Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How do I get the launcher to stop deleting and trying to re-download the .jar after I've added a mod?

I tried offline mode but it just deletes the 1.9.2.jar then fails to launch because it deleted the 1.9.2.jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Sanctum posted:

How do I get the launcher to stop deleting and trying to re-download the .jar after I've added a mod?

I tried offline mode but it just deletes the 1.9.2.jar then fails to launch because it deleted the 1.9.2.jar.

What mod? You will have to modify the JSON file for that version and remove some stuff at the bottom to stop it. I saw this pop up on the Better Than Wolves forums which goes directly in the jar file as well. Here's a link to the post describing it. You'll need to do something similar. You can also make a copy of the 1.9.2 version folder, rename it, and edit the JSON file to change the name and keep it separate from vanilla 1.9.2.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
A modpack that takes the Blightfall concept of usual resources being rare so you have to delve into odd resources by lesser-used mods while also giving alternate paths into the tedious problems of those lesser-used mods would be neat. Like trying to tie Metallurgy metals to tech metals, or making redstone rare so you need to have an energy system that doesn't rely on it and wow all these alien materials are just perfect for rotarycraft.

Have a customized worldgen or just a custom landmass with some treats and secrets to find, pain in the butt special snowflake resources of these lesser-used mods just lying around and you are golden

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im doing the Galactic Science pack after finishing BFSR (How do i download the beta to test it Rocko? i didnt see it on the dl and im pretty bad with installing stuff that isnt wrapped for me)

And i think the excitement has faded. Its Ex Nihlo, and while you dont have to wait for trees like a sky block it's still soooooooooooooo boring sifting moon dirt and stuff.

Add to this that night time it 8 days long and at the beginning its not like you can live very long without blocking up the entrance and waiting it out.

Still its ok i guess.

Oh Rocko, any thoughts of putting Botania in your pack? It is a tech mod too.

Oh heres an edit

Progressive automation..
How the F does this stuff even work? I have never ever managed to get the tree chopper to do anything? can some one explain it to me in detail and like im 4 years old as i just cant seem to get it to do anything.

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 5, 2016

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else had a problem wherein their golems don't seem to do anything when out of sight, despite being chunkloaded?

I keep noticing that when I'm around other parts of my base (or elsewhere in the world), the golems I have for cutting down trees just.. stop. I see my power level dropping, so I go over to check what's going on and all the trees will be fully grown but none of them are being felled until I get there, and the charcoal reserves are used up. Everything seems to be working except the golems. When I'm standing there watching, they work fine.

Edit: there are two chunks between the chunk the golems and the treefarm are in, and the one my tech stuff is, which is where I am usually standing when they decide to take a break. All have Ender Watchers.

It couldn't be a choke in the system because everything starts up again as normal once I walk over there.
VVV

Late edit: just replaced them with an MFR harvester. :effort:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 5, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Has anyone else had a problem wherein their golems don't seem to do anything when out of sight, despite being chunkloaded?

I keep noticing that when I'm around other parts of my base (or elsewhere in the world), the golems I have for cutting down trees just.. stop. I see my power level dropping, so I go over to check what's going on and all the trees will be fully grown but none of them are being felled until I get there, and the charcoal reserves are used up. Everything seems to be working except the golems. When I'm standing there watching, they work fine.

Edit: there are two chunks between the chunk the golems and the treefarm are in, and the one my tech stuff is, which is where I am usually standing when they decide to take a break. All have Ender Watchers.

Never had it be a problem of loaded/unloaded chunks. I had nightmares with my piping underground that would choke up the system and the golems would stop working then. No idea how they knew an apple got into the wood pipe or a sapling or something.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Oh Rocko, any thoughts of putting Botania in your pack? It is a tech mod too.

Progressive automation..
How the F does this stuff even work? I have never ever managed to get the tree chopper to do anything? can some one explain it to me in detail and like im 4 years old as i just cant seem to get it to do anything.

Botania was in the plan, but that would probably be another chapter of its own, and I've got roughly 2 chapter's worth of junk to write into the quest book as it is. So I cut it from the current beta plan.

The chopper has a front to it, and only works on that single square for starters. If you're doing a stone chopper, feed it some wood, a stone axe, and some saplings. If it has grass in front of it, it should slap down the sapling itself. Then you know it's going to work.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Botania was in the plan, but that would probably be another chapter of its own, and I've got roughly 2 chapter's worth of junk to write into the quest book as it is. So I cut it from the current beta plan.

The chopper has a front to it, and only works on that single square for starters. If you're doing a stone chopper, feed it some wood, a stone axe, and some saplings. If it has grass in front of it, it should slap down the sapling itself. Then you know it's going to work.

Thanks

I semi solved the problem by actually reading what was in the description. I always put it 1 block under ground. Then i tried ground level, then i put it on top but there was something blocking the front. It finally worked once i slapped a bunch of upgrades on it. Its still a pretty crappy machine. Ive upgraded to stone, doubt in this pack ill go further.

I just hope that once i get some glass all my problem are solved lol.

And botania, i know the basics, but nothing really of the other flowers or bits and pieces you can make.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Then come on over to the Disasterpack, Mesh!

Neo has done a sweet job with a Botania "tutorial" in the void dim "The Kremlin".

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
TBH I might yank the Progressive Automation tree cutter quests. With Veinminer, it is kind of dumb. Their mining machine is still a great intermediate the I believr has continued to improve. I will just expand on that instead.

Apparently, a lot of BFSR players do not even bother spelunking. They get redstone and iron out of a hill and go straight to that miner. In retrospect, that is very smart. I personally like the adventure of cave mining armorless because I am stupid.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Been a while since I did the crystal growth accelerator setup, I think I must be missing something. I have the Accelerators placed, ME Glass Cable connecting their tops, and then tried for power: Sterling Generator -> Energy Acceptor -> ME Cable, then tried Vibration Chamber -> ME Cable. Do I have to downgrade and use just quartz fiber? The accelerators stay as "Offline".

Edit: It was a power amount issue, the vibration chamber can only run one accelerator, and then they just all stay off. I must have skipped ahead to a modern power system before I did my 4-vibration chamber last time.

Devor fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 6, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Devor posted:

Edit: It was a power amount issue, the vibration chamber can only run one accelerator, and then they just all stay off. I must have skipped ahead to a modern power system before I did my 4-vibration chamber last time.
Heh. I think I will add the vibration chamber to BFSR actually. I never played with one, but it looks like a straightforward way to stretch out certus and get started on the ME network even earlier. By any chance, can the chamber be put tight alongside the accelerator? I mean, can the chamber power the accelerator without a cable?

I might have to also include the grindstone.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It should be able to, if it operates the same way as the Energy Acceptor.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Agrarian Skies 1, anyone know why my smeltery does this? It's an automatically fed set-up if that makes a difference.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

Agrarian Skies 1, anyone know why my smeltery does this? It's an automatically fed set-up if that makes a difference.

Lag, probably. If it's permanently like that then it's probably desync. Try taking the dust ore out and putting it back in again.

Smelteries were kindof buggy back then...

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah digital miner= never going anywhere.

And in your pack Rocko, witht he 100k + ore at the initial placement i turned it off with 50k left to mine and never needed to touch it again.

The growth accelerator and the chamber. Yes, i currently have the chamber sitting on top of my energy acceptor.

Oh i lie, i put that cell thing next to it once i got it. Then put the chamber on top of that.

Is there anywhere that lists RF cables and storage in terms of whats best?

Like is universal cable better than ender io conduits?
Mod packs that give multiple options but never explain why you'd want to use one over the other.
(ender IO is everything in the same block for example)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Is there anywhere that lists RF cables and storage in terms of whats best?

Like is universal cable better than ender io conduits?
Mod packs that give multiple options but never explain why you'd want to use one over the other.
(ender IO is everything in the same block for example)

Usually, holding shift while mousing over them will tell you their capacities.

