Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

EconOutlines posted:

Anyone else having a problem with Yelp updating lately? It'll go to 100% and then hang. The only thing that works is deleting and reinstalling it from scratch.

Oh thank God! It’s not just me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

It really bothers you, doesn't it?

Having a phone that works great? Doesn’t bother me a bit.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Ah, in Pocketcasts you can swipe left and it brings up the Up Next queue. You can just remove everything and it will stop playing whatever is queued from then on. Perfectly solves my problem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is this app updated to work with/convert HEIC photos? I've been having trouble uploading photos since I switched to that format.

EDIT: This is the wrong thread! Meant to post in the Awful app thread.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 31, 2017

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Any recommendations for an iPad app that will let me browse SMB network shares, and sort by date last modified? If it has a built in video player too that'd be great.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

Any recommendations for an iPad app that will let me browse SMB network shares, and sort by date last modified? If it has a built in video player too that'd be great.

infuse will do smb but i think the sorting is pretty limited

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

BoyBlunder posted:

Readdle Documents can do all of those things, and it’s free.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

x-post from the iphone thread:
Just a word of warning to everyone, I've had a LOAD of weird Twitter login activity from Overcast and IFTTT this past week.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Endless Mike posted:

Is this app updated to work with/convert HEIC photos? I've been having trouble uploading photos since I switched to that format.

EDIT: This is the wrong thread! Meant to post in the Awful app thread.

It’s probably the Imgur api that allows only so many uploads per app key per month. Awful hits it quite often I believe, usually end of the month.

I use a Workflow automation to save to Imgur and copy the url for use in awful.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fordan posted:

It’s probably the Imgur api that allows only so many uploads per app key per month. Awful hits it quite often I believe, usually end of the month.

I use a Workflow automation to save to Imgur and copy the url for use in awful.

Yeah this works pretty good.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

What’s the consensus on content blocker apps these days? I apparently have just been using Crystal since iOS 9 came out, but it doesn’t work so great on iOS 11

I just want some thing that’s effective, can whitelist sites and isn’t some shady Chinese vpn

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 2, 2017

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
1Blocker

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I use Better and it seems to work well. The two-person studio behind it seems to genuinely care about what they do and in an open Internet in general, so it’s nice to support that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So Ikea put out the update that lets you use their smart home stuff with HomeKit. I tried it last night, but I ran into the error that a lot of people have. It would say "Loading Accessories and Scenes". Since I just set it up, I deleted the "Home" and restarted. This got it to work on my iPad as well as my phone (which I set it up on). However, I tried to invite my wife, who got the same error message. No matter what I do, how I delete the "Home", delete the app from her phone, uncheck the keychain, restart her phone, it always comes back to that stuck screen. She has her own AppleID, so it seems that deleting the "Home" on my keychain isn't effecting hers. Has anyone had this problem, and figured out how to get around it yet?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

maduin posted:

I use Better and it seems to work well. The two-person studio behind it seems to genuinely care about what they do and in an open Internet in general, so it’s nice to support that.

I’ve been using Better for some time, but I’m wondering if the trackers will continue to be updated? Last update shown in the app is May and I’ve noticed a lot of ads showing up again recently.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

virinvictus posted:

I’ve been using Better for some time, but I’m wondering if the trackers will continue to be updated? Last update shown in the app is May and I’ve noticed a lot of ads showing up again recently.

content blocker apps generally link to an external list that is updated separately from the app. once the app itself is out there there's not really much in the way of updating to do barring some catastrophic flaw or major updates apple does to the api. that being said if it's a two person team that are updating a bespoke list then i wouldn't be surprised to see it fall behind.

i'd just get an app like 1blocker or purify or something that uses easylist; the idea behind a small app wherein the selling point is letting though 'ethical ads' seems a bit fallacious, as if you're that conscious of internet revenue streams you can just donate to the site or buy something they sell, the proceeds of which will add up to more than a lifetime of the comically miniscule amount of money they get when you visit

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

content blocker apps generally link to an external list that is updated separately from the app. once the app itself is out there there's not really much in the way of updating to do barring some catastrophic flaw or major updates apple does to the api. that being said if it's a two person team that are updating a bespoke list then i wouldn't be surprised to see it fall behind.

