Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Glad the bar is set so low for the Pope that " He doesn't actively tell us to murder the gays, so he is okay with me".

Catholic Church and the Pope is a antediluvian mysgonistic cult that perpetrates some of the worst ideals for the human race and still advocates against the use of condoms in African which is one of the reason HIV is so widespread among other things like conspiring with literal Nazis, covering up the rape of children, basically theft from the poor, torturing people who are dying by withholding pain medication etc.. etc..

All while their leader literally holds court from a throne of gold.

Popes not cool and anyone who thinks that has bought into their bullshit propaganda.

:yikes:

Fame Douglas posted:

Well, it's a bad bill all around. Why the gently caress did they vote for it?

The Russia / NK sanctions, mainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I pretty much assume that any coherent message that's coming from twitter and is favorable to trump in any way is probably a Russian botnet of some kind, and lame-rear end criticisms of the sanctions bill like saying it was "just because democrats wanted to dunk on trump" sounds like some bullshit to me

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I mean, the Catholic Church is clearly not antediluvian.

Fame Douglas posted:

Well, it's a bad bill all around. Why the gently caress did they vote for it?
When people complain about "oh the left is blaming Democrats for this exclusively why don't they blame the GOP too" they're kinda being - I don't know - really outrageously stupid? Like, yeah, it's too bad that the Leopard-Eating-People's-Faces party voted to eat some people's faces, but there's not much you can do about that since they're leopards and they're all about eating people's faces and they got voted into office on the premise that they were going to eat some motherfucking faces and now they're doing exactly that. On the other hand you probably should criticize in the strongest possible terms anyone who isn't a leopard but seems receptive to partially eating faces or only eating the faces of poor people or whatever else. You know?

I mean I'm not sure what is even the point of criticizing the GOP right now, at least as a focal point. If you have a chance at actually turning a real live Republican into something resembling a compassionate and intelligent human being, then by all means go ahead, but that's an opportunity that comes up like what? Once a decade? For a leftist to go on Twitter and rail against the GOP for voting for this measure is a total waste of time and effort that could be spent on more productive pursuits, which is probably why centrist Democrats are so insistent that they do exactly that.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

empty whippet box posted:

I pretty much assume that any coherent message that's coming from twitter and is favorable to trump in any way is probably a Russian botnet of some kind, and lame-rear end criticisms of the sanctions bill like saying it was "just because democrats wanted to dunk on trump" sounds like some bullshit to me
I've got no problem with isolating the Russians economically, politically, strategically, and for that matter socially if you happen to know any yourself. But not at the cost of Iran resuming its nuclear weapons program, as seems likely now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Glad the bar is set so low for the Pope that " He doesn't actively tell us to murder the gays, so he is okay with me".

Catholic Church and the Pope is a antediluvian mysgonistic cult that perpetrates some of the worst ideals for the human race and still advocates against the use of condoms in African which is one of the reason HIV is so widespread among other things like conspiring with literal Nazis, covering up the rape of children, basically theft from the poor, torturing people who are dying by withholding pain medication etc.. etc..

All while their leader literally holds court from a throne of gold.

Popes not cool and anyone who thinks that has bought into their bullshit propaganda.

If you judge him by Pope standards, and not by normal human decency, morality, and medical ethics standards, this Pope is best Pope ever.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
^^well, yes basically. If there must be a church, I'd rather it headed by Francis instead of other recent choices (and fyi there must be a church)

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You can gently caress right off with this, mate.

The Church, in my tiny country alone, owes the State €1.4bn in restitution payments to sexual abuse victims, which it refuses to pay. Oh, and that money has nothing to do with the thousands of women who were kept as literal slaves for the crime of becoming pregnant or being born with learning difficulties. Or the septic tanks full of hundreds of little kid skeletons that have been uncovered, blameless little kids left to die and then interred in a big tank full of poo poo.

Oh yeah and the cool new Pope is right now sheltering one of Australia's top clerics from facing justice for loving kids. And was actively involved in shuttling rapist priests between dioceses to avoid prosecution, just like Ratzinger.

