Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

10-8 posted:

I have to say I didn't even know this was a thing. I've never done that once in the nearly two years I've had my Paperwhite. Is this only on the second generation Paperwhite?

Works on my Touch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any UK goon looking a Kindle Paperwhite second generation: it's going for £89 on Amazon until the end of today if you use the offer code KINDLE4SUN at the checkout.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=468294

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Tiggum posted:

I had a similar problem with my Kindle Keyboard (because I sat on it) and it turns out you can get a replacement screen and it's surprisingly easy to fix it yourself. Don't know about the Paperwhite, but if the screens are available then I'd guess it shouldn't be too much different. Just try Googling it. For the keyboard I found some simple instructions pretty easily.

That said, the screens turned out to be expensive enough that I just went on eBay and bought a second-hand Kindle Keyboard instead. Still got the old one though in case the new one develops a different problem so I can combine them into one functional unit.

Also, even though it's out of warranty it may be worth talking to Amazon about it. When mine broke it was well out of warranty but they offered me a discount on a new one. I didn't take them up on it because I wanted a Kindle Keyboard again and they were no longer selling them at the time.

Yeah, the screens are too expensive to bother with. I talked to amazon and they only offered me £20 off until I mentioned EU sales directives and the UK sales of goods act (thanks to a random helpful ebay message).
Ended up with a full refund and will sell the faulty one. Not a bad result :cool:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
So did amazon completely remove the "borrow books for free with prime" in favor of their new kindle unlimited thing? Cuz that's lovely if so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drunk Tomato posted:

So did amazon completely remove the "borrow books for free with prime" in favor of their new kindle unlimited thing? Cuz that's lovely if so.
Yuuuuuuuuuuup.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
drat, that is bullshit.

When you guys were talking about the Kindle Unlimited thing being full of self-published books, I was thinking "did they just add all the free Prime books into it too and hope nobody would notice that those books were already free?"

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, because it's not like I really read that stuff anyway.

EDIT: It looks like they're all still there.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000739811

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 30, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

drat, that is bullshit.

When you guys were talking about the Kindle Unlimited thing being full of self-published books, I was thinking "did they just add all the free Prime books into it too and hope nobody would notice that those books were already free?"

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, because it's not like I really read that stuff anyway.

EDIT: It looks like they're all still there.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000739811

Well, that page is there. If you look at a Harry Potter book, which is supposed to be included in the lending library, it's now on Kindle Unlimited and there's no mention of the lending library.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Yeah I'm confused because people on the amazon forums were saying the Lending Library is still there, it's just harder to see now (which makes financial and marketing sense I guess). Any kindle book that has the prime logo is still meant to be borrowable; but the logos are acting up right now, at least for me, which makes it look like the program is just totally dead.

Apparently next month you should be able to go to a book via your kindle and borrow just like before. This is according to people on the forums, though. I guess we'll see in a few days.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Apparently Sony is exiting the eReader business.

So is there only the Kindle & Nook now?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Don't worry, there's still the Kobo!

Other people still use the Kobo, right?

... Right?

:(

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Totally, Kobo is excellent.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zat posted:

Totally, Kobo is excellent.

I really like their hardware :/

Odette posted:

Apparently Sony is exiting the eReader business.

So is there only the Kindle & Nook now?

And didn't B&N all but cut out their nook division from their company?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Don't worry, there's still the Kobo!

Other people still use the Kobo, right?

... Right?

:(

I freakin' love the Aura I picked up last month.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

hope and vaseline posted:

I really like their hardware :/

And didn't B&N all but cut out their nook division from their company?

Pretty much. They're standing by the Glowlight for now and will release a B&N-branded Samsung tablet later this year.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why are they dropping out? Aren't ebook readers still booming?

I see everybody with Kindles and I guess they're great machines, but I don't really think it's just because Amazon is so good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cingulate posted:

Aren't ebook readers still booming?

They aren't, actually. Amazon won't break out eink Kindle numbers so we can't be sure how their models are really selling, but the writing (har) is on the wall. Eink readers are largely being supplanted by large phone screens and cheap smaller tablets.

Amazon will probably keep an eink Kindle around in some form for awhile as I suspect they don't have to dump a ton of R&D into it and with competitors dropping like flies they won't have to refresh it often. However, it's not something that can survive as a standalone product.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cingulate posted:

Why are they dropping out? Aren't ebook readers still booming?

For Sony at the least, they've been holding on a very small fraction of the market practically since the first Kindle came out. They were the go-to market dominator all over before the Kindle came out in America in 2007 and still were outside north america until 2009 or so when the Kindle went to full worldwide distribution; but they've never been the same since.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

E-ink readers still seem popular to me. The problem for someone like Sony is that Amazon is hell-bent on commoditizing them. $70 for the basic one... $120 for the Paperwhite. Amazon can sell close to cost and then make money on the books. What's Sony's strategy?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

They aren't, actually. Amazon won't break out eink Kindle numbers so we can't be sure how their models are really selling, but the writing (har) is on the wall. Eink readers are largely being supplanted by large phone screens and cheap smaller tablets.

Amazon will probably keep an eink Kindle around in some form for awhile as I suspect they don't have to dump a ton of R&D into it and with competitors dropping like flies they won't have to refresh it often. However, it's not something that can survive as a standalone product.
Oh please no. Active displays can't replace real ebook readers. What are people gonna do on transatlantic flights, watch the inflight movies?
For the niche they're in, E-ink devices are very clearly the superior technology.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cingulate posted:

Oh please no. Active displays can't replace real ebook readers. What are people gonna do on transatlantic flights, watch the inflight movies?
For the niche they're in, E-ink devices are very clearly the superior technology.

It's not a debate about the technology, it's just about the use cases.

For the vast majority of people that read a book every few months, ereaders don't really offer the value proposition. They neither want nor need a dedicated reading device.

You said it yourself, they are a niche and they are the superior tech for that niche. Unfortunately, it's still a niche. Amazon can afford to keep that niche alive because it's only a part of their overall business model. But there's no room for anyone else right now. You need to make money on the bookselling side of the business in order to make the investment in hardware R&D worth it.

The stats are actually quite depressing and scary the last I saw.

quote:

• One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.

• 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.

• 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.

• 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

• 57 percent of new books are not read to completion.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cingulate posted:

So was Betamax.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cingulate posted:

For the once a year I go on a beach vacation or take a long flight, I use my Nook (e: to clarify, my Nook Simple Touch from like 3 years ago). For the hour or two I read spaced throughout each day, my phone works great and is always on me.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 5, 2014

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

An LCD tablet isn't going to be too much more expensive to make than an e-ink reader, particularly if the reader is expected to have a backlight and touchscreen, and the tablet lets whoever runs the app store peddle music, movies, games and apps and get a cut of horrible in-app-purchase play-to-win bullshit in addition to just selling books.

I may buy an extra nook simple touch or two next time they're on sale in the $30 range. :smith:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

bull3964 posted:

• One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.

• 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.

• 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.

• 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

• 57 percent of new books are not read to completion.

This doesn't surprise me in the least, but it's still the most depressing thing I'm going to read all day. Where are these numbers from?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mnemosyne posted:

Where are these numbers from?

I'm not completely sure right now, I just remember running across them recently. Have to admit I didn't cross reference them for verification.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ConanThe3rd posted:

So was Betamax.

That's not true, Betamax tapes had the exact same video quality as VHS but the slightly smaller case design meant they ended up shipping with consistently less tape on the spool making them cost more to record the same amount of stuff off a TV.

bull3964 posted:

It's not a debate about the technology, it's just about the use cases.

For the vast majority of people that read a book every few months, ereaders don't really offer the value proposition. They neither want nor need a dedicated reading device.

So what? That's already a pretty big market.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

This doesn't surprise me in the least, but it's still the most depressing thing I'm going to read all day. Where are these numbers from?
They're basically junk stats:
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/9446/do-33-of-high-school-graduates-never-read-another-book-for-the-rest-of-their-li

No one can find the actual source of this "study", but it keeps getting repeated.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Also, I don't believe that e readers are "going away" or being discontinued or something. It's a niche but the tech is there already, so we'll just see cheaper variants of them. Show me stats on horrifically lowered sales and I'll believe you, but I'm not just going to take your word for it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also I just noticed he said " 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years."

Well no poo poo you don't need to go to a bookstore if you have an ereader! Let alone that you can buy books in way more places than dedicated bookstores.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those numbers are from 2006 at the latest too. Ancient history.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Drunk Tomato posted:

Show me stats on horrifically lowered sales and I'll believe you, but I'm not just going to take your word for it.

Well, there's the exit or pending exit of nearly every other hardware manufacturer out there.

Amazon itself is playing it close to their chest as they don't break down sales numbers.

You could argue that Amazon captured 100% of those declining markets, but we lack the stats to say one way or another.

Regardless, the original question was why was Sony exiting the market and the answer is simply that there isn't money in building a standalone eReader. If there was overwhelming demand for them, there would be more players in the market.

Meanwhile, we do see demand for eBookstores that are traditionally only leveraged though tablet/phone devices. No one has native eReader integration with Google Play Books or iBooks, yet both of those stores are quite active. Do they sell as many ebooks as Amazon? Absolutely not. But we know pretty much every sale on those services is only going to be viewed on an active screen (some Play ebooks can be transferred to a eink reader with Adobe DRM, but those are edge cases.)

We can thank DRM in a lot of ways for the state of things. Without DRM, we likely wouldn't have needed closely coupled ecosystems to hardware which might have allowed for better competition between eReaders. Yes, we know the DRM is trivial to break, but the casual market isn't going to go through the hassle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Because Sony made ok products with a bookstore that wasn't very good, and the Nook was an ok product with an ok bookstore tied to a dying business. Kobo's doing fine, and Amazon's doing great, and it doesn't matter that the 50 very small companies that also used to buy e-ink panels and slap together a reader aren't bothering anymore.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because Sony made ok products with a bookstore that wasn't very good, and the Nook was an ok product with an ok bookstore tied to a dying business. Kobo's doing fine, and Amazon's doing great, and it doesn't matter that the 50 very small companies that also used to buy e-ink panels and slap together a reader aren't bothering anymore.

Everything I can find says Kobo is basically non-existent in the U.S., at least. A single company selling ereaders (again, in the U.S.) isn't a good sign or a good situation if you want a bright future for ereaders.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RVProfootballer posted:

Everything I can find says Kobo is basically non-existent in the U.S., at least. A single company selling ereaders (again, in the U.S.) isn't a good sign or a good situation if you want a bright future for ereaders.

Everyone else has been barely a significant share in the US for a while too. Nook only managed any sort of significant share for a few years.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

An LCD tablet isn't going to be too much more expensive to make than an e-ink reader
It's also pretty bad to read books on, unless you have bad eyes and read only 15 minutes at a time :|

bull3964 posted:

The stats are actually quite depressing and scary the last I saw.
These stats don't mean much by themselves either way. The proportion of people who read books is mostly irrelevant for manufacturing and developing these, since you don't sell to proportions, you sell to masses and you watch for trends. What'd matter would be the change over time (which, I guess, would be a slow decline coming from a peak; I am quite certain that there are only very few decades in which more books have been read and sold than the 2010s and 2000s), and the total amount of buyers.

Can't ignore that for most of the history of the world, most people did not even know how to read, lest have access to books and time to read them for fun.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Cingulate posted:

Can't ignore that for most of the history of the world, most people did not even know how to read, lest have access to books and time to read them for fun.

No, you don't understand. drat kids today, with their low-hanging pants and urban music!!! :bahgawd: :bahgawd:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Just got my kindle 3/keyboard fixed after I dropped it on the screen last year and just started reading on my ipad. What are the current restrictions on the 3g browsing? I've heard everything from "wikipedia/amazon only" to "50 megs" to "50 megs outside the US". I can confirm it's not the first one, but am I gonna run out of data? 50 megs is microscopic, even loading mobile browser versions of things.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Javid posted:

Just got my kindle 3/keyboard fixed after I dropped it on the screen last year and just started reading on my ipad. What are the current restrictions on the 3g browsing? I've heard everything from "wikipedia/amazon only" to "50 megs" to "50 megs outside the US". I can confirm it's not the first one, but am I gonna run out of data? 50 megs is microscopic, even loading mobile browser versions of things.

Kindle Keyboard doesn't have any restrictions on 3G browsing in most countries including the US. In some countries, Amazon was only able to negotiate for access to the store and wikipedia, and in a few other countries it's store+wikipedia+a limited data amount monthly to other sites.

Keep in mind that the Kindle web access is provided through an Amazon proxy server that compresses things in general, and specifically downscales images to 16 or 256 level grayscale, so it does use a lot less data than you might think. So unless you're planning to take it with you to some European and Asian countries and use it as your sole internet device, you don't have to worry about running out of data.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Awesome. It's pretty much that I want to be able to get on google voice and/or facebook in places my normal phone doesn't get service, since this thing seems to manage to get data loving everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
There is that 50MB limit but with images turned off I don't hit it that frequently even with heavy daily usage. Most of the times I hit it it's the last day of the month, and then you get a warning saying click here and you'll get 24 hours emergency usage. The count restarts on the 1st of the month.