Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Yeah, no guarantees at all with a 3x draw. They're not a good idea, generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So complete newbie question here; is it better to roll on x3 or x11? From what I can see, the advantage of x11 is that it gives you an extra draw for free, but both only guarantee one 5* item, so it seems like I'd get more worthwhile stuff for my mythril with the x3 draws. Are the odds of getting multiple 5* items enough to make the free extra draw from the x11 worthwhile or is x3 always the way to go?

*edit* or am I just misunderstanding the text and only 11 guarantees a 5*?

Yes, only 11 pulls guarantee a 5*, although for the seasonal festivals we get a parade of 3 pulls from each realm that also have a G5.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Any idea when that Earth banner's gonna be? My Earth indeed does suck so I'm considering pulling, but if an Earth banner that's potentially better is coming soon, I'll wait. I'm in no rush.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

All we know is it will have Ingus chain (great) and Tifa USB (...meh?). The upcoming FFVX event doesn't have a second banner so that would be a free slot, might end up with another of the elems there though.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 4, 2018

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
One more pull on the holy banner because screw it, that still leaves almost 100 mythril saved: 2x Orlandeau USB, and Beatrix BSB2. That'll do!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Huh, FF2 had music from Swan Lake? They play it on the Rebel Army Camp stage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I almost have this Tiamat Last Stand strat down. If I can get this to work I will be so happy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Avalerion posted:

All we know is it will have Ingus chain (great) and Tifa USB (...meh?). The upcoming FFVX event doesn't have a second banner so that would be a free slot, might end up with another of the elems there though.

If the Ignis event takes the Earth banner, expect to see Gladio's BSB and OSB there again. Otherwise, I'd expect it would have the Fire banner to go along with Ignis element set.

The next FF3 event should have the Dark banner as its second if it follows the JP logic (Cloud of Darkness got an OSB that debuted on an elemental pickup banner then), but past that, they're all wild cards.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Nailed it

That was stressful but repeatable. As soon as I get the motes to LD Ayame I can probably sub 30 consistently.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ha, looks like we are getting earth banner now after all. Already have the chain so feel kind of meh about it, someone feel free to change my mind though.

Ingus CSB
Tifa USB1
Dorgann USB
Galuf USB

Tifa BSB2
Dorgann BSB
Galuf BSB2
Gladiolus BSB
Ursula BSB

Tifa LMR2
Dorgann LMR
Galuf LMR
Gladiolus LMR2
Ursula LMR

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I want that chain, but Tifa and Galuf USB are pretty bad, I seem to recall? Dunno about Dorgann's. No Maria BSB or Gladio OSB is weird, too. How many of those are +earth?

I'm at a weird stage now where aside from a few missing chains, I have some insanely strong relics in every element - now I just need poo poo like OK's USBs, and a good healer USB, but the latter especially seems to be really hard to get. I just want an instant cast last stand medica so I have some breathing room in these magicite fights, dammit.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tifa is 10x earth attacks and haste, regen and non-elemental radiant shield. Galuf is atk/mag, haste and enearth. :effort:

Dorgaan is actually good - rank based chase like Beatrix.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Chain is a chain, Dorgann tech is fantastic and the LMRs are decent. Galuf USB is bad, but it's surprisingly good in CMs. I'm getting a lot of use out of it but that probably speaks more to my earth situation than the USB itself.

Everything else is garbage. This banner is OK but I think the Cinque or FF2 banner is probably better for earth.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
My earth coverage includes Dingus CSB, Tifa BSB1, Maria BSB and Meliadoul USB so it's a hard pass from me. If I fancy any other earth stuff I can wait for the Cinque banner because some Type-0 realm synergy might be nice.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
That's probably the most well rounded elemental banner so far. All the LMRs are either en-element or double cast and all of the 6* relics are perfectly fine against Ixion. Galuf and Tifa are weak on paper but if we consider the fight we're up against they seem a lot better - I would much rather have Tifa's USB1 against Ixion than for example Pecil against Hades.

