I always wanted to main an enchanter, but ended up playing a bard instead. It's been some time since I played very seriously, and I've been tossing around the idea of picking up an enchanter. How bad is a bard + enchanter in the same group?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bahanahab posted:

How are enchanters these days? I always wanted to main an enchanter, but ended up playing a bard instead. It's been some time since I played very seriously, and I've been tossing around the idea of picking up an enchanter. How bad is a bard + enchanter in the same group?

Some overlap, and if you're just using mercs, nothing is really taking advantage of their amplification abilities. If you were filling the rest of the group out with real players, it's be fine.

ENC+BRD + clr merc + war merc = zzzz

Even using a wiz merc instead of a tank is still going to be pretty slow at killing things.

ENC dps is somewhere around druid levels, so fine for a support class, but it's not what you want for your main source of dps.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Without a pure dps class in your group a bard is like 80% useless. Enchanters are really weird though; they are really good at what they do (which can be a lot), but no one knows how to use them. Most people run them around afk like a bard box for buffs and mezzing occasionally and for twincast aura, but around RoF you can chain your runes on yourself and you're nigh invincible in group content. They are a pretty good candidate to main, especially if you have a wizard to box with. Once you start loving around with enchanter at the high end you have: charm silliness to play with, mez/split pulling, tanking, really good ADPS, and really good debuffs. Someone using an enchanter properly is like one of the last bastions of "WTF did i just witness?" in Everquest.

Use the bard to PL an enchanter/wiz duo and you will be wayyyy past what the bard could do in just a couple days.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 28, 2015

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
Turns out I had a 52 monk and shaman combo on my accounts already! Unfortunately, I also remembered why I stopped: I have no idea where to go to level or how to get there if I did, and I don't know how to control two characters at once when things get dicey.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MrTheDevious posted:

:siren:Very Important Advice:siren: - add an extra box to whatever combination you decide on and make it a bard. An auto-grant bard + melody on a f2p account is so OP already just on /autofollow that there's no reason not to throw one in and mostly ignore it. Never met anyone ever who regretted having an afkbot bard.
Unless they changed it recently, auto-grant is only for all-access accounts.

Tequila posted:

Turns out I had a 52 monk and shaman combo on my accounts already! Unfortunately, I also remembered why I stopped: I have no idea where to go to level or how to get there if I did, and I don't know how to control two characters at once when things get dicey.
That's part of the fun, rediscovering the game.

To get anywhere, just get yourself to Plane of Knowledge (PoK) which has teleport stones to all zones. No matter where you are, you should have an AA (do you remember what they are?) called "Origin" which you can hotkey and click in order to be teleported to your home town (or Crescent Reach, a newbie zone). From there, open your map and navigate to the nearest PoK book (see your map) which will teleport you to PoK. If you are camped in an old world city, there will also be a PoK stone nearby.

The very first thing you should do is hire two mercs - see my OP, which is a bit out-dated, but still relevant for the most. A healer merc on your monk, and a tank merc on your shaman. Next, modernize your character with some bags, Defiant gear, spells and the like - again, see the OP.

A good place to begin with in order to find levelling spots is to check out the current hot zones; zones that currently give extra XP. Take with a grain of salt though, even though you are 52, the level 50 hot zone is rather crappy. I would start in Burning Woods, which will be very easy at level 52, and re-learn the ropes.

Other zones I can recommend at level 52:

Howling Stones - east wing
Old Sebilis - not the best XP, but nostalgic and good vendor drops
The Hole - start in the eastern area of the zone, killing gargoyles and ghosts. Great xp, great vendor drops
Velketor's Labyrinth - boring, but safe and easy xp killing spiders
Grieg's End - easy solid xp with endless mobs

If you get bored, do a level here and a level there to mix things up.

As for controlling two chars at once, there is only one real answer: ISBoxer . It is a bit complex to setup, but try searching through this thread for "isboxer" and there are plenty of posts on the subject.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
I initially balked at isboxer's $50/yr fee but I suppose I could do a $15/90 day after the trial if I can get it to work properly. I saw MQ pop up on multiple posts while looking for isboxer info, is it a verboten topic now or is it just even more of a nightmare to set up?

Edit: How can I get eq1 to stop loving with my brightness settings every time it runs?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

If you have any sort of remote inclination toward computers, you can compile MQ2 yourself free and it works flawlessly. Otherwise you have to pay a website just like with ISBoxer. You can also get an older but still fully functional ISBoxer free if you google around a bit, but it's :filez:

Also if you're compiling for Test server, there's a one line config you have to change in the MQ2 source code to make it use the right offsets. You can also use ShowEQ's debug mode to track down your own offsets, depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I currently have this group setup: Warrior, Cleric, Bard, Mage, Wizard, Druid

I really want to put an enchanter into that group, just because I really want to play one, but I'm not sure if I should drop the cleric or druid for the enchanter. My first instinct is to drop the cleric due to having more dps form the druid, but I'm not sure if the druid would be able to dps and heal effectively at higher levels.

