Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Man, the game got better but the community somehow got worse. Every match I join I think there has been a high schooler making constant noise into his mic while the chat is filled with "ggez" and half the enemy is TK'd at the start of the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Plan Z posted:

Man, the game got better but the community somehow got worse. Every match I join I think there has been a high schooler making constant noise into his mic while the chat is filled with "ggez" and half the enemy is TK'd at the start of the match.

Doesnt seem like anything has changed to me.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
it definitely has gotten worse but i think the game is just more popular

fortunately i have invested fully in funny clown masks and guns skins to counter them

the core game is still amazing and fun though. literally every time i've gotten burnt out i've just focused on a different operator and its usually enough to keep things refreshing

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mid season reinforcement stream today at 1130am ET on the Rainbow6 twitch channel

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

a blitzing blitz and invisible tripmine lasers are some things that many of players have quite literally asked for so it's gonna be interesting to see how it actually plays out

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Thief posted:

a blitzing blitz and invisible tripmine lasers are some things that many of players have quite literally asked for so it's gonna be interesting to see how it actually plays out

I hope they don't actually make the lasers invisible, that seems like way too much. Just make it so the beams flicker in random spots like big particles of dust are floating through them or something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
mid-season reinforcement stream is up now: https://go.twitch.tv/rainbow6

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Well that was disappointing

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Patch notes are up!

https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/updates//bloodorchid/reinforcements.aspx

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

^^elite jager skin adds another option for plane nerds :pilot:

Tumble posted:

I hope they don't actually make the lasers invisible, that seems like way too much. Just make it so the beams flicker in random spots like big particles of dust are floating through them or something.

they're taking a huge damage nerf with it so its not that bad.

imo an invis laser is fine but it would be cool if smoke exposed them.

Thief fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 25, 2017

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
When is it going to get to that point where we aren't even shooting at each other anymore?

As it stands now, after you break a door down to go into a room, you have to look for frost traps, now invisible laser mounts, grozmite mines stuck somewhere, invisible poison traps, while trekking through barb wire. And hope you don't get shot in the face as you scope for that.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a trap blowing off a human face — forever.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tumble posted:

One of my friends has color blindness and the lasers are literally invisible to him anyway. With the change to non-lethal, I think the new ones are fine.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is this game still a broken mess?

edit: Wow they really are doubling down on trap meta huh?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 25, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
whoah, wasn't expecting this:

quote:

We have discussed the removal of Renown from Lone Wolf Terrorist Hunt in the past as part of an effort to deter players from hacking their Renown gained from Situations and Lone Wolf Terrorist Hunt. Fortunately, we were able to find a way around this while still allowing Renown gain in these game modes!
Renown in Situations and Lone Wolf Terrorist Hunt will be earned based on the amount of time you spend playing, as opposed to your total score at the end of the game. An unfortunate side effect of this change is that the Renown gain will not scale based on difficulty level, or wins/losses.

I know I'm probably one of the only people that cares about this, but thanks for doing that change rather than just removing renown. I play terrorist hunt a lot when I just feel like shooting dudes so I was kinda bummed at the change.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Is this game still a broken mess?

Do you mean by design or in terms of bugs?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the game has only improved since operation health despite having new content delayed.

also recon is a huge part of this game and there are operators specifically tailored for it.

defenders can only have 5 dudes right? identify them and you know what to specifically look for. if op4 is entirely trappers then they are actually putting themselves at a disadvantage when they could opt for 1 valk or mira or something like that.

maybe i've played IQ too much but trap siege isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

also thatcher can just toss a few emps in the general vicinity of the obj and ruin half the traps.

my kinda ape posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a trap blowing off a human face — forever.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

How does knowing that Lesion/Ela have been picked help me avoid their invisible traps? Besides, you don't know that trap siege is in session until after you've picked your operator (unless they are picked every round which means they are poo poo ops, because they are must picks)

Having Lesion be omniscient and know exactly where on the map his trap was activated doesn't help either. Even if you somehow see a needle or concussion mine, you need to make noise to get rid of it which pretty much serves the same purpose as actually stepping on it.

