Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

loquacius posted:

Is Jon Favreau usually smarter than this because every tweet posted has been 100% weasel word and it usually takes more than factional alignment to get the kind of fawning adoration PSA has

he is a :decorum: elemental at heart so drumpf liberals cant get enough of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also it took a whole lot of discussion of Jon Favreau before I figured out they weren't talking about the guy from Chef

Serf
May 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

Also it took a whole lot of discussion of Jon Favreau before I figured out they weren't talking about the guy from Chef

the world would be better if the jon favreau from chef was the only jon favreau

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

You mean the guy from Swingers :colbert:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

loquacius posted:

Is Jon Favreau usually smarter than this because every tweet posted has been 100% weasel word and it usually takes more than factional alignment to get the kind of fawning adoration PSA has

no, they get attention because they were writers for obama

they deserve basically none of it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

It's only even woke in that they like to say woke-sounding things as a rhetorical tactic; they still don't want to actually help disadvantaged people because that would be difficult and/or require doing things

See also, literally every Whiskey Juvenile post since the election.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"most"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

loquacius posted:

He signed onto this because of Slavitt and decided to dig a hole rather than own up to the fact that his friend snookered him.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

loquacius posted:

he worked for obama which makes him the most qualified podcast host in history

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

he worked for obama which makes him the most qualified podcast host in history

drat that's some good suck for breakfast

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i used to think jon favreau was dreamy, and at least had that going for him, as recently as last week. and then i saw him on live tv

i am one to talk but he's got some tooth poo poo going on that really ruins his face's vibe

i'm posting itt rn because trump is doing a suck phase

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

they sat around and decorumed about trump & bernie all through the election and then were pretentious enough to rename themselves from the already-pretentious "keepin' it 1600", which at least is understandable as a brag about their credentials, to "pod save america", because i guess the obama crowd are the only people who can save the nation

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I listened to Favreau's Keeping it 1600 podcast a few times before the election, and they were just shilling for Hillary super hard and constantly assuring their listeners of her inevitable victory.

Looking back, it's pretty lol

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Jazerus posted:

they sat around and decorumed about trump & bernie all through the election and then were pretentious enough to rename themselves from the already-pretentious "keepin' it 1600", which at least is understandable as a brag about their credentials, to "pod save america", because i guess the obama crowd are the only people who can save the nation

:yeah: i give them the benefit of the doubt, as writers, that the Pod Save / God Save thing is a knowing, tongue-in-cheek sendup of themselves

too bad that's a fine line to walk and lol too bad perception is king

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I listened to Favreau's Keeping it 1600 podcast a few times before the election, and they were just shilling for Hillary super hard and constantly assuring their listeners of her inevitable victory.

Looking back, it's pretty lol

yeah it was kind of horrific honestly

listening to them was the first time i felt deep in my bones that lanyards are mostly not malicious so much as really, really stupid while believing they're really smart

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jazerus posted:

listening to them was the first time i felt deep in my bones that lanyards are mostly not malicious so much as really, really stupid while believing they're really smart

Hanlon's Razor explains so much in life

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
jim messina is the funniest obama failson

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
few days before the UK general election, while he was "helping" the loving Tories

https://twitter.com/Messina2012/status/872792410572632066

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hillary and Bernie's policy positions were 99% the same!

It’s true; they both wanted to preserve the system of private ownership of the means of production

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

See also, literally every Whiskey Juvenile post since the election.

Solidarity not charity, hope this helps

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GalacticAcid posted:

few days before the UK general election, while he was "helping" the loving Tories

https://twitter.com/Messina2012/status/872792410572632066

always fun to bring this up when people double down on the idea that suggesting the democrats are bad at all because TRUMP! is borderline treason

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jazerus posted:

any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malevolence

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

always fun to bring this up when people double down on the idea that suggesting the democrats are bad at all because TRUMP! is borderline treason

and of course obama himself calling up May to reassure her that the Tories would be winning out lol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reason people are for single payer goes deeper than just affordable healthcare, because otherwise we could just increase subsidies and regulation on insurance companies. We recognize, however, that they serve no function other than to skim profit and deny care. However, it’s furthermore unclear what benefit leaving the actual provision of care in the hands of private organizations serves.

there does not seem to be a single person who has expressed support of single payer to actually opposes a national health system, so it is very weird to see how the conversation has focused solely on a plan that is on its face problematic.

it is just emblematic of this weird took that progressives have of getting caught up in a slogan instead of actually thinking through what they want. The fight for 15 is another example. The movement started in 2012 to provide a living wage, and now we’re proposing to maybe raise the minimum wage to $15 by 2021 or some bullshit. $15 isn’t a living wage now, and it certainly won’t be in another three years.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The reason people are for single payer goes deeper than just affordable healthcare, because otherwise we could just increase subsidies and regulation on insurance companies. We recognize, however, that they serve no function other than to skim profit and deny care. However, it’s furthermore unclear what benefit leaving the actual provision of care in the hands of private organizations serves.

there does not seem to be a single person who has expressed support of single payer to actually opposes a national health system, so it is very weird to see how the conversation has focused solely on a plan that is on its face problematic.

it is just emblematic of this weird took that progressives have of getting caught up in a slogan instead of actually thinking through what they want. The fight for 15 is another example. The movement started in 2012 to provide a living wage, and now we’re proposing to maybe raise the minimum wage to $15 by 2021 or some bullshit. $15 isn’t a living wage now, and it certainly won’t be in another three years.

Didn't stop centrist Dems from saying "well actually $12 is an easier target"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
One of the funniest things to me was when David Dayen wrote a sincere and thoughtful piece advocating for universal healthcare under a multipayer scheme and everyone stated screeching about him being a bad dem or whatever.

The dude was putting out ruthless denunciations of Obama’s handling of the financial and foreclosure crises for the entire Obama era. He diagnosed Federal mistreatment of Puerto Rico and Obama’s complicity & furtherance of it in like 2013 in a huge American Prospect piece.

But of course he is a neolib bad dem because he rejected the suck zone’s magic words

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ikanreed posted:

Didn't stop centrist Dems from saying "well actually $12 is an easier target"

$12 is an easier target if you're worried about just passing something to raise wages

in turn, a living wage is easier than seizing all capital

But if you actually want to pass a living wage, $15 isn't it

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

$12 is an easier target if you're worried about just passing something to raise wages

If you actually want to pass a living wage, $15 isn't it

this is why you suck

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If you actually want to pass a living wage, $15 isn't it

Okay, but in a vacuum, which is better? 12 or 15?

loving coming in here and going "Well 15 ain't enough" doesn't help poo poo, pay your maid you loving fake leftist "I'm more commie than thou" $250k a year making motherfucker

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
You get a minimum wage increase to $12 then you keep fighting to raise it

even if they pass an indexed-to-cost-of-living-increase living wage you still fight for more

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

loquacius posted:

he's my friends roommate from college fwiw. but every speech he wrote for Obama was nonstop weasel words and no one noticed since Obama had the charisma to sell a mushmouthed sentence full of "likely" qualifiers

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Okay, but in a vacuum, which is better? 12 or 15?

loving coming in here and going "Well 15 ain't enough" doesn't help poo poo, pay your maid you loving fake leftist "I'm more commie than thou" $250k a year making motherfucker

In a vacuum, which is better? 12 or 7.25 but you want it to be 15?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You get a minimum wage increase to $12 then you keep fighting to raise it

even if they pass an indexed-to-cost-of-living-increase living wage you still fight for more

And we're going to do the same poo poo with $15 but you act like we're not for some stupid loving reason

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

In a vacuum, which is better? 12 or 7.25 but you want it to be 15?

Woooooooooooooooosh

$12 doesn't inspire anyone, that's the problem. If your argument is that $15 doesn't inspire anyone now because 3 years has passed, I need to see some evidence proving that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I thought we already settled this when Bernie said he'd vote for $12/hr

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

in turn, a living wage is easier than seizing all capital

But if you actually want to pass a living wage, $15 isn't it

Pay your maid, dipshit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
love too eat inspiration

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

love too eat inspiration

Oh my god you're so loving dumb

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
54.40/hr or fight

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Honestly it should be more like $20 an hour, $15 is the compromise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
well you see polling tells us that $15 is the optimal inspiration level and if anyone suggested $20 that would be less inspiring so we're targeting our campaign at what the polls tell us and furthermore

• Locked thread