Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dammit, there's nothing quite like playing your rear end off through a weekend tournament and losing the final in a shoot out. Talk about frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

so the NHL is canceled and this week real hockey got canceled too. No drop in tonight because one of the goalies got hurt. :smith:
Pfft, wimps. Just state that only posts count on the empty net and have the goalie that does show up switch ends every so often.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

coldwind posted:

Helpful words.

Thanks for your help, to answer your questions;

From memory there didn't seem to any loss of feeling or lack of pulse in either arm. I am considering skating again tomorrow night so if it happens again I will pay closer attention.

General feeling though is normal, apart from in the index and pinky of my left hand where the pain radiates down to.

Nothing else seems to cause the pain*. I played field hockey at the weekend and despite pushing myself equally as hard didn't experience any problems. *Interestingly though if I think about my symptoms it does bring the pain back for a short while although I'm sure sure how much of that is me knowing it should hurt rather than it actually hurting.

General range of motion is fine during normal use. It only seems to have an effect after its flared up in that I know its going to hurt when I shoot so I don't shoot as hard as I would.

No recent trauma to mention, other than the usual you'd expect from checking hockey.

Urine is fine.

I have since spoken with a sports physiotherapist who thinks it is a trapped nerve somewhere in & around my shoulder or neck area. He's going to have a proper look during the week and so hopefully should provide some answers.

In the short term I'm taking anti inflammatories to reduce any swelling in the area as well as icing the area when it flares up.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Pfft, wimps. Just state that only posts count on the empty net and have the goalie that does show up switch ends every so often.
I would do this, but other people find it to be a waste of time. I mean at public drop ins this has happened a few times and it kinda is, but really any excuse to get on the ice is good enough for me. I don't really care if the quality of play blows; better than sitting on my rear end watching baseball playoffs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's my take too. If I get a shot at some ice.. I'll be out there even if I'm the only one out there. There's always something that needs some work.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

There wasn't a shooter tutor available? f we only get one goalie at drop in, we just bring out the tutor and switch ends after a goal.

Of course I haven't been able to play a legit game of hockey in 5 months :smithicide:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

It was cancelled well in advance; guy texted everyone who goes to the skate, or most everyone I assume. Even so I doubt those guys would want to play on a shooter tutor.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I reffed a Bronze beer league game tonight where one of the teams had a coach with a suit and tie on standing behind the bench. :wtc:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tell me it was the Honey Badgers, please.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Topoisomerase posted:

I reffed a Bronze beer league game tonight where one of the teams had a coach with a suit and tie on standing behind the bench. :wtc:

God forbid I ever get injured and can't play, I will still come to games in suits and "coach" my team.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I wound up playing in that iron man tournament that I spoke of earlier. It was pretty solid. 8 minutes of constant, hard skating wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still pretty bad. We made it to the championship and lost 1-0 in overtime. Looking forward to the next one, hopefully there's more than 6 teams.

Even better news is I had two games last night and three tonight. Hockey overdose makes grown men smile.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
First ever beer league game tonight. Gonna be super awesome.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
And back. And it was super awesome.

I'm definitely not in full hockey shape, though. I was already dying at the start of the second period. Thank god it's running clock and short shifts at least.

We tied 1-1, but mainly because our goalie is fantastic. Their goal was largely my fault, though, since it was the third period and my legs were really bad, so I tried to poke check their best player and ended up lunging too far, letting him get around me and put one in on the goalie.

Still, we had some sparks of offense and good team work, so I think this'll be a fun season.

Also I'm definitely the youngest on the team, and some players are older than my parents, but I expected that.

Next game Sunday, can't wait. :)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Guys, I need some advice. (This is for floorball, but it's more about team dynamics and poo poo.)

A few friends of mine are putting in a team to a grade that's above the one I play in, but I got word tonight they want to put me on the wing (to get a bigger more physical guy on D). I've played defense the entire time I've been playing (have filled in a few times as goalie too). Another team in the higher grade has asked if I'm available to play goalie, and I'm a bit conflicted. I feel a bit like my friends are keeping me on the team so I don't get butthurt by being excluded (or they're too nice to say "you're not up to speed, deal with it"). I know for myself I'm not going to be at all effective moving up a grade and playing forward - I'm straight-up going to be a liability (or, even more of one than I'd already be :downsrim:).

I guess the logical thing here is to grab the captain of my friends team, and just say to him "I've been asked to play goalie for another team and I'm not confident in my ability to step up and play wing. Is it going to bother you if I swap teams?".

Beer league sport. Serious business yo. (Oh, additional complicating factor: me and these friends - we basically are the organisers for these leagues, and this team we're pitching is, essentially, just to make up the numbers to make the upper league viable. :v:)

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Another floorball player here;
Play a defensive winger, that's the role I got when I play. Forecheck like mad, get bruises every single game and sneak a dirty hit whenever the ref isn't looking. Also, even if you're tiny(like me) you can still be a loving movable pylon. Annoy the opponents, chirp them and get them to get retaliation penalties.

