Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
"That Gun" is probably the most beloved weapon in Fallout and it has 2 triggers, 2 barrels, and a cylinder but is still somehow loaded with clips. (Yes I know they're detachable box magazines you gun wanks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

sout posted:

Having played more Mass Effect, Shep just shot this guy in the face and killed him when I thought I was just going to threaten him through the dialogue wheel. Don't think I got bad karma either.
Oh well, I guess I'm roleplaying Wild Card Shepard then. Which is what I'll have to do in Fallout 4.

Sometimes shooting someone in the face is the best way to deal with a problem.

"Just wait until everyone hears about the real Shepard, I'm going to go tell the media right now!"

"No, you won't" *shots fired*

That fact that you were in a crowded bar in the capital of the galaxy didn't seem to bother any one. Though I'm pretty sure that gets you Renegade points.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Minorkos posted:

Agreement. I hope bullet casings fall upwards into the sky in Fallout 4 because frankly that's a lot cooler than them falling boringly into the ground.

Agreed, and instead of walking people should teleport by farting and have knives for eyes, and this is all just as fantastical and implausible as a gun working slightly wrong because I have severe autism.

sout posted:

Having played more Mass Effect, Shep just shot this guy in the face and killed him when I thought I was just going to threaten him through the dialogue wheel. Don't think I got bad karma either.
Oh well, I guess I'm roleplaying Wild Card Shepard then. Which is what I'll have to do in Fallout 4.

Was it the dickish corporate guy on Feros? You need bizarrely high paragon/renegade points to talk that guy down, otherwise every option leads to you shooting him in the face. Kinda strange for some mid-level office bureaucrat :shrug:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Agreed, and instead of walking people should teleport by farting and have knives for eyes, and this is all just as fantastical and implausible as a gun working slightly wrong because I have severe autism.

Was it the dickish corporate guy on Feros? You need bizarrely high paragon/renegade points to talk that guy down, otherwise every option leads to you shooting him in the face. Kinda strange for some mid-level office bureaucrat :shrug:

Yeah.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Sometimes shooting someone in the face is the best way to deal with a problem.

"Just wait until everyone hears about the real Shepard, I'm going to go tell the media right now!"

"No, you won't" *shots fired*

That fact that you were in a crowded bar in the capital of the galaxy didn't seem to bother any one. Though I'm pretty sure that gets you Renegade points.

Another favourite was shooting up Chora's Den then immediately returning there to chat with someone to continue a sidequest.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Hey guys did you know? Radiation works totally differently than shown in the game.

Bethesda is sure lazy am I right?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

lmao.
super mutants aren't real. smdh

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
but more importantly will this game's brotherhood of steel be ideologically congruent with the BoS in previous games?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
That shotgun thing is dumb now that it's been pointed out, but I didn't care before and as proof I offer up the fact that I didn't notice it. I either loot guns from boxes or lockers, or pick them up from darkened areas and spend about 5 seconds actually seeing the model independent of my character's hands. Yeah, if you go into the model files with an editor and take a picture from the side it looks dumb, but I doubt you'd notice if you just equipped it and saw the front 1/4 of the barrel and drum.

It was probably designed that way because Bethesda wanted the drum to be visible when it was equipped and didn't think to just make it a stubby gun like Obsidian did in New Vegas:

Bethesda incompetent. so what.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

The reason it's so glaring is that for the most part, pretty much every other gun in Fallout 3 and New Vegas looks like it would be 100% functional in real life.

Yeah, those plasma rifles look really loving plausible. Also I'm a retard.

quote:

That's why you can enjoy a work of fiction that does completely impossible things but still point out when it fucks up and still be drawn out of immersion when it fucks up in a way that's immediately noticeable to you. It's not wrong to find it to be a bad design decision.
I love it when people assume their five minute ponderings are somehow much more in depth than the actual design and creation process behind the asset.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Plasma weapons are some complete bullshit I mean just look at this thing who are they trying to fool

doesn't even have a trigger guard

Trigger warning: misaligned turbo encabulator

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So taking a step away from all this gun and realism talk for a game that involves atomic supermen and retro-futurism and windup laser guns - I happened to be flipping through channels and came across Indiana Jones and the Legend of the Crystal Skill just beginning on one channel. Now, whatever you may thing of the movie, the intro sequence with Area 51 and the Boom Town got me hyped again for Fallout 4. A shame the end of the intro sequence here looks like it just fades to white, but it would be cool if it pulled out and you watched Boston get destroyed.

