Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Places like Germany got it right by aiming for slightly deflationary home/rent prices.

Having a housing boom in addition to the bubble meltdown risk, sucks since it's hiking a basic cost of living expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If milk and bread increased in price the way the price of shelter has increased we'd call it disastrous inflation.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Man, remember when the price of food went nuts in 2008-9 and the economist was calling it the end of cheap food?

And then food got cheap again

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

Man, remember when the price of food went nuts in 2008-9 and the economist was calling it the end of cheap food?

Did everyone take out mortgages so they could own their own cow?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

The price of food is going up since China is getting wealthier and also switching over to western style meat meat at every meal.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

43 Crick Street Chatswood NSW 2067

Offers over $3,100,000

This newly built home (suitable for an overseas buyer) ticks every box for contemporary family living, blessed with a choice of light filled formal and casual living areas, effortless indoor/outdoor entertaining, premium finishes and child-friendly grounds. In a wonderfully tranquil, tree-lined street, it's a short walk to shops, Beauchamp park and Chatswood train station.

* Separate formal lounge plus upstairs retreat/rumpus
* Expansive, light filled open plan family room/kitchen
* Sleek designer gas kitchen with CaesarStone benches
* Stainless steel gas appliances and walk-in pantry
* Master bedroom with ensuite, 2nd bedroom with balcony
* Elegant bathrooms
* Abundant storage, ducted A/C, timber floorboards
* Internal access to double garage
* Undercover entertaining area with timber decking
* Fully fenced front and rear yards, grassy level lawns

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-chatswood-117959479

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 19, 2014

Jerkwin
Nov 20, 2013

etalian posted:

Places like Germany got it right by aiming for slightly deflationary home/rent prices.

Having a housing boom in addition to the bubble meltdown risk, sucks since it's hiking a basic cost of living expense.

What possible motivation could a person have for buying a house, verses renting one, when prices are deflationary? That sounds like a horrible housing market.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Jerkwin posted:

What possible motivation could a person have for buying a house, verses renting one, when prices are deflationary? That sounds like a horrible housing market.

All of the reasons people buy houses in the first place? Like space and yards.

Jerkwin
Nov 20, 2013
Renting would make more sense. Why buy a house on Monday when it'll be cheaper on Tuesday?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerkwin posted:

Renting would make more sense. Why buy a house on Monday when it'll be cheaper on Tuesday?

There are lifestyle reasons to prefer owning such as more space and also not having to worry about leases/landlords like in a apartment.

It's big part of german economic policy since it helps avoid credit bubbles and also creates a more flexible labor supply:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnf...supposed-to-do/

quote:

As Locke, a retired historian, points out, the Goerlitz authorities’ attitude is a striking illustration of how differently the German economy works. Rather than keep their noses out of the economy, German officials glory in influencing market outcomes. While the Goerlitz authorities are probably exceptional in the degree to which they micromanage house prices, a fundamental principle of German economics is to keep housing costs stable and affordable.

It is hard to quarrel with the results. On figures cited in 2012 by the British housing consultant Colin Wiles, one-bedroom apartments in Berlin were then selling for as little as $55,000, and four-bedroom detached houses in the Rhineland for just $80,000. Broadly equivalent properties in New York City and Silicon Valley were selling for as much as ten times higher.

Toronto vs Berlin

Toronto vs Munich

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 19, 2014

Jerkwin
Nov 20, 2013
I can see a static price, but I don't understand why anyone would want their assets to depreciate. Deflation hurts anyone with any kind of debt. I'm glad it works for the German market, making housing affordable for everyone is an admirable achievement. I suppose the German model would keep speculators out of the market.

Still, for most people, their house is their most valuable asset. It seems reasonable that most people would want that asset to appreciate in value.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerkwin posted:

I can see a static price, but I don't understand why anyone would want their assets to depreciate. Deflation hurts anyone with any kind of debt. I'm glad it works for the German market, making housing affordable for everyone is an admirable achievement. I suppose the German model would keep speculators out of the market.

Still, for most people, their house is their most valuable asset. It seems reasonable that most people would want that asset to appreciate in value.

For obvious reason the whole flat/slight deflationary housing market price means most germans rent instead.

This a interesting article on the history of german housing policy:
http://qz.com/167887/germany-has-one-of-the-worlds-lowest-homeownership-rates/

After world war II the government basically provide big subsidies to make sure a big supply of high quality rental properties got build since
around 20% of the total housing stock got destroyed in WWII.

