Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I hope Things to Come is as rad as it sounds. And I feel like I'm going to know if I'll find Slacker funny or super obnoxious pretty much immediately.

Things to Come opens really strongly and has some beautiful sets. The rest... well, you'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Discount Viscount posted:

Things to Come opens really strongly and has some beautiful sets. The rest... well, you'll see.

I read the essay included already, which details how it was a huge budget failure and pretty much everyone washed their hands of it, so I'm expecting it to have some pretty glaring flaws. I'm a sucker for retro futurism, though.

I am more curious about how the three most popular reviews on Amazon seem to be decrying the Criterion edition as an abysmal transfer. http://www.amazon.com/Things-Criterion-Collection-Raymond-Massey/dp/B00BX49CCE

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I read the essay included already, which details how it was a huge budget failure and pretty much everyone washed their hands of it, so I'm expecting it to have some pretty glaring flaws. I'm a sucker for retro futurism, though.

I am more curious about how the three most popular reviews on Amazon seem to be decrying the Criterion edition as an abysmal transfer. http://www.amazon.com/Things-Criterion-Collection-Raymond-Massey/dp/B00BX49CCE

Most of the negative reviews seem to be for the much older Image DVD rather than Criterion's.

By the way, The Life Aquatic turns out to be a brand new transfer according to Blu-Ray.com. It was originally scanned at 4K and mastered at 2K for its digital intermediate. The Blu uses a fresh 4K transfer/remastering by Sony Colorworks.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just bought Blue is the Warmest Color. Bare bones, but it was only $20 for bluray

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

fenix down posted:

Was wondering when the next flash sale would be and came across this oddity: http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/criterions-flash-sale-just-say-no
This guy in the blog is objectively wrong, owning movies is awesome and anyone who disagrees is a dumb dumb no-fun poopyhead. :colbert:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
A goon posted some Criterion movies in the BR deal megathread today.. Nothing I'm buying , but maybe someones interested

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3027311&pagenumber=131

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is a fantastic buy at that price.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

boom boom boom posted:

I guess they've changed their policy, they said I can order replacement cases for 5 dollars each

I assume they saw some of their cases on eBay/Amazon and changed that policy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is a fantastic buy at that price.
I've never seen it but Cold War spy stuff is cool, someone convince me to blind-buy it. :ohdear:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Xenomrph posted:

I've never seen it but Cold War spy stuff is cool, someone convince me to blind-buy it. :ohdear:

I love it, it's essentially an anti-Bond film - unsexy, glum, vaguely unsatisfying. One of my favorite moments, and I think it sums up the film, is a bit where they're at a strip club, and as they leave the camera pans over to a wall mural made of mirror fragments which reflect a dancer in a thousand disjointed pieces. It's a film of dissatisfaction as personified by a mussed-up Richard Burton.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I don't like some of Burton's later films, but The Spy Who came In From the Cold is really good. I regret not buying it.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Has anyone sent in for the blu-ray extended version of The Last Emperor? I e-mailed them recently asking if they still did that and I haven't heard back.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

If you liked Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, it's an adaptation of a book by the same author, and while it's not necessarily as slavishly faithful it's a better movie.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Has anyone sent in for the blu-ray extended version of The Last Emperor? I e-mailed them recently asking if they still did that and I haven't heard back.

Maybe I missed something and will soon be eating crow myself, but I'm fairly confident that Criterion has never done such a thing. The released the Blu-ray with only the theatrical cut, and there has never been any addressing of that - the only thing related to this title that they offered was a plastic case and cover after they discontinued the early digipacks they had started with. The Criterion DVD release that was issued beforehand did include the extended edition, but that was an entirely different SKU.

There is a Japanese Blu-ray of The Last Emperor with both the theatrical and extended editions, and both are in the correct original aspect ratio instead of the 2.0 revisionist BS that most other labels worldwide have conformed to. That is the release to get.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Cowboy Hat Mayonnaise is my favorite film ever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Probably Monte Hellman westerns but I wouldn't rule out the classic Mormon Cowboys (1983 d.p. a slice of wonderbread).

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Or possibly another film starring The Duke? (Doubtful)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Probably Monte Hellman westerns but I wouldn't rule out the classic Mormon Cowboys (1983 d.p. a slice of wonderbread).

