Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

OilSlick posted:

From what I understand about the sequel, if you aren't too :stare: after the opening cutscene, then there's a decent game there with some decent game mechanics. Myself I couldn't stomach more than 20 minutes. Seriously, unless your tolerance level for annoying anime-style voice acting is unlimited, I can pretty much guarantee this game will cross your "Oh God turn it off!" threshold.

What's "anime-style voice acting"? And I'm pretty sure if you're able to suffer through X's horrible cutscenes and voice acting then X-2's should be no sweat, especially since it has scene skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
X-2 also has a fantastic sense of investigative story progression that rewards exploration with not only loot but a rolling side story that's actually pretty darn good. Niche aesthetic aside, the game is pretty boss and worth playing.

Make sure you actually play around with the dress spheres though, there is a way to win every battle by spamming gunners but that's just not fun at all, my party at the time i stopped playing was an alchemist, lady luck and beserker and we were tidying up nicely. Alchemists make great healer/attackers generally.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
What about Dead Space 2? I'm very familiar with the first game, but what's different? Do I still need to have one power cell on hand at all times? Is the flamethrower still poo poo?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

kiffkin posted:

RE: Nier

If you get lost on the main storyline, look at the map (even if you don't have a map of the area) and follow the red X. There's one point in particular that a lot of people get stuck at - it involves fishing - as it's very easy to go to the wrong place.
This reminds me: gently caress fishing. Seriously, just don't even bother with it unless you hate your pristine, uncut wrists.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I doubt the people who email me in the future will see this post, but just in case: If you want to contribute to the wiki, and email me for the password, if you could post in this thread as well so I know it's a member of Something Awful.

I probably shouldn't be that worried about vandalism, but better safe than sorry.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

duckfarts posted:

This reminds me: gently caress fishing. Seriously, just don't even bother with it unless you hate your pristine, uncut wrists.

A sure sign that someone was terrible at it. Fishing is pathetically easy. You turn the camera to the side, wait for the line to take a big dip (usually on the second dip), pull the control stick back, and then just tilt it the same way Nier is leaning as he pulls in the fish.

Mind you, I will admit the in-game explanation is absolutely terrible and anyone going off of that will definitely hate it.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Any thing I should know about Diablo 2? Never played it, but I'm about to.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

standardtoaster posted:

clickclickclickclickclickclickclick

There's a ton of information about character builds in Diablo 2 out there. I'd suggest checking out a few builds of whatever character you're interested in making just so that you don't dump points into skills that aren't very useful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

What about Dead Space 2? I'm very familiar with the first game, but what's different? Do I still need to have one power cell on hand at all times? Is the flamethrower still poo poo?

Nope, you've got everything down pretty much. Dead space 2 is pretty much the most traditional sequel you will experience. Everything that was true in 1 is true in 2.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

standardtoaster posted:

There's no point drowning you in info when you're just starting, as most of the builds and whatnot don't even become relevant until you beat the game on Normal (although since you can't respec in vanilla D2--I am unsure if they changed this in any updates--you might want to consider how seriously you plan on playing the game). So here's some stuff I wish I had done on my first run-through:

- Save your gems and runes! In the second act, you'll get a container which will let you combine multiple items of the same quality (so, for instance, three chipped rubies) to make one item of the next higher quality (so one flawed ruby). There are all sorts of combinations, most involving items like runes, gems, potions, arrows, bolts, rings and amulets. So hang on to those things until at least act 2 instead of selling them for a pittance or wasting them by socketing them into weapons.

- You can (and should) replay certain areas and fights early on to grind for money, items and experience. In particular, the Countess fight in Act 1 is extremely lucrative and also very easy and fast to repeat. The same goes for the Return to Tristram in the same act, and the Arcane Sanctuary in Act 2.

- When you hit Act 2, you will want to have some decent resistances to lightning, otherwise you will get absolutely hosed when you leave town for the first time. Along the same lines, you want poison resistance for Act 3 (and the boss battle in Act 1, actually), and fire resistance for Act 4. Oh, and stock up on thawing potions and cold resistance items before the boss battle in Act 2.

- Gambling is usually a bad idea, unless you're really desperate for a magic item of a particular type (like ring, amulet, helmet, gloves, etc.). Even then, you'll usually wind up with an item that's way weaker than whatever else you own, and which no doubt cost upwards of 5-10 times what a regular version of the item would cost. Still, when you're loaded with cash it's sometimes worth playing for rings and amulets as you never quite know what you might find useful.

- About midway through Act 1, you'll run into a quest reward which will let you imbue a non-magical item with magical properties. You can do this right away, or you can leave it for as long as you like. When playing the game on normal, it's often suggested that you leave the imbuing reward alone until you hit Act 4 (or 5, with the expansion) and then bring an extremely high-level, high-quality non-magical item to get imbued, instead of wasting the one-time-only reward on a cracked sash or leather cap.

Jolo posted:

clickclickclickclickclickclickclick

But yeah, a lotta this, too.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 11, 2011

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Oh! Another one. Going waaaaay back. Ultima VII. I bought the complete Ultima collection (I say complete, it was apparently made before IX came out) at a car boot sale for £2 several years ago, because for that price I'd be daft not to, but never played them. A feature in PC Gamer has made me want to give it a go, VII being apparently the best one. Apart from using the source port (Exult, I think?) is there anything I need to know?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Astfgl posted:

although since you can't respec in vanilla D2
It was indeed changed a few version numbers back. Akara now also rewards you with a single skill/stat point reset (per difficulty) for finishing Den of Evil.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dr Snofeld posted:

car boot sale
£2
daft
give it a go

Not having ever played an Ultima game, and the game being made to run on computers in 1992, you may have a hard time getting into it (though I think you are right that Exult, which I think is the name, is the agreed-upon way to play it). Another note on the subject--combat is basically so fast-paced that you have no idea what is going on--no, that is not a factor of playing it on a modern computer or anything. Never has combat played a smaller role in any role-playing game. Not to say that there are not many combats, but they all end about as soon as they begin, with the exceptions of a few big fights against super-tough things.

It is a big game. You might actually get lost. You should have the map of the game world handy, as you can go anywhere (once you finish enough of the quest to leave the opening town of Trinsic, that is), and it is not necessarily easy to know where you are.

I am not sure if you should know about the blatant-cheat-room before playing or only learn about that if you are having such a hard time that you are about to give up.

Come to think of it, games that just blindly include a map because that is "what role-playing games do" missed the point that maps that serve an actual function are a lot more valuable than maps that just add to ambiance.

This game is also from the "you actually have to talk to everyone and pay attention to what they say or write it down" era of games; there is no auto-journal feature or anything, and while you can usually talk to the same person again and get the same information, there is a chance that you will suddenly end up with no clue what to do if you have not been paying attention.

Surely there are other things that fellow oldschool Ultima-fanatics can add. I will also add finally that I genuinely believe Ultima VI is the best game in the series, and honestly feel like its art style is superior (even though the graphics are more advanced in VII). I also think VI has the best turn-based combat of any game ever (yes, even moreso than Fallout--eat it!).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Polite Tim posted:

Just picked up Bayonetta, started on normal and have done the first two verses, anything i should know before i proceed other than to get a RSI wrist brace?

In the shop where you buy new moves, it would be prudent to leave one move unbought as afaik it is the only place where you can get the little tutorial area WITH enemies in it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

gigglefeimer posted:

What's "anime-style voice acting"?

Godawful. :v:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Oh! Another one. Going waaaaay back. Ultima VII. I bought the complete Ultima collection (I say complete, it was apparently made before IX came out) at a car boot sale for £2 several years ago, because for that price I'd be daft not to, but never played them. A feature in PC Gamer has made me want to give it a go, VII being apparently the best one. Apart from using the source port (Exult, I think?) is there anything I need to know?

Yea, Exult is excellent and you should familiarize yourself with all its features because it will vastly improve your playing experience. A few of the most helpful things to note are that by pressing F2 you can pull up the cheat menu. In there you can enable Hackmover, which allows you to move anything in the game regardless of weight restrictions. You can abuse this of course, but its also just generally helpful for getting around the somewhat cumbersome inventory system. Also if you hit F3 you can bring up a map which will teleport you to wherever you click. This is extremely useful as a time saver, but its generally not wise to teleport somewhere without knowing whats there first. Also knowing the key bindings will save you a lot of time and frustration, and you can view them at any time in game. Concerning the game itself, if you wanna progress with the storyline, make sure you take note of anything anyone says that might in anyway be important. Also it's nice to have a map handy for quick reference as the in game map doesn't have any location markers. Really, there are tons of little secrets in U7 that would pretty much break the game wide open if you knew them beforehand. The fun part is figuring them out for yourself.

You may also be interested in checking out this hilarious and informative Let's Play: http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/Update%201/

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

gigglefeimer posted:

What's "anime-style voice acting"? And I'm pretty sure if you're able to suffer through X's horrible cutscenes and voice acting then X-2's should be no sweat, especially since it has scene skip.

No. FFX was pretty awful, but FFX-2 left me pretty much speechless. I thought "oh, I'm sure they probably had better voice acting in this one". Nope, they made it 10x worse. At least FFX had a relatively serious story behind it, whereas this one... I don't even know how to describe it. I've read a plot synopsis of it. It's basically a Final Fantasy chick-flick.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Volitaire posted:

Yea, Exult is excellent and you should familiarize yourself with all its features because it will vastly improve your playing experience. A few of the most helpful things to note are that by pressing F2 you can pull up the cheat menu. In there you can enable Hackmover, which allows you to move anything in the game regardless of weight restrictions. You can abuse this of course, but its also just generally helpful for getting around the somewhat cumbersome inventory system. Also if you hit F3 you can bring up a map which will teleport you to wherever you click. This is extremely useful as a time saver, but its generally not wise to teleport somewhere without knowing whats there first. Also knowing the key bindings will save you a lot of time and frustration, and you can view them at any time in game. Concerning the game itself, if you wanna progress with the storyline, make sure you take note of anything anyone says that might in anyway be important. Also it's nice to have a map handy for quick reference as the in game map doesn't have any location markers. Really, there are tons of little secrets in U7 that would pretty much break the game wide open if you knew them beforehand. The fun part is figuring them out for yourself.

You may also be interested in checking out this hilarious and informative Let's Play: http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/Update%201/

I've taken at least eight pages of notes in the in-game journal already and I've just left the first town. I think I'm going to enjoy this game. I'm making an effort to not steal everything that isn't nailed down like in, say, Morrowind. I am the Avatar, after all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

gigglefeimer posted:

Just to give you an idea of what to expect, there's an entire mission early game to get a bunch of monkeys to gently caress each other while Riku, Yuna, and Payne comment on it. I'm not even exaggerating.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

al-azad posted:

Just to give you an idea of what to expect, there's an entire mission early game to get a bunch of monkeys to gently caress each other while Riku, Yuna, and Payne comment on it. I'm not even exaggerating.

I thought that sidequest was pretty cute myself :3: And I love Zanarkand's music.

A little more on-topic, anyone deciding to play FFX-2 absolutely should not stress out about getting 100% story points. It's really not that big of a deal. Too many people let their OCD get the better of them and lessen their enjoyment of the game.

Lord Nelson
Jan 11, 2006
I just purchased Empire: Total War- I played Rome and Medieval II before- any hints or tips that I should know?

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

OilSlick posted:

No. FFX was pretty awful, but FFX-2 left me pretty much speechless. I thought "oh, I'm sure they probably had better voice acting in this one". Nope, they made it 10x worse. At least FFX had a relatively serious story behind it, whereas this one... I don't even know how to describe it. I've read a plot synopsis of it. It's basically a Final Fantasy chick-flick.

I know almost nothing about the FF series so I don't have other installments to compare it to, but I'm having a lot of fun with FFX. The cut scenes are a little too long and frequent and the Sphere Grid baffling, but the battle system is fun and the story is ok as far as video game stories go.
How hard would FF Tactics be for a dullard like myself? I've heard nothing but praise for the game but am a little wary as it looks kinda complex.

Marcsism
Mar 17, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

The flamethrower is actually decent in this one, especially when fully upgraded. Kinesis and stasis play a much larger role in gameplay; stasis recharges over time now too. Air still doesn't matter, don't waste any nodes on it.

Keep one node with you at all times because the node doors are back and pay off very well (including multiple schematics). The only node door that isn't worthwhile to spend the node on is in Chapter 10.

Here's one most people (including me) didn't realize at first: there's a new projectile enemy that will shoot you long-distance with an attack that slows you down dramatically. You can one-shot them on most difficulties by catching the projectile with kinesis and throwing it back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

I know almost nothing about the FF series so I don't have other installments to compare it to, but I'm having a lot of fun with FFX. The cut scenes are a little too long and frequent and the Sphere Grid baffling, but the battle system is fun and the story is ok as far as video game stories go.
How hard would FF Tactics be for a dullard like myself? I've heard nothing but praise for the game but am a little wary as it looks kinda complex.

It is pretty complex and difficult especially if you've never played the type of game before. That said, I think the story (War of the Lions) is one of the greatest in the medium. It starts to delve into the cliche "religion sucks, kill god" plot lines Japanese RPGs are known for late game but that's only 5% of the entire package.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Depends. Abilities are generally far more important than raw levels(though grinding abilities gets you levels); how do you feel about that?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PlasticPaddy posted:

FFTactics is pretty complex, yes, but if you can manage to get into it, it's easily my favorite game with FF in the title.

If you play it, just try to remember one thing: At one point, the game will have you go to a place called Riovanes Castle. For the love of God, don't overwrite your only save once you're inside it - make a new one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Hajile posted:

FFTactics is pretty complex, yes, but if you can manage to get into it, it's easily my favorite game with FF in the title.

If you play it, just try to remember one thing: At one point, the game will have you go to a place called Riovanes Castle. For the love of God, don't overwrite your only save once you're inside it - make a new one.

This goes for every castle, really. Whether it's a boss that can inflict every status effect on you or two ninja chicks that can kill a character instantly 100%, castle fights suck.

Asdity
May 4, 2010

THETANS

Lord Nelson posted:

I just purchased Empire: Total War- I played Rome and Medieval II before- any hints or tips that I should know?

Very little has actually changed in combat, engage with infantry, flank with cavalry and make giant holes in enemy lines with artillery.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

PlasticPaddy posted:

Well, if you're enjoying FFX, I'm sure you'll enjoy the others. What made FF7 so good was the multitude of minigames that broke up the constant random encounters and kept things fresh. FFX put their entire minigame budget into Blitzball. It's good and all, but that's it. After that it's pretty much walk down a long path, go to a town, do some puzzle temple thing, and repeat until the game is over. I found the game a bit short for a FF as well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

al-azad posted:

This goes for every castle, really. Whether it's a boss that can inflict every status effect on you or two ninja chicks that can kill a character instantly 100%, castle fights suck.
Castle fights are supposed to be hard as hell since it is their main base. I tried to Ninja my way through such battles and break their stats, which made it easier. It didn't help I avoided everything people do to break the game, but enemies have so little spread on their skills.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

standardtoaster posted:

The newest patch for the game gives you a couple free respecs, which is nice since you can mess around with skills without having to worry too much. Once you hit a wall, use the respec, and look up some popular builds to figure out how to min-max your character and turn him/her into a damage machine. Builds usually revolve around using 1 or 2 good skills and just powering those up by maxing them with skill points, and then maxing their synergy skills afterwards which give +% boosts in damage/effectiveness.

A small rundown on characters:

- The Paladin, in my opinion, is the easiest and most lenient character to start with, and he can become pretty danagerous later in the game when you specialize him. His gimmick is using auras which boost damage, add different effects, and do other things for himself and his party members while using a beefed up attack skill to kill enemies. He can only equip 1 aura at a time though, so it's best to focus on a single aura you like. He has plenty of good skills, but the ones that stand out and which are usually the focus of popular builds are Charge, Zeal, Holy Shield (every build uses this), and Blessed Hammer. His most used auras are usually Concentration, Fanatism, Holy Freeze, and Conviction.

- The Necromancer is the game's main debuffer; he has an entire skill tree of curse skills which he can use to seriously gently caress over enemies, after which he can use either poison/magic spells or a miniature army of minions to kill everything. Usually adding points to curses will only increase the curse AoE circle, which isn't really an advantage since you can spam cast them. The only exceptions might be Dim Vision and Confusion, which benefit greatly from the range boost since they're aimed at incapacitating monsters as quickly and as far away as possible. Since most of the necro's offensive spells are mana-hogs, it's usually recommended to focus on summons to kill things. His favorite skills are Amp Damage (for monsters), Decrepify (for bosses), Dim Vision (incapacitates monsters), Summon Skeleton, Skeleton Mastery, Clay Golem (tank), Corpse Explosion (One of the best gently caress-You skills in the game), Poison Nova, Bone Spear, Bone Spirit, and Bone Armor.

- The Amazon is the main ranged physical damage dealer in the game. She'll usually throw javelins or shoot arrows at enemies. She does have lance skills but they're not very impressive so don't bother unless you get a really nice spear or something, I never tried using them to be honest. She'll make use of passive skills that buff up her survivability, and she also gets a few debuffs but they're not all that worthwhile save maybe for slow missiles. Iirc her favorite skills are Lightning Fury (javelin), then multiple shot, guided arrow, and strafe (bow skills), and Valkirie (tank) and any other passive that seems useful.

- The Sorceress is the main offensive spellcaster of the game. She lobs magic poo poo at enemies, either fire, ice, or lightning. Most builds focus on a skill from a single element to allow her to wreck enemies, but a couple of other builds will use 2 skills from different elements to get past enemies that might be highly resistant to a specific one. She also gets a nice passive skill, Warmth, which helps her regenerate mana. Some cool skills are Teleport (1 point), Fireball, Meteor, Blizzard, Frozen orb, and Lightning.

- The Barbarian is the brute-force of the game. He screams at enemies/party members to buff or debuff and damage them or whatever. His main focus will lie in combat skills and also in his numerous passive skills which will help him along as he beats the tar out of monsters. His favorite methods of killing are Concentrate, Frenzy, Wirlwind, and Berzerk. His favorite shoutouts are Battle Orders and Battle Command (only need 1 point in Command though). As for masteries, it will depend on your weapon of choice, but after that everything except the stamina skill are useful.

Expansion characters:

- The Druid is the furry of the game. Ok, ok, in all seriousness he's a Jack-of-all-trades. He gets a branch of skills that deals in summons, another branch that deals in shapeshifting and lycanthrope form attacks, and then a branch that contains a bunch of wacky elemental spells. Honestly I don't know what his good skills are because I never play this guy seriously, but unless you focus on one particularly good skill/gimmick he hits a brick wall very fast. One thing to keep in mind is that summons will work well with either elemental and shapeshifting skills, but since you can't use elemental skills in animal form you might want to consider focussing on either elemental or shapes.

- The Assassin is also a jack-of-all-trades, but with emphasis on debuffs/buffs/passives, melee, and placeable turrets that zap or burn enemies. She's actually really fun to play and is very versatile and forgiving. In melee, she uses claws to gather up charges with a certain melee skill, then uses a finishing move skill to unleash the charges on enemies. As a caster, she can place invulnerable turrets which cast a number of damage spells for her while she hids somewhere safely or beats up on the enemies. Her ninja skills of choice are usually Tiger Strike, Dragon Talon, Dragon Flight (limited teleport), any other elemental claw skill you fancy, Burst of Speed, Cloak of Shadows, Fade, Shadow Warrior, Fire Blast (don't knock it til you try it), Lightning sentry, and Death sentry.

Final notes

- When distributing stat points, you should put enough points in strength and dexterity to equip whatever item you need. Then, dump every other points in Vitality to boost your health. NEVER put points in energy, mana becomes a non-issue later and mana potions can easily remedy any mana problem you might have in the beginning.

- Magic Find % items will help you find not only magic items, but Rare, Set, and Unique items as well. So hang on to whatever magic finding item you come accross since they'll come in handy when repeating dungeons. Look for magic find boots/gloves regularly on vendors, they'll sell them from time to time.

- To make a lot of cash fast, sell staffs/wands/scepters with +skills on them, normal/magic/rare high defense body armor you don't need like ring mails and breast plates, and crystal swords. You'll need money to gamble for circlets/amulets VVV

- Gambling is all-around useless until you hit level 15, which is when Circlets will start popping up in the gambling inventory. I recommend waiting until level 20 to start gambling for these, or even level 30. Circlets are hats that can come with +skill tree (level 15 for +1 skills, level 30 for +2 skills) or +all skills (level 36+) on them, as well as some pretty ridiculous mods on top of that like +% damage and +all res. These will be where a lot of your gold should be spent. The other chunk of your gold will be spent gambling for amulets a good ways later on, in the hopes of getting +skills amulets with beneficial stats like faster cast rate or +all resistances.

- Mercenaries all come with their own advantages, but the de-facto merc is usually the act 2 merc which comes with auras. Hiring a Combat merc gives you a health regen aura, the Offensive merc gives you an Attack Rating aura which helps if you have trouble hitting things, and the Defensive merc gives you a defense-boosting aura. The combat merc is the handiest of the bunch for starters. The auras from hired mercs in the next difficulty are different (and much much better), so you might want to check those out once you reach them.

Expansion
- Runes, when placed in socketed items in a certain order, will make Runewords which give extra stats to the items. Some runewords are low level and easy to make, and can provide a very good boost when you first start out. Runes aren't very common, but the Countess in act 1 will always drop 1-3 runes every time to kill her, so it's worth farming her. The tombs in the last part of act 2 also tend to drop a lot of runes on top of bing great places to hunt for items/experience. For more on runewords, see Original runewords section of http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords.shtml

Some nice runewords are Tal Eth in a 2 socket armor, Tir El in a 2 socket sword/axe/mace, Ith El Eth in a 3 socket weapon, drawback is it drains your health but not your mercs so he should use it, Nef Tir in a 2 socket hat, Tir Ral in a 2 socket staff for fire sorcs, and Ort Eth in bows (Ort will need to be made by combining 3 Ral runes, which countess can drop, or you can wait until act 5 where a quest gives you a free ort rune)

- Ethereal items are given a 50% base defense boost or 50% base damage boost, depending on whether it's armor or a weapon. For you this might seem useless since ethereal items can't be repaired. But, mercenaries don't use up item durability, so you can give them very powerful ethereal equipment without worry. You can take it a step further by putting runewords in ethereal items with sockets to make some pretty impressive gear. The first thing I do once I hit Act 2 is to get a mercenary there, which uses spears and polearms, then try to find a 3 socket ethereal polearm and put the previously mentioned Ith El Eth runeword in it. Suddenly my merc is doing 100 base damage and insta-gibbing most monsters in act 2, not too shabby.

Sorry for the :words:, hope this helps!

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 12, 2011

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
In lieu of the Steam sale: Anything for Medieval Total War 2? Do I need the Kingdoms expansion? Which mods are recommended?

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

OilSlick posted:

Well, if you're enjoying FFX, I'm sure you'll enjoy the others. What made FF7 so good was the multitude of minigames that broke up the constant random encounters and kept things fresh. FFX put their entire minigame budget into Blitzball. It's good and all, but that's it. After that it's pretty much walk down a long path, go to a town, do some puzzle temple thing, and repeat until the game is over. I found the game a bit short for a FF as well.

Well, I was enjoying this game until blitzball happened. I dunno, maybe I just don't get it, but it seems so boring and unintuitive. Is there any instances in the game where you have to win a game? If so I might shelve this thing right now.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

Well, I was enjoying this game until blitzball happened. I dunno, maybe I just don't get it, but it seems so boring and unintuitive. Is there any instances in the game where you have to win a game? If so I might shelve this thing right now.

The match in Luca is the only mandatory Blitzball game in FFX. Blitzball is the only way to get Wakka's Overdrives and best weapon but they're not essential. You can safely ignore it from Luca onward.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PlasticPaddy posted:

You never, ever have to win a game. If you want Wakka's ultimate weapon you'll need to win a tourney. Keep in mind you'll eventually unlock a special shot for Tidus called "Jecht Shot 2" which is a free goal, and by the end game you'll be able to recruit totally broken players. It should basically become impossible to lose later on.

Hanton
Apr 14, 2007
You wanna piece?

Office Thug posted:

Sorry for the :words:, hope this helps!

I don't even care about diablo but the dedication you made to that post was so sensual. You're a good man. You're a good... good man :negative:

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Barudak posted:

You never, ever have to win a game. If you want Wakka's ultimate weapon you'll need to win a tourney. Keep in mind you'll eventually unlock a special shot for Tidus called "Jecht Shot 2" which is a free goal, and by the end game you'll be able to recruit totally broken players. It should basically become impossible to lose later on.

Dr Snofeld posted:

The match in Luca is the only mandatory Blitzball game in FFX. Blitzball is the only way to get Wakka's Overdrives and best weapon but they're not essential. You can safely ignore it from Luca onward.

That makes me feel better :) At this point Wakka hasn't been terribly useful.
Speaking of that match in Luca,what happened afterward? Who was responsible for all those monsters attacking the crowd? I kinda zoned out there.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Just getting started on Resonance of Fate. I mostly want to know if there's any ridiculous arcane stuff I need to do in order to get any special endings/gear/whatever. It's pretty straightforward so far, but thinking back to Valkyrie Profile makes me worry I may miss something big (or small but important). I'm not a huge completionist but I don't want to miss anything too gnarly.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

PlasticPaddy posted:

That makes me feel better :) At this point Wakka hasn't been terribly useful.
Speaking of that match in Luca,what happened afterward? Who was responsible for all those monsters attacking the crowd? I kinda zoned out there.

I think it's implied that Seymour summoned the monsters so he could personally exterminate them and "save the day" to gain public support for his evil plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Fumaofthelake posted:

Just getting started on Resonance of Fate.

Same here, but in addition to that question I'd also like to know some combat tips and what to spend my money on