TL DR things Germany got right
-had public financing even for private company new rental construction projects
-kept the finance sector under lock and key thus avoiding nasty credit bubbles
-Implemented lots of pro-renter laws such rent caps, as a result renters became a big voting bloc instead of banks, speculative investors and real estate agents.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's my understanding, based on family that I have in Berlin, that long-term tenants in Germany also have more rights with regards to making improvements to rental properties, and otherwise being reasonably free of landlord interference.

Compare this with Calgary, where residents of one of the buildings affected by the blackout were told not to buy perishable food until agents of the landlord had "inspected their fridge." The inspections will be starting tomorrow, I believe they said. I don't believe in any bullshit about "pride of ownership" but I do believe in being able to tell anyone who wants in to my apartment to gently caress themselves.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

PT6A posted:

It's my understanding, based on family that I have in Berlin, that long-term tenants in Germany also have more rights with regards to making improvements to rental properties, and otherwise being reasonably free of landlord interference.

Compare this with Calgary, where residents of one of the buildings affected by the blackout were told not to buy perishable food until agents of the landlord had "inspected their fridge." The inspections will be starting tomorrow, I believe they said. I don't believe in any bullshit about "pride of ownership" but I do believe in being able to tell anyone who wants in to my apartment to gently caress themselves.

Perhaps you should stop being one of the poors and join the ranks of proud homeowners. If you don't actually own the property where you live, how can you expect to have any rights?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RBC posted:

Perhaps you should stop being one of the poors and join the ranks of proud homeowners. If you don't actually own the property where you live, how can you expect to have any rights?

I already own, and I'm quite happy about it. I'm merely mentioning how lovely renters can be/are being treated.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

Yes a good part of the success for the german rental biased model was also the large number of renter friendly regulations such as rent control.

For example rent increase are capped at a max of 15% over a three year period, for comparison in the overpriced bay area it's common to see a 15-25% for each 1 year new lease renewal.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Jerkwin posted:

I'm not saying deflation is a good thing, just that people would continue to buy houses for the same reasons they currently do, with the exception of the flippers. I'm not sure depreciation is a large impediment, people already by cars. Also, over the last few pages we have seen several articles with people talking about home ownership being a cultural or social imperative to advance in life. I don't think the housing market would be 'horrible', but that certainly isn't an endorsement of deflation.

In the 80s when mortgages were in the 10% range and appreciation wasn't, people still bought houses.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

MickeyFinn posted:

I'm not saying deflation is a good thing, just that people would continue to buy houses for the same reasons they currently do, with the exception of the flippers. I'm not sure depreciation is a large impediment, people already by cars. Also, over the last few pages we have seen several articles with people talking about home ownership being a cultural or social imperative to advance in life. I don't think the housing market would be 'horrible', but that certainly isn't an endorsement of deflation.

In the 80s when mortgages were in the 10% range and appreciation wasn't, people still bought houses.

Remember when they stopped buying houses in the 80s

You know, the problem with housing is that it's a really easy way to jack up economic production, just like resource stripping. And not only is it easy to lower the barrier to construction, you can easily subisdize the market without raising the ire of any of your trading partners.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 19, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another note is german cities also get grant money from the central government for more housing development but since it's tied to population the system also provides a incentive to avoid suburban sprawl.

From the german model for the question "Why buy a house?" is answered by most people don't since only 40% own a home given all the subtle incentives to rent instead.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

etalian posted:

There are lifestyle reasons to prefer owning such as more space and also not having to worry about leases/landlords like in a apartment.

It's big part of german economic policy since it helps avoid credit bubbles and also creates a more flexible labor supply:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnf...supposed-to-do/

Toronto vs Berlin

Toronto vs Munich

That forbes article is unsurprisingly awful, German politics are doing squat for housing affordability. The EU Lombard rate is 0.5% and they rammed through a law that forces all homeowners to upgrade every building out of pocket to energy efficient standards, a trillion dollar contractor subsidy and another notch in the Green Party axe.

We don't have a bubble because there is zero demand outside of Munich and a handful of small picturesque university cities like Heidelberg.
The reasons for that are debatable, a large part of it it probably cultural: renting is not a stigma around here and buying property a thing you only do when you have a family and financial stability.

quote:

It is hard to quarrel with the results. On figures cited in 2012 by the British housing consultant Colin Wiles, one-bedroom apartments in Berlin were then selling for as little as $55,000, and four-bedroom detached houses in the Rhineland for just $80,000. Broadly equivalent properties in New York City and Silicon Valley were selling for as much as ten times higher.

