Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

The Stygian posted:

Some beautiful gear in here :)

Just picked up today my new axe - one I've wanted since I started playing, ... 8 months? ago.

Congratulations on your present dream guitar! Let us know when you GAS for another one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Agreed posted:

Elektra Phoenix.

I love that body style (Natural wood with the "racing stripe" look)

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

This bad boy arrived in the post today:

Very cool, distinctive sounds. I feel like it was a bargain at £51, too :cool:

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkDAnTBiDoA

Computer Jones fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 25, 2009

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Hubis posted:

the proper nomenclature is 'hippie sandwich'

Meow
Dec 31, 2004

Click here for the full 674x700 image.

Just got this in the mail yesterday. I bought it blind and couldn't be happier with it.

First thing I did was dime the sustain and the double-back setting, and it sounds ridiculous: despite the stupid level of compressed squish, your initial string attack still bites like guitar. It's unholy.

Plus the volume knob can overdrive your amp. :3:

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Picked up a Tascam US-1641 usb audio interface the other day. 8 XLR ins, 6 line ins, 4 line outs. I had to get a new interface since the macbook doesn't have firewire, and I caught a good deal on this.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
I got me some blobs!

Yes, ok that's Melodyne. I know some people here will hate pitch correction software no matter what, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm not a great singer (just LOOK at those blobs up there) and it's really great to do creative stuff with as well.

I just can't wait for DNA.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Uintathere posted:

Yes, ok that's Melodyne. I know some people here will hate pitch correction software no matter what, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm not a great singer (just LOOK at those blobs up there) and it's really great to do creative stuff with as well.

I think it's fun. I use it to make a robotic GLADOS voice for a radio show that I do.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hubis posted:

Yeah, me too. I'm actually looking out for a Peavey T-60 right now because I love how the ugly bastard looks. Something about this look (I call it the "station wagon" appearance) does it for me, haha.

This thing is a killer guitar, Japan makes great instruments.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

PenguinBob posted:

I think it's fun. I use it to make a robotic GLADOS voice for a radio show that I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNViLEj3ur0

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

So I needed another compressor for my physical setup (I keep the BBE Orange Squash, about which I can say only awesome things by the way, in front of whatever audio interface I'm using with my digital modelers). With the good BBE comp experience under my belt and after reading quite a few good reviews, I went in to a local music shop today completely prepared to buy the BBE Opto-Stomp they had in there, but it did absolutely nothing for me. Depending on its adjustment it either might as well not have been on or it was squashing the crap out of my signal. No good.

I got home and poked around, ended up deciding I'd go with either the Diamond Compressor or the Barber Tone Press. Well, after today's mediocre experience with the BBE opto-comp (which, like the Diamond, uses a Vactrol isolated optical assembly) and given how much I love the Dirty Bomb I got from Barber not long ago, I figured I'd call Barber Electronics and ask them some questions to feel out their compressor. I liked what I heard so I browsed to PedalGeek.com and bought it (Barber's experiencing 3-7 week lead times right now because of the unprecedented success of their pedals; they make what can surely be considered rightfully boutique-quality gear, original designs, extremely well made, and for very reasonable prices, which is apparently a dynamite recipe for success in an economic slowdown).

I'll let you guys know when it gets in and record some clips, it's supposed to be one of the best compressors around. The first guitar pedal to offer parallel compression, certainly, though since then others have gotten in on the game (it allows you to preserve your pick attack even when applying a great deal of compression). It has an internal "Color" adjustment which sounds a lot like an attack knob to me, changes it from vintage squishy compression to modern and quick depending on how it's set). Barber has a great reputation and this compressor, in particular, is one of their most popular and well loved products, so I imagine I'll be getting good use out of it. We'll see.

I'd still like to try the Diamond Comp at some point, it's extremely well respected and is supposed to have a very "studio" sound, it certainly has a much more complex circuit topology than the BBE unit did. I'm not throwing out the Diamond forever because I wasn't impressed with the BBE or anything, just going with a more conventionally styled guitar compressor for the time being with a feature set I think I will get along with well.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 24, 2009

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Managed to pick up my 3rd guitar within just over a month.

An Epi SG 3 pickup model.

I got her for £120 shipped, even if i dont like it, i can at least turn it around and sell at a small profit. How does the pickup selection work on this thing anyway? Could i have all 3 humbuckers on at once? Even if it was possible switching wise, wouldnt the 3rd humbucker cancel itself out due to the other pups?

Still need a amp head mind :(

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Bart Reiter Standard:

Woop!

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Computer Jones posted:

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkDAnTBiDoA

TX7s are rad, mine is probably my favourite synth even though it's a pain to use. Email me (ortazel@gmail.com) if you need patches etc- I have tons, including some cool glitchy ones that you can't emulate in FM7/8. If you're controlling it with a Micron then I suggest assigning three controllers to aftertouch, expression pedal and breath controller- just about all of the awesome sounding original Yamaha patches are designed with the DX7 in mind, and use these parameters to add a bit more tweak-ability to the sound.

Here's a cool track I did a while back which was recorded straight from the TX7 in one take.
http://tindeck.com/listen/dnwr

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 25, 2009

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Asomodai posted:

I got her for £120 shipped, even if i dont like it, i can at least turn it around and sell at a small profit. How does the pickup selection work on this thing anyway? Could i have all 3 humbuckers on at once? Even if it was possible switching wise, wouldnt the 3rd humbucker cancel itself out due to the other pups?

Still need a amp head mind :(

From a review I've just read, it seems the pickup selector switch is still 3-way, Treble=bridge and Rhythm=neck but the middle one engages all three.

Also three volume knobs so in theory you could get any combination you want.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I just picked up a used Yamaha SPX90 for 110 dollars tonight. Unfortunately, I don't have the manual as the previous owner said he couldn't find it. I was messing with it and it doesn't seem too hard to use.

I wonder if I could sell my AC15 to buy an AC30?

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 25, 2009

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

I'd be all over the black body tele with the maple neck. Telecasters can be monster high-gain guitars, make that slab body out of mahogany and use good pickups and you're ready to rock. That price isn't even really all that outrageous if it's an American instrument, less than an American Deluxe isn't it?

You know what's even easier?

Just get a warmoth neck in maple with the 59 roundback profile. hoof. My tele weighs more than my les paul. Feels lighter while playing it though, strangely. I think it's balanced really well because a lot of the extra wood in the neck is towards the heel and I'm using a shorter scale length. The body i'm using is a highway one body.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just put on the new pickguard, trem and jack cover.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysYntEcyxsI&feature=related

Sunesis
Apr 17, 2003

RANPHA IS MAD LOL

Ortazel posted:

TX7

Mind if i contact you too? ive got one, and can program it somewhat, but would love to talk to an expert. :)

To the guy wanted to buy gear...

Samson Studio Mons are pretty good. If you can afford it, go ribbon, but even their softdome stuff is pretty good.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Samson--Active_Monitors

I would think that pair of Yamaha's would be pretty rocking too.

As far as USB/Firewire interfaces go, Tascam are good, and i also like the Edirols in your price range.

As for keyboards, grab something second hand with midi. Save a bunch of cash for your monitors and interface.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Ortazel posted:

TX7s are rad, mine is probably my favourite synth even though it's a pain to use. Email me (ortazel@gmail.com) if you need patches etc- I have tons, including some cool glitchy ones that you can't emulate in FM7/8. If you're controlling it with a Micron then I suggest assigning three controllers to aftertouch, expression pedal and breath controller- just about all of the awesome sounding original Yamaha patches are designed with the DX7 in mind, and use these parameters to add a bit more tweak-ability to the sound.

Here's a cool track I did a while back which was recorded straight from the TX7 in one take.

Cool, thanks. Maybe I'll email you later when I have sysex software sorted out.

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Just put on the new pickguard, trem and jack cover.

That looks fantastic. Where did you pick those up?

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
My custom guitar body and neck arrived the other day. It's gonna be a sweet jazz box. Maple back with rosewood top on the body, neck, and headstock.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

shuriken posted:

That looks fantastic. Where did you pick those up?

Wired pickguard, MIM style black trem, and the football jack cover from Guitar Fetish. Only problem was that the routing in the body was a little snug and I cracked the PCB on the neck tone pot. I'll have to redo that, but everything else is great. The pickguard was a little scratched, but it's black, that happens.