A Criterion release of The Shooting would be rad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think the only other immenent John Wayne movie would be The Long Voyage Home, which is a Westchester Films property (like Stagecoach). Although, John Wayne's The Alamo would be an interesting release if MGM decides to let a restoration proceed. There's a lot of online activity trying to drum up support... and it was not looking good. Basically, the film was shot on that faulty stock that fades really bad (a lot of 1959-1960 films have this problem)... and it was edited down by half an hour. It looks like even the general release cut might be lost before the year is out.

Not a great movie, but it does look interesting from what I've seen and it does have the draw of being John Wayne's first directing effort.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If you liked Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, it's an adaptation of a book by the same author, and while it's not necessarily as slavishly faithful it's a better movie.
I went ahead and blind-bought it because of you assholes. Oh well, you guys haven't steered me wrong yet, and buying Criterion movies makes me feel like I'm adding actual Good Cinema to my movie collection or some bullshit.

Incidentally I haven't seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy either, is it worth checking out?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Xenomrph posted:

Incidentally I haven't seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy either, is it worth checking out?

It's very good and the acting performances are out of this world. Some people had trouble following along (there are a lot of characters) but I personally didn't have any issues there.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Xenomrph posted:

It's a good movie, but if you're expecting a spy movie along the lines of James Bond or Bourne or really anything that even resembles excitement, boy howdy will you be disappointed.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, as has been said it is not the most exhilarating of movies in terms of action. But it's intricate, incredibly well filmed, with top notch performances from everyone in the cast. It's a slow burn because it's a lot about either sides in an precarious adversarial relationship waiting for the other to reveal itself or make a mistake. It was one of my favourites from that year.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Kind of what leokitty said, go into Tinker Tailor knowing it's going to command your attention. I wasn't watching close enough in the beginning and was lost the rest of the way through.

The Spy who Came in From the Cold is an easier watch.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is a masterpiece and one of the most criminally under-discussed films in the Criterion Collection.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If you wind up liking those movies you should go ahead and check out the novels they're based on. John Le Carre is the master of writing soul crushing spy fiction.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Tinker Tailor is fantastic - see the film, then watch the TV show. The film is definitely a bit dense but the emotional high I got during the final montage was totally worth it. Also, it's directed by Tomas Alfredson (see also Let The Right One In) so it's incredibly pretty.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Seems like Costco is carrying a new selection of Criterion discs; mine had the Wes Anderson movies, two lane blacktop, Frances ha, seven samurai and on the waterfront. No real deep cuts but a decent selection for 20 each.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

If you want Godzilla for 20 bucks Walmart has them.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Cloks posted:

Seems like Costco is carrying a new selection of Criterion discs; mine had the Wes Anderson movies, two lane blacktop, Frances ha, seven samurai and on the waterfront. No real deep cuts but a decent selection for 20 each.

Every one of you mother fuckers go out and buy Two-Lane Blacktop right now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Really, any of those movies are a great blind buy. No doubt they didn't want to take too many risks with printing a ton of obscure things for Costco.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
If Seven Samurai is $20 that's a >50% discount as it's normally $50, can't imagine it'll ever be cheaper than that new.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Every one of you mother fuckers go out and buy Two-Lane Blacktop right now.

Why must I go and do that? I've always heard how great the film is but it always stops there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

leokitty posted:

If Seven Samurai is $20 that's a >50% discount as it's normally $50, can't imagine it'll ever be cheaper than that new.

Got it for 14.99 due to Xmas sale last Christmas at my local HMV. Brand spankin' new. But those are extenuating circumstances.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I've never seen a WalMart with criterions.

Do they carry them now?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

friendo55 posted:

Why must I go and do that? I've always heard how great the film is but it always stops there.

I own Two-Lane Blacktop and really enjoy it, and I still don't know why you must go buy it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DevCore posted:

I've never seen a WalMart with criterions.

Do they carry them now?

I've seen Rosemary's Baby and a few Wes Anderson movies at my local Wal-Mart. Can't remember seeing any other Criterions there.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Way back in the day, I bought Chasing Amy's Criterion at Wal-Mart.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hewlett posted:

Way back in the day, I bought Chasing Amy's Criterion at Wal-Mart.

Oh yeah, about a year ago, I picked that up in the $5 bin. No booklet though. It and Benjamin Button are the only two I've ever gotten that didn't have a booklet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

friendo55 posted:

Warren Oates, cool cars, wonderfully aimless road story.