Yeah good job Colin Wales, comparing NYC to Berlin (Detroit with federal buildings/subsidies) and the equivalent of rural New Hampshire.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 19, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/ac_eco/status/523898547075559425

canada's conservative banking industry is the envy of the entire world

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/Pete+McMartn+Unaffordable+Housing+please+move/10302173/story.html

quote:

Housing in Metro Vancouver is prohibitively expensive. There. Said that.

Now, can we please move on?

It’s a non-issue.

It’s a distraction that municipal candidates are wasting too much of their time on in their campaigns because — while they would eagerly tap into the collective angst and, let’s be honest, the simmering prejudices the issue inspires — there is practically nothing they can do about it. They are lying if they say they can.

Worse, they haven’t even examined the question of whether they should. (Or the cojones to admit that they shouldn’t.)

Do invested homeowners, many of whom have sizable mortgages, want municipal governments trying to devalue the worth of their homes in the name of affordability? Do they want their local governments trying to restrict the market forces that might lead to that devaluation? Because that’s the other side of this coin.

Or would they limit access to the market itself? And how would they do that?

Levy a surcharge on wealthy immigrants who buy but do not live here?

Great, but does anyone believe that a surcharge would have any significant effect on affordability? And what are the logistics and cost of levying that surcharge? Can it even be done? And would it deter wealthy immigrants from buying here?

And is levying a surcharge on wealthy immigrants consistent with our own beliefs? The largest number of foreign landowners in Florida, Arizona and California are Canadians. Snowbirds, mostly, or those well-off enough to buy distressed properties in those states at bargain basement prices. Would they have themselves placed under the same restrictions we would place immigrants?

Or how about we embrace the xenophobe’s answer to everything and limit the number of immigrants coming to Vancouver?

Even if it could be done, and it can’t, that’s a federal power, not a municipal one. And show me the municipal politician who would champion that cause in public, other than the one with the swastika tattooed on his bicep. Hands up any of you mayoral candidates who want to send that message to our immigrant communities, or to the global investment communities we try so hard to cultivate.

What about attracting more industry that would supply better paying jobs?

Absolutely. It should be a priority. But there’s not necessarily a correlation between higher incomes and better housing affordability. It could, in fact, be the opposite, with more money chasing a limited housing supply.

How about densification?

Great, it’s the best possible means of, at the very least, increasing the housing stock.

But show me the neighbourhood in Vancouver that hasn’t fought densification tooth and nail. There has been pushback on densification from every neighbourhood in the city, and the neighbourhood that has most bemoaned high housing prices — the wealthy west side — has fought densification the hardest. They would have it both ways: an edenic single-family neighbourhood in the middle of a major metropolitan area at prices last seen in a time capsule. Not possible.

The one honest voice I have heard on this issue — and I wish the guy was running for mayor — has been Tsur Somerville, director of UBC’s Centre for Urban Economics and Real Estate.

“Cities,” Somerville said, “can contribute to (affordability) in terms of what they allow to be built. I don’t want to let cities off the hook in terms of the supply side.

“I think cities should do the most they reasonably can to ensure there is a variety of housing available across all neighbourhoods. I think cities and provinces should work together to help the most vulnerable because they need government help whether it’s social housing or housing vouchers.

“(But) tripling the supply of condos is not going to help the homeless. To the extent that we do not let single-family neighbourhoods ever, ever be touched, we’re not giving the full set of choices. And that’s what I have a problem with.

“But you give me the politician who’s willing to take on neighbourhood opposition to change.”

That’s the real issue in these municipal elections:

Finding leaders who would address issues they can affect, rather than pandering to those issues they can’t.

This article is so great because it's telling us there's nothing we can do about housing affordability and that it's immoral to suggest that anything can be done about it. The real victims here are the developers who aren't allowing to build more poo poo because of neighbourhood opposition.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
On the note of housing being deflatory and how that's bad because houses are people's biggest asset, they're also the only physical asset most people have that they consider to be an investment. Cars depreciate, electronic depreciate... And as far as I'm concerned, a house, a building exposed to the elements and constant use, should also depreciate.

