Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
There was one year where the marketing department's bill for hotel room minibar booze and pay-per-view exceeded the amount I was given for bonuses for my employees. To be fair they only gave me like $1500 to split amongst three people but I'm still pretty angry about that.

Like if they were entertaining clients, sure I guess, but it was just them getting smashed by themselves before/after conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Farking Bastage posted:

That PrintNightmare patch just loving exploded here. Everyone's already installed print drivers just started requiring elevation. This is why you shouldn't use the internal IT team as test subjects. Most, of not all have elevation privileges. :negative:

Yeah we are still dealing with the aftermath of printnightmare mitigations. We were completely blindsided by it because no one from regional told us they were pushing the patch or what to expect, we just started getting calls from people that they couldn't print anymore because they were getting admin credential prompts.

To make matters worse we couldn't get v4 drivers into the print server because 95% of our fleet doesnt have the xps function enabled on the printers (its extra money and the contract expires in a month)

The incoming printers were having issues authenticating to the domain controllers but luckily they fixed that via firmware recently.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ooooo my favorite company budget story that I ever personally experienced.

I was young, 25-6 at the time I believe, and working helpdesk for a medical startup company. They tried really hard to be hip and cool and put out that startup vibe when recruiting people.

Anyway the company had gone public and the founder was stepping down so they wanted to host some presentation at the building they were renting out. We had some lovely PA system that was apparently a helpdesk responsibility and we got it all setup and did the best we could but it ended up being a disaster. The guy would keep walking in front of speakers and it'd feedback like crazy, or he'd lower the mic and be inaudible. IT caught a bunch of poo poo for it and our IT director put me in charge of getting a new system in place for another all company meeting, that was going to be the last one in the old building. I was told very specifically that money was NO object, this had to be perfect and IT needed to get it right this time.

So I worked with a company that built a $50K mobile PA system with all the bells and whistles, new speakers, lapel mics, earpieces the whole works. I have no audio background whatsoever, I just went with whatever our sales guy and engineer from our local room audio/teleconference company recommended. The system got used for that next big meeting before our company moved to a new HQ and it went great! It sounded amazing and everyone was happy!

Well we move to our new building, and along with the move there was a new CEO and CFO. They start feeling the squeeze from investors and start tightening down the budget. There was some big year end review and they come across this $50K PA system thats been sitting in a closet unused for 6 months since the move. They raise hell with me and ask a ton of questions about it. Thankfully I have the CYA emails that I've saved, back and forths with the IT director and his approvals for purchases.

The end result is he "steps down". He was on his way out anyways but the departure was definitely sped up as a result of this fiasco. I dont get in trouble as a lowly help desk worker but can see the writing on the wall for the company. I end up getting another job about 3 months later. 1/2 of IT gets layed off within 6 months along with a ton of other people at the company.

I still have some friends that work there to this day, and I've been told that PA system has only been used once since I left.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ugh ew had a company ask to do a hackerrank assessment before even having an initial call/email :fuckoff:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Fool posted:

You shouldn’t, and this a good opportunity to fix it.

Even especiallyIT should be using regular user accounts day to day and only elevate to a privileged account when needed.

Or, you could do it like we do, and just make each use an admin on their own machine!
Not kidding - that floored me when I got here. You can’t even log into a domain machine without being added to the admins group on the machine. I have no idea why.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

air- posted:

Ugh ew had a company ask to do a hackerrank assessment before even having an initial call/email :fuckoff:

To be frank, I am surprised that more employers in TYOOL 2021 do not do this. I am extremely glad they don't because I am just..... not very good at those assessments. It is a goal of mine that I keep procrastinating on to do leetcode and crap like that to get much more competitive. Thankfully I am not competing for pure software engineering / comp sci roles, I am more on the IT and infrastructure side.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Good luck!

Thanks!

skipdogg posted:

Sweet! One of my pet peeves is companies that try to penny pinch on equipment. They'll pay 150K a year for an employee, but balk at a spending money on a proper workstation.

I've had that discussion a few times, I had to break down the time saved and how much it added up to over the lifetime of a machine once, that finally drove the point home enough that I didn't have to do it again.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inner Light posted:

To be frank, I am surprised that more employers in TYOOL 2021 do not do this. I am extremely glad they don't because I am just..... not very good at those assessments. It is a goal of mine that I keep procrastinating on to do leetcode and crap like that to get much more competitive. Thankfully I am not competing for pure software engineering / comp sci roles, I am more on the IT and infrastructure side.

ugh tell me about it

I hate puzzles too. An odd thing to say given uh *gestures at IT wildly*, but it’s true!

I have a list of 100 leetcode questions I’m just putting off and off. It seems so questionably relevant to the type of coding you’re actually doing in devops roles too…

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I really only have the inclination to be a high end tech and to get as high up the ladder as I can in a mostly technical role. Probably why I historically jumped around so much. The same old problems get really boring really quick. I'm somewhere I can retire from now, so I'm learning to adjust to maintaining instead of fixing.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So I worked with a company that built a $50K mobile PA system with all the bells and whistles, new speakers, lapel mics, earpieces the whole works. I have no audio background whatsoever, I just went with whatever our sales guy and engineer from our local room audio/teleconference company recommended. The system got used for that next big meeting before our company moved to a new HQ and it went great! It sounded amazing and everyone was happy!

As an audio guy on the side, this doesn't have a lot of impact - up until the last five years or so, $50k simply wouldn't be that much to spend on a PA system, if you're actually doing it correctly. Sure, you could have bought the cheap bullshit and get by (to be clear, the cheap bullshit NOW is several orders of magnitude better than it was 20 years ago due to the digital revolution finally coming to live audio - you can get a $1500 digital mixer that does things a $30k mixer wouldn't do 10 years ago, so that's why I'm saying up until the last five years), but 10 years ago if you wanted even semi-reliable wireless mics, automixing, good processing and feedback suppression, wireless monitoring, and so on, $50k seems like a reasonable chunk of money but not an over the top chunk of money.

The REAL issue is that no one realizes how hard it is to do audio properly, something only exacerbated by bullshit like Apple earbuds (in that no one knows what good earbuds even sound like, and I'm not talking about dumbass audiophile bullshit, I just mean decent reproduction), and balks as soon as the pricetag gets above what they think is reasonable, which is $30 for a pair of earbuds and $50 for a microphone because it's just one microphone, Michael, how much could it cost?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SyNack Sassimov posted:

The REAL issue is that no one realizes how hard it is to do audio properly, something only exacerbated by bullshit like Apple earbuds (in that no one knows what good earbuds even sound like, and I'm not talking about dumbass audiophile bullshit, I just mean decent reproduction), and balks as soon as the pricetag gets above what they think is reasonable, which is $30 for a pair of earbuds and $50 for a microphone because it's just one microphone, Michael, how much could it cost?

fun issue with apple air pods is the windows drivers like to just die after 4 hours of use according to my user's.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

wargames posted:

fun issue with apple air pods is the windows drivers like to just die after 4 hours of use according to my user's.

Windows also breaks the device handoff and it won't want to go back to your i-thingies

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Farking Bastage posted:

Windows also breaks the device handoff and it won't want to go back to your i-thingies

honestly i think it partly terrible apple drivers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My boss hired this consultant to audit our firewalls. Ok fine. Created a vpn account and gave him access to the firepower management center. The guy replies to my email with his credentials in the god drat email and CCs like 4 other people asking for ssh access.

Dude. No. Now you gotta change your password immediately. What was this guy thinking.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GreenNight posted:

My boss hired this consultant to audit our firewalls. Ok fine. Created a vpn account and gave him access to the firepower management center. The guy replies to my email with his credentials in the god drat email and CCs like 4 other people asking for ssh access.

Dude. No. Now you gotta change your password immediately. What was this guy thinking.

And now you have learnt the lesson to never send username and password in the same email.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

I’d ask your boss if he wants a security audit from a guy who’s stupid enough to forward his credentials to others.

Also, give him the tshirt Jaegerx posted.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

LochNessMonster posted:

I’d ask your boss if he wants a security audit from a guy who’s stupid enough to forward his credentials to others.

Also, give him the tshirt Jaegerx posted.

And also send your boss my contact info and tell him I'll do the audit for 70% of whatever that dude charged.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

wargames posted:

honestly i think it partly terrible apple drivers.

Bluetooth devices haven't got dedicated drivers on windows, it's just the standard bluetooth profiles drivers with a device-descriptive tag bolted on each to make it look nice. Microsoft bluetooth drivers haven't been touched since windows 7 and they still have the same memory leaks(which make it crap out during long calls).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Why are you sending someone plaintext credentials over email?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Got a mail this morning: "We're proceeding with your application, please notify your references that they'll receive a call shortly"

:yotj:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jeoh posted:

Why are you sending someone plaintext credentials over email?

We don’t have a better way. That’s SOP for us. There are other battles I’m fighting over security.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
You could at least base64 the credentials as a json string or something lol. Security through obscurity but still

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
EBG13 vf gur hygvzngr va zbqrea frphevgl.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What's wrong with a text file in a restricted onedrive?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you're going to send passwords in an email at least try and encrypt them

https://keybase.io/encrypt

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Privnote.com works good for me :shrug:

E: Only send the password through it though, never the username nor login URL or anything like that

CloFan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 15, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Wibla posted:

Got a mail this morning: "We're proceeding with your application, please notify your references that they'll receive a call shortly"

:yotj:

Good job!

Re: passwordchat my new place sent my username/password in a single email and I'm not sure how I feel about that. TLS was used so probably not the end of the world, but not ideal either.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I signed up for Cybersecurity courses at a local collage who then emailed my username and password in plain text. Oh and that password could not be reset. Needless to say I did not return after a semester.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

To be fair, our passwords for all users was their initials123 for about a decade until about 6 months ago. Even the CEO. Now we have Duo, ADFS password reset portal, change policies, etc. Getting there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EDITED.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 2, 2022

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So I worked with a company that built a $50K mobile PA system
I have a similar story from when I worked at a fund management company.

Someone in marketing got the idea that they'd take several hours per week of our already overworked and extremely expensive fund managers and put them in front of a camera to do a weekly talk show about investment that they could use for marketing purposes. Note that this company exclusively worked with large institutional investors, not the kind of potential customers that you find on Youtube or Facebook.

They annexed a storage room and turned it into a semiprofessional green screen studio with multiple cameras, proper sound and lighting setup, top of the line Mac Pro for editing and so on. I don't know what it cost, but probably $50k+, plus a ton of work.

To their credit the few shows they did make were pretty decent in terms of production value, but they got maybe a hundred views together and generated exactly zero new investment so the idea waa quickly shelved.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I want to laugh at how insecure some of your systems are but I've been involved in offboarding a contractor we fired because our process was too complex for him to authenticate (okta 2fa, machine certs and short lived ssh keys generated by vault)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We have that issue. One application vendor demanded a set user and pass with no Duo because his entire team is to use it and management said ok.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
At my gig with the crazy CISO, the Ceo has mandated from today to next tuesday as a company mandated PTO/Refresh and for everyone to take a holiday. This is an unlimited pto company.

At no time has my CISO said that "we" aren't taking the time off and I not being a giant idiot, didn't ask permission to take off when the mandate comes from the CEO.

Despite my out of office message and being offline, she is still emailing and teams messaging me as if she is pretending the company isn't shut down. This is where she can fire me, because I am taking the week off.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

At my gig with the crazy CISO, the Ceo has mandated from today to next tuesday as a company mandated PTO/Refresh and for everyone to take a holiday. This is an unlimited pto company.

That's really rad.

quote:

Despite my out of office message and being offline, she is still emailing and teams messaging me as if she is pretending the company isn't shut down. This is where she can fire me, because I am taking the week off.

"who the gently caress is scraeming "LOG ON" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never log on"

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
We're putting together an actual IT team, rather than just me doing everything, and I want some kind of ticket system for incidents and projects. Team of maybe 6, around 1k users.
Is the thread consensus Freshservice?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Silly Newbie posted:

We're putting together an actual IT team, rather than just me doing everything, and I want some kind of ticket system for incidents and projects. Team of maybe 6, around 1k users.
Is the thread consensus Freshservice?

Do you have a budget or other requirements? (cloud vs on prem?)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

6 seats of the Growth plan should be fine, if C-levels want more reporting then you might want to consider going up to the Pro tier. All versions work with SSO so get that set up as a priority.

I'd run projects out of something like MS Planner rather than inside tickets, maybe you can create a ticket per task and assign it out if you want to have your techs working out of a single interface.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Personally I prefer having my tasks in the ticket queue so my to-do's are all in one place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Cloud preferred, but on prem I could make work if I had to.
I'm less worried about reporting and may not even tell the c level people, it's more for internal tracking of what's been done, who's doing what, and "how did we solve that weird problem 6 months ago, because it happened again".
This company absolutely throws money at everything, so there can be a budget, but I don't want something so complicated that I'll lose efficiency because no one knows how to work it.