Seriously, gently caress you.

honestly i'm with you on that. the church is plenty gross in many aspects, and its fundamental ideology is a regressive misogynistic one (not even getting into how hosed up the whole sanctity of suffering deal). Not sure what you're referring to with the women kept as slaves bit or the interred stuff. I suspect that any candidate for cardinal let alone pope has been involved in shielding child molesters and that's pretty loving depressing. Again, I can't speak to the specifics of the australian cardinal.

All that being said, the catholic church remains one of the most influential (perhaps the most influential) non-state institution. The church accomplishes plenty of good and has the potential to accomplish far, far more good. I believe that Francis and his ideological allies present the best chance to steer the church into a more progressive direction, as well as softening some of its more odious stances.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

A big flaming stink posted:

^^well, yes basically. If there must be a church, I'd rather it headed by Francis instead of other recent choices (and fyi there must be a church)

honestly i'm with you on that. the church is plenty gross in many aspects, and its fundamental ideology is a regressive misogynistic one (not even getting into how hosed up the whole sanctity of suffering deal). Not sure what you're referring to with the women kept as slaves bit or the interred stuff. I suspect that any candidate for cardinal let alone pope has been involved in shielding child molesters and that's pretty loving depressing. Again, I can't speak to the specifics of the australian cardinal.

All that being said, the Catholic Church remains one of the most influential (perhaps the most influential) non-state institution. The church accomplishes plenty of good and has the potential to accomplish far, far more good. I believe that Francis and his ideological allies present the best chance to steer the church into a more progressive direction, as well as softening some of its more odious stances.

I believe he's referring to the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland, and the recent discovery of a mass grave of abandoned babies and dead children that were covered up by church officials.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Withnail posted:

see if 'The Day After' is on pirate bay

It's on Youtube

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

VitalSigns posted:

If you judge him by Pope standards, and not by normal human decency, morality, and medical ethics standards, this Pope is best Pope ever.

So the next American President will be the best ever then? :v:

Deptfordx posted:

It's on Youtube

I was surprised to see that people have uploaded fake "nuclear war happening right now" videos, like 2 hours long using newsclips and voice-overs. Are these like a real hobby or just something people in a media class have to do as a project?

Edit: Here's the one about NATO vs. Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ25RMezeLU

Edit 2: Now that I see them more closely, they all seem to be done by the same guy to "make people reflect on how prepared they are for such an eventuality, how much they rely on resources that are more fragile than we care to imagine, and how little say we all have in the decisions of military powers that do not speak for the will of the people of the world."

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 3, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
As far as popes go. They have only been getting better over the years. Benedictus got a lot of crap over priests abusing children but before he become pope he worked hard to bring these cases to light even when the church itself held him back. As pope he used his powers to take this even further.

quote:

Prior to 2001, the primary responsibility for investigating allegations of sexual abuse and disciplining perpetrators rested with the individual dioceses. In 2001, Ratzinger convinced John Paul II to put the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in charge of all investigations and policies surrounding sexual abuse in order to combat such abuse more efficiently.[148][149] According to John L. Allen, Jr., Ratzinger in the following years "acquired a familiarity with the contours of the problem that virtually no other figure in the Catholic Church can claim" and "driven by that encounter with what he would later refer to as 'filth' in the Church, Ratzinger seems to have undergone something of a 'conversion experience' throughout 2003–04. From that point forward, he and his staff seemed driven by a convert's zeal to clean up the mess".[150] In his role as Head of the CDF, he "led important changes made in Church law: the inclusion in canon law of internet offences against children, the extension of child abuse offences to include the sexual abuse of all under 18, the case by case waiving of the statute of limitation and the establishment of a fast-track dismissal from the clerical state for offenders."[151] As the Head of the CDF, Ratzinger developed a reputation for handling these cases. According to Charles J. Scicluna, a former prosecutor handling sexual abuse cases, "Cardinal Ratzinger displayed great wisdom and firmness in handling those cases, also demonstrating great courage in facing some of the most difficult and thorny cases, sine acceptione personarum (without exceptions)".[152][153]