If people started to think of their home as a place to live in, and not as a retirement savings vehicle, we wouldn't be in this mess.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

FrozenVent posted:

On the note of housing being deflatory and how that's bad because houses are people's biggest asset, they're also the only physical asset most people have that they consider to be an investment. Cars depreciate, electronic depreciate...
I don't agree with this at all. For a start, a house derives much of its value from the land it sits on and its location relative to other places, neither of which have any inherent reason to depreciate. Second, a well built house that is maintained properly won't exhibit appreciable physical deterioration for decades if not centuries so again, it's hard to see why it would depreciate appreciably over a timescale of years. Third, most of the things that make a house desirable (location and land value aside) are its size, layout, number of rooms, and appearance - only the last is liable to get worse over time, and again, that can be avoided with good maintenance. So why exactly should a house depreciate? It's not as though housebuilding technology advances particularly quickly and in any event, it's not especially hard to retrofit things like superior insulation or wiring onto older buildings if needs be.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

I don't agree with this at all. For a start, a house derives much of its value from the land it sits on and its location relative to other places, neither of which have any inherent reason to depreciate. Second, a well built house that is maintained properly won't exhibit appreciable physical deterioration for decades if not centuries so again, it's hard to see why it would depreciate appreciably over a timescale of years. Third, most of the things that make a house desirable (location and land value aside) are its size, layout, number of rooms, and appearance - only the last is liable to get worse over time, and again, that can be avoided with good maintenance. So why exactly should a house depreciate? It's not as though housebuilding technology advances particularly quickly and in any event, it's not especially hard to retrofit things like superior insulation or wiring onto older buildings if needs be.

Robert Shiller looked at historical records for US housing and found that real estate value adjusted for inflation goes negative over time
http://www.businessinsider.com/robert-shiller-home-investment-a-fad-2013-2

Mainly because things like material and labor costs for new housing are greatly reduced vs. the past.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

How are maintenance costs not depreciation?

Also you're from the UK, where houses are built from brick and built to last. The North American approach is ... different. Houses built 100 years ago back when old-growth hardwood was still cheap can last if maintained. For houses built since then, it's a miracle if they're not falling apart after 40 years, even if they're properly maintained (not that most people bother).

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

etalian posted:

Robert Shiller looked at historical records for US housing and found that real estate value adjusted for inflation goes negative over time
http://www.businessinsider.com/robert-shiller-home-investment-a-fad-2013-2
That's not what the article says, though:

"...Shiller's assessment that real U.S. home price appreciation from 1890 to 1990 was just about 0 percent."

In other words, you can expect a house to hold its real terms value in the long run but nothing more.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouver-residents-speak-out-against-homeless-shelter/article21158747/

quote:

Mayor Gregor Robertson says the city opened a homeless shelter in a downtown Vancouver neighbourhood before it had time to consult local residents because it needed to quickly create spaces for winter. But residents in the area say they’re going to fight what they see as a plan that transplants the Downtown Eastside to their neighbourhood.

The angry residents, who live in the district around the north end of the Granville Bridge that’s largely been built in the past 30 years, have not heard from any city official or politician about the surprise decision two weeks ago to open a shelter and convert a tourist hotel to housing for the homeless in their small area.

“We didn’t sign up for this. I’m worried [the Vision Vancouver councillors] are willing to sacrifice our neighbourhood for their agenda,” said Bill Vance, one of a growing group of concerned residents who live in small quadrant bordered by Burrard, Granville, False Creek and Pacific Boulevard.

The city made the announcement that it was opening an emergency winter shelter early at 900 Pacific St., the former Kettle of Fish restaurant, and converting the 157-unit Quality Inn on Howe Street, next to the Granville Bridge, to transitional housing for the homeless for two years before the owner redevelops the property.

Mr. Robertson said city staff have started doing outreach, but that the process is more rushed than usual.

“It is in the context of urgent need to create space before winter. We’re on a tight timeline.”

Many residents said they only heard about the announcement from television news or word of mouth. It came as the city was trying to clear Oppenheimer Park in the Downtown Eastside of campers who had been there for months, saying they were homeless or their rooming houses were too awful to stay in.

In contrast to other housing projects and winter shelters in Vancouver, where the province takes on almost all of the costs, the city is paying for everything up front. The mayor said he’s hopeful the province will agree to pitch in later.

Housing Minister Rich Coleman has said that’s not going to happen, since the city decided to act on its own.

In the meantime, the city appears to be scrambling to get operators in place for the homeless shelter at 900 Pacific St., open now, and for the Quality Inn, which is due to open in November.

The city’s communications department said a couple of times last week, when asked, that a decision on the operator for the two facilities was about to be announced, but then did not have anything finalized by the end of the week.

Some of the city’s experienced non-profit housing groups say they’re not sure what is happening, as they hadn’t heard about a request for proposals or even an informal call for interested operators.

In the meantime, residents are organizing to see what they can do to stop the projects or at least mitigate what they believe will be the impacts.

Mr. Vance, who works in the investment business and moved from a single-family house in Shaughnessy to downtown three years ago, said he felt very safe moving his children to the area originally.

But, he said, since the 900 Pacific St. shelter opened a couple of weeks ago, there have been people screaming at one another in the street outside and needles and condoms have been found near the local Montessori schools.

“What the city’s done is despicable,” said Mr. Vance. “There’s been a complete lack of transparency. And it stinks if the mayor is trying to wrap up people from the park in time for re-election.”

Mark Schulhof and Veronica Madore, residents from other buildings nearby, feel the same.

“This is not a strategic approach,” said Ms. Madore, who works as a corporate-training manager. “This is purely temporary. At least if there were some sign of what the long-term plan is but there isn’t. And this will affect tourism and the retail around that area.”

:qq:

but seriously, exterminate all vancouverites

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

I live near there. There are already several rehabilitation centers nearby. I'm kind of baffled anyone would be angered or surprised by this.

TheOtherContraGuy fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 20, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

LemonDrizzle posted:

That's not the point. What he's saying is that your primary residence isn't an asset/investment. And he's correct. Your primary residence isn't making you money. And once you factor in all of the costs of homeownership (property taxes, maintenance, taxes at the time of purchase, condo fees if they exist) your house ends up being a liability.

Your house is simply a place to live, and nothing more. And a lot of people are over-extending themselves with massive mortgages because they're under a mistaken belief that their primary residence is an investment.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also you're from the UK, where houses are built from brick and built to last. The North American approach is ... different. Houses built 100 years ago back when old-growth hardwood was still cheap can last if maintained. For houses built since then, it's a miracle if they're not falling apart after 40 years, even if they're properly maintained (not that most people bother).
I'm finding this out the hard way. My childhood home (built post-WWII) had thick, plastered walls, copper plumbing, well-built masonry, and various fixtures that stood up to years of wear and tear from two kids.

Our new house that was built in 2009? Plumbing that's made out of plastic, cheap drywall that's constantly getting nicked/damaged, windows sealant that's already peeling off. It sucks.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 20, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you want a really strange housing market look at japan. No one wants to buy a "used" house. All houses are designed to last for one generation, and they don't really care about its architecture or "resale value" since it's assumed the next buyer will most likely demo it and build their own. Because of this all, houses are never looked at as an investment, it's more like a car where you drive it till it dies and then throw it away. Land is simply a parking spot for a house.

Also Japanese zoning is really cool. Instead of huge 10 page zoning bylaws for every single zone type, they just have a few basic almost simcity style zones and within those anything goes so long as the basic rules for each zone are followed. The zones just set some very general rules on maximum FSR and types of uses and the zones are done at a national level, not city. Also even the most basic single family residential zone still allows retail, and most medium density city zones allow basically anything without paperwork. Since there isn't this obsession with "MY RESALE VALUES!" people don't care if the old house on the corner is demolished and the new owners build a corner store in the bottom of their house, a doctor's office on the 2nd floor, and their personal residence on the top, or that their neighbour has converted their big garage into a little ball jointed doll clothing workshop employing a half dozen people. Mixed use is the order of the day, streets are narrow and pedestrian focused, and there's no HOI's. It keeps cities and towns quite affordable and most importantly very adaptable and flexible. Also parking is never mandated, but to own a car you have to prove you have a parking spot. If you live in a city and don't need a car you just don't build a garage or parking spot on your lot.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

melon cat posted:

That's not the point. What he's saying is that your primary residence isn't an asset/investment. And he's correct. Your primary residence isn't making you money.
This isn't really true - if you own the house you live in, you receive imputed rent.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

LemonDrizzle posted:

This isn't really true - if you own the house you live in, you receive imputed rent.

Which is kinda offset by the interest the average person pays on their mortgage. It's a rare housing market in which you can come out ahead on your mortgage.

Hell, if somebody could get me historical housing prices, interest rates and average rents going back as far as we have them, I'd take a stab at an infographic showing that.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The last couple of days I have caught an ad on the radio in Vancouver on the way into work, but haven't been able to find out anything about it on the internet. Basically there is PRIME(TM) dockable waterfront land for sale, and if you come down to their event you will be able to purchase it directly from the bank. Water and sewage have already been built, so no need for a costly septic field (on waterfront land, gross.)

Presumably this is a development that initially started, and was subsequently foreclosed on. However, I cannot recall radio ads of this nature showing up on the radio. How long until it occurs to everyone that a bank directly selling waterfront property isn't a sign of a healthy market?