If you EMP all the traps its pretty much telling the enemy exactly where you are, so that isn't exactly a counter either. Doubly so if they are also using Mute/Bandit because then your breacher is hosed.

Trap siege is dumb and takes away from what this game really had going for it, awesome destruction and gunplay.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

realtime info is what wins most games unless you are john wick

knowing they're there or not, if you're dying because of lesion/ela mines then you are doing something incredibly wrong or the person playing them has considerable game knowledge and would likely be an equal threat to you regardless of who they are playing.

grzmots are something you can just tank through tbh. the most significant thing they do is gently caress up shield users. they're the only trap in the game that is difficult to shoot before triggering if you're specifically avoiding them.

if you hate traps that much and can't rely on intuition then just play IQ and never worry about Lesion, Kapkan, Valk, Echo, Pulse or Bandit abilities again.

better yet, PLAY the operators that you are annoyed by. learn them inside out and you can counter them easier.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I fully understand how to play around and counter these characters, its just not fun gameplay

You literally can not do anything about a lesion mine in a doorway without alerting the enemy team to your exact location. Lesion has ESP with his traps too, so you don't even need to guess/deduce where the gu was tripped to know exactly where somebody is or was standing. The idea that "just run into the trap" is a workable counter to Ela mines is borderline retarded unless you are playing against the worst players out there

Clutching rounds, which has been one of the most exciting things to do, is totally hampered by having to deal with up to 7 invisible traps that slow you down and damage you over time

I'm not sure how much ~intuition~ comes into play when Ela can just throw a grzmot at your general location, or lesion can just throw 1-7 gu mines at you and you're hosed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

1d7 gu mines

Grzmot mines are also really good for stopping defuser plants.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

well i've personally been having a ton of fun but i also enjoyed kapkan and frost before this so maybe im biased? i didn't start until skull rain but iirc every significant update to this game since then has added to it for the better with the exception of glaz's thermal vision because :wtf: even then the players have just learned to deal with it and it keeps defense interesting when you can't expose yourself to shifting directions without extreme risk

The Duggler posted:

The idea that "just run into the trap" is a workable counter to Ela mines is borderline retarded unless you are playing against the worst players out there

burning ela mines early in the round is absolutely viable imo but worst case scenario you can just ignore them with greater success than shooting while drunk on yokai

if there is only one entrance available, its mined and you have seconds left to secure the obj then you've already royally hosed up. this isn't a situation that should be happening regularly and certainly shouldn't be affecting any sort of overall W:L ratios.

if anything, traps actually promote more aggressive attackers instead of trying to cheese the remaining time on the clock to "pull picks" or whatever its called in counter-strike.

grzmots aren't even the issue with ela, its her 3 speed/gun combination that makes her so incredible. she's the closest thing to a "must pick" since valk and really team composition matters gently caress all so long as you work together until you are high ranked or cyber athlete pr0league.

lesion is balanced well enough though imo. you give away your position doing almost anything in this game. destroying barbed wire is practically the same thing except you can shoot it from a safe distance without burning your explosives. shooting a camera with a silencer will alert a recon sperg to your general location. even cav makes noise while running with her ability activated.

my only gripe with the game right now is that claymores use lasers still instead of an invis trigger like krapkan

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Play Thatcher and IQ more??

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
So whats the best way to learn this game? Go play a custom game and learn all the maps? I went like 0-4 and 2 of the deaths I fell off a roof in my last game. I won a alpha pack for my performance.

SMP
May 5, 2009

There's really no way of getting better besides just playing casual. Some maps you can maybe learn in a custom, but the way people actually play on them is so wildly different from how you'd expect that you just have to learn the tricks. Anytime someone kills you, remember where and how they did it and start doing it yourself. Eventually you'll have a number of strats for every situation and can start applying them to other maps and poo poo.

Ubi should really add a newbs only (~35) que so new players can learn the game in a proper context without getting crushed by experienced players.

Some tips I don't often see mentioned:
- NEVER reinforce kid's bedroom on House. Blow the walls open and defend it from positions in master bedroom and workshop.

