Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dirt posted:

We were all corncobs that night.

Apologize for the c-word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

AbsolutelySane posted:

I don't know, the quickest way to get Trump to turn on someone is make him look bad. This leak is going to be placed at Kelly's feet, no doubt about it.
While it seems far-fetched, I suppose these are also the people who legitimately believe every mass shooting is a false flag, so sure, in that context.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Krispy Kareem posted:

Can the President refuse to be examined by government doctors? His own personal physician (who looks shady af) verified his health, but once Trump is President can he not get checked out by real doctors? Or is that too Woodrow Wilson to be legal?

He's an American citizen with the full legal right to have whoever he wants to be to be his physician, or not have any doctors look at him at all.

Volume 362 of "no, there are no legal guard rails for this poo poo"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

End of an era confirmed.

Spicer says he has not been offered another White House job and will officially leave in two weeks.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/spicer-says-he-will-leave-for-good-in-august

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've repeatedly heard that bringing about change is actually really difficult for Pope Francis (assuming he even wants to do that), because he has to deal with all the cardinals and so on. But I've never had it explained as to how that's actually the case. What, precisely is stopping Pope Frank from popping out on his balcony on Easter Sunday and announcing to the crowd, and the world's media, that God spoke to him the night before and now contraception is fine and so are gays and abortions, peace?

Surely, the Pope is infallible, so this now becomes Catholic doctrine, right? Every Catholic heard it, no one can say that contraception is wrong since the Pope clearly said it wasn't. The cardinals have no process to stop or sack the Pope (other than their old standby assassination), so other than grumbling, what could they do about it? The worst I can see is that they schism into a new "No-Homers" Catholic Church, but considering that means giving up their cushy positions and access to the Church's property and mountain of cash, plus the fact that the Church probably has dirt on every single one of them, I think that's unlikely.

I'm no scholar on the matter, so please, tell me where I'm wrong.

This is like a 5 year olds understanding of how power works lol

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

End of an era confirmed.

Spicer says he has not been offered another White House job and will officially leave in two weeks.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/spicer-says-he-will-leave-for-good-in-august

I almost feel bad for Spicer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

End of an era confirmed.

he doesn't say he wasn't offered another white house job: most of the rumors suggest he basically took one look at the dollar amount on the fox news contributor contract and said gently caress it, im out

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Show me on the doll where the wint meme hurt you

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Krispy Kareem posted:

Can the President refuse to be examined by government doctors? His own personal physician (who looks shady af) verified his health, but once Trump is President can he not get checked out by real doctors? Or is that too Woodrow Wilson to be legal?

Are you asking us if the president of the united states can be forcibly restrained and examined against his will? If so, then the answer to that question is no.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

he doesn't say he wasn't offered another white house job: most of the rumors suggest he basically took one look at the dollar amount on the fox news contributor contract and said gently caress it, im out

shocking if true, they don't make a lot of money.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone tried to point out the dril tweet it's actually in reference to and Giordano went off on him. So... yeah.

Hope it doesn't catch on because I still think that tweet is funny and would like to continue joking about it without it becoming offensive.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've repeatedly heard that bringing about change is actually really difficult for Pope Francis (assuming he even wants to do that), because he has to deal with all the cardinals and so on. But I've never had it explained as to how that's actually the case. What, precisely is stopping Pope Frank from popping out on his balcony on Easter Sunday and announcing to the crowd, and the world's media, that God spoke to him the night before and now contraception is fine and so are gays and abortions, peace?

Surely, the Pope is infallible, so this now becomes Catholic doctrine, right? Every Catholic heard it, no one can say that contraception is wrong since the Pope clearly said it wasn't. The cardinals have no process to stop or sack the Pope (other than their old standby assassination), so other than grumbling, what could they do about it? The worst I can see is that they schism into a new "No-Homers" Catholic Church, but considering that means giving up their cushy positions and access to the Church's property and mountain of cash, plus the fact that the Church probably has dirt on every single one of them, I think that's unlikely.

I'm no scholar on the matter, so please, tell me where I'm wrong.

the pope is infallible only in very limited circumstances that have been used, iirc, three times over two millenia

but more to the point to make lasting change, Pope Francis needs to replace right-wingers with people who agree with him, most specifically in the college of cardinals, so his successor doesn't just reverse everything he did. plus, the pope cannot be everywhere and cannot weigh in on everything, so people who disagree with him can quietly ignore him and drag out his attempts to force change in the hopes of essentially filibustering it until he dies

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

Bannon isn't getting fired. Trump is not on a medical vacation. The leaks are not an emergency protocol for a compromised west wing. Jesus Christ. Can we at least try to keep a tenuous connection to reality around here ffs

No this is d and d.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I refuse to believe people are actually upset over the term corncob

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Apologize for the c-word.

cornc-b

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Andrast posted:

If something exists, I guarantee you that there is a small handful of people on Twitter upset about it. The key is to ignore them and move on.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Someone tried to point out the dril tweet it's actually in reference to and Giordano went off on him. So... yeah.

Hope it doesn't catch on because I still think that tweet is funny and would like to continue joking about it without it becoming offensive.

corncob is a rape culture word?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Corncob doesn't mean poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Andrast posted:

Twitter is very, very stupid.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I agree with those suggesting this came from the Bannon faction. Kelly imposing discipline, and becoming a gatekeeper to Trump in every possible way is not good for them. Kelly is going to filter out all of the Breitbart conspiracies they try to pass on to him, and Trump and Trumpism needs a constant supply of garbage information or else he will turn into a less eloquent Ted Cruz.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

While it seems far-fetched, I suppose these are also the people who legitimately believe every mass shooting is a false flag, so sure, in that context.