As long as I could do all the group content in the game by dropping the cleric for the enchanter, I'd definitely go that route.

larrydigital
Feb 21, 2004

Say Queensbridge.

Tequila posted:

I just started boxing myself, after 14 years of one-boxing. Had to. Coming back after 2 years off, it was really the only way for me to get stuff done. I hated it at first but I've come to enjoy it. There's not a lot my bard main/mage box can't do.

I've even added a druid which helps me go through stuff even faster (mage + 3 dps casters = $$$). Only thing that really limits me is my inability to figure out ISBoxer. That thing is like the drat riddle of the sphinx.

larrydigital fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 28, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

For like lazy isboxer setup, give your spam abilities all the same key bind(multi binding) in game, Like tilde. Then in isboxer make a new keymap that triggers from tilde, sends out a tilde, and set the target to be your spammers. This makes all your chars spam those buttons.

Another usefel thing is to make a macro on your secondary boxes like:
/pause 5, /target MainBox
/follow

Set that to a keybind in game and make a key map in isboxer to send to your clients. I use keypad 0. This makes your boxes autofollow you with just one press instead of alt tabbing 3 or 4 times to move 20ft.

You can do the same for an assist macro. Just those 3 things gets you really far into being a pretty good boxer.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 28, 2015

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Tequila posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about having a shaman on the f2p account with some kind of melee on the main account with an active sub from PS2. As far as what I would actually play? I have no idea and I'll probably end up trying out a bunch of random combos because I have major alt ADD and mercs are a thing.

Beastlords always seemed pretty cool and I've always heard good things about the monk/shaman box combo. I was also thinking about SK/Druid based mostly on my fond memories of going nuts in zones after getting damage shield buffs from high level druids.

My favorite box combo was to play rogue as main since it is the most active class requiring situational/position awareness with a tank merc, a wizard with a healer merc, and a bard with a rogue merc. It was a lot of fun with isboxer once I got used to it. There was a lot of information on somethingawful I remember from an everquest thread that basically set the tone for how to use it that answered almost all my questions.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

larrydigital posted:

I just started boxing myself, after 14 years of one-boxing. Had to. Coming back after 2 years off, it was really the only way for me to get stuff done. I hated it at first but I've come to enjoy it. There's not a lot my bard main/mage box can't do.

I've even added a druid which helps me go through stuff even faster (mage + 3 dps casters = $$$). Only thing that really limits me is my inability to figure out ISBoxer. That thing is like the drat riddle of the sphinx.

ISBoxer really isn't that awful. I thought it was too for a longass loving time, but even the :filez: version has a quick setup wizard that actually works very well. Aside from the (really good) advice from darkhand as far as generic boxing issues, the only area the ISBoxer wizard fails at is making clear how the window swapping/regions work. It works fine there as well, for the most part. If you wanna do some crazyass setup like I use, it does take some setting-up, but it's still not horrible, and a few minutes of trial and error clear the rest of it up pretty fast.

I set up a totally fresh install a couple months ago using the lovely version and aside from window regions and broadcast hotkeys (Extremely easy but tedious to set up), it took all of 5 minutes.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Do old hotzones still drop their augment, or do they only drop their augment when they are the active hotzone?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Bahanahab posted:

Do old hotzones still drop their augment, or do they only drop their augment when they are the active hotzone?
They keep dropping forever in the old zones.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

I set up a totally fresh install a couple months ago using the lovely version and aside from window regions and broadcast hotkeys (Extremely easy but tedious to set up), it took all of 5 minutes.

To be fair, if you're not familiar with this type of thing, it is very confusing.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RCarr posted:

To be fair, if you're not familiar with this type of thing, it is very confusing.
Frankly I blame the terrible configuration GUI. The double treeview (clicking on something on top opens new options at the bottom) is beyond retarded, and there are way, way too many context menu items and pointless fields. It should be simplified to focus on what 99% of users want: Set up a box team, add characters, add broadcasting hotkeys.