I score about a goal per game, maybe 1.2/g, with that strategy. Sure, I get a lot retaliations(I was seriously checked in the back into the boards yesterday, hurt my head like hell) but keep your head up and you should be productive. I did the same transition from D to W and it worked great.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thel posted:

Guys, I need some advice. (This is for floorball, but it's more about team dynamics and poo poo.)

A few friends of mine are putting in a team to a grade that's above the one I play in, but I got word tonight they want to put me on the wing (to get a bigger more physical guy on D). I've played defense the entire time I've been playing (have filled in a few times as goalie too). Another team in the higher grade has asked if I'm available to play goalie, and I'm a bit conflicted. I feel a bit like my friends are keeping me on the team so I don't get butthurt by being excluded (or they're too nice to say "you're not up to speed, deal with it"). I know for myself I'm not going to be at all effective moving up a grade and playing forward - I'm straight-up going to be a liability (or, even more of one than I'd already be :downsrim:).

I guess the logical thing here is to grab the captain of my friends team, and just say to him "I've been asked to play goalie for another team and I'm not confident in my ability to step up and play wing. Is it going to bother you if I swap teams?".

Beer league sport. Serious business yo. (Oh, additional complicating factor: me and these friends - we basically are the organisers for these leagues, and this team we're pitching is, essentially, just to make up the numbers to make the upper league viable. :v:)

Take advantage of the opportunity to play with players better than you. It's a good way to learn! You'll never learn anything by playing with other pylons.

My regular team was in Bronze last season and I was getting a little bored/antsy to move up, so I found a team in Silver to sub for. Even though we lost more games than we won, it was a great experience. Met new dudes and played more competitive hockey. It was good in prepping me for this season when my regular team moved up to Silver. We have a few people that are struggling making the jump, but it's just another game for me and I feel faster on my skates than ever.

It was pretty funny though. I'd have a Silver game on Friday that was pretty fast-paced, or at least a lot more than I was used to. Then 2 days later I'd go to my Bronze game and everyone seemed like they were stuck in mud. My center and I ended up #1 and #2 in the league in points. Cool, but I didn't really learn anything.

Less words: Move up with your friends, learn some new things, have a good time, and drink beer. Also, listen to Iron Maiden.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 16, 2012

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Never Not Play Hockey

...or floorball, in this instance.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Thel posted:

Be open, honest and direct with your friends. It will never be easy to say what someone might not want to hear but it's also dangerous to presume their intentions.

If you can handle the idea that you might not be up to speed and are willing to play anyway, (as H.Z. recommends) then ask yourself if you'd rather skate out with friends or play net. If you're honest, and ask your friends for their honest opinion, everyone will at least understand each other.

I enjoy playing both with and against my friends. It's a blast to get a bit rough in the slot when you know the other guy is gonna laugh alongside you instead of getting all bent out of shape.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
First night of one of my clinics tonight, and found out starting next week, it will move from Umass Boston to a rink 4 highway exits from my house. This is a 45 minute reduction in my round trip drive, with extra bonus free parking. gently caress yeah!

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So the good news is I've skated twice this week without feeling any ill feeling in my shoulder so hopefully the frequent physio sessions are working.

The frustrating news is that my passing has completely disappeared. For some reason when I'm trying to pass outside my body (so righty passing to the right) the puck just keeps fluffing off the end of my blade and not really going anywhere. I recently switched to a shorter stick with a more aggressive blade (Bauer X20snr to a Warrior KGB Int). I can't figure out what is going wrong.

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!
I'm debating switching from a right shot to a left shot. I shot right growing up playing roller hockey, but that was due to my American baseball bias. I'm starting to see that having my dominant hand on top could help a LOT with puck control and snap shots.

I've only been playing on ice since June and hadn't touched a stick before that for over 10 years, so I don't have that much invested in continuing to shoot right. Is there any reason I shouldn't just switch? I only have Sherwood 5030's right now, so I'm not losing a ton of money on my old sticks.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Charlie posted:

I'm debating switching from a right shot to a left shot. I shot right growing up playing roller hockey, but that was due to my American baseball bias. I'm starting to see that having my dominant hand on top could help a LOT with puck control and snap shots.

I've only been playing on ice since June and hadn't touched a stick before that for over 10 years, so I don't have that much invested in continuing to shoot right. Is there any reason I shouldn't just switch? I only have Sherwood 5030's right now, so I'm not losing a ton of money on my old sticks.
How is it supposed to make your snap shots better? I'm also not convinced on how it's THAT much better for your puck control.

For sure, your EVERYTHING will be markedly worse for awhile while you transition.

Reasons not to switch? It's a great opportunity to strengthen your non-dominant wrist/hand. (There's a joke about masturbating to be made here, I just don't know what it is.)

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Charlie posted:

Instead of switching hands try doing wrist rollers or you could just wank with your off-hand, I guess.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Went to a shootout on Monday night and I had first shot. Got the goalie down with a couple dekes, then rang the puck off the loving crossbar.

I literally did the exact same thing last season.

Colorado Pond Hockey News: Our team is officially registered!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've never understood people who play with their dominant hand not on the top of the stick, but apparently it's rare.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

I've never understood people who play with their dominant hand not on the top of the stick, but apparently it's rare.

I read a theory once that putting the dominant hand low improves shot power, because if that arm is stronger you can flex the stick easier I guess?

But dominant hand on the top improves dexterity with puck handling.

Or something like that. I have serious doubts it matters which way you hold the stick.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Using a left stick is a Canadian thing (sans-BC). America and BC have more players who shoot right. Really, it's just a matter of which side is taught to children first. There are a ton of great hockey players who play with the dominant hand on the bottom.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

I shoot left and am left handed. I probably chose to shoot left because thats what my brother shot, who is right handed.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

Cause sometimes it's the only sticks sitting around to use when you start playing.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Wait, people put their dominant hand on top of their stick? Really?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vicas posted:

Roughly 90% of all the people who shoot lefty are going to have their dominant on top. :v:

(the remaining 10% are left handed)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Vicas posted:

Yeah, I do. I'm a righty who shoots left. When I first started playing, I bought a right-handed stick and I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I told my coach that I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong. She watched what I was doing and said, "That's because you're a left-handed shot. Go get a left-handed stick." So I did, and I've been fine ever since.

Interestingly enough, I batted right when I played baseball as a kid, but I was never able to switch hit. Supposedly Canadian kids grow up shooting to their non-dominant side, but American kids grow up playing baseball first and tend to shoot on their dominant side as a result. I have no idea if there's any truth to that or not.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I am right handed, and was taught how to bat right handed as well as golf right handed before learning how to play hockey. It was just a natural progression for me.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I shoot right, and have done everything right handed my whole life.

I have tried to hold a lefty stick and it just feels weird.

EDIT:
I have a question regarding high end skates. I was looking at some $600 skates at the shop the other day and something struck me. While the boot is obviously with a stronger shell and better insulation the tounges look WORSE.

Like they have these pieces of plastic in them (which I assume is for protection), but I can't see that being more comfy than the standard tounges (felt?).

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 18, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I think we've had this discussion before and ended up concluding it doesn't really matter once you're used to whatever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The taught to bat a certain way is so strange to me because the equipment is the same no matter what. There's literally nothing but choice from keeping someone batting a certain way.

I've always been left handed and when I picked up a bat I tried both ways and swung right. Same with hockey, I picked up 2 sticks way back in the day and had a much better time with a right handed stick.

The flex thing makes no sense to me. Flexing a stick is so much more than the differential between arm strengths (which also makes little sense I do the same weight on each arm when doing any sort of workout).

Interesting responses though, thanks for humoring me

And yeah, obviously it doesn't really matter. Just curious how people got to do what they do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

EDIT:
I have a question regarding high end skates. I was looking at some $600 skates at the shop the other day and something struck me. While the boot is obviously with a stronger shell and better insulation the tounges look WORSE.

Like they have these pieces of plastic in them (which I assume is for protection), but I can't see that being more comfy than the standard tounges (felt?).

Are you talking about the Bauer TotalOnes?

If so, the idea behind those tongues is that those plastic tabs will provide customizable levels of resistance for your forward flex. I have them, it's pretty much a gimmick. I think bewbies even pulled those tongues out to insert the tongue he wanted. My tongues are just glued in and if they ever come off I'll probably get different ones because they're so irrelevant. Also they're perfectly comfortable but I'm not the normal when it comes to skates.

I love the skates though.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 18, 2012

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yeah the reason I shoot right is because in the UK you're taught to play golf/cricket/field hockey with your right hand at the bottom. I've played now for 8 years so it'd be a whole lot of muscle memory to retrain.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

Are you talking about the Bauer TotalOnes?

If so, the idea behind those tongues is that those plastic tabs will provide customizable levels of resistance for your forward flex. I have them, it's pretty much a gimmick. I think bewbies even pulled those tongues out to insert the tongue he wanted. My tongues are just glued in and if they ever come off I'll probably get different ones because they're so irrelevant. Also they're perfectly comfortable but I'm not the normal when it comes to skates.

I love the skates though.

Yeah, the total ones and the Vapor 7.0s were the two I was looking at. The store didn't have the Vapor AXP or whatever.

Thanks for the clarification though. I figured it wasn't terribly useful, but its nice to know its not uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Vicas posted:

Which way to you shovel? This is the way you should hold your stick. Usually dominant hand towards the end of the stick.

<-- Lefty who shoots right.