Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Maneck posted:

Your app is through, but the new system relies on CCP's ESi system. And after you join in game there can be quite a delay before the ESI system reports you as being in Goonwaffe. Until then, you won't have services access.

When the new system was launched, it seemed that two to four hours was a normal wait. More recently we've been hearing to 12 to 24 hours regularly.

Keep your ESI up to date everyone. And remember that if you reset your password it resets your ESI so you have to register your new ESI pronto.

The ESI really does appear to be a big sack of manure doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

wafflethief posted:

The ESI really does appear to be a big sack of manure doesn't it?

yeah going on 5 hours for me. lol. Ill wait till tomorrow. Im dicking around in high sec right now. Got my alt back online and cashed in 4 years worth of rp.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've tried to get into EVE a dozen-ish times over the years, doing a month or two of low-sec PvP here and there, some FW one time but generally just puttering around for a couple weeks, having fun but ultimately not finding what I wanted to do. The game still fascinates me and I actually like the way its combat controls in a PvP sense so I guess ultimately small gang stuff is my potential niche, but I've got a couple probably extremely dumb questions and caveats along those lines.

Is it at all viable to make money on your own in this game? I've got three or four characters from restarting over the years, capping out around 4m SP all with mostly time invested in frigates and maybe a little destroyer/cruiser skills, so I'd need to put money or time into reaching a place where I could do something like incursions, deadspace or really anything at all. I'm not asking to make billions or fund the loss of a T3 every other week but covering AFs or maybe some pricier cruisers seems like, at one time anyway, it should have been achievable even if I need to go join an incursion community or whatever.

Obviously small scale and especially solo PvP is as much a game of choosing your fights as anything, but does it even meaningfully exist at the moment? Traveling around while checking on assets and stuff was pretty rife with 5+ man gatecamps and low-sec systems with a bunch of people from alliance roams but I rarely saw anyone out on their own. I haven't checked null much at all but I assume that kind of fight is out there, but since I'm so far behind the eight ball on skills is that even something I can side-eye much less attempt?

And yeah I know, don't play EVE alone, join goons, get showered in money and PvP for free but I did that back around, I forget actually, maybe right at the start of Fountain War Redux or whatever that was was called ~2014/15 and the culture on voice and in jabber was very much not my thing. If the answer is that that kind of thing is ultimately unviable or I'd have to join some random alliance that's even worse then oh well, I appreciate the answers.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
I really gotta deal with my lurking-and-not-posting issue cos I've been knocked back applying to join due to not being active enough on the forums. Sitting in eve-uni at the moment figuring out everything that's changed while I was away. Corp I was in before my ccp-enforced hiatus isnt really viable now since it was a capital corp and I'm not going to spend real monies to buy a capital pilot.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Orv posted:

I've tried to get into EVE a dozen-ish times over the years, doing a month or two of low-sec PvP here and there, some FW one time but generally just puttering around for a couple weeks, having fun but ultimately not finding what I wanted to do. The game still fascinates me and I actually like the way its combat controls in a PvP sense so I guess ultimately small gang stuff is my potential niche, but I've got a couple probably extremely dumb questions and caveats along those lines.

Is it at all viable to make money on your own in this game? I've got three or four characters from restarting over the years, capping out around 4m SP all with mostly time invested in frigates and maybe a little destroyer/cruiser skills, so I'd need to put money or time into reaching a place where I could do something like incursions, deadspace or really anything at all. I'm not asking to make billions or fund the loss of a T3 every other week but covering AFs or maybe some pricier cruisers seems like, at one time anyway, it should have been achievable even if I need to go join an incursion community or whatever.

Obviously small scale and especially solo PvP is as much a game of choosing your fights as anything, but does it even meaningfully exist at the moment? Traveling around while checking on assets and stuff was pretty rife with 5+ man gatecamps and low-sec systems with a bunch of people from alliance roams but I rarely saw anyone out on their own. I haven't checked null much at all but I assume that kind of fight is out there, but since I'm so far behind the eight ball on skills is that even something I can side-eye much less attempt?

And yeah I know, don't play EVE alone, join goons, get showered in money and PvP for free but I did that back around, I forget actually, maybe right at the start of Fountain War Redux or whatever that was was called ~2014/15 and the culture on voice and in jabber was very much not my thing. If the answer is that that kind of thing is ultimately unviable or I'd have to join some random alliance that's even worse then oh well, I appreciate the answers.

What about the culture of the time drove you away? In recent years there has been a lot of work to squelch and shame "ironic" sexism/racism/etc. on mumble/jabber to the point where we actually have mumble cops (who mostly just gag idiots breathing into their voice-activated mic).

Orv
May 4, 2011

dragonshardz posted:

What about the culture of the time drove you away? In recent years there has been a lot of work to squelch and shame "ironic" sexism/racism/etc. on mumble/jabber to the point where we actually have mumble cops (who mostly just gag idiots breathing into their voice-activated mic).

The hosed up stuff definitely didn't help but just the sense of humor in general didn't mesh with me. I've got a weird sense of humor at the best of times and there's nothing that like, stands out from what I remember as problematic or wrong (aside from those things) it just wasn't for me and that's on my tolerance more than goons being at fault. At worst I think goons have a tendency to try and be the funniest guy in the room whenever you get enough of them together, but who knows, I've chilled out a lot in recent years myself so it might be worth another go.

Grapefist
Feb 11, 2007

*Beep Boop*
I AM a robot
*Beep Boop*
I bought a naglfar just over 2 days ago and it still doesn't show up for applying to capswarm. I take it that's also the fault of this new lovely ESI?

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Grapefist posted:

I bought a naglfar just over 2 days ago and it still doesn't show up for applying to capswarm. I take it that's also the fault of this new lovely ESI?

Probably.

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008

Grapefist posted:

You're not alone. I've been waiting over 36 hours so far for my character to show up on the ESI just so I can get my usual access to Jabber/etc.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

wafflethief posted:

I really gotta deal with my lurking-and-not-posting issue cos I've been knocked back applying to join due to not being active enough on the forums. Sitting in eve-uni at the moment figuring out everything that's changed while I was away. Corp I was in before my ccp-enforced hiatus isnt really viable now since it was a capital corp and I'm not going to spend real monies to buy a capital pilot.

Join karmafleet. They don't care about post count. Also you probably shot yourself In the foot of ever joining waffe making a post like this. Hth

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Join karmafleet. They don't care about post count. Also you probably shot yourself In the foot of ever joining waffe making a post like this. Hth

i'm actually enjoying eve uni at the moment anyways, they don't care when i screw things up out of sheer stupidity / clumsiness / not even looking at my screen >.> so i might stay there for a while and see how things go. i'll keep karmafleet in mind if i get bored though.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
KF recruitment is open, even with the war on. Feel free to drop in Public Karma and read the MOTD.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Nah, it's no big deal if a long time SA member posts here before they join. It's the guys with month old SA accounts who start posting here to get their post count up that raise red flags.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Maneck posted:

Nah, it's no big deal if a long time SA member posts here before they join. It's the guys with month old SA accounts who start posting here to get their post count up that raise red flags.

Yea I can see that raising eyebrows. I've been a member since I originally went out to nullsec in an allied corp, but I think only ever posted a half dozen times. Think I'd only previously head of SA from the starfleet dental guys in star trek online when they were trolling the hell out of everybody. moved from that to eve, started carebearing then moved out to null. Just popped on every now and then and have a browse through, see whats going on, but never really bothered to actually post what I was thinking. Just never thought anybody would actually care what I had to say, which is probably true and I still struggle to overcome it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wafflethief posted:

Yea I can see that raising eyebrows. I've been a member since I originally went out to nullsec in an allied corp, but I think only ever posted a half dozen times. Think I'd only previously head of SA from the starfleet dental guys in star trek online when they were trolling the hell out of everybody. moved from that to eve, started carebearing then moved out to null. Just popped on every now and then and have a browse through, see whats going on, but never really bothered to actually post what I was thinking. Just never thought anybody would actually care what I had to say, which is probably true and I still struggle to overcome it.

All you have to remember is :justpost: friendo. Never be afraid to post what you want to post.

I make posts like I fart, often, and stinky.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Orv posted:

Small gang pvp is real, and strong, and is my friend, but you will not find it in null sec and, increasingly, not in wormhole space. Solo pvp remains difficult since you’ll get “blobbed” by 3 or 4 people, but there are pilots that do it. Imo this game is intolerable to play by yourself but I don’t have objective measures to back that up. Money-making is easier than ever.

The culture of goonswarm is roughly the same as it has been since... I dunno, since goons became the leader of the largest bloc of players, so probably a year or two into the CFC. The one improvement is that fewer people say the n word.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Small gang pvp is real, and strong, and is my friend, but you will not find it in null sec and, increasingly, not in wormhole space. Solo pvp remains difficult since you’ll get “blobbed” by 3 or 4 people, but there are pilots that do it. Imo this game is intolerable to play by yourself but I don’t have objective measures to back that up. Money-making is easier than ever.

The culture of goonswarm is roughly the same as it has been since... I dunno, since goons became the leader of the largest bloc of players, so probably a year or two into the CFC. The one improvement is that fewer people say the n word.

Fair enough, thanks. How I play games and what I want out of them has shifted pretty significantly in the last couple years so I thought I'd give EVE another try since last time I did I was in the middle of being hardcore into being "good" at shooters and now I'm all old and slow and poo poo, but if it still just comes out as not my thing, that's life.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Well I'm a dipshit and missed the move ops so now I need to figure out how to get my dumb rear end to staging without getting gatecamped. gently caress me running

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Kazinsal posted:

Well I'm a dipshit and missed the move ops so now I need to figure out how to get my dumb rear end to staging without getting gatecamped. gently caress me running

A helpful goon has posted a thing on how to do this while reducing your chances of becoming an amusing but quickly forgotten killmail.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kazinsal posted:

just bop up in a taxi and buy a ship in staging. contracts get regularly stocked, eagles are kinda expensive but that's because half of goonswarm has bought one.

definitely don't bother spending all the fuel to jump a cap all the way up on your own. any fights in this war are with subcaps, and I think it's 50/50 whether NCPL even brings a fight again. they got their win to brag about for the next 6 months.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
still waiting on my esi to go thru. ccp made a booboo

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Jst0rm posted:

still waiting on my esi to go thru. ccp made a booboo

Wait for the weekend before poking someone on jabber. Apparently even those goons with a sapce job (aka pushing butan powers) have a RL too.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

froody guy posted:

Wait for the weekend before poking someone on jabber. Apparently even those goons with a sapce job (aka pushing butan powers) have a RL too.

AFAIK this is not strictly a poking goons thing. I learned from a knowledgeable person affected by this issue that the ESI itself is showing the changes faster in response to individual calls. But they're still not showing in corp in our system (or EVEWHO) for a long time. I assume there's some sort of CCP imposed refresh limit causing this.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
Well, in lowsec politics, Shoot First (Escalating Entropy version 2.0) have decided to deploy within range of Snuff. These guys previously would change timers to AUTZ if we reff'd them because they didnt actually want to fight.

However, it should provide some good content for us and not having to fight under citadel DPS will also be nice.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, I joined an old FW corp I was in briefly five years ago, remembering them - all like, nine of them at the time - to be chill and normal-ish human beings and now they are not nine people and they super aren't. However my GSF account is listed as WoL because once upon a time I played a bad robot game, do I need to go through returning or other? I'm assuming other given "use our stuff to play other games" but my character was in Groon at one point and I don't remotely remember any of the account stuff happening or not.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Klyith posted:

just bop up in a taxi and buy a ship in staging. contracts get regularly stocked, eagles are kinda expensive but that's because half of goonswarm has bought one.

definitely don't bother spending all the fuel to jump a cap all the way up on your own. any fights in this war are with subcaps, and I think it's 50/50 whether NCPL even brings a fight again. they got their win to brag about for the next 6 months.

Yeah good call. I didn't have anything much bigger than a Megathron to bring up there so I'll grab myself an Ares or something and hope I don't get caught in a bubble and fragged on the way up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kazinsal posted:

so I'll grab myself an Ares or something and hope I don't get caught in a bubble and fragged on the way up.

Good news! The Ares (and 3 other interceptors) can't be caught in a bubble because they've got nullification now. Fit your ares with 2 inertial stabilizers and a nanofiber so it warps in under 2 seconds to make it uncatchable by most other things. You can only be fragged by smartbombing camps (people now sit at gates with 2 or 3 smartbombing battleships specifically to kill taxi inties) or someone who lives next door to the servers in London.

Orv posted:

However my GSF account is listed as WoL because once upon a time I played a bad robot game, do I need to go through returning or other?

I believe you need to email newbies@goonfleet with your GSF/WoL forums name, your SA name, and your eve guys.

Loky11 posted:

Well, in lowsec politics, Shoot First (Escalating Entropy version 2.0) have decided to deploy within range of Snuff. These guys previously would change timers to AUTZ if we reff'd them because they didnt actually want to fight.

However, it should provide some good content for us and not having to fight under citadel DPS will also be nice.

So what do lowsec groups fight over nowadays? Snuff et all used to monopolize the lowsec moons, are you now mining them the hard way? Or do you just fight whoever puts down a citadel close enough to be stepping on your corner?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thanks.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Klyith posted:

So what do lowsec groups fight over nowadays? Snuff et all used to monopolize the lowsec moons, are you now mining them the hard way? Or do you just fight whoever puts down a citadel close enough to be stepping on your corner?

We mine them the good old fashioned hard way now. We also rent some out, etc etc like most other groups. Also running protection rackets on moons within our tantrum sphere is a thing. Obviously running rorquals in lowsec is different than null but they provide decent content.

To answer the content thing, it's mostly just bashing someone's moon ops or citadels to force someone to fight. Less fun than a pos fight and can be more challenging because of citadel dps pressure but still okish.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Lowsec is just the purgatory area before the real content starts.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

ragedx posted:

Lowsec is just the purgatory area before the real content starts.

if by "real content" you mean endless ferox, harpy, and jackdaw fleets then i guess you can have that lmao.

I'll take high grade slaved faction battleships under triage over that poo poo any day.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

Well, I joined an old FW corp I was in briefly five years ago, remembering them - all like, nine of them at the time - to be chill and normal-ish human beings and now they are not nine people and they super aren't. However my GSF account is listed as WoL because once upon a time I played a bad robot game, do I need to go through returning or other? I'm assuming other given "use our stuff to play other games" but my character was in Groon at one point and I don't remotely remember any of the account stuff happening or not.

Sup fellow bad robot game player.

I can't speak for any of the groon stuff or whatever but the WoL thing means you should go through the alternative process where you email newbies@goonfleet instead of trying to fill out a form normally. You'll be decapitated instantly for having two forum accounts if you sign up the other way, the WoL account is real and the one you should be using.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I sorta figured, thanks. For what little it's worth I think my time in Groon consisted entirely of driving to their space, logging off one night and just never logging back on until I was kicked. :v: But I doubt that really matters at all, I'll probably be fine.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Loky11 posted:

if by "real content" you mean endless ferox, harpy, and jackdaw fleets then i guess you can have that lmao.

I'll take high grade slaved faction battleships under triage over that poo poo any day.

once my esi gets sorted I would like to play in low sec. That was always the most fun I had in eve. Once my esi is cool I can check the "other" forums for the locations. Im already -7.1 :getin:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What is WoL?

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Ynglaur posted:

What is WoL?

Word of Lowtax, the SA MechWarrior Online group

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I don't know what's going on with the ESIs. If anyone is waiting on the system to push them through, send an email to newbies@goonfleet.com and I'll do my best to get you fixed up.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Loky11 posted:

yeah this jaunt in low sec is the most fun i've had in the game in years. snaked kikimoras and piles of welpable Harbingers as far as the eye can see

plus the group I'm in has like no blues so we third party on all sorts of stuff, like that fight between snuff and shoot first over their fort armor timer a couple of days ago. not sure i'd ever go back to the null stuff after this

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

yeah this jaunt in low sec is the most fun i've had in the game in years. snaked kikimoras and piles of welpable Harbingers as far as the eye can see

plus the group I'm in has like no blues so we third party on all sorts of stuff, like that fight between snuff and shoot first over their fort armor timer a couple of days ago. not sure i'd ever go back to the null stuff after this

is it a goon low sec wing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

are you in DHSJ?

Shoot First is deploying up into Essence to "disrupt snuff mining ops in USTZ" and shoot us. It's going to be great.

Anyone tried the new HAC yet? i've seen some people running around with it but until prices stabilize I'm probably not going to run one.