Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

But can she make Frey Pie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
I'm guessing she'll be making Aurubin pies soon if someones doesn't stop being such a Manderly...

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

hailthefish posted:

But can she make Frey Pie?

From the comments thread on the Stew:

Needs Mead posted:

Oh, never fear. Some variation of Manderley’s Pie will probably make its way onto the blog. :)

:ohdear:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I wouldn't be surprised if before the series is over Roose and Ramsay end up in some canapés as well, or perhaps a hearty quiche.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Giants going to the Super Bowl against the Patriots! Hope they can slay the figurative dragon once again, and not "pull a Quentyn". I'll be rooting for New York all the way, hopefully the win can inspire GRRM in the way the last Super Bowl win did four years ago. It is going to be a long two weeks and I can't wait.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

bigmcgaffney posted:

Giants going to the Super Bowl against the Patriots! Hope they can slay the figurative dragon once again, and not "pull a Quentyn". I'll be rooting for New York all the way, hopefully the win can inspire GRRM in the way the last Super Bowl win did four years ago. It is going to be a long two weeks and I can't wait.

Winds of Winter will just be littered with anecdotes of giants destroying patriotic-types left and right.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Dazerbeams posted:

Winds of Winter will just be littered with anecdotes of giants destroying patriotic-types left and right.
"So he said, but words are wind. Stannis' deployment of troops was as useless as nipples on a breastplate. Bolton crushed him like a giant mashed a Targaryen. You know nothing, Jon Snow."

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I believe it would go more along the lines of: Ell Eye Man Man raised his mighty fist to his misshapen brow. He ran his hand over the lumps and ridges of his battered helmet, straining with thought. The tiny knight at his feet struggled to get away. His shield depicted a burly man in a three point stance; more learned men would recognize this heraldry as that of the minor house Bradey, a house known across the North for their prowess at the game of neep-toss, a game at which they were frequent champions. As the knight, one Ser Thom Bradey, tried to scramble out of the general vicinity of Man Man's pressured assault and flee for his life, the giant brought down his mallet of prodigious girth and crushed the knight into paste. Somewhere, the hapless knight's gorgeous wife cried perfumed tears.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

love the catch 22 of football season. if he does poorly he sulks and doesn't write, and if he does well he somehow doesn't write either. Also when it's not football season he wishes it was and doesn't write. I think there are two football equinoxes a year where things are just right where he may write.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gurm will never write.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's the symbolism behind the Giant getting stabbed before Jon dies?

Did they lose or something when he wrote that?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dead Man Posting posted:

What's the symbolism behind the Giant getting stabbed before Jon dies?

Did they lose or something when he wrote that?

Something to do with a bet where the Giants beat Dallas. The giant kills some guy a single star for his heraldry.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

Gurm will never write beyond his notablog.

Fixed that for you.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Junkenstein posted:

Something to do with a bet where the Giants beat Dallas. The giant kills some guy a single star for his heraldry.

For the record, this is not a joke.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
If anybody thought it was, they should stop reading this thread immediately and move to one of the TVIV threads.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

If anybody thought it was, they should stop reading this thread immediately and move to one of the TVIV threads.

When the show begins I will, I am looking forward to some discussion about the show's cinematic merits, handling of themes, and portrayal of gay characters such as Dolorous Edd.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Dolorous Edd/Renly's Corpse OTP.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Dolorous Edd/Renly's Corpse OTP.

"We will defend this orgy to the last man!" said Loras Tyrell.

"Probably me." Said Dolorous Edd, in a resigned voice.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zocio posted:

"We will defend this orgy to the last man!" said Loras Tyrell.

"Probably me." Said Dolorous Edd, in a resigned voice.

He's like the Eeyore of gay orgies. :smith:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I had Sister's Stew the other day. Trip report: it was amazing.

Serve it out of a loaf of bread like it says and you will literally devour everything. I think I know why GRRM is so fat if this is the kind of thing he's eating every day.

Gonna store that recipe in a safe place and bring it out when I need to impress someone. Definitely try it out if you can.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Re-asked my moderating question in the Ask Us About the Forums thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2472443&pagenumber=182#post399959506

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Vengarr posted:

I had Sister's Stew the other day. Trip report: it was amazing.

Serve it out of a loaf of bread like it says and you will literally devour everything. I think I know why GRRM is so fat if this is the kind of thing he's eating every day.

Gonna store that recipe in a safe place and bring it out when I need to impress someone. Definitely try it out if you can.

I can concur, although I didn't use a bread bowl, it's amazing anyway,

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2472443&pagenumber=182#post399959506

You fool! You've damned us all! Now we'll have to create an in-joke wiki and annotate our posts in order to allow the unwashed to partake of our sacraments!

Or, more likely, we'll just turn into a desert again when the next season airs and people start caring again.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

The mods are right. A newcomer to this thread might think the books are well written which would lead to some serious confusion.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Scipiotik posted:

I can concur, although I didn't use a bread bowl, it's amazing anyway,

We went to Panera and bought a bunch of individual loafs for each person. Not a single one survived.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

DARPA posted:

The mods are right. A newcomer to this thread might think the books are well written which would lead to some serious confusion.

But the OP clearly notes the past Bad Threads, what kind of books would a newcomer think would be discussed in a Bad Thread?

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.
Next book, Jon is going to rise from the pink-stained snow with nipples on his breastplate.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How come more people don't smoke in Westeros, or even in Essos? Gandalf's wrecking that pipeweed or whatever it was in Lord of the Rings. I'm surprised it doesn't show up more in ASOIF, especially with the more motley groups running around (Ironmen, the wildlings, any of the slaver groups).

Dear George RR Martin,

write a scene in the next book where Dany sees a vision of a wizard ripping a huge bong hit please thank you.

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.
They're too busy slamming that milk of the poppy WOOOOOOOO. Milk moustache is looking kaaaa-rraaaazzzyyyyy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gorge doesn't do half measures when it comes to food descriptions or drug use. It's a wonder everyone in this series isn't a fat alcoholic junkie.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

IRQ posted:

Gorge doesn't do half measures when it comes to food descriptions or drug use. It's a wonder everyone in this series isn't a fat alcoholic junkie.
Cersei's arc in AFFC is actually partly about just that.

John XIII
Dec 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Wait. Dolores Edd is gay?! Say it ain't so.

I think I'll need some milk of the poppy and a little lay-down.....

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dolores Edd is a 1992 psychological thriller by Stephen King. The novel is narrated by the title character. Atypically for a King novel, it has no chapters, double-spacing between paragraphs, or other section breaks; thus the text is a single continuous whine which reads like the transcription of an endless complaint.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't know why it matters that I'm gay no ones going to have sex with me anyway :smith:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Dolores Edd is a 1992 psychological thriller by Stephen King. The novel is narrated by the title character. Atypically for a King novel, it has no chapters, double-spacing between paragraphs, or other section breaks; