Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

what qualifies as "conspiracy theory" for youtube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Serf posted:

the left is so small and weak that it wouldn't make much difference anyways

Left tube actually pulls down a pretty big amount of views, it's just that the accounts are few in number compared to the right wingers and the algorithm never actually sends people down the Marxist rabbit hole the way it does the alt right.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Left tube actually pulls down a pretty big amount of views, it's just that the accounts are few in number compared to the right wingers and the algorithm never actually sends people down the Marxist rabbit hole the way it does the alt right.

while left tube is pretty inconsequential, i mean the american left in general

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

what qualifies as "conspiracy theory" for youtube?

quote:

The examples the company cited include "promoting a phony miracle cure for a serious illness, claiming the earth is flat, or making blatantly false claims about historic events like 9/11."

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Dammit I knew I should have just read the thing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
And yeah this is going to hit some leftist stuff, but the right wing conspiracy machine is so much larger that it's probs a net positive.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bush did do 9/11 tho

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Okay so reading the thing and then reading YouTube's announcement about it:

quote:

While this shift will apply to less than one percent of the content on YouTube, we believe that limiting the recommendation of these types of videos will mean a better experience for the YouTube community. To be clear, this will only affect recommendations of what videos to watch, not whether a video is available on YouTube. As always, people can still access all videos that comply with our Community Guidelines and, when relevant, these videos may appear in recommendations for channel subscribers and in search results. We think this change strikes a balance between maintaining a platform for free speech and living up to our responsibility to users.

Also only applies to the USA at first, with plans to roll out to other countries. Mostly supported by AI, but apparently with some human supervision. If you subscribe to a conspiracy channel, you'll still get recommendations for conspiracy poo poo, but if you don't then the idea is you won't get those recommendations. Given that most left-tube stuff I've seen posted here is explicitly not conspiracy ridden bullshit, this won't affect most leftist channels at all. Well, at least as stated. Channels like Contra, Philosophy Tube, Hbomb, etc, will be fine.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

A big part is that while the right has a lot more subs, they have a lot fewer views, because so much of it is astroturfed

the problem is, YouTube absolutely rewards astroturfing and SEO poo poo, so simply being viewed far more by actual people means you get shuffled into the background

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

A big part is that while the right has a lot more subs, they have a lot fewer views, because so much of it is astroturfed

the problem is, YouTube absolutely rewards astroturfing and SEO poo poo, so simply being viewed far more by actual people means you get shuffled into the background

lol it owns that I know more about how YouTube operates than do about how my local city council operates

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

it's cool that they're using an algorithm to help solve the problems created by over-reliance on an algorithm

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SpaceGoku posted:

it's cool that they're using an algorithm to help solve the problems created by over-reliance on an algorithm

people can be sued for loving up. algorithms are blameless, holy creatures, which descend from the heavens without ever touching human hands

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SpaceGoku posted:

One day some enterprising CHUD is going to figure out the correct sequence for uploading specific titles in a row and cause an Oops! All Crunchberries! week on Youtube but instead of Crunchberries it's Stormfront.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Streak posted:

Bush did do 9/11 tho

this is a conspiracy theory, however bush let it happen is unequivocally true

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is a conspiracy theory, however bush let it happen is unequivocally true

ffs

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Okay so reading the thing and then reading YouTube's announcement about it:

Also only applies to the USA at first, with plans to roll out to other countries. Mostly supported by AI, but apparently with some human supervision. If you subscribe to a conspiracy channel, you'll still get recommendations for conspiracy poo poo, but if you don't then the idea is you won't get those recommendations. Given that most left-tube stuff I've seen posted here is explicitly not conspiracy ridden bullshit, this won't affect most leftist channels at all. Well, at least as stated. Channels like Contra, Philosophy Tube, Hbomb, etc, will be fine.

so theyll need to watch it constantly to make sure that nazis dont start mass flagging leftist videos so the algorithm filters them on its own

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Grenrow posted:

Some of them, like Sebastian Gorka, do go to Hungary. The problem is that they come back as even worse Nazis.

Jose posted:

i'm surprised the alt-right haven'r decided to move to hungary

https://twitter.com/sianushka/status/1094909772854427648

guess it's time to add Death To Hungary to the list

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Agean90 posted:

The algorithm is very sus in general. For example it recommends Ben Shapiro videos thousands of times a day but not Charlie Kirk or Dennis Prager. The Young Turks have a media presence many times more than all of the people I've mentioned but they get no recommendations. No one has ever explained why Ben Shapiro is omnipresent on youtube.

https://algotransparency.org/

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

The algorithm is very sus in general. For example it recommends Ben Shapiro videos thousands of times a day but not Charlie Kirk or Dennis Prager. The Young Turks have a media presence many times more than all of the people I've mentioned but they get no recommendations. No one has ever explained why Ben Shapiro is omnipresent on youtube.

https://algotransparency.org/

It's almost as though wealthy billionaires are able to astroturf their preferred personalities by paying Google a lot of money.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Try watching a couple of video game reviews and watch your recommendations turn to absolute poo poo. If I ever look up anything remotely related to movies or games or whatever I go straight incognito mode nowadays

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Spergin Morlock posted:

It's almost as though wealthy billionaires are able to astroturf their preferred personalities by paying Google a lot of money.