One of the cases Ratzinger pursued involved Father Marcial Maciel Degollado, a Mexican priest and founder of the Legion of Christ, who had been accused repeatedly of sexual abuse. Biographer Andrea Tornielli suggested that Cardinal Ratzinger had wanted to take action against Marcial Maciel Degollado, but that John Paul II and other high-ranking officials, including several cardinals and notably the Pope's influential secretary Stanisław Dziwisz, prevented him from doing so.[149][154] According to Jason Berry, Angelo Sodano "pressured" Cardinal Ratzinger, who was "operating on the assumption that the charges were not justified", to halt the proceedings against Maciel in 1999[155] When Maciel was honored by the Pope in 2004, new accusers came forward[155] and Cardinal Ratzinger "took it on himself to authorize an investigation of Maciel"[149] After Ratzinger became pope he began proceedings against Maciel and the Legion of Christ that forced Maciel out of active service in the Church.[148] On 1 May 2010 the Vatican issued a statement denouncing Maciel's "very serious and objectively immoral acts", which were "confirmed by incontrovertible testimonies" and represent "true crimes and manifest a life without scruples or authentic religious sentiment." Pope Benedict also said he would appoint a special commission to examine the Legionaries’ constitution and open an investigation into its lay affiliate Regnum Christi.[156] Cardinal Christoph Schönborn explained that Ratzinger "made entirely clear efforts not to cover things up but to tackle and investigate them. This was not always met with approval in the Vatican".[148][157] According to Schönborn, Cardinal Ratzinger had pressed John Paul II to investigate Hans Hermann Groër, an Austrian cardinal and friend of John Paul accused of sexual abuse, resulting in Groër's resignation.[154]

In March 2010, the Pope sent a Pastoral Letter to the Catholic Church in Ireland addressing cases of sexual abuse by Catholic priests to minors, expressing sorrow, and promising changes in the way accusations of abuse are dealt with.[158] Victim groups claim the letter failed to clarify if secular law enforcement has priority over canon law confidentiality pertaining to internal investigation of abuse allegations.[159][160][161][162] The Pope then promised to introduce measures that would 'safeguard young people in the future' and 'bring to justice' priests who were responsible for abuse.[147] In April, the Vatican issued guidelines on how existing Church law should be implemented. The guideline dictates that "Civil law concerning reporting of crimes... should always be followed."[163] The guideline was intended to follow the norms established by U.S. bishops, but it does not require the reporting of "allegations" or crimes where reporting is not required by law.[164]

Again. Pope standards,

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

A big flaming stink posted:

``honestly i'm with you on that. the church is plenty gross in many aspects, and its fundamental ideology is a regressive misogynistic one (not even getting into how hosed up the whole sanctity of suffering deal). Not sure what you're referring to with the women kept as slaves bit or the interred stuff. I suspect that any candidate for cardinal let alone pope has been involved in shielding child molesters and that's pretty loving depressing. Again, I can't speak to the specifics of the australian cardinal.

All that being said, the catholic church remains one of the most influential (perhaps the most influential) non-state institution. The church accomplishes plenty of good and has the potential to accomplish far, far more good. I believe that Francis and his ideological allies present the best chance to steer the church into a more progressive direction, as well as softening some of its more odious stances.

Women kept as slaves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalene_Laundries_in_Ireland

Babies interred in septic tanks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Secours_Mother_and_Baby_Home#2017_find

Various documented abuse cases in Ireland (AKA the tip of the loving enormous iceberg)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_scandal_in_Ireland

Again, these are just hundreds of thousands of lives absolutely ruined, just utterly destroyed, in my tiny little country where the Catholic Church was allowed to run hog-wild.

If you're not familiar with any of this, and also not familiar with Cardinal Pell which is the biggest scandal currently rocking the Vatican, maybe you should question just how holistic a view of the Church you actually have.