- Sometimes its better to not reinforce every wall and to instead open up some holes to rotate through. Generally you don't want just one way into a room. Often the attackers will take the room and start defending, so if you're stuck with one entrance in you're hosed. Rotate holes give you a chance to pop up from unexpected locations and get easier flanks. You can't really know where the best rotate hole spots are as a beginner, so just pay attention to which holes other players make.

- Put one bullet through every barricade/wall and you'll be able to hear the enemy placing breaching charges / fuzes on them much easier. This way you can shoot the window/wall and kill them or just have more time to prep.

- If you're Mute or Bandit, try and coordinate with each other, because pubbie Bandits commonly shock walls youve already muted and destroy your gadget.

- Never do a slow peek around a corner. Always stand up and quickly round the corner. Because of how ping works, it means an aggressor is always going to get like a half second reaction time advantage. Unless the angle you're holding is incredibly tight, it's usually better to just stay behind cover and frequently peek.

- Never shoot out a Mira window. They're for mainly gathering intel (is the enemy approaching, etc.) so you can time your attack better. They're most useful in a crouched position on an unreinforced wall. The enemy can't shoot through it so you have some cover when crouched, but when you see them just stand up and shoot. The trick is figuring out which walls are more useful as unreinforced Mira killholes.

- Try to place barbed wire in spots where an attacker would reallllly have to reveal themselves to destroy. If you want to block up a doorway, try dropping the wire a little inwards so anyone trying to melee it has to practically walk into the room.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

poe meater posted:

So whats the best way to learn this game? Go play a custom game and learn all the maps? I went like 0-4 and 2 of the deaths I fell off a roof in my last game. I won a alpha pack for my performance.

Play with people who aren't super-reatards.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

poe meater posted:

Tune into some maciejay twitch streams for full rounds, and check out his YouTube channel for videos about specific operators. When he streams he's consistently describing why he's doing something or what his plan of attack is. I've found the pro league streamers play a little more seriously and don't devote much time to explaining what they're doing because they're focused on winning, which makes it a little harder to learn from but it's still good.

That and playing some Terrorist Hunt missions online to work on your map knowledge. You can create a custom game and hop into a map as well if you want to poke around, but I've only ever found the need to do t-hunts. Early on I would constantly lose track of where the cameras outside were...

There is a pretty steep learning curve but to be honest it's almost entirely map knowledge. You learn the quirks of each operator but they're abilities usually deal with navigating the destructable environment or getting information.

Also don't be afraid to try things. I remember in like the first month playing finally getting the courage to kool-aid man rush with Sledge and enjoyed every minute of it.

Also the reason I recommend YouTube (and maciejay in particular) is because as someone first starting out, the moment you see him make a rotate hole with an impact grenade in a spot that never occurred to you, or use Cav's shotgun to drop from 2nd floor Consulate to the 1st floor and then to the basement through hatches you didn't know were directly on top of each other will instantly leave an impression. The times when you decide to be a wizard and generate a door are the best.

Also ask questions in VoIP chat, some people are toxic but you'll more than likely get someone who likes answering questions.

And do all of the situations

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One thing I like about Siege is that it's a character action game where team comp isn't a huge thing. I quit Overwatch because I just ended up playing healer because I didn't want to get destroyed by the other team. So this sweet-looking game where you can kill people with a giant Hammer Man or a teleporting Skull Shotgun Man just turned into a game where I played a sweet lady with a healing stick. But with Siege, unless I'm doing ranked with serious dudes, I can just pick whatever damned hero I please. Like you'll get a person screeching at you to pick Rook, but he's not a necessity and can be much better replaced by a player playing a character they play well.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Honestly, you don't need Rook at all. The extra armor is great but there's not a lot of firefights you get in where you don't get shot in the head or ambushed and killed before you can react, and it's VERY rare that the extra down chance actually leads to you getting helped back up. He's certainly not a don't-pick, but far from a must-pick like healers are in Overwatch.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Penpal posted:

Tune into some maciejay twitch streams for full rounds, and check out his YouTube channel for videos about specific operators. When he streams he's consistently describing why he's doing something or what his plan of attack is. I've found the pro league streamers play a little more seriously and don't devote much time to explaining what they're doing because they're focused on winning, which makes it a little harder to learn from but it's still good.