All conservative mouthpieces have their own billionaire sugar daddy but they don't have the same representation on youtube.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

Yeah it always ruled how most ads are like 2 minutes max with content restrictions but Prager U can put a fukken hour long video calling half the population violent pedophiles with no problem

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Agean90 posted:

Yeah it always ruled how most ads are like 2 minutes max with content restrictions but Prager U can put a fukken hour long video calling half the population violent pedophiles with no problem

its all about the benjamins baby

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

Yeah but both PragerU and TPUSA have billionaire support too. I'd guess Shapiro having been on this grift for a longer time, and possibly using more extensive clickbaiting, trend-chasing, and SEO, could weight the algorithm towards him over the other two's less proven ability to generate watch time.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
imagine being ben shapiro, astroturfed to hell and even getting on a pewdiepie video. his view counts are still poo poo cause people click off after listening to him speak for more than 5 seconds

reminds me of the australian version, all anti vaxxers and flat earthers

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

sleeptalker posted:

Yeah but both PragerU and TPUSA have billionaire support too. I'd guess Shapiro having been on this grift for a longer time, and possibly using more extensive clickbaiting, trend-chasing, and SEO, could weight the algorithm towards him over the other two's less proven ability to generate watch time.

I think another factor is that Shapiro's audience is younger and spends more time watching videos. Prager and TP have a boomer fan base despite trying to appeal to youth. But Ben has figured out how to appeal to the millennial conservative dweeb. He provides the parasocial relationship that is key to online celebrity. Same with Jordan Peterson

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

shapiro sits at the intersection between right wing vlog poo poo which is an easy 200k views or so and sjw cringe poo poo which can go viral among really stupid teens. same with peterson. i think its the same sort of logic behind why so many huge channels are just games + youtube drama. the algorithm has no way of telling what people actually like so it just rewards clickbait

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watch tons of videos about games, and rarely get any recomendations for chud stuff.

Though once I left youtube running when I went to the bathroom and it switched to a "SJWs getting owned!" collection and it was just the usual gang of idiot nazis saying stupid things without actually interacting with the so called SJWs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I don't either, but I'm also aggressive with the not interested command which helps.

A shame it means that I only ever get recs from channels i already watch

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
gamergate update

ea shares tanked a week ago cause battlefield v sold a disastrous 7.5 million copies instead of 8 or whatever the millionaire investors wanted. so proof that putting a woman in a video game is bad, all other tech/game companies are doing super right now so has to be the reason

then this happened literally days later https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/18221014/apex-legends-25-million-player-milestone-respawn-battle-royale-ea and the stock bounces way up

if fortnite is cultural marxism god knows what this is https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex-legends/about/characters 8 characters, 1 white character, 2 black women

so theyre very salty at the moment, mostly grumbling about how can it be diverse if there’s one white male

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao investors are going to kill video games and gamers are gonna get really mad at women and minorities

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Siljmonster posted:

lmao investors are going to kill video games and gamers are gonna get really mad at women and minorities

jim sterling put out a video about this today actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmW0GhdDOvw

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I watch lefties like Shaun and Hbomberguy in addition to my junk food videos of Matt Colville talking about Dungeons and Dragons, and every single advertisement is some toxic right-wing bullshit like "TAKE THIS SURVEY TO FIGHT FAKE NEWS! THIS ADVERTISEMENT PAID FOR BY DONALD TRUMP!" or "HI, I'M BOB SHITDICK FROM PRAGERU TO TELL YOU WHY IT'S ACTUALLY A GOOD THING BLACK PEOPLE ARE SHOT MORE OFTEN BY POLICE."

As one-note and repetitive as Da Share z0ne has become, this image holds true:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Agean90 posted:

I don't either, but I'm also aggressive with the not interested command which helps.

A shame it means that I only ever get recs from channels i already watch

I have watched so many Dark Souls lore videos so many times because they popped up and I've been to lazy to watch something else.

Even when i watch a shaun or hbomber vid, i'd think it would want to watch videos on the same subject but without any kind of nuance, but nope.

Siljmonster posted:

That's almost every publicly traded company, they need to satisfy their investors and shareholders before their customers or employees.

twistedmentat has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Feb 12, 2019

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The real trick is that we're about to learn that Youtube considers "trans rights' a conspiracy theory.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Pope Guilty posted:

The real trick is that we're about to learn that Youtube considers "trans rights' a conspiracy theory.

wasnt it classified as hate speech a year ago

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

twistedmentat posted:

I have watched so many Dark Souls lore videos so many times because they popped up and I've been to lazy to watch something else.

Even when i watch a shaun or hbomber vid, i'd think it would want to watch videos on the same subject but without any kind of nuance, but nope.

*in a very VaatiVidya voice, which is like Ringo Starr on Quaaludes*
"Is it possible that Ser Caryus the Writhing Knight is, in fact, the Bound Shade of Londor? According to the item description of Sneff's Festering Toenail, 'Those who writhe must be bound, lest they lose their way and stub their toes upon the jagged, rock-strewn ground of Londor.' From this we may gather the Writhing Knight is the possibly the Bound Shade of Londor, and that his name in life was once Sneff."

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Reclines Obesily posted:

wasnt it classified as hate speech a year ago

What

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

twistedmentat posted:

That's almost every publicly traded company, they need to satisfy their investors and shareholders before their customers or employees.

whats up today with people explaining things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

YouTube censors conspiracy theories claiming that Gwynivere is merely a projection of dark sun Gwyndolyn