Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

But not before 2009:
ARMA 2
Battlefield 1943
Battlefield Heroes (uh, did it have first person outside of sniper rifles? can't remember)
Borderlands
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
The Conduit
Delta Force: Xtreme 2
Dreamkiller
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
Halo 3: ODST
Killzone 2
Left 4 Dead 2
NecroVisioN
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Painkiller: Resurrection
Raven Squad: Operation Hidden Dagger
Rogue Warrior
Section 8
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Wolfenstein
Zeno Clash

The men and women of Wikipedia are a bit weird sometimes. Zeno Clash is on their list of first person shooters, but Thief: Deadly Shadows, Condemned and Dark Messiah weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Condemned is technically a first-person hobo clubber. I don't remember if you can even get a gun in that game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mierenneuker posted:

But not before 2009:
ARMA 2
Battlefield 1943
Battlefield Heroes (uh, did it have first person outside of sniper rifles? can't remember)
Borderlands
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
The Conduit
Delta Force: Xtreme 2
Dreamkiller
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
Halo 3: ODST
Killzone 2
Left 4 Dead 2
NecroVisioN
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Painkiller: Resurrection
Raven Squad: Operation Hidden Dagger
Rogue Warrior
Section 8
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Wolfenstein
Zeno Clash

The men and women of Wikipedia are a bit weird sometimes. Zeno Clash is on their list of first person shooters, but Thief: Deadly Shadows, Condemned and Dark Messiah weren't.

2009 actually has quite a few neat games in it, Wolfenstein 2009 is excellent, Battlefield 1943 was a neat little budget game, and I'll always be sad that Section 8 never caught on like it should have

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The Conduit is notable to me because playing that, along with the Wii port of Resident Evil 4, broke my brain and made me switch from inverted mouse controls to standard even in PC games.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I was 1000% convinced that 1943 was going to get a PC release and then expanded to include other classic Battlefield 1942 maps and factions. I’m still salty it never happened :(

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Not Turok 2008, but the good ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqNAA-Jk0BQ

Also mentions @ around 7 minutes the notdwango map in the Turok 2 remaster which I think Rocket Pan made, or at least built the obj file for it. I didn't know they actually had it in the game files at one point

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
FEAR 2 is pretty good. Fond memories of feeding Mister General his own shotgun.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Narcissus1916 posted:

Speaking of the great Chex Quest 3, are there any other comparatively breezy Doom/Duke TCs with a similar vibe? I'm replaying Shadow of the Wool Ball and having a blast - and finally digging into Pirates Doom.

This, perhaps? https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/114197-jazz-jackrabbit-80-out-now/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

Condemned is technically a first-person hobo clubber. I don't remember if you can even get a gun in that game.

You can in both games but they’re generally limited to the ammo that happens to be in the weapon; to counter this limitation, they’re generally very powerful and satisfying to use.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I was 1000% convinced that 1943 was going to get a PC release and then expanded to include other classic Battlefield 1942 maps and factions. I’m still salty it never happened :(

It was suppose to come to PC. Not sure what happened. I'm guessing it was delayed to a point where it'd cannibalize whatever other BF project was going on.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
https://twitter.com/ViolateGeneva/status/1258436652005044224?s=09

Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer was way more unbalanced than the first MW, but that just made me enjoy it more.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm going to say Necrovision is the start of FPS games going back to their arcadey 90s roots. You can carry more than 2 weapons!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disney's Turok game was so very bad and yet I still finished it. I remember playing it and just being stunned this was what Disney thought was ok to release

haveblue posted:

Did anyone actually name their baby Turok

Little Turok would be 13 years old today, where are they now

That was for Turok: Evolution a 2002 game, so baby Turok would be 18.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The most frustrating thing about WW2 games for me is you're just waiting for a German to drop an stg and then get pissed off when you lose it at the end of a level.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Yeah definitely picking this up next. My only problem with these games is I tend to blast through them super quick, guess I'll have to put in on a harder difficulty. Middle difficulty on DUSK was a tad easy, particularly with the quicksave system. In a way I'd rather there were checkpoints.

Neither is very hard but I found Amid Evil especially easy, even on the secret nightmare difficulty with champion mode/pistol start mode.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

al-azad posted:

The most frustrating thing about WW2 games for me is you're just waiting for a German to drop an stg and then get pissed off when you lose it at the end of a level.

Haha too true. I did a RtCW playthrough recently and most of the standard guns seemed to either be really short-range bullet hoses or manual action rifles; both of which were awkward for a game with a shitton of very quick reaction hitscan enemies. My enjoyment of the usual gunplay was dramatically increased whenever a German dropped an FG42 Paratroop Rifle, which actually hit hard/was accurate even when hip fired/had automatic firing and a reasonable magazine. It was the workhorse general purpose weapon I needed, but it took a long time to appear and also disappeared from my possession sadly frequently.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

HolyKrap posted:

Also mentions @ around 7 minutes the notdwango map in the Turok 2 remaster which I think Rocket Pan made, or at least built the obj file for it. I didn't know they actually had it in the game files at one point

I wrangled an obj file for it, Kaiser made the collision. Somehow the map file made it in on the launch release but not the obj file (which would have gotten us in real trouble as it straight up used Doom2 textures :v:).