Ultimate Universal Cable maxes out at 32k rf/t, EIO Ender Energy Conduits are 20k rf/t. Thermal Expansion has Resonant Fluxducts with 32k rf/t but also Cryo-Stabilised Fluxducts that have unlimited power throughput. Then there's Tesseracts which have limitless power/fluid/item throughput capabilities.

What you should use is generally dependent on what materials you have on hand. If you have a lot of EIO machines, then you'll have a lot of materials for EIO conduits.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Ultimate Universal Cable maxes out at 32k rf/t, EIO Ender Energy Conduits are 20k rf/t. Thermal Expansion has Resonant Fluxducts with 32k rf/t but also Cryo-Stabilised Fluxducts that have unlimited power throughput. Then there's Tesseracts which have limitless power/fluid/item throughput capabilities.

What you should use is generally dependent on what materials you have on hand. If you have a lot of EIO machines, then you'll have a lot of materials for EIO conduits.

true, But its nice to have it all in one place.

I know Ender IO conduits all fit in one block, i also think there are some itemducts that allow flux as well.

Never looked that cyro ones. (never knew they existed).

Maybe what im after is a change to NEI. ATM you need to know what you're looking for in order to find it.

Id like to type in 'power' and all the cables come up that are in the pack. hmmmmm

'Item pipe' would bring up conduits and itemducts as well as the pipes.

Then there is things like preference. I prefer itemducts with servos over conduits.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Going back to this because I'm finally cogent again today:

Meskhenet posted:

As for my Dad Bar skin, i cant remember what i have, i thought you could look it up?

I'd need your Minecraft username. I'm trying your SA handle, and it's not resolving to anything. The forum search was being strange to me, so I couldn't verify, but I swear we talked about this before and you might have even posted it. I can't find it, though.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

Blocks need higher heat to melt,

which is kinda hard to get. (unless you can use nitor but i dont think so.)

make the blocks into ingots and they will melt fine

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

Blocks need higher heat to melt,

which is kinda hard to get. (unless you can use nitor but i dont think so.)

make the blocks into ingots and they will melt fine

I think those are ex nilo dust ore blocks he's trying to smelt, not metal blocks.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Black Pants posted:

one point is that on some packs energy is lost through the tessaract so put 100RF/t in get 75RF/t out

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I think those are ex nilo dust ore blocks he's trying to smelt, not metal blocks.

dont you have to sieve them to get stuff then put the dusts together to make clumps then dust for ingots. the metal dust will work in the smeltery but i dont think the dust blocks are valid - isnt it a 2x2 pattern = 1 pulverised dust.

edit: Yeah you have to sift dust blocks to get the actual dust

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 6, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

dont you have to sieve them to get stuff then put the dusts together to make clumps then dust for ingots. the metal dust will work in the smeltery but i dont think the dust blocks are valid - isnt it a 2x2 pattern = 1 pulverised dust.

No, you sieve gravel, sand, or dust for ore pieces, then you combine 4 of the appropriate ore pieces for a single ore block, which you treat as normal ore: smelt in a furnace (1 ingot), put into a TE pulverizer (2 metal dusts), smelt in a Tinker Smeltery (2 ingots), etc..

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

No, you sieve gravel, sand, or dust for ore pieces, then you combine 4 of the appropriate ore pieces for a single ore block, which you treat as normal ore: smelt in a furnace (1 ingot), put into a TE pulverizer (2 metal dusts), smelt in a Tinker Smeltery (2 ingots), etc..

Yeah! - its been a while since i played factory sky 2

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Oh im Mesky401 i think for the skin,

Ive tried a few different packs today. They all seem to have these stupid mods where you spawn and there are already hostile mobs.

1 pack had mob health boosted, to like 600 for the easiest mobs. So youd have to punch it 600 times.

The 2nd pack had some mobs in certain areas just be plain immune to melee attacks. That spawn in the day.