i'd just get an app like 1blocker or purify or something that uses easylist;
Except 1Blocker doesn't do what you describe. Its block list only updates with app updates, and those can be months and months apart. I like 1Blocker for the granularity and customization options, but its built-in rules aren't always the best in my experience.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Except 1Blocker doesn't do what you describe. Its block list only updates with app updates, and those can be months and months apart. I like 1Blocker for the granularity and customization options, but its built-in rules aren't always the best in my experience.

oh poo poo i just assumed it did. guess i never bothered to check as the content blocker apps are very much set and forget it

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

What’s the consensus on content blocker apps these days? I apparently have just been using Crystal since iOS 9 came out, but it doesn’t work so great on iOS 11

I just want some thing that’s effective, can whitelist sites and isn’t some shady Chinese vpn

I’m still on Crystal. Just make sure you went into settings and turned “acceptable ads” back off. It had turned itself on for me.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I think Wipr automatically refreshes its list periodically. It doesn't have a white list function though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like AdGuard. Updated often. Can be just a regular content blocker or a local VPN/DNS blackhole.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My DoorDash account got hacked, guess I should use a password manager.

I know LastPass was hacked, so what's recommended?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

This place seems to have a dim view of LastPass but I recommend it. Set it up with two-factor Authentication and change the master password frequently to something complex. Personally I've found it to be a very good app and I've used it for many years. Of course anything can be hacked so YMMV.

And their hack never revealed anyone's passwords.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

KeePass/Kypass + some cloud storage like dropbox

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hotsauce posted:

This place seems to have a dim view of LastPass but I recommend it. Set it up with two-factor Authentication and change the master password frequently to something complex. Personally I've found it to be a very good app and I've used it for many years. Of course anything can be hacked so YMMV.

You're a loving moron

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

1password

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
1Pass subscription if you like things easy and don't mind paying for it.

1Pass non-subbed if you just want to pay for your apps 1 time.

Keepass if you're in to doing things yourself, but want to pay almost nothing for it.

Edit: recommending a different, worse paid service over either option 1 or 2 is just crazy.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

bobfather posted:

1Pass non-subbed if you just want to pay for your apps 1 time.

There's a buy once option?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

You're a loving moron

Count me as another moron because I like LastPass too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hotsauce posted:

Don't take this bad advice.

LastPass has been owned over and over at varying degrees. My favorite is this one from 6 months ago:

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/845717082717114368

They show an almost willful ignorance of secure coding practices and have more than once tried to downplay serious vulnerabilities.

I honestly don't care if anyone uses it, but don't kid yourself into thinking it's secure to the degree of Keypass or 1Password.

EDIT: a word

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 6, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Been using KeePass for awhile. Takes a little bit of setup, but once it's done, it's less easy to use than LastPass was.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

arbybaconator posted:

There's a buy once option?

Yes. You download and pay $10 for the iOS app. Then if you use it on Mac or Windows you pay for those licenses. Then you use Dropbox to sync your data.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

bobfather posted:

Yes. You download and pay $10 for the iOS app. Then if you use it on Mac or Windows you pay for those licenses. Then you use Dropbox to sync your data.

I don't think they let you buy the standalone windows license anymore although it looks like it might be coming back sometime

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/398994/#Comment_398994

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Your password manager can be cheap, cross platform, and secure. But you can only pick two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Your password manager can be cheap, cross platform, and secure. But you can only pick two.
KeePass is all of the above :confused:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Blinkz0rz posted:

I don't think they let you buy the standalone windows license anymore although it looks like it might be coming back sometime

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/398994/#Comment_398994

That's true. Agilebits has been pimping the poo poo out of their cloud platform for the past 6 months.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

KeePass is all of the above :confused:

He meant to say: cheap, cross platform, secure, and easy to use; you can't have all 4.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

He meant to say: cheap, cross platform, secure, and easy to use; you can't have all 4.

I put in 'easy to use', but then changed it to cross-platform because I figured there's some cheap, easy to use, and secure Linux option out there.

KneePass looks interesting though. Is there any reason not to use it as compared to LastPass if I need this on iOS, Mac, and Windows devices?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
LastPass advantages:

Cloud synchronization

Literal post-it note advantages:

No history of remote code execution vulnerabilities
Still more secure somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Keepass has some learning curve but if you're willing to put your vault in dropbox it ends up being just as convenient as the paid services.

I can appreciate why people would want something they install and it "just works" but feature wise it offers everything the big players do, with the advantage it's passed code audits.