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Modern Warfare 2 was laughably unbalanced, but still drat fun with friends. I used to team up with a crew from another website and we would generally destroy anything we were put up against. MW2 also had the absurdly broken ACR, a no recoil AR that might as well have been a laser weapon. On a level surface? Just aim at head level and corner strafe, especially in the airport level. I knew I needed to stop playing when I got three nukes in one night using this strat.

The stupid gun wasn't even the most broken part. Perks that doubled your outgoing and halved your incoming explosive damage? Totally. Further than Halo sword charge distance instakill knifes? Yeah, why not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I quit out of Modern Warfare 2 after about an hour of multiplayer when out of 5 matches 4 ended in nukes

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've mentioned my love for FEAR 2, so I want to show some love for Wolfenstein '09. Absolutely fantastic game, barring a few issues here and there, with a neat gimmick, fun levels and shooting, and the loving particle cannon. Hearing enemies freak out as you vaporise their entire squad is so satisfying.

Assault on Dark Athena is how I played Escape from Butcher Bay, so I'll give it a shout out too, just because it's awesome that they decided to package that up with it. Left 4 Dead 2 is great, just a pure upgrade over the first one (which, I kinda understand why some people were upset but by this point I don't think it matters much).

I need to play the Call of Juarez games (well, 1, Bound in Blood, and Gunslinger at least), westerns are one of those genres that I really love despite kinda being the odd man out on my list. I also can't wait for ODST on PC, it was the most interesting sounding and it being Xbox exclusive was one of the few times I was really disappointed by that.

Supposedly there are people who say that MW2 has the best campaign of all the Call of Dutys? I dunno, it had a couple highlights but I wasn't terribly impressed. Honestly from what I've played (2, 4, MW2, WaW, and Blops), I prefer the Treyarch games.

Rogue Warrior has the best credits music, possibly ever, but other than that it manages to be very boring. Good thing it's like, 2 hours long!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rogue Warrior has a dedicated “gently caress” button like Call of Juarez has “spit biblical fire” and Dusk has “twirl guns like Revolver Ocelot”

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I think BF3 has the dumbest, most senseless plot I've seen in a big budget shooter campaign, but MW2's was the most energetic in how dumb it was. Trying to sum it up in one paragraph makes you sound like a cokehead.

You start as a private in Afghanistan, and after one mission you're invited to join a Black Ops force where you infiltrate a Russian Ultra-Nationalist Cell who commit a mass shooting at an airport but you're double-crossed at the very end of the mission. Since they find an American corpse and there's apparently no security footage of the world's most famous Russian terrorist leading the act, Russia is tricked into assuming that America acted alone and so full-on invades the US within like a day. Then you fight in America against the Russians where apparently a suburban highway rest stop is like the most important axis for invading Washington DC. You're switching between this American Ranger and some JTF British guy who follows the PC from MW1 around to a mountaintop airbase, then to a Brazilian Favela, then to a former gulag to rescue the SAS/JTF commander from MW1 who gets you to invade a submarine base to launch a nuke at DC so that the EMP can halt the invasion. Then as the Ranger you have to secure the White House instead of just letting it get bombed for some reason. Then you go as the JTF British guy to raid a cabin to secure some intelligence, at the end of which that General who recruited the soldier from the beginning of the campaign (who was responsible for getting America invaded) double-crosses you and kills British JTF guy so then you go back to playing Soap from the first game to raid the Afghani compound of that General to get revenge on him.

It kind of rules that it's that dumb and energetic, but holy poo poo.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

al-azad posted:

So much attention to detail was poured into Far Cry 2 that they forgot to make the core gameplay loop fun. The year Assassin's Creed came out was one of Ubisoft's best nearly tripling their net income and they gave those guys a blank check to camp in Africa and design dynamic fire lol.

thats why its been an enduring cult hit. it has the same weird focus on tone and atmosphere that like a much lower budget eastern european game would have

al-azad posted:

Rogue Warrior has a dedicated “gently caress” button like Call of Juarez has “spit biblical fire” and Dusk has “twirl guns like Revolver Ocelot”

holy poo poo guys we almost missed the true enduring classic of 2009: 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 8, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm trying to remember the name of a game that never came out. It was to be a fantasy FPS, either multiplayer only or with a focus on that, and I think it was around when Crysis was revelead and both games touted their advanced new graphics engines. Anyone know wtf I'm talking about?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game that never came out. It was to be a fantasy FPS, either multiplayer only or with a focus on that, and I think it was around when Crysis was revelead and both games touted their advanced new graphics engines. Anyone know wtf I'm talking about?

Probably Project Offset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWNokSt_DjA

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Plan Z posted:

I think BF3 has the dumbest, most senseless plot I've seen in a big budget shooter campaign, but MW2's was the most energetic in how dumb it was. Trying to sum it up in one paragraph makes you sound like a cokehead.

You start as a private in Afghanistan, and after one mission you're invited to join a Black Ops force where you infiltrate a Russian Ultra-Nationalist Cell who commit a mass shooting at an airport but you're double-crossed at the very end of the mission. Since they find an American corpse and there's apparently no security footage of the world's most famous Russian terrorist leading the act, Russia is tricked into assuming that America acted alone and so full-on invades the US within like a day. Then you fight in America against the Russians where apparently a suburban highway rest stop is like the most important axis for invading Washington DC. You're switching between this American Ranger and some JTF British guy who follows the PC from MW1 around to a mountaintop airbase, then to a Brazilian Favela, then to a former gulag to rescue the SAS/JTF commander from MW1 who gets you to invade a submarine base to launch a nuke at DC so that the EMP can halt the invasion. Then as the Ranger you have to secure the White House instead of just letting it get bombed for some reason. Then you go as the JTF British guy to raid a cabin to secure some intelligence, at the end of which that General who recruited the soldier from the beginning of the campaign (who was responsible for getting America invaded) double-crosses you and kills British JTF guy so then you go back to playing Soap from the first game to raid the Afghani compound of that General to get revenge on him.

It kind of rules that it's that dumb and energetic, but holy poo poo.

I remember my college roommate and I took turns pulling an all-nighter to beat the campaign and by the time we were launching a nuke at DC our sleep deprived brains had no idea what the gently caress was going on.

Either him or someone else later remarked to me “The MW2 campaign is basically a Tom Clancy Wet Dream” except late 1990s and not 1980s Tom Clancy in terms of crazy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I miss Tom Clancy’s brand of pre-9/11 jingoism where NATO was universally good, Japanese corporations threatened the world with robotic efficiency, and ecoterrorism was the greatest threat to the world.

I could never figure out MW2. Russia became ultra conservative and was so pissed off over a false flag they attack America by apparently flying across all of Europe undetected?? At least World in Conflict made them attack the west coast through Alaska, you know, a believable scenario.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 8, 2020

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Apparently some of the people from that project founded a new studio, and they're working on a game that looks similar in ways to Project Offset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v08jbR-B3s

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

That's the one. Guess I dismembered it being multiplayer due to its class-based gameplay. Too bad, it looked pretty cool.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

al-azad posted:

I'm going to say Necrovision is the start of FPS games going back to their arcadey 90s roots. You can carry more than 2 weapons!

I bought Necrovision on GOG a couple of years back, but I still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I think the sequel's also on GOG as well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I bought Necrovision on GOG a couple of years back, but I still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I think the sequel's also on GOG as well.

I don't know why so many goons give a poo poo about Necrovision when it isn't even the "best" bad game on the 2009 list. That is hands-down Rogue Warrior. It's a total goat gently caress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luzFdYguKFU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Rogue Warrior is a mother loving national treasure tiny dick poo poo cockbreath commie piss gently caress. The development story is batshit as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjhu6Z5WhKE

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Saw that. How much is in the early access? Like one full episode? Have had my eye on Blood too.

Three levels. They're pretty long levels, and they're adding more (slowly) but it's not a full episode.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

al-azad posted:

I just wanted to say that, for some reason, the phrase "spit biblical fire" has had me in stitches since yesterday. :lol:

But yes more games need Cool loving Aesthetic buttons, even/especially if they are useless mechanically. Vanquish has a dedicated "light up a cig and take one puff before flicking it away and jumping back into the action" button.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The cigarette has an in game function though, its not purely aesthetic. Still a cool button.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dusk wins for having not only the twirly guns, but also smokable cigars and the ability to flip upside down

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Speaking of the great Chex Quest 3, are there any other comparatively breezy Doom/Duke TCs with a similar vibe? I'm replaying Shadow of the Wool Ball and having a blast - and finally digging into Pirates Doom.

Also knocked out Batman Doom a ways back, good times! And of course Adventures of Square is damned under-rated

I booted up Valiant and tried to get into it - but boy does that difficulty curve kick like a mule early in. Verging on slaughtermap at times.

Have you played Rise of the Wool Ball yet? It's just as enjoyable as the first.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/rise-of-the-wool-ball-v13

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

This isn’t exactly retro but Doom Eternal is on sale for I think about 25% off so I’m gonna dive in this weekend. Need some COVID19 stress-relief!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Barudak posted:

The cigarette has an in game function though, its not purely aesthetic. Still a cool button.

Oh that's right, it distracts enemy targeting for a second, doesn't it? It's been a while since I've played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
no shooter will ever live up to the majesty of the A Boy and His Blob remake's hug button