The Church does good things around the world because people are fundamentally decent and there are plenty of people who do good works in the name of the Church. But the Church is probably the most evil and harmful organisation in human history in terms of number of lives ruined over the last millennium (yep, Nazis included). "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Cernovich will angrily watch this and say alphas males do exist and the guzzle a few gallons of gorilla sperm just to be in the safe side

Okay, I have started to see this "gorilla sperm guzzling" everywhere recently, what the hell is it all about?

I'm afraid to google "drinking gorilla sperm" because it would probably put me on a watchlist.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

But the Church is probably the most evil and harmful organisation in human history in terms of number of lives ruined over the last millennium (yep, Nazis included).

Man it doesn't even stand up to the British Empire, and I haven't cracked out the ol moral calculator to really break down where the empire sits in the top five in awhile. I don't think I had it at number one.

quote:

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Nah, that's just something stupid people think because they are looking for a magic bullet solution to people being monsters. The Church has never been more than an excuse. You don't steal money and rape kids in the name of Christ, you'll do it for football or the BBC or anything else that gives you a shield. That's just how social hierarchy works, someone will always look for a way to abuse it for their own needs. Don't even need to be 'evil' for that to apply.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kilroy posted:

I mean I'm not sure what is even the point of criticizing the GOP right now, at least as a focal point. If you have a chance at actually turning a real live Republican into something resembling a compassionate and intelligent human being, then by all means go ahead, but that's an opportunity that comes up like what? Once a decade? For a leftist to go on Twitter and rail against the GOP for voting for this measure is a total waste of time and effort that could be spent on more productive pursuits, which is probably why centrist Democrats are so insistent that they do exactly that.

This is an insanely stupid post.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

socialsecurity posted:

Remember when he met Obama and spent the entire time super frowning to make sure every single picture taken showed everyone how upset he was at being in the same room as him like a loving child.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mulva posted:

Man it doesn't even stand up to the British Empire, and I haven't cracked out the ol moral calculator to really break down where the empire sits in the top five in awhile. I don't think I had it at number one.

That's the "luck of the Irish" joke explained right there, we got simultaneously hosed by both the British Empire and the Church

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hahaha, I'd forgotten about this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Covok posted:

First off, Adam Ruins Everything is a good show that you should be watching.

Secondly, check the comments. Nothing but "alphas" crying and whining while trying to seem on top. lol.

Every preview I've seen has been intolerable. Usually it's something like v
Straw Woman: I've been doing this thing for this reason.
Adam: Actually that reason is made up and wrong and you're stupid for doing it
Straw Woman: But I read this reason in the internet
Adam: Allow me to explain to you as if you were a child
Straw Woman: Aww gee, but this man on the tv said it
Adam: You are a fool
Straw Woman: I'm dumb and so God drat crazy
Adam: I'm the smartest man who ever lived.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/stuartpstevens/status/892592278744813570

This dude was a flack for Romney. Him, Jennifer Rubin, Bill Kristol, all are pointing out poo poo nowadays that's practically treasonous to the ideals of the Republican Party.

And it is glorious.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It is pretty short you can just watch it and decide if he's an rear end in a top hat or not.

Her character seemed super obviously in on the joke to me, but I only watched one and then got bored so it's not a hill I'm gonna die on.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay, I have started to see this "gorilla sperm guzzling" everywhere recently, what the hell is it all about?

I'm afraid to google "drinking gorilla sperm" because it would probably put me on a watchlist.

He thinks that if you're alpha enough your semen will have mystical qualities that will addict the women who are lucky enough to receive it. He's on his second divorce and lives off of alimony from his first divorce.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kilroy posted:

I mean, the Catholic Church is clearly not antediluvian.

When people complain about "oh the left is blaming Democrats for this exclusively why don't they blame the GOP too" they're kinda being - I don't know - really outrageously stupid? Like, yeah, it's too bad that the Leopard-Eating-People's-Faces party voted to eat some people's faces, but there's not much you can do about that since they're leopards and they're all about eating people's faces and they got voted into office on the premise that they were going to eat some motherfucking faces and now they're doing exactly that. On the other hand you probably should criticize in the strongest possible terms anyone who isn't a leopard but seems receptive to partially eating faces or only eating the faces of poor people or whatever else. You know?

All ranting on Twitter is ultimately completely loving pointless except as catharsis or performance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Every preview I've seen has been intolerable. Usually it's something like v
Straw Woman: I've been doing this thing for this reason.
Adam: Actually that reason is made up and wrong and you're stupid for doing it
Straw Woman: But I read this reason in the internet
Adam: Allow me to explain to you as if you were a child
Straw Woman: Aww gee, but this man on the tv said it
Adam: You are a fool
Straw Woman: I'm dumb and so God drat crazy
Adam: I'm the smartest man who ever lived.

The presentation is usually annoying but the information is usually informative and interesting so it kinda balances out.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Quorum posted:

All ranting on Twitter is ultimately completely loving pointless except as catharsis or performance.

[posted while POTUS fucks up foreign relations 140 characters at a time]

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Mulva posted:

Nah, that's just something stupid people think because they are looking for a magic bullet solution to people being monsters. The Church has never been more than an excuse. You don't steal money and rape kids in the name of Christ, you'll do it for football or the BBC or anything else that gives you a shield. That's just how social hierarchy works, someone will always look for a way to abuse it for their own needs. Don't even need to be 'evil' for that to apply.

It is hyperbole to an extent, but we have some serious work to do as a species on our religious interpretations and application. Across the board both within the United States and abroad, regions with higher religiosity tend to be more hosed up.

There are of course exceptions like nondenominational liberation theology, but their numbers are few and far between.

poo poo even now religiosity is one of the strongest indicators of support for Trump. Highly religious people are more supportive of the adulterous, wife beating, irreverent, grifting rear end in a top hat than non religious people.

But, humans were capable of "evil" before we even developed language enough to start forming basic mysticism, much less a full fledged religion. Societies ills aren't all caused by religion, that's nonsense.

However, there's definitely an argument to be made that our religions as currently practiced ultimately cause more harm than good in our current era.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

socialsecurity posted:

Remember when he met Obama and spent the entire time super frowning to make sure every single picture taken showed everyone how upset he was at being in the same room as him like a loving child.

Holy poo poo my boss does this and its the most petulant poo poo I've ever seen someone do.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

botany posted:

[posted while POTUS fucks up foreign relations 140 characters at a time]

I guess some people's performances are more impactful than others! :sad:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Quorum posted:

I guess some people's performances are more impactful than others! :sad:

it's almost like twitter is one form of communication among many and just as pointless or impactful as any of them :thunk:

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Mike Cernovich's first wife was a hard working law student when they were together. She got her JD and then went on to be a very successful...I want to say IP lawyer/high powered corporate attorney in Silicon Valley. Very fast rise to success. This is while Mike was doing...something or other. She got a lot of prestige and a lot of money due to her work. Their relationship soured and she basically had to pay him to go the gently caress away.

So, of course, he wrote The Secret: The Gorilla Mans version.....because nothing's better than a wounded ego to spur creativity. Up is down. Night is day. Being told to get the gently caress out because you can't handle your spouse's success is righteous..etc.

Relevant Tangent posted:

He thinks that if you're alpha enough your semen will have mystical qualities that will addict the women who are lucky enough to receive it. He's on his second divorce and lives off of alimony from his first divorce.

Oh wow, his second wife left him too? The one he had a child with? Fuckin' A...

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 3, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/892940224015282176
Oh poo poo, they found the tape where Seth Rich did Benghazi

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

well either that or hannity is actually the crocodile from Peter Pan

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No, Sean, a bomb goes tick, tick, tick.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
He's just pissed CNN is getting more viewers than him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Samovar posted:

No, Sean, a bomb goes tick, tick, tick.

Narrator: Was it ticking?

Airport Security Officer: Actually, throwers don't worry about ticking 'cause modern bombs don't tick.

Narrator: Sorry, throwers?

Airport Security Officer: Baggage handlers. But when a suitcase vibrates, then the throwers gotta call the police.

Narrator: My suitcase was vibrating?