But that also got me thinking, what if you didn't run to the Vault and get lowered to safety with your dead family? What if, instead, while you were busy running around collecting your kid you tripped and landed in the refrigerator you left wide open like a dick earlier that morning. You were then knocked out and frozen solid until the fridge's power source failed two centuries later. At some point during that time though an expedition sent out to look at conditions above came across you and dragged your sorry frozen rear end back for examination. I think Bethesda should go with that story.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Psychotic Weasel posted:

So taking a step away from all this gun and realism talk for a game that involves atomic supermen and retro-futurism and windup laser guns - I happened to be flipping through channels and came across Indiana Jones and the Legend of the Crystal Skill just beginning on one channel. Now, whatever you may thing of the movie, the intro sequence with Area 51 and the Boom Town got me hyped again for Fallout 4. A shame the end of the intro sequence here looks like it just fades to white, but it would be cool if it pulled out and you watched Boston get destroyed.

But that also got me thinking, what if you didn't run to the Vault and get lowered to safety with your dead family? What if, instead, while you were busy running around collecting your kid you tripped and landed in the refrigerator you left wide open like a dick earlier that morning. You were then knocked out and frozen solid until the fridge's power source failed two centuries later. At some point during that time though an expedition sent out to look at conditions above came across you and dragged your sorry frozen rear end back for examination. I think Bethesda should go with that story.

I'm impressed you managed to make that stupiderd than the gun derail.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm impressed you managed to make that stupiderd than the gun derail.

Thanks. After 4 pages I was getting bored.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This is a great satire of the thread, haha, no way anybody could come up with such a stupid idea accidentally.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

In this thread, everything hurts. Now pick up what you can and run.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm only just catching up with news, do yoy have to be in a het family at character gen?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rutibex posted:

I don't get this, how did the engine get worse? Like, in Morrowind the cities weren't gated and had no loading screens. I thought it was the same engine? Morrowind worked fine on the original Xbox, which had less memory than a Xbox360 or PS3, yet memory is the reason we needed loading screens in the cities?

Morrowind had most of its NPCs indoors, and didn't let them move, by and large.

You can run the cities in oblivion and skyrim outdoors if you want, mods are available for both to do that, it just runs better when they're in a separate instance with all the extra NPC clutter.

Also morrowind had a very small draw distance so you didn't have the issue of trying to make LODs for the cities.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm only just catching up with news, do yoy have to be in a het family at character gen?

yes

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Oh. Well have fun discussing guns.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Davoren posted:

In this thread, everything hurts. Now pick up what you can and run.

No. Leave it here. Leave it all here. We need this intact, this monument, this bleakest of tokens, to stand whole for ten thousand years. Scientists have pondered the perfect hazard symbol that can transcend the evolution of language, be it a skull or a spike, so that it might demarcate the worst places on this planet. But this--this will be our warning to future man.

We will all die in here so that the world might learn from our blunder and shun it for the rest of eternity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Morrowind had most of its NPCs indoors, and didn't let them move, by and large.

You can run the cities in oblivion and skyrim outdoors if you want, mods are available for both to do that, it just runs better when they're in a separate instance with all the extra NPC clutter.

Also morrowind had a very small draw distance so you didn't have the issue of trying to make LODs for the cities.

A very small draw distance to make up for the fact that the island was actually pretty small in 2D dimensions.

People who criticize games like this need to keep in mind that making them multi-platform heavily restricts exactly what it's possible to do. The Xbox One and PS4 are more powerful than their predecessors by far, but consoles remain mostly static through their lifespan without the PC's ability to constantly upgrade. A multi-platform game needs to be made workable on the worst of the platforms it's slated to be on; a PC exclusive can be made as powerful as you want, but you lose out on potential sales the more expense your audience has to pay to run your game on their machine. We've all seen with open city mods how it's fully possible for modern PCs to run open cities in Oblivion and Skyrim and New Vegas with little to no stutter, but try that kind of strain on an Xbox 360 and good luck.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Little_wh0re posted:

yes, and it surey is the end of civiization!!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

A very small draw distance to make up for the fact that the island was actually pretty small in 2D dimensions.