Now all I need is 225 dollars for some seymour duncans.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Nelsocracy posted:

My custom guitar body and neck arrived the other day. It's gonna be a sweet jazz box. Maple back with rosewood top on the body, neck, and headstock.

Dear sweet lord, that is beautiful. How much did it set you back?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I swear to science if you paint that rosewood.

Cybbe
Mar 3, 2009
I just bought these thingies. I'm extremely excited, hope I'll get something out of it :)

Click here for the full 800x531 image.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Dear sweet lord, that is beautiful. How much did it set you back?

Thanks man. Neck and body with a tune-omatic bridge and all the parts required excluding tuners and pickups ran me about 1300 USD. I'm waiting for the pickups I ordered, Vintage Vibe humbucker sized Charlie Christians.

Also there's no way in hell I'm putting a dot of paint on it.

Nelsocracy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 26, 2009

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just out of curiosity, why did you only go with two knobs instead of four?

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
I wanted a really natural look with as little add-ons as possible, hence the pure wood look and no fretboard inlays. The knobs I have are concentric (two in one) so each knob will operate both the tone and volume of one of the pickups.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
It's finally here! My 1959 SLP clone. hand wired, Marstran Transformers, Sozo Caps, NOS Preamp tubes.

Got it yesterday and so far I've only had it on two, but you can feel the power it puts out. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of hearing it wide open (well, on about 7-8) and it sounds awsome, it's scary but so much fun. It takes pedals really well too.

Though to save me from exploding my speakers I really need either a second 2x12 or a Hot Plate (or both).

qball fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 26, 2009

tommej
Apr 18, 2007

by Fistgrrl

qball posted:

It's finally here! My 1959 SLP clone. hand wired, Marstran Transformers, Sozo Caps, NOS Preamp tubes.

Got it yesterday and so far I've only had it on two, but you can feel the power it puts out. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of hearing it wide open (well, on about 7-8) and it sounds awsome, it's scary but so much fun. It takes pedals really well too.

Though to save me from exploding my speakers I really need either a second 2x12 or a Hot Plate (or both).

:swoon:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Ortazel posted:

Please post a thread if you have more. This is some nice stuff -- you've got me hunting for a TX7 on ebay now.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Computer Jones posted:

Congrats! You already picked up the Hypra Rom soundset I've posted here?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Yoozer posted:

Congrats! You already picked up the Hypra Rom soundset I've posted here?

I actually downloaded it when you first posted it and it's been sitting on my HD all this time. Thanks for reminding me :)

EmuOfFury
Oct 7, 2004

I could stare at you forever.
Not nearly enough brass in this thread.

Getzen 3850 Bb cornet. Valves are amazing, and the tone is fantastic. Plus it looks cool as hell.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

EmuOfFury posted:

badass trumpet

That's sweet as all hell. I never learned to play trumpet, but I learned the basics of French horn for a little bit. Would it be much of a jump to learn that? Obviously I'm not going to be good, but could I learn to hold a note with a few minutes of adjustment?

EmuOfFury
Oct 7, 2004

I could stare at you forever.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

That's sweet as all hell. I never learned to play trumpet, but I learned the basics of French horn for a little bit. Would it be much of a jump to learn that? Obviously I'm not going to be good, but could I learn to hold a note with a few minutes of adjustment?

I've never played a French horn but from what I understand it's one of the more difficult brass instruments to play, so if you were able to figure out the horn you shouldn't have too much trouble with a trumpet.

I was able to pick up a baritone and play it decently right away using my cornet experience. I'm not sure if that's a good analogue for horn - trumpet, but I imagine once you can make a sound on a brass instrument it becomes much easier to make a sound on another brass instrument.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

EmuOfFury posted:

Sweet horn.

This makes me so nostalgic for my trumpet. I broke it several years ago and haven't replaced it. I still need to buy one so that I can pick it back up. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I've decided, for the moment, that I'm going to buy the Carvin V3 Halfstack with Vintage 30s as my next amp, as soon as I'm done buying parts for the new computer (monitors, an additional hard drive, etc.).

Come on, August! :smith: