Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm really sad they changed the Bestiary to now use the monster models instead. I really liked the artwork they had splashed in the original game, and it also gave you views on some things like Ghis' face (which I'm not sure you ever see otherwise?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

FFT is easily the hardest FF but it's also easily the best.

Liking FF12 so far. Some of the reorchestrated musical pieces are better than the originals and some are worse. I like the original version of the Rabanastre music better than the new one. It had a better tempo. The new one sounds too fast.

Any tips for any of the trials? I'm going to mess around with them tonight.

I agree wholeheartedly on the "some new music is better but some is worse" thing. Something about the reorchestrated boss battle theme just seems off.
New version of Ozmone Plains is stunning though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0YjrXxhYp8

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Can you grind stage 1? I'm not sure I want to grind too hard but it would be cool to get a jump start.

Yeah, just keep loading your autosave for the Trial and it'll reset to stage 1 each time. It's just rats so you can speedrun it pretty easily even with level 1 Vaan.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kelp Me! posted:

I agree wholeheartedly on the "some new music is better but some is worse" thing. Something about the reorchestrated boss battle theme just seems off.

I think it's mostly just different but the instruments aren't quite as distinct in some of the new versions of the music. The boss theme especially. I do love that version of the Ozmone plains though, gently caress.

e: whoops, sorry for the double.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Levantine posted:

I think it's mostly just different but the instruments aren't quite as distinct in some of the new versions of the music. The boss theme especially. I do love that version of the Ozmone plains though, gently caress.

I dunno if it was their intention or not but I feel like the new versions sound much more in line with the Tactics soundtrack. Like the original Ozmone music sounded like it was done by the same composer; this new version would feel 100% natural if it showed up as an actual unused track from FFT or whatever. I don't think it's just the bump in recording quality; some of the mixing and instrument tweaks seem intentionally designed to give the music a more...I dunno, clipped/staccato/formal feel to them. I'm having a hard time describing it, but like the snare drums all seem much crisper and more like a battle march than anything, that sort of thing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kelp Me! posted:

I dunno if it was their intention or not but I feel like the new versions sound much more in line with the Tactics soundtrack. Like the original Ozmone music sounded like it was done by the same composer; this new version would feel 100% natural if it showed up as an actual unused track from FFT or whatever. I don't think it's just the bump in recording quality; some of the mixing and instrument tweaks seem intentionally designed to give the music a more...I dunno, clipped/staccato/formal feel to them. I'm having a hard time describing it, but like the snare drums all seem much crisper and more like a battle march than anything, that sort of thing.

I agree completely. I turned to my wife and said the same thing about it sounding more like FFT (to which she shrugged because lol).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

There is a way to do this without having the EXP curve broken and you just getting all the cash and LP.

You can have Vaan be dead and have Penelo do it before she leaves. She'll absorb all the levels.

You see, each joining party member's level is based off Vaans, and when Penelo leave the game doesn't save it, instead it recalculates it again based off Vaan's level once she rejoins.

So you could level Penelo to 99 on Dustia and it wouldn't matter.

yeah but why

you can farm diamond armlets for gil and lp with any creature on 4x speed much faster
i've never been in a position where having infinite gil would break the game lol
infinite LP might break it like xp would though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

The story of Jecht, Auron and Braska felt more compelling at times than FFX's own party but you can't have a modern Final Fantasy without bishi heartthrobs and waifus.

I was just about to say, Jecht, Auron and Braska are badasses but you're gonna have to introduce some ladies somehow

What is this FFXV?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You'll get all the lady Hypellos you never knew you wanted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kelp Me! posted:

Yeah FFT has one of the steepest immediate difficulty curves when you go from 3 or 4 battles against other melee dudes and some weak monsters into "here are some black mages and archers that start on rooftops, have fun slowly chasing them down while they steadily move further away from your squires and chemists while potshotting you from afar every turn"

The first time I played through it I had more trouble in Dorter than I did with Velius

Tactics is super easy except for like 2 specific fights where a single boss character is wildly OP. The worst one is when after 3 battles in a row, you suddenly have to face a boss by yourself, with only your main character and not the rest of your party, which is something you've never had to do ever in the whole game.

If you didn't keep a save from before you did those 3 missions in a row, you're super super hosed. No way to go back and grind or anything.

If they just let you back out to the world map, that alone would solve one of the biggest cockblocks of FFT. As is you just need to warn people "ROTATE SAVES, KEEP AT LEAST A COUPLE OLD SAVES".

Kelp Me! posted:

Its the nature of re-orchestrated music.

I couldn't stand the changes they made to the halo soundtrack in the remaster, for instance. Its the same songs but the orchestra completely emphasizes different notes and changes slurs and rhythm and basically completely butchers the real key phrase of the theme :(

12 at least seems to have mostly been handled well, and you can always switch back to the old soundtrack.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

About to head off to the Garif village. So far things seem a bit easier with the exception of the first Demon Wall who I cannot beat even with a decent Quickening Chain. Oh well, that fight is supposed to be for a bit later anyway I think.

Having a blast with RM Ashe, Machinist Penelo and FB Fran. Might have to bust out Belias to finally see what an Esper can really do.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Shoren posted:

I've been waiting for this game for so long. I really liked the original and I'm excited to get home and play the remaster. After some light reading on the classes this is what I decided on:

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo - Monk/Black Mage
Balthier - Uhlan/Time Battlemage
Fran - Archer/Red Battlemage
Ashe - White Mage/Machinist
Basch - Samurai/Knight

Uses all twelve classes and has pretty good utility overall, I think. Also kind of thematic with each character, or close to it. I've read that min/maxing isn't required so having some characters be suboptimal isn't a huge deal to me. I'd rather get a taste for each class.

This is pretty much what I'm gonna do friend so I hope it is a good combination

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BTW I dunno if this was mentioned yet but the latest FFXV expansion Stormblood goes pretty drat heavy on the FFV nostalgia. Some great old track arrangements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8PbJwplkmE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17IKtE8v4aA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65QbQEKIL88

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Tactics is super easy except for like 2 specific fights where a single boss character is wildly OP. The worst one is when after 3 battles in a row, you suddenly have to face a boss by yourself, with only your main character and not the rest of your party, which is something you've never had to do ever in the whole game.

If you didn't keep a save from before you did those 3 missions in a row, you're super super hosed. No way to go back and grind or anything.

If they just let you back out to the world map, that alone would solve one of the biggest cockblocks of FFT. As is you just need to warn people "ROTATE SAVES, KEEP AT LEAST A COUPLE OLD SAVES".

Yeah that's the Velius battle I mentioned, and like I said I had a harder time with the Dorter battle because you're up against ranged units and 99% of players won't have a single ranged unit that early.

I wouldn't say it was super easy, there's a bunch of fights with weird annoying gimmicks and such. Unless you grinded a bunch real early, I never hit a point where I would consider the game easy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
FFX isn't really a story about women. Nearly every plotline is driven by someone's relationship to their father, or their relationships as a father/figure. It's a game where everyone's mom is dead and none of them have names. They barely have unique character models. That's not necessarily a criticism, it's not like the series hadn't gone pretty deep on mom issues in the past.

I think that's a big reason X-2 is the way it is. The world is reborn and here are a bunch of women (and not just YRP) doing their thing. Lu even has a baby to become the only living mother of note in either game I can think of off the top of my head.

It's not exactly a piece of feminist art, either, but I don't think it's a mistake the game is female-centered after the 2-ton slab of DAD PROBS :( that was X.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

Yeah that's the Velius battle I mentioned, and like I said I had a harder time with the Dorter battle because you're up against ranged units and 99% of players won't have a single ranged unit that early.

its pretty normal to have black mages by then unless you went with full squire team for some reason. archers suck for the player on dorter

i dont really know if its possible to get 'locked' at wiegraf. like you can not understand the game mechanics enough to advance but ramza can kill him as a monk, or a knight, or a squire, or anything even with poor skill investment

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So on the license board there are a few squares that are separate from the main board, like the Karkata for the Bushi. How are those unlocked?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You're supposed to master Squire for Ramza prior to Velius because you can abuse the speed/attack power boost skill and get like 4 attack turns in at once.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Meridian posted:

So on the license board there are a few squares that are separate from the main board, like the Karkata for the Bushi. How are those unlocked?