If anyone was paying closer attention to the ad, and has information or a link about it, please share.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

ocrumsprug posted:

The last couple of days I have caught an ad on the radio in Vancouver on the way into work, but haven't been able to find out anything about it on the internet. Basically there is PRIME(TM) dockable waterfront land for sale, and if you come down to their event you will be able to purchase it directly from the bank. Water and sewage have already been built, so no need for a costly septic field (on waterfront land, gross.)

Presumably this is a development that initially started, and was subsequently foreclosed on. However, I cannot recall radio ads of this nature showing up on the radio. How long until it occurs to everyone that a bank directly selling waterfront property isn't a sign of a healthy market?

If anyone was paying closer attention to the ad, and has information or a link about it, please share.

Its some development down in Washington. All over the am stations here.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

LemonDrizzle posted:

So, let me get this straight. You think that if I buy a house in an already-inflated market (like the GTA), and after factoring in:

• Interest on an overpriced house
  • Property taxes
  • Heating
  • Maintenance, including re-roofing which costs $5000 on its own
  • Emergency repairs (which can be anywhere from a few thousands to tens of thousands of dollars)
  • Condo fees (if applicable)
  • CMHC fees (if applicable)
  • Legal fees and land transfer taxes upon selling

.. you'll still think that I'll eke out a profit once I sell (which I probably won't do for an incredibly long time because I need to live somewhere)? Let's do some math using at this math using RBC's Mortgage Payment Calculator. Let's assume I have a 3% fixed rate for 5 years (lol@rates staying at 3%), amortized over 25 years, on a $500,000 mortgage:

That's $183,102.32 in interest over the life of the mortgage. That's just interest. It doesn't even include CMHC fees if you're a high-ratio borrower. Or maintenance costs. Or any of the other expenses I listed above. And all of those non-mortgage costs all assume that I'd pay for them in cash, which most people won't (so they'll borrow).

If you think that you're going to come out ahead in buying a house as a primary residence in the today's inflated real estate market you're grossly misinformed, or you're living in the same dream world that many over-leveraged Canadians are. It doesn't matter what flowery theories about "imputed rent" you think exist because quite frankly it doesn't seem to factor in the actual complexity of home ownership in the 21st Century. Look at these numbers. They don't look good.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 20, 2014

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Just be like every other Torontonian buying houses here in Barrie and cut out those pesky maintenance fees by being an absentee landlord, raise rent enough to cover the property taxes/heating, then sell off the house for more than you paid for it when the repairs reach the point where the property is one rainstorm away from being condemned!

:(

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Dude. Calm down. A property purchase is an accounting exercise. On the expense side you have the things you mentioned. On the income side you have rents if you have tenants, and imputed rents if you live there (because owner-occupiers typically don't charge themselves rent, and allow themselves to live rent free). Either way, it's a benefit that flows from the asset - even if far too high a price was paid to get the asset in the first place.

It's not flowery theories - this is literally the accounting terminology. It also doesn't invalidate in any way your thesis that buying is a bad idea.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Lexicon posted:

Dude. Calm down. A property purchase is an accounting exercise. On the expense side you have the things you mentioned. On the income side you have rents if you have tenants, and imputed rents if you live there (because owner-occupiers typically don't charge themselves rent, and allow themselves to live rent free). Either way, it's a benefit that flows from the asset - even if far too high a price was paid to get the asset in the first place.

It's not flowery theories - this is literally the accounting terminology. It also doesn't invalidate in any way your thesis that buying is a bad idea.

Would you mind trying to refute any of his points?

How do you make up for 200k in interest payments? How do you make up for the maintenance?

Where is the profit? Aka where is the "I put 20bucks in => I took 25 bucks out => Inflation was only worth 1$ => Hence this investment made me 4$" kind of reasoning.

edit: Also this is for a ridiculously low 3% rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Coylter posted:

Would you mind trying to refute any of his points?

How do you make up for 200k in interest payments? How do you make up for the maintenance?

Where is the profit? Aka where is the "I put 20bucks in => I took 25 bucks out => Inflation was only worth 1$ => Hence this investment made me 4$" kind of reasoning.

edit: Also this is for a ridiculously low 3% rate.

I'm not refuting points because I don't disagree with them. Check the history - I'm among the biggest Canadian housing skeptics there is in this thread.

I was objecting to the apparent offence taken at the reality that homeowners receive imputed rent. This is true completely irrespectively of housing bubbles or cap rates or the CMHC or whatever.