Does anyone actually think these are fun? (or am i just hitting a patch of really lovely packs?)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

Ive tried a few different packs today. They all seem to have these stupid mods where you spawn and there are already hostile mobs.

1 pack had mob health boosted, to like 600 for the easiest mobs. So youd have to punch it 600 times.

The 2nd pack had some mobs in certain areas just be plain immune to melee attacks. That spawn in the day.

Does anyone actually think these are fun? (or am i just hitting a patch of really lovely packs?)

i think the latter, but then there are packs like banished and such where you are meant to die horibbly

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TheresaJayne posted:

one point is that on some packs energy is lost through the tessaract so put 100RF/t in get 75RF/t out

That hasn't been true since 1.5.2 - the energy loss was removed when TE moved to 1.6.4 and introduced RF.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has Progressive Automation always had that wrench that allowed players to control input and output? I was looking over the mod today for BFSR edits and was surprised to see it. I added an appropriate quest to fully-automate it. I would have done it sooner if I had known. That makes that miner a solid beginner-to-intermediate miner. That being said, I still love the sonic borer in RotaryCraft. I just wished that machine could be ripped out of the rest of that mod. It's just so satisfying to run that thing.

Meskhenet posted:

Ahh there we go. I found you! Is there anything you might like in your dialog tree when people talk to you in the Dad Bar? I am very good at making up random crap, but you might want to control the messaging muahahaha.

Also, I thought I mentioned I suspect the BFSR text itself stated that the chopper machine cut trees around itself, instead of in front of it. I found that in the quest text tonight and fixed it. I wonder if it was always like that. I could have sworn it planted around itself originally. Also, I put two and two together and I suspect whatever you got about putting water in a passive reactor explained why you were having such terrible efficiency wherever you were doing a reactor before.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
So I have this spamming my logs on banished modpack:

quote:

[02:46:58] [GA-DataSendThread/INFO] [STDERR]: [de.npe.gameanalytics.EventHandler$RESTHelper:sendData:209]: Failed to send analytics event data. Result of attempt: ok | Authentication hash used: [redacted] | Data sent: [{"install_publisher":"1.8.0_65-b17","install_site":"en_US","install_campaign":"6.1","install_adgroup":"amd64","install_ad":"Windows 7","install_keyword":"client","user_id":"[redacted]","session_id":"[redacted]","build":"unspecified"}]

Any idea what it means?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has Progressive Automation always had that wrench that allowed players to control input and output? I was looking over the mod today for BFSR edits and was surprised to see it. I added an appropriate quest to fully-automate it. I would have done it sooner if I had known. That makes that miner a solid beginner-to-intermediate miner. That being said, I still love the sonic borer in RotaryCraft. I just wished that machine could be ripped out of the rest of that mod. It's just so satisfying to run that thing.
Ahh there we go. I found you! Is there anything you might like in your dialog tree when people talk to you in the Dad Bar? I am very good at making up random crap, but you might want to control the messaging muahahaha.

Also, I thought I mentioned I suspect the BFSR text itself stated that the chopper machine cut trees around itself, instead of in front of it. I found that in the quest text tonight and fixed it. I wonder if it was always like that. I could have sworn it planted around itself originally. Also, I put two and two together and I suspect whatever you got about putting water in a passive reactor explained why you were having such terrible efficiency wherever you were doing a reactor before.

Dialogue im not fussed about.

And i wasnt getting terrible efficiency, The reactor i built in your pack was fine.

The reactor i built in a different pack i built it for max efficiency. So i was getting exactly that. But the actual power output was pretty low.
4,900 rf a tick for an 11x11x1

358.78 C
4,949.08 RF/t
0.05 mB/t
445.78 %

Efficiency

98,574.69 RF/mB
9.76 RF/block
194.43 RF/mB/block

Probably the best situation would have been to add another layer, but ender io and AE2 had a fight and the save corrupted so i never got around to it.
and the mek ore processing needed more than the 5k when active.