People who criticize games like this need to keep in mind that making them multi-platform heavily restricts exactly what it's possible to do. The Xbox One and PS4 are more powerful than their predecessors by far, but consoles remain mostly static through their lifespan without the PC's ability to constantly upgrade. A multi-platform game needs to be made workable on the worst of the platforms it's slated to be on; a PC exclusive can be made as powerful as you want, but you lose out on potential sales the more expense your audience has to pay to run your game on their machine. We've all seen with open city mods how it's fully possible for modern PCs to run open cities in Oblivion and Skyrim and New Vegas with little to no stutter, but try that kind of strain on an Xbox 360 and good luck.

People who chastise Bethesda for having towns with mere dozens of characters need to look at Dwarf Fortress - that game is loving beloved by the indie crowd, and it can't handle much more than 100 characters while being a purely ASCII game. In comparison games like Skyrim with full 3D graphics and dynamic environments seem outright wondrous.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

yes, and it surey is the end of civiization!!!

Given that this is Fallout, yes.

Seriously why is having to be straight not a problem, but a gun being innacurrate is?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Tastee posted:

Seriously why is having to be straight not a problem, but a gun being innacurrate is?

The people who are spergin over stupid gun details are not the same people freaking out over gender politics of their vidya. Both issues can be problematic at the same time without being brought to attention by the same people. Honesty I don't see how wither is a problem - gun design is purely a subject to aesthetics; PC identity is subject to the plot.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Mods can fix both problems.

steinrokkan posted:

People who chastise Bethesda for having towns with mere dozens of characters need to look at Dwarf Fortress - that game is loving beloved by the indie crowd, and it can't handle much more than 100 characters while being a purely ASCII game. In comparison games like Skyrim with full 3D graphics and dynamic environments seem outright wondrous.

But Dwarf Fortress has depth!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Then again, Dwarf Fortress is in a permanent alpha state while simultaneously trying to calculate a billion things at once. That game chugs even on an okay computer.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

This is why I think mods on the consoles are going to be hilarious.

"What do you mean my $400 console can't run texture mods? :mad:"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

Then again, Dwarf Fortress is in a permanent alpha state while simultaneously trying to calculate a billion things at once. That game chugs even on an okay computer.

Yeah. It's the perfect game to demonstrate that increasing the number of proper actors in your game basically means increasing the variable in a geometric function. It's not an arbitrary decision - the number of active characters in an active map is given by computational limitations. Dwarf Fortress makes many extra actor-oriented calculations compared to Skyrim, but Skyrim has to compute collisions for complex meshed objects... So it's a wash in the complexity regard, I think.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Tastee posted:

Neither are a problem and social warriors who care about either should be quarantined back to Reddit.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I could be gay/bi in New Vegas. I want to be gay/bi in 4. I can live without it, but it's disappointing.

Also, Social Justice Street Samurais aren't going to be found on Reddit.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr Tastee posted:

I could be gay/bi in New Vegas. I want to be gay/bi in 4. I can live without it, but it's disappointing.

You can be bi in 4, you just start in a het marriage.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Tastee posted:

I wanted to be non-american in FO3/FONV

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I wanted to be non-american in FO3/FONV

America doesn't exist any more, and it is canon there are wastelanders in Mexico, so...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Tastee posted:

America doesn't exist any more, and it is canon there are wastelanders in Mexico, so...

lol you think the worl consists of the USA and Mexico and nothing more.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Why do you have a problem with having a gay protagonist?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Three-Dog is really racist and the worst part is that he's completely correct in the game world.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Tastee posted:

why do you have a problem with a hetero protagonist

like in Anna Karenina Tolstoy made all his characters to have a quite certain sexua orientation, yet nobody seems to doubt the literally value of that novel.

My issue is that a problem that has nothing to do with the game is being made a terrible controversy.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Tastee posted:

Mr Tastee posted:

It's hilarious how dumb and autistic you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mr Tastee posted:

We put rockets on the USS Constitution, the spirit of America is alive and well in the wasteland :colbert:

• Locked thread