Some +earth relics which are rare. No standouts in the BSB section unfortunately.

I'm not looking for Ixion killing power myself so I'm not pulling.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I have all of Dorgann's stuff, and he is fully legend dove. I have an R5 Earthbringer to use with him and he absolutely wrecks things weak to earth. If you had a chain the chaser would be even better I am certain.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm gonna tackle the Crystal Tower today. This one seems a lot easier than the previous two. Any pitfalls I should watch out for?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm gonna tackle the Crystal Tower today. This one seems a lot easier than the previous two. Any pitfalls I should watch out for?

I think Cerberus is the tricky one to deal with. He'll getcha with the status ailments (including an AOE Berserk), and if not, there's still a lot of bursty magic damage to deal with.

Twintania's tough, but straightforward. The faster you can beat him, the better.

The others aren't anything special, but still prepare for them like they're 220 fights.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks. I beat them all on the first try. They were all easy but gently caress dispel. Seriously gently caress that poo poo. Get rid of that DeNa. Or make it so you can blink it or something.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tifa LMR2 is her enearth, right?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Yup. Earth+ armor too, I think.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ceaselessfuture posted:

Everything else is garbage. This banner is OK but I think the Cinque or FF2 banner is probably better for earth.

My pull on the II banner gave me Minwu USB and Emperor USB, my earth coverage isn't feeling like it improved much.

They'll hopefully change but right now I have enough dupes on the next fest's banners that I shouldn't pull on them.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I'm getting around to doing the crystal tower.

Can I be honest with you guys, I think I'm really starting to regret Squall's dive. He NEVER seems to double use his spellblades, ever, unless I put the Spellblade Master record materia on him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Armitage posted:

Can I be honest with you guys, I think I'm really starting to regret Squall's dive. He NEVER seems to double use his spellblades, ever, unless I put the Spellblade Master record materia on him.

It's just bad RNG. I have the same problem with Terra. Keep at it.

Also don't put that RM on him. Always give him +sword damage or +ice damage.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

pichupal posted:

Yup. Earth+ armor too, I think.
that makes it 4 dupes for me, then. Maybe someday they'll put out an elemental banner I can draw on

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Always give him +sword damage or +ice damage.

Squall with BSB I asume? If so I like running that with thunder god rm.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i won’t say i regret diving squall because every double cast dive has treated me exceptionally well, but i will say the amount of prep time required to charge his meter, cast his burst, stack up 3 junctions, and then go to town really cuts into his effectiveness, especially compared to my other two boss munch team a-listers shadow and tidus, whose entire order of operations is more or less “cast usb, spam abilities until something dies”. 90% of bosses i fight will have been diced into little cubes by the time squall finally gets his foot in the door.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i won’t say i regret diving squall because every double cast dive has treated me exceptionally well, but i will say the amount of prep time required to charge his meter, cast his burst, stack up 3 junctions, and then go to town really cuts into his effectiveness, especially compared to my other two boss munch team a-listers shadow and tidus, whose entire order of operations is more or less “cast usb, spam abilities until something dies”. 90% of bosses i fight will have been diced into little cubes by the time squall finally gets his foot in the door.

He works best if you pair him with an Entrust-Bot and give him Orlandeau's Thunder God RM, that lets him get off the ground real quick and get much more work down off that initial burst.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Armitage posted:

That's something you just have to get used to. W-cast procs never seem to happen as much as you want, and definitely never when you really need them. Just keep in mind that even if you get fantastically unlucky and don't get any procs or crits inside of his burst window, he'll still be doing 19.9 potency of damage over five turns, or 3.98 per turn. With the TG Mode RM, that becomes 37.4 potency over 7 turns, or 7.48 per turn. For comparison, his BSB entry does 6.64 potency, so it would be like spamming five of those but without using any SB juice. And again, that's the worst case scenario without any w-cast procs or crits. Even in that case he's doing insane dps.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Avalerion posted:

Squall with BSB I asume? If so I like running that with thunder god rm.

