Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm glad to hear somebody say this; when I first read "The Zeppelin in Combat" a few years ago, this picture blew my mind for the same reasons.

:stare:

Also: they copied an aircraft that's, what, 30 years old?

Here's a question: what do you think are this thread's favorite aircraft? I think I have the first three figured out:

1. SR-71
2. A-10
3. B-17

Isn't that the plane that collided with a Chinese fighter many moons ago and made an emergency landing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

I wouldn't call it a copy, to be honest; more a case of convergent evolution. The requirements that the Chinese have for a carrier-based AEW aircraft are likely very similar to those that drove the design of the E-2...it would make sense that the end result would be very similar (even though the aircraft in question here is a testbed and not the final product). After all, there are only a few shapes in aviation that are optimal given a set of performance criteria; it should come as no surprise that aircraft filling similar roles end up looking the same.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Isn't that the plane that collided with a Chinese fighter many moons ago and made an emergency landing?

No, the Hainan Island plane was a P-3 Orion. Modified off a Lockheed Electra turbo passenger plane from the 60's.

The E-2 is modified off a the Grumman C-2 purpose built carrier-capable transport...also from the 60's.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So this showed up on my Facebook feed this morning, posted by the Thunder Over Michigan Facebook group:

The caption was, "Look who just flew in!"

They've been doing it all week, tempting me with teaser shots of B-25s parked on the flight line, or P-38s flying in over the airfield. The Kid and I are so ready.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Here's a question: what do you think are this thread's favorite aircraft? I think I have the first three figured out:

1. SR-71
2. A-10
3. B-17
Camel, Spitfire, Wellington, Lancaster, Lightning, Harrier, Tornado, Vulcan, TSR/2.

Not that there's a trend in my thinking.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

InitialDave posted:

Camel, Spitfire, Wellington, Lancaster, Lightning, Harrier, Tornado, Vulcan, TSR/2.

Nah you're just reading the thread from the wrong timezone.

(I love all those planes too)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

More like 50.

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot
Just stood out side of my house and watched the Thunderbirds practicing for this weekends air show, I love the sound of jets flying at tree level over my house. I hope to get get out there this weekend to get some photos.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Commanche pics from the museum at Fort Rucker for those interested (not mine):

http://imgur.com/a/lbvOk

Upon further inspection I noticed the wheels are flat now :(

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Speaking of old things, and helicopters, the Chinook is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5DH2-kDLXk

source

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

hannibal posted:

Speaking of old things, and helicopters, the Chinook is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5DH2-kDLXk

source

Gotta love the power to weight ratio on an unloaded cargo transport. It's like bobtailing in the sky.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Nebakenezzer posted:

1. SR-71
2. A-10
3. B-17

An-225

I'm a sucker for RussianUkrainian planes.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Sudo Echo posted:

Gotta love the power to weight ratio on an unloaded cargo transport. It's like bobtailing in the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMwm9BJYh2I

Surely that's foreshortening or something, and they're not actually standing the thing on its nose. Though it would be the fastest way to get moving forward, and it is the USMC -- I have heard from several old soldiers that Marine aviators are loving suicidal lunatics tend to get a bit closer to the action than their Navy brothers in the same attack planes (one Vietnam veteran I know claims to have seen grass stains on the intakes of a Marine A-6 that helped him out once). Sure, it's partially interservice joking, but given the reputation of the USMC as a whole ...

Edit: Can't post about CH-53E performance without also posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0sRWCf9k4

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 3, 2012

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So this showed up on my Facebook feed this morning, posted by the Thunder Over Michigan Facebook group:

The caption was, "Look who just flew in!"

They've been doing it all week, tempting me with teaser shots of B-25s parked on the flight line, or P-38s flying in over the airfield. The Kid and I are so ready.

I will be there on Saturday!

If you see a chubby guy standing around with a girl that is totally out of his league you can come up and ask me if I have stairs in my house or something.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I live like 10 minutes from Thunder over Michigan, but I'm out of town :(

In Hawaii, tail end of RIMPAC, getting drunk as poo poo and watching jets do their thing. There are some Canadian Hornet drivers here, but didn't see them flying around.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Space Gopher posted:

The F-4 isn't flawless in every aerial combat regime. It's the best in the world at BVR, and still competent at WVR. It'd be foolish to think that a bunch of cheap, outdated MiGs with guns, of all things, could ever pose a threat.

I am really sorry for going back to this but once the Navy pilots got their training poo poo together they did infact go back to shitstomping the NVAF to the tune of a 13:1 kill ratio from 1970 on.

Not getting suckered into the strenghts of your enemey's fight is and always will be a really big deal when it comes to winning.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
I am heading to the Oregon coast this week for a family reunion. I would like to sneak away and take in one of the air museums out there but I can't decide between the Evergreen Aviation museum or the Tillamook Air Museum. Anyone ever been to either of these? Any preferences or recommendations one way or the other?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

ManifunkDestiny posted:

I am heading to the Oregon coast this week for a family reunion. I would like to sneak away and take in one of the air museums out there but I can't decide between the Evergreen Aviation museum or the Tillamook Air Museum. Anyone ever been to either of these? Any preferences or recommendations one way or the other?

I've been to both, and they are quite different. None of the a/c at the Tillamook museum are cordoned off; you can walk right up to them, open hatches and stuff, pretty rad. Also their aircraft are pretty close to airworthy, and you'll see most of them have oil drip pans under the engines. The downsides are 1) It's kinda dark, and 2) there isn't much presentation, e.g. few informational placards, etc. Last time I was out there, you could go on board the mini Guppy, too.

Evergreen is much more sorted out, but everything is on a NO TOUCHING basis. Apparently they have a 747 water slide there now?? Been a while since I've been there.

Personally, I like Tillamook more because it feels more real, but if you're a plane nerd both places have a lot to offer. And with an early enough start you could do both places in a day.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

kill me now posted:

I am really sorry for going back to this but once the Navy pilots got their training poo poo together they did infact go back to shitstomping the NVAF to the tune of a 13:1 kill ratio from 1970 on.

Not getting suckered into the strenghts of your enemey's fight is and always will be a really big deal when it comes to winning.

Man in the box. Same poo poo since World War I still applies.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

InitialDave posted:

You missed the Victor out.

Any plane that looks like it should actually be in a sci-fi film automatically counts. :v:
Also the accidental take-off a couple of years ago was funny:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyNJ3-8fKY

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Itzena posted:

You missed the Victor out.

Any plane that looks like it should actually be in a sci-fi film automatically counts. :v:
The TSR/2 is actually used in a sci-fi anime series, Stratos 4, Transformers' aerialbots included a Concorde and a Harrier, and there was a Doctor Who storyline involving a time-travelling Concorde.

The Victor does have a cameo, however, at the end of sixties light comedy The Iron Maiden.

Yes, I know, :goonsay:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 4, 2012

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMwm9BJYh2I

Surely that's foreshortening or something, and they're not actually standing the thing on its nose. Though it would be the fastest way to get moving forward, and it is the USMC -- I have heard from several old soldiers that Marine aviators are loving suicidal lunatics tend to get a bit closer to the action than their Navy brothers in the same attack planes (one Vietnam veteran I know claims to have seen grass stains on the intakes of a Marine A-6 that helped him out once). Sure, it's partially interservice joking, but given the reputation of the USMC as a whole ...

It's not standing on its nose, the fuselage is tipped forward about 40-50 degrees though.

And yes Marine aviators do enjoy their little pranks like dusting up random clusters of US troops in the middle of the Kuwaiti desert after a long patrol on the southern Iraq no-fly zone. Two Marine F-18s did it to us while we were sitting on a site security gig for a listening post close to the Kuwait / Iraq DMZ. They didn't get as low as they could have because there was a high tension power line nearby, but when they hit the power and climbed out the jet wash shook up our vehicles and the commo guys' shelters nicely.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Nothing new there.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Lakedaimon posted:

I will be there on Saturday!

If you see a chubby guy standing around with a girl that is totally out of his league you can come up and ask me if I have stairs in my house or something.

drat, son! I'm sorry I missed you. The kid and I were there today as well. From the opening rush 'til about 14:30. I didn't get many pictures, other than a couple of the German Armor and a profile of FIFI. It was a good show, my first Thunder Over Michigan and the first air show I've been to since I was about nine years old. Saw some good planes, saw some good demos, hung out in the air park which we don't usually get to do now that the airport has it fenced off, got inside the Privateer and the C-47, and talked with the :smug: -rear end Hornet pilots from Oceana for a while.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

ManifunkDestiny posted:

We went to Evergreen last Wednesday. Make sure to go early on a weekday. I believe there were more volunteers than visitors until 10 or 10:30. If your a vet, ask for the discount. I got $4 off for showing my Shellback card. The planes were roped off, but with good access. They charged $4 to crawl thru the B17, but you can only go up to the radio room (bomb bay doors are open). The "special" tour of the Goose is $25 for 6 people. I did not spring for that.
The spaceflight building was good also. Highlight there was the Blackbird, ICBM's and the Apollo return vehicle suspended from a helo about 20ft off the ground.
And yes, the waterpark has a 747 on the roof with multiple water slides coming out the side.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

drat, son! I'm sorry I missed you. The kid and I were there today as well. From the opening rush 'til about 14:30. I didn't get many pictures, other than a couple of the German Armor and a profile of FIFI. It was a good show, my first Thunder Over Michigan and the first air show I've been to since I was about nine years old. Saw some good planes, saw some good demos, hung out in the air park which we don't usually get to do now that the airport has it fenced off, got inside the Privateer and the C-47, and talked with the :smug: -rear end Hornet pilots from Oceana for a while.

We didnt get there until like 12:30. But we got to see the cool flights, so thats what was important. Really couldnt see much of the ground combat, we were stuck in the corner down by the fake Panther and fake StuGs. Pleasantly surprised to see that most of the re-enactors actually looked passable and that they werent all like 300lbs or anything. Maybe we got there too late but I did not hear "Rock you like a Hurricane" once which is a disappointment. Maybe thats only at normal air shows. The Corsair wasnt on the scheduled list of planes so that was a nice surprise.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Meydey posted:

We went to Evergreen last Wednesday. Make sure to go early on a weekday. I believe there were more volunteers than visitors until 10 or 10:30. If your a vet, ask for the discount. I got $4 off for showing my Shellback card. The planes were roped off, but with good access. They charged $4 to crawl thru the B17, but you can only go up to the radio room (bomb bay doors are open). The "special" tour of the Goose is $25 for 6 people. I did not spring for that.
The spaceflight building was good also. Highlight there was the Blackbird, ICBM's and the Apollo return vehicle suspended from a helo about 20ft off the ground.
And yes, the waterpark has a 747 on the roof with multiple water slides coming out the side.

I'm trying to remember where I've seen one of those 747s before...either at Ramstein AB in Germany or the airport in Rome, NY that used to be Griffis AFB.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I'm trying to remember where I've seen one of those 747s before...either at Ramstein AB in Germany or the airport in Rome, NY that used to be Griffis AFB.

Evergreen is part of the CRAF and does quite a bit of DOD contract airlift, so Ramstein is a good bet.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

iyaayas01 posted:

Evergreen is part of the CRAF and does quite a bit of DOD contract airlift, so Ramstein is a good bet.

Yep, when I was stationed there I saw them all the time.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:iceburn: Forgot all about that. I was a kid when that happened, but it was on the news for a long-rear end time.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Have an Atlas 5 mission planner's guide/ sales brochure

It's really fascinating (and highly detailed) information on the Atlas 5 rocket, the rocket that sent Curiosity to Mars. Lots of graphs, charts, tables, and writeups. Kinda need to see them pitching a rocket for a market that shops for rockets like we might shop for a printer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

No, I don't know what the penguin is doing there either.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

InitialDave posted:

Those are the ugliest hooters girls ever

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

kmcormick9 posted:

Those are the ugliest hooters girls ever

You haven't been to a lot of Hooters, I take it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Colonial Air Force posted:

You haven't been to a lot of Hooters, I take it.

Especially a hooters outside of the country.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

InitialDave posted:

It's at Bluegrass Army Depot, I know that much. I haven't gotten the story on the penguin yet.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Is it Colonel-in-Chief Sir Nils Olav?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_fmy3xwjbM The LEMV has finally taken flight. I can't believe only one person taped it, so hopefully we'll see more videos pop up over the next couple days.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tekne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_fmy3xwjbM The LEMV has finally taken flight. I can't believe only one person taped it, so hopefully we'll see more videos pop up over the next couple days.

Insert irrational UAV fear here. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

InitialDave posted:

Legit lol'ed at the penguin. What the christ.