In your pack i put the ender from the tank you got as a reward in. Which looks like this:

481.43 C
1,465.84 RF/t
0.08 mB/t
100 %

Efficiency

17,514.73 RF/mB
11.73 RF/block
140.12 RF/mB/block

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

And i wasnt getting terrible efficiency, The reactor i built in your pack was fine.

The reactor i built in a different pack i built it for max efficiency. So i was getting exactly that. But the actual power output was pretty low.

358.78 C
4,949.08 RF/t
0.05 mB/t
445.78 %

Efficiency

98,574.69 RF/mB
9.76 RF/block
194.43 RF/mB/block

Probably the best situation would have been to add another layer, but ender io and AE2 had a fight and the save corrupted so i never got around to it.

In your pack i put the ender from the tank you got as a reward in. Which looks like this:

481.43 C
1,465.84 RF/t
0.08 mB/t
100 %

Efficiency

17,514.73 RF/mB
11.73 RF/block
140.12 RF/mB/block

yet a 7x7x3 reactor on top of a 7x7x17 ludicrite turbine produces 25krf/t at a fuel usage of 0.26 mb/t

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

358.78 C
4,949.08 RF/t
0.05 mB/t
445.78 %

Efficiency

98,574.69 RF/mB
9.76 RF/block
194.43 RF/mB/block

481.43 C
1,465.84 RF/t
0.08 mB/t
100 %

Efficiency

17,514.73 RF/mB
11.73 RF/block
140.12 RF/mB/block

yet a 7x7x3 reactor on top of a 7x7x17 ludicrite turbine produces 25krf/t at a fuel usage of 0.26 mb/t

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

you're talking turbines.

Ive never made one. I was going to build a 2nd reactor and then give a turbine a go but as i said, the game crapped out.

In fact i think Rocko said to load up BFSR to see how to build a turbine, but its only the reactor??

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

you're talking turbines.

Ive never made one. I was going to build a 2nd reactor and then give a turbine a go but as i said, the game crapped out.

In fact i think Rocko said to load up BFSR to see how to build a turbine, but its only the reactor??

the reactor is usually a 7x7 with a 3x3 fuel rods surrounded by ender

if you go to the BFSR rattle dimension you will see the turbines - i dont know if my one is there - it is on the server

the coils can be most anything but ludicrite is the best with enderium blocks second.

Shiny metal blocks are good as well, - you can also have part one part the other, so you can have a layer of ludicrite with layers of enderium on top, so that the turbine can be upgraded over time
the reason you put the turbine directly on the reactor is so that you get max steam transfer (2000mb/t)
and if you have water back down from the turbine you don't need a continuous water supply as its a closed system

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

you're talking turbines.

You have to install the beta pack.
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/bfsr-beta.806674

If that doesn't have it, then I'm waaay behind. I thought I published after getting that stuff posted online. I've since then finished a lot of other quest stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

and if you have water back down from the turbine you don't need a continuous water supply as its a closed system

Don't you still need the initial seed water?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there any mod that replicates the functions of this website in-game? http://crafting-guide.com/craft/digital_miner

My least favorite part of minecraft by far is running around collecting ingredients then running back because you're short one redstone or some poo poo.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bouchacha posted:

Is there any mod that replicates the functions of this website in-game? http://crafting-guide.com/craft/digital_miner

My least favorite part of minecraft by far is running around collecting ingredients then running back because you're short one redstone or some poo poo.

That's a neat little site. The crafting aspect of AE2 is a fun way of solving those issues, particularly if you use the crafting automation for commonly used items. If you set up ALL the sub-tasks, I think it will tell you what materials you're short on if you try to auto-craft the end result.

But to me, running around and fiddling about to create the inputs when you're short is pretty central to Minecraft gameplay. AE2 is nice that you can just shove all the pieces into one hungry maw, and let it sort out the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Don't you still need the initial seed water?

Yes but once its full then you can forget it,

so you do not need a continuous supply