They get connected to the main board via esper tiles that you'll unlock after boss battles. There is one required during the main story to show you how its done.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meridian posted:

Espers add bridge squares to the board when you assign it to a a character, with each esper putting its bridge squares in different places. When an esper is assigned to a character its locked to them forever, so its important to assign only espers that bridge to skills you need to each party memeber.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

You're supposed to master Squire for Ramza prior to Velius because you can abuse the speed/attack power boost skill and get like 4 attack turns in at once.

Yeah, woe be unto you if you say, made ramza a knight and did the game that way till that point.

gently caress FFT I hate that game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

its pretty normal to have black mages by then unless you went with full squire team for some reason. archers suck for the player on dorter

i dont really know if its possible to get 'locked' at wiegraf. like you can not understand the game mechanics enough to advance but ramza can kill him as a monk, or a knight, or a squire, or anything even with poor skill investment

I mean I personally never had to restart at Wiegraf (it's him you 1v1, right? I made a mistake, I think you get your team back for Velius) and I didn't have to abuse the Yell/Accumulate trick, but it was pretty tough and there's a reason "rotate/keep a backup save" is like one of the first pieces of advice you can give someone who's never played it.

I don't think I ever had a black mage at Dorter but I also think I waited a bit long to start changing jobs at the very beginning :shrug:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

you get enough jp just from existing to get either yell or accumulate

if youre knight you can just hit him with a sword

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Hi hello. I need help with FFX-13 Lightning Returns. I really want to like the game, but I don't understand it at all. Firstly, the plot: i have no idea who any of these idiots are and I hate them and their stupid names. The setting is neat, nobody dies of old age even if it's kind of inconsistent I like how bleak and weird it is. Is there like someplace I can go to read a summary of the previous two games? I am not playing those dumpster fires. Absolutely loving refuse.

I thought I was doing okay on the combat for a minute, on the surface it's really simple. You just hit dudes with the things they don't like while they are attacking and then they enter a stagger state and you can wail on them. The problem being that if you hit them while they are attacking you loving DIE due to the fact that they are attacking and if you don't get them in a stagger state you've just lost a bunch of health for no reason. The things that put them in stagger seem really inconsistent. Sometimes I can get it on an enemy and it'll be a really easy combat then other times I just cannot get it to trigger no matter what and it's a loving slog vs. the exact same type of enemy. I thought I was doing ok until I got to this loving graveyard and these little gargoyle dudes just gently caress my poo poo up. They use aero and whatever and conveniently there's a bangle that gives 50% wind resist HALFWAY THROUGH the loving graveyard. In most FF games I could just grind until I was strong enough to kill gargoyle pals, but in this one there is apparently no way to get stronger other than just mastering the game mechanics. Which I think I am too old and slow to do.

The combat seems really fun and frentic, I like switching between different ability things on the fly, being able to put this serious woman in cat ears or novelty crowns cracks me the gently caress up and the setting is intriguing, but I cannot get the hang of the stagger mechanic which seems integral to the entire thing. Help me, please. This has been my final fantasy dissertation

E: ALSO, ALSO. Is there any way to exit the game that isn't alt+f4? that poo poo is retarded.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the graveyard enemies were tough for me too when i first went there

the difficulty is kind of weird because you can go wherever. i remember it took me like ten hours to kill 1 one of those bug enemies that appear late at night, on the first night of the game.

you just look at the enemy notes and do what it says there. some things (chocobo eater) have very high stagger resistance. if oyur numbers arent high enough you will be killed

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FF13 and 13-2 are better games than Lightning Returns IMO, you should play them.

There, that's my bad opinion for the week, hope you enjoy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

BTW I dunno if this was mentioned yet but the latest FFXV expansion Stormblood goes pretty drat heavy on the FFV nostalgia. Some great old track arrangements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8PbJwplkmE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17IKtE8v4aA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65QbQEKIL88

Don't forget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcZR7A2TMAQ directly from VI

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
FFXII's first major dungeon is seriously a sewer level with enemies that can cast blind huh?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh sweet, haven't hit that part in the story yet but I figured it would come up with the whole Doma thing.

I'm still a sucker for the arrangement of the Atma Weapon/Warring Triad battles from VI (that coincidentally play when you fight the Warring Triad in VIX :v:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDbr6_WtEE

I also really like when they use themes from older music, but not the actual track directly, like this one that borrows from the IX battle theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwOVnEIMMyM

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Kelp Me! posted:

Oh sweet, haven't hit that part in the story yet but I figured it would come up with the whole Doma thing.

