Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

African AIDS cum posted:

Link to a pro cyclist being sliced up like a piece of ham by a chainring?
Johnny Hoogerland's wounds were basically a chainring injury and should be proof enough IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Chain rings are way more exposed too surely?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Eh they often have the chain in the big ring so there's some protection from the teeth there, and there's only one of them versus two disc rotors at either end of the bike. That being said, I'm not sure I have any real feelings about them, lots of bad poo poo can happen in a big crash

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
A cut leg wasn't the worst injury in PR by a long way, one of Hayman's teammates ended up meeting the Arenberg face first, losing teeth and sustaining facial fractures, Viviani almost became a moto sandwich in the same crash. Both are more serious injuries, gotta ban cobbles and motorbikes. 5/6ths a doctor.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Nasty things can happen to fingers if they get caught in a wheel too. Ban wheels.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Maybe I'm just missing something, I don't understand the appeal/need for discs in dry conditions. I've never been in a race or out training in the sun and been "man, these rim brakes blow".

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
Hayman's power file

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Maybe I'm just missing something, I don't understand the appeal/need for discs in dry conditions. I've never been in a race or out training in the sun and been "man, these rim brakes blow".

Racers ride what they're given.

Teams are given bikes to increase exposure of new tech to drive sales of said tech.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pros now ride disc, so should you, buy this extra poo poo!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Fair enough.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

vikingstrike posted:

Maybe I'm just missing something, I don't understand the appeal/need for discs in dry conditions.

Can't blame them fielding discs for Paris-Roubaix and possible last minute rain and mud, then.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Letter by Ventoso about what happened

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/04/news/injured-ventoso-blasts-use-of-road-discs_402394#5UJwRE89eud8K2DH.99

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Big bike will just use spilt blood to masturbate their increased sales boners.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Integrated leading edge guards laid up into carbon forks appearing in 2017.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Pro Cycling: 396 Meat Slicers

The Facebook comments on this are worst I've seen in sometime. Why are people so defensive about discs?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Paddyb posted:

The Facebook comments on this are worst I've seen in sometime. Why are people so defensive about discs?

I dunno, but I wonder the same thing a lot. As with most hobbies, though, people get super defensive about the weirdest poo poo.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Imagine hitting this at speed

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Paddyb posted:

I'm glad there is pushback from riders and fans and the bike industry doesnt get to run roughshod all over the sport anymore. Hopefully they'll ban TT bikes some day.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With this superior braking the motos can run into them even more often.

Progress.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

vikingstrike posted:

I dunno, but I wonder the same thing a lot. As with most hobbies, though, people get super defensive about the weirdest poo poo.

Because a lot of people have spent money on road bikes with discs.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
UCI suspends death blades

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci...campaign=buffer

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Good call. Now I'll just wait for apologies. They know who they are.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
To be honest disc brakes on road bikes for non pro riders (or at least people not racing) is probably still a good idea and not just a marketing gimmick. They do stop better, especially in wet conditions, and if you're not riding in a competitive peloton then the odds of slicing up some rando are pretty slim. You don't HAVE to have them, even if you ride in the wet, but for the single rider it's not like a total waste of money just because it may not be a great idea for the pros. Basically I'm saying people shouldn't feel defensive about using road discs just because pro cyclists might not end up using them, but people are weird and sometimes need to feel like "I ride on the same poo poo the pros do I'm awesome"

That said I can still see pro teams working out a way to make them "safe" for use during bad weather because just a bit better control could make you faster on wet descents and stuff.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I'd rather not be deli sliced even if it's by my own bike.

The logical fallacies by the pro-disc crowd are cut and dry, just because chainrings can cut you doesn't make it ok to add more, even worse things that can cut you and increase the probability of being severely lacerated in a crash.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Levitate posted:

To be honest disc brakes on road bikes for non pro riders (or at least people not racing) is probably still a good idea and not just a marketing gimmick. They do stop better, especially in wet conditions, and if you're not riding in a competitive peloton then the odds of slicing up some rando are pretty slim. You don't HAVE to have them, even if you ride in the wet, but for the single rider it's not like a total waste of money just because it may not be a great idea for the pros. Basically I'm saying people shouldn't feel defensive about using road discs just because pro cyclists might not end up using them, but people are weird and sometimes need to feel like "I ride on the same poo poo the pros do I'm awesome"

That said I can still see pro teams working out a way to make them "safe" for use during bad weather because just a bit better control could make you faster on wet descents and stuff.

Agreed 100% (and I don't own a disc bike/will likely never own a disc bike). What I don't get is that people seem to LOVE riding stuff the pros can't have, be it weight-wise, aero, etc. "Legalize my Cannondale" was a marketing ploy for poo poo's-sake. If people didn't wanna have stuff "better" than the pros, the weightweenies website wouldn't exist!

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
i dont really give a poo poo about disc brakes either way

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Power meters are sort of fickle. But, if true, 313w average is pretty insane for 6 hours.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

French TV presenter, I don't know which, was being suspicious of him still being in the lead group before the attacks went off in the final 2-3km.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
What's more insane is that he broke his arm 4 weeks earlier and did all his training on zwift. He shouldn't have won but he raced smart and got mega lucky.

He's a big guy with incredible endurance, 350 normalised isn't that far fetched.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I think he came in super rested, no race fatigue or expectations and just rode with the smarts of 14 years experience. Things worked out well for him, Sky had 4 riders in the front group down to 1.

To cast doubt on him like the commentator did was odd, his colleagues ignored it. Anyone could make the same claims about any of the other finishers tbh.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 14, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Obviously Cancellaras bike went out sideways while nobody else's did was because of the oscillations from all the motors in his bike :tinfoil:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing about Roubaix is it isn't like, a complete shock that an unknown can win, the race is just that chaotic anything can happen.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
Every 3-5 years there's a bit of a surprise in Paris - Roubaix:

2016: Hayman
2011: Vansummeren
2007: O'Grady
2004: Bäckstedt
2001: Knaven
1997: Guesdon

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Gibbo posted:

Obviously Cancellaras bike went out sideways while nobody else's did was because of the oscillations from all the motors in his bike :tinfoil:

Actually its probably the stupid elastomer they put in the steerer tube.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fabian-cancellaras-trek-domane-for-the-2016-classics/

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

French TV presenter, I don't know which, was being suspicious of him still being in the lead group before the attacks went off in the final 2-3km.

Tbf a French TV presenter would be suspicious of anyone that isn't French.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Pro Cycling: The 84th Tour de France - Jan Ullrich and Quake2 are awesome

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That was a weird time to start to get interested in road cycling. But at least I missed the Big Mig era. Not so much the next few years. :(

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Does Chris Froome ever actually race? Or is he just all about the tour?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

He's out of reach of the testers in awkwardly placed training camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

He was based in Australia after the Herald Sun Tour I believe (which he won); his main targets for the year are the TdF and the Olympics in Rio. Probably see him race next in the Dauphiné at the latest