Airport Security Officer: Nine times out of ten it's an electric razor. But ... every once in a while [looks around, leans in conspiratorially] ... it's a dildo. [leans back] Of course, it's company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo. We have to use the indefinite article, "a dildo", never ... your dildo.

Narrator: I don't own a dil-

Airport Security Officer: [holds up finger, silencing Narrator]

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I've repeatedly heard that bringing about change is actually really difficult for Pope Francis (assuming he even wants to do that), because he has to deal with all the cardinals and so on. But I've never had it explained as to how that's actually the case. What, precisely is stopping Pope Frank from popping out on his balcony on Easter Sunday and announcing to the crowd, and the world's media, that God spoke to him the night before and now contraception is fine and so are gays and abortions, peace?

Surely, the Pope is infallible, so this now becomes Catholic doctrine, right? Every Catholic heard it, no one can say that contraception is wrong since the Pope clearly said it wasn't. The cardinals have no process to stop or sack the Pope (other than their old standby assassination), so other than grumbling, what could they do about it? The worst I can see is that they schism into a new "No-Homers" Catholic Church, but considering that means giving up their cushy positions and access to the Church's property and mountain of cash, plus the fact that the Church probably has dirt on every single one of them, I think that's unlikely.

I'm no scholar on the matter, so please, tell me where I'm wrong.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Covok posted:

So, serious question, before the internet, where would you go to discuss unpopular political ideas? Like, socialism isn't the devil or black people should be treated like white people?

The Weekly World News.

Occasionally, the John Birch Society would rent billboards.

The newspaper's Opinion section

CB/shortwave radio

Mostly, this crap was never heard from, unless Nixon or Reagan had an idea. (yes, I remenber Nixon,. Most of my life pre-dates the internet. I programmed in BASIC & FORTRAN on teletype machines)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

He’s an idiot rear end in a top hat that’s trying to screw the first generation of ghouls out of songwriting credits and money.

I haven’t heard anything from Tobias that makes me think turbo-racist maga dipshit, but given that we live in a five minute news cycle, who knows?

Well that's a shame. I quite like them, but I can't say I'm surprised to hear he's an egomaniac given his costuming choices.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pretty sure someone on twitter just asked him what noise a cow makes.

The joke is that Sean Hannity really is an extremely dumb man.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PainterofCrap posted:

The Weekly World News.

Occasionally, the John Birch Society would rent billboards.

The newspaper's Opinion section

CB/shortwave radio

Mostly, this crap was never heard from, unless Nixon or Reagan had an idea. (yes, I remenber Nixon,. Most of my life pre-dates the internet. I programmed in BASIC & FORTRAN on teletype machines)

Hey Grandpa I hear some kids playing on your lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mister Adequate posted:

Huh? I was 3 when Reagan left office and I'm 31 now.

e; But yeah the difference between us early Millennials born in the 80s and those who were born in the 90s is bigger than lumping us all in together would suggest. The changes in politics, media, and the Internet are... well it's kind of difficult to really impress on you youngins how radical the changes were. :corsair:

A really good dividing line I saw suggested in the past was whether you played Oregon Trail in school computer lab or not. If you did that meant you grew up in the transitional period when computers were becoming cheap enough to be ubiquitous (and used by children) but before always on internet changed everything.

Another major dividing event is whether or not you had established yourself in the workforce before the 2007 financial crisis hit. People trying to get started in adult life after that happened largely got hosed and it very strongly affected their world view. When I look back at my life during that time it was basically a series of me stepping through doors just before they slammed shut. If I had entered the workforce two years later I probably would be making $40k less per year now, in a much less enjoyable job.

Finally for all we take the internet for granted we need to remember that for large areas of the country things are still as bad as they were in the 90s, but with the added frustration that they can see on tv what it is like to live a life where that connectivity exists. A lot of the rural resentment for city dwellers comes from that feeling of isolation and that culture is just leaving them behind. They turn on the tv and see an alien landscape - references to binging on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu shows that they can't watch because the only high speed internet available is satellite or maybe LTE cellular and both are extremely expensive per GB. I'm talking about rural-rural, not suburban areas which tend to have decent connectivity.

• Locked thread