That and playing some Terrorist Hunt missions online to work on your map knowledge. You can create a custom game and hop into a map as well if you want to poke around, but I've only ever found the need to do t-hunts. Early on I would constantly lose track of where the cameras outside were...

There is a pretty steep learning curve but to be honest it's almost entirely map knowledge. You learn the quirks of each operator but they're abilities usually deal with navigating the destructable environment or getting information.

Also don't be afraid to try things. I remember in like the first month playing finally getting the courage to kool-aid man rush with Sledge and enjoyed every minute of it.

Also the reason I recommend YouTube (and maciejay in particular) is because as someone first starting out, the moment you see him make a rotate hole with an impact grenade in a spot that never occurred to you, or use Cav's shotgun to drop from 2nd floor Consulate to the 1st floor and then to the basement through hatches you didn't know were directly on top of each other will instantly leave an impression. The times when you decide to be a wizard and generate a door are the best.

Also ask questions in VoIP chat, some people are toxic but you'll more than likely get someone who likes answering questions.

And do all of the situations

All great advice, I've picked up some neat tricks from watching Macie and Serenity17.

Also, this is a no-brainer but if you've got the HD texture pack installed just uninstall it and try going with lower graphical settings. I just did this for my GTX 1070 and I'm noticing a significant difference in FPS. Aiming feels much crisper and precise and my shot placement has seen a significant improvement.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om9ksxELU9k

shoot bullets into walls because on the off chance they connect it makes ppl think you might be cheating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRqbdlH6-1U

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Honestly, you don't need Rook at all.

rook is my lazy mode pick when i don't want to really pay attention or mess around with recruit loadouts

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
if someone just sees your foot through a drone hole or your leg sticking out next to a table or something then rook armor is really helpful. these days normally I'd rather have doc though.

honestly the worst part about rook thats been bothering me more lately is the extra 5+ seconds he adds to deployment time. I tend to play bandit or mute and often find myself on ceiling tile duty too, so having to scram for the rook armor can actually be a noticeable hindrance. especially when rook screams your ear out for his 10 points if you ignore it, or when he finds the most exposed place possible to slap it down so that when I come back to it as setup is finishing I have the added fun of trying to dodge the enemy's bullets as I put the armor on

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFnMWMdyas

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There are no "team comps" but you are at a pretty big disadvantage on offense if you don't have at least Thermite or Hibana and maybe Thatcher/IQ these days.Since breaking through reinforced walls is huge in going around the majority of the traps that are now all over the drat floor in these games. Defense definitely has a lot more freedom to choose their ops since at the end of the day the gadgets are just a means of slowing down the attackers and bullets to the head are the great equalizer.

Speaking of Rook, why isn't there a way to show on the HUD who has and hasen't gotten their armor packs? Just like, turn the health bars of everybody that is already on the UI green or something if they pick up their vest that way i can yell at the roamers that ran out without getting a vest more easily communicate to sombody "hey man, grab your shirt before you leave"

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 26, 2017

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
In EU gold/plat I feel like IQ is becoming a must have, mostly to smash outdoors Valk cams that defender use to go harass attackers.
Now that they fixed indoor/outdoor light change and removed the yellow filter, defenders are way, way more agressive.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/2OLfpjq.mp4
:feelsgood:

Also just got my first hackusation, because I shot a guy through a barricaded window after he punched a hole into it and stood in front of the hole.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The fact that there is one operator capable of healing is an amazing part of this game, one I hope they never change.

I'd say that there are only good operators and questionable pick operators, but if you can shoot gun good then none of it matters, and a lot guns in this game can shoot good.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Can't help but lol when the patch gets delayed

It's by like a couple of hours but it's still pretty funny all things considered, like laughing at your friend who's face gets flush when they're talking to a crush

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/o760u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Kapkan 2 is pretty cool. I'm getting probably five+ times as many trap triggers as before so while most of them aren't fatal the traps are causing a lot more damage overall.

I got two trap kills at the end of a round on house when their last two players managed to run through three different traps.

• Locked thread