In theory one could write a new GUI for it, since all ISBoxer does is write some XML to the disc, which InnerSpace, the actual engine that does all the work, reads. Hmm, next ZlizEQ development project spotted.... :)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Yeah I agree with all of that as far as stupid GUI decisions and used to get pissed as hell at it, but then I finally tried the Quick Start Wizard and it works just fine to set up a box team, then you can use the Hotkey wizard to set that up too. Only thing I couldn't set up via a wizard was my window layout, but that's just because I use a weird one :downs:

larrydigital
Feb 21, 2004

Say Queensbridge.

RCarr posted:

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most technically adept person out there so that definitely doesn't help.

Still, ISBoxer does sound pretty useful. Maybe I'll give it another go this weekend.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're the least bit serious about boxing past 2 it's well worth learning. I dinked around with it on test with 4-5 accounts and it was pretty fun. Made for a pretty loving boring time but there is a certain joy in puppeteering your own little murder hobo army.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/sony-online-entertainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.217508/

SOE just got sold to some weird investment company. We need a :daybreak: emote now.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I hope the first thing they do is fire Smedly and bring back SWG :boom:

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010
It seems the first thing they did was make Smedley president of the new company.

He's saying that old games remain and full speed ahead.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

The most fun I've ever had in a video game was in SWG. We were playing in a spaceship one of our friends crafted from the best resources on the server. We were stuck deep into a enemy spawn in space all Manning a part of the same ship, I was on shield shunting. The pilot was going hysterical cuz he barely knew how to fly trying to get tuuret people into positions to fire effectively. Parts of the ship were on fire and people were running around on damage control.

No other mmo experience came close to that for me. Shame about the nge though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Just for giggles, I logged on for the first time in I don't know how many months. I didn't know about the AA thing and didn't really understood how it worked, but my 92 enchanter got 4,599 free AA.

That was kind of nice.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yo where's some rockin places to exp at 85 before HoT?
UF exp is pretty good but moloing or duoing is a dangerous slog for me at the moment.

I usually hit tosk or kW but lesson burning and only getting like 10aas seems lovely, maybe that just how it was back then?

I've heard mechguardian and thallasius are good but idk how that compares to sod stuff.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://forums.station.sony.com/soe/index.php?threads/daybreak-company-update.11500068779/

Looks like the everquest franchise is officially in 'strip the carcass bare and boil the bones for soup' phase.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Kazak_Hstan posted:

https://forums.station.sony.com/soe/index.php?threads/daybreak-company-update.11500068779/

Looks like the everquest franchise is officially in 'strip the carcass bare and boil the bones for soup' phase.

EQ is "daybreak"'s most profitable game right now.

Although I will probably get a chub if Elidroth is canned. If that is mean of me, I am a mean person.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Idk about firing people but they could definitely use a shake up
Eq is not even alone in that regard either because plenty of mediocre mmos just flat line because the devs/management have no vision or ambition.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

EQ is "daybreak"'s most profitable game right now.

Although I will probably get a chub if Elidroth is canned. If that is mean of me, I am a mean person.

Counterpoint: shedding the title's talent suggests they are going to squeeze everything left out of it without investing for the future.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Counterpoint: shedding the title's talent suggests they are going to squeeze everything left out of it without investing for the future.

It's quite the stretch to call Elidroth 'talent'.

The best list I've seen so far is on reddit, and doesn't have any of the eq1 team on it. Aristo's twitter says he's still with Daybreak.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

darkhand posted:

Idk about firing people but they could definitely use a shake up
Eq is not even alone in that regard either because plenty of mediocre mmos just flat line because the devs/management have no vision or ambition.

From what I've heard, Elidroth is really guilty of that. He resists the big changes, or anything that is backed up by ambition.

#elidrothnext

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Looks like none of the eq1 people got hit?

On one hand, we didn't lose any of our meager resources. On the other hand, none of the lazy shitters got purged.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
daybreak might actually realize the only money maker soe had was everquest, so they are doing some things right. of course i could be proven wrong tomorrow when they shut the game down

Node fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 12, 2015

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

I wouldn't mind the whole customer service staff getting fired. Every petition I've ever done they act like they're doing you some burdensome favor and that you're lucky you're even getting whatever half assed solution they choose to offer you.

I feel like they're going to get rid of the test server for some reason sooner rather than later which will either make me quit or go to fippy to be with my long lost channel brethren

Vag Assault Weapon fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 12, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

I wouldn't mind the whole customer service staff getting fired. Every petition I've ever done they act like they're doing you some burdensome favor and that you're lucky you're even getting whatever half assed solution they choose to offer you.

I feel like they're going to get rid of the test server for some reason sooner rather than later which will either make me quit or go to fippy to be with my long lost channel brethren

soe daybreak customer service is awesome, what are you talking abo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

i warned you, bro

i warned you about poop touching.