I'm still a sucker for the arrangement of the Atma Weapon/Warring Triad battles from VI (that coincidentally play when you fight the Warring Triad in VIX :v:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDbr6_WtEE

I also really like when they use themes from older music, but not the actual track directly, like this one that borrows from the IX battle theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwOVnEIMMyM

The best direct music port so far is still Matoya's Cave, tho.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

FFXII's first major dungeon is seriously a sewer level with enemies that can cast blind huh?

You will long for the quiet dignity of the early dungeons when you get lost in the crystal at the end of the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also for some reason the watery sewer level's boss is
A fire horse

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah tbh I never stopped to think about what a hard time a monster made out of fire would have in a sewer full of flammable poo gas

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Huxley posted:

FFX isn't really a story about women. Nearly every plotline is driven by someone's relationship to their father, or their relationships as a father/figure. It's a game where everyone's mom is dead and none of them have names. They barely have unique character models. That's not necessarily a criticism, it's not like the series hadn't gone pretty deep on mom issues in the past.

I think that's a big reason X-2 is the way it is. The world is reborn and here are a bunch of women (and not just YRP) doing their thing. Lu even has a baby to become the only living mother of note in either game I can think of off the top of my head.

It's not exactly a piece of feminist art, either, but I don't think it's a mistake the game is female-centered after the 2-ton slab of DAD PROBS :( that was X.

Does all the stuff about Yunalesca not count?

Not to mention it's still weird when there are clearly a bunch of women with their own stories. Yuna is driven by her father at first, but the story is about her developing on her own, making her own decisions and mistakes. Rikku explicitly looks up to Lulu, has conflicts between Wakka and Brother, and pretty much is just trying to help out her cousin Yuna in the first place. Lulu has a storyline tied to a guy still, but most of her actions are still pretty indepenent; she's mostly just complaining about how dumb Tidus/wakka/things are until Auron joins.

There's still good stuff in the side characters too. Donna has a guy connection with Barthello yeah, but Donna's motivations and actions are all around her jealousy of Yuna. Shelinda doesn't have any guy connections at all, she's just a Yevonite trying to Yevon it up.

I get your point in trying to say the most important actions in X are mostly driven by guys. But I'd argue that a game's story is more than just the primary big plotline and it's a mistake to ignore the other characters and what they contribute to the overall picture. At least, I wouldn't call FFX anymore guy-focused than the normal standard for FF except for maybe 6.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX ends with the literal death of the patriarchy, and with it masculine institutions of state, religion, propaganda and orthodoxy. FFX-2 celebrates femininity in this bold new world with its focus on sisterly relationships, fashion and jpop concerts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

FFX ends with the literal death of the patriarchy, and with it masculine institutions of state, religion, propaganda and orthodoxy. FFX-2 celebrates femininity in this bold new world with its focus on sisterly relationships, fashion and jpop concerts.

~Dress Spheres~

I'll take a job system by whatever name you wanna call it though honestly

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

How many of the Final Fantasy games end with basically "we beat the big bad, but the world is kind of a hot mess because of the big bad, but we all have hope so we'll rebuild!!"

-VI
-VII kind of (I know Midgar gets kind of wrecked by the Lifestream, can't remember if it affects the whole planet)
-IX kind of
-X for the above-mentioned reason
-XII (we know that the world falls apart and ends up like it is in Tactics)
-XIII
-XV

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kelp Me! posted:

How many of the Final Fantasy games end with basically "we beat the big bad, but the world is kind of a hot mess because of the big bad, but we all have hope so we'll rebuild!!"

II would count if hope ever existed in that bleak miserable world.

Seriously it's hard to find something not depressing about that game's story and world.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

-VI
-VII kind of (I know Midgar gets kind of wrecked by the Lifestream, can't remember if it affects the whole planet)
-IX kind of
-X for the above-mentioned reason
-XII (we know that the world falls apart and ends up like it is in Tactics)
-XIII
-XV

VII has the whole black plague thing that was killing people that Advent Children touched upon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mega64 posted:

II would count if hope ever existed in that bleak miserable world.

Seriously it's hard to find something not depressing about that game's story and world.
someone completed 2?