I'm not sure why this idea is so far fetched. The leaks have been ongoing for a while now and quite a few seem to be from insiders, not rank and file staffers. None of those insiders are Obama holdovers. This is how Trump runs his company, too. He encourages competition and cutthroat tactics from his people. Is it really all that surprising that he's getting it? None of these guys have any real sense of loyalty except to their pet causes, Bannon in particular (with the exception of the Generals, who I don't believe are behind any leaks).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

God we are gonna lose again thanks to these loving idiots. Trump is literally lying and bitching and drooling during a calls wit world leaders and these dipshits want to play loving purity woke language cop, no wonder alt right dickheads make bank when this is the "left" they fighting. :(.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Andrast posted:

Conservatives were right about liberals.

Embrace the Donald.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

evilweasel posted:

i dont think trump has the ability to admit to himself that anything about himself is imperfect at all
Trump beat his first Wife when he didn't like the results of the cosmetic surgery from the Doctor she recommended to him. That came out in thrir divorce. So we know he's game for going under the knife for his ego.

botany posted:

Bannon isn't getting fired. Trump is not on a medical vacation. The leaks are not an emergency protocol for a compromised west wing. Jesus Christ. Can we at least try to keep a tenuous connection to reality around here ffs
Two points:

First, until something new happens today that is huge and stupid and wildly unethical, conversation is gonna drift a bit. You can take comfort in (and simultaneously be horrified by) the absolute certainty that you won't need to wait long for that to happen.

Second, if we really were to "keep a tenuous connection to reality" we wouldn't be able to discuss half the poo poo that is actually happening, because every legit news story this year is something that would have sounded like crazy rambling bullshit from a paranoid lunatic a year ago.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Apparently Urban Dictionary thinks so. We'll see if this catches on in centrist twitter land so they can own anyone who makes a dril joke.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
They must have confused "corncob" with "cornholed" or something

Not that getting upset over "cornholed" is much better

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Chimp is a breathtakingly stupid clown, but he can still inflict untold harm on the country. Good thing we have a strong left that's willing to stand up for the important issues of the day!

https://twitter.com/AlGiordano/status/892949286543077377

Oh.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

HappyHippo posted:

They must have confused "corncob" with "cornholed" or something

Could very well be the case

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.

Chilichimp posted:

I get the feeling they're confusing 'corncob' with 'cornholing', which is a pretty old term for anal sex, especially anal rape in prison. Wikipedia says that 'corncob' was a synonym for 'cornhole' from the 70s, but I've never particularly heard it used that way.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

botany posted:

Trump is not on a medical vacation.

Presidents going on secret medical vacation is a real thing that really happens.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Chimp is a breathtakingly stupid clown, but he can still inflict untold harm on the country. Good thing we have a strong left that's willing to stand up for the important issues of the day!

Oh.

As someone who identifies as a dudebro, I don't like a non-db using that word.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

God we are gonna lose again thanks to these loving idiots. Trump is literally lying and bitching and drooling during a calls wit world leaders and these dipshits want to play loving purity woke language cop, no wonder alt right dickheads make bank when this is the "left" they fighting. :(.

Neera Tanden has been kinda insufferable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Shortly after the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller in May, Acting Director of the FBI Andrew McCabe told several of the highest-ranking managers of the bureau they should consider themselves possible witnesses in any investigation into whether President Donald Trump engaged in obstruction of justice, according to two senior federal law enforcement officials.

McCabe has told colleagues that he too is a potential witness in the probe of whether Trump broke the law by trying to thwart the FBI's Russia investigation and the investigation into whether the Trump campaign colluded with the Russian government to defeat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election.

Two senior federal law enforcement officials have told me that the new revelations illustrate why they believe the potential case against Trump is stronger than outsiders have thought.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/3/16084246/mueller-obstruction-case-stronger-trump-surrogates

:getin:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VotGs posted:

I get the feeling they're confusing 'corncob' with 'cornholing', which is a pretty old term for anal sex, especially anal rape in prison. Wikipedia says that 'corncob' was a synonym for 'cornhole' from the 70s, but I've never particularly heard it used that way.

yeah this must be it

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FizFashizzle posted:

I love how he's doing the "I even heard from some people it's 5k" thing to the other member of the agreement.

That weird rhetorical trick where he tries to blame his ignorance on imaginary other people.
Turnbull should have turned it around on him "Oh Mr. Trump, you put me in a tough position but how about this, as an inauguration present, limited time offer, we'll cut that down to only 2.5K if you take them right now." That's probably what happens in the business world to Trump and why he thinks he's such a great dealmaker. The actual best dealmakers always know they could have gotten a little bit more, but the rubes are always convinced they made the best deals.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

They got called corncobs by folks making fun of them, didn't know what it meant, then went to urban dictionary where "corncobbing" is something along the lines of "getting hosed over like up the butt with a corncob" and "corncob" is "a term my friends use around teachers when we can't say gay slurs". Both of these are low level ancient definitions and I strongly doubt they can point to a single use outside urban dictionary.

It's worth noting that Al Giordino had a weird twitter glitch for a while where anyone who criticized him would have their account locked due to too many password attempts. Hm. Funny that.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

VotGs posted:

It's so incredibly perfect that language policing of something this inane means the offending tweet is both the instigation and ultimate comeback.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Javes posted:

Neera Tanden has been kinda insufferable.

Most of them are insufferable pieces of pretentious poo poo who get mad at everyone and everything, gently caress them and if this is the end result for the dnc then gently caress that poo poo. I am not defending this poo poo. Kriss seems like dickhead who wants loving newspeak because he read linguistic papers in his second semester of college.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 3, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Oh.

Looking forward to future rap songs trying to rhyme on 'Corncob'.

Oh wait, 'knob'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hope they don't expect any job security

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/10/amazon-robots-warehouse.html

• Locked thread