Can he hit 9999 with BSB2 command 2 using that?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hitting 9999 doesn't matter, it's still a huge dps increase because it gives you two extra turns in burst mode. Based on the numbers in my previous post, it's equivalent to an 88% dps boost in burst mode, and it also means he gets his burst going sooner. And hitting 9999 isn't always a good thing, because it makes crits worthless. A fully powered Lowen Roar gets +25% to crit, so that's a significant damage loss. Ideally you want to be around 6666 damage without any crit damage boosts.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

He does for me but I got OK ninja buff, so yea most of his hits crit. (this is against Fenrir, not up to Tiamat yet).

Another thing I heard is that you shouldn't go out of your way to try get three stacks of cmd1, just use it twice and if you get a double cast great, if not spam cmd2 anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Another thing I heard is that you shouldn't go out of your way to try get three stacks of cmd1, just use it twice and if you get a double cast great, if not spam cmd2 anyway.

Nah, it's always better to fully charge Lowen Roar. Trust me, I've done a lot of math on this.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah, it's always better to fully charge Lowen Roar. Trust me, I've done a lot of math on this.

In pure potency terms, maybe, but if you're already close to capping per hit after two junctions it's generally not worth spending a turn just for the extra hit.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Hitting for 9999 is perfect. Hitting for even a single point of damage harder is wasted damage. If your characters are hammering the damage cap there're potentially ways for you to improve their performance in other areas while lowering the focus on damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

In pure potency terms, maybe, but if you're already close to capping per hit after two junctions it's generally not worth spending a turn just for the extra hit.

Even then it's not a huge difference - 4 turns of 70k damage each vs 5 turns of 60k. Besides, I'd say that if you can hit the damage cap on a 1.05 potency hit, then you're not in a fight difficult enough for it to really matter.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I first beat Tiamat right around the beginning of fest, but it was a tedious slog and horribly inconsistent, so I put it on the back burner after like three clears. Yesterday I retooled the team to not suck and did a few clears, and I think with good doublecast rng I might be able to sub 30 the fight now. The new team isn't running a boostga at all. :v:

Fake edit:

Fister Roboto posted:

Even then it's not a huge difference - 4 turns of 70k damage each vs 5 turns of 60k. Besides, I'd say that if you can hit the damage cap on a 1.05 potency hit, then you're not in a fight difficult enough for it to really matter.

That Tiamat team is literally what I had in mind when I wrote that. Chains are powerful friend. There's also the possibility for that extra Lowen Roar to doublecast, which shifts the balance further in its favor.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
If you're doing insta-cast shenanigans (e.g. Raijin) and a crit-fix, would Spellblade Master actually pull ahead? In that case, you'd be critting/capping 75%+magicite boosts of your Lowen Roar hits. So you're trading 30%-40% of your damage on everything else for small chances at extra Lowen Roars which have big payoffs. Probably just really RNG dependent: First Junction triple casts-> at least 2 more Lowen Roars (maybe more), Third junction triple casts->like 10k damage.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 5, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I need to try Tiamat again since I've got Squall's BSB2 now, but ugh I just have so many bad memories of getting him down to like 30% only to have him go apeshit and drop like 3-4 AoE nukes in a row before I can even get a heal off, and that is the kind of poo poo that I hate most about this game. Magicite fights take way too long as is and having every single boss design be "easy as poo poo until you almost beat it and then suddenly you're hosed" is just garbage and every time I've considered just walking away from this game, it's because of that.

I like everything else enough to keep playing, but man I wish they'd come up with ways to make content that is both fun and challenging - I'm not a game dev but I feel like there has to a way to keep people from facerolling everything aside from insanely unfun enrage modes and mass dispel spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I have USB/BSB combos but no LMRs for Eiko, Selphie and Relm and I can’t decide which to dive. Eiko can bard, Selphie can dual cast, Relm’s got that party wide instant action thing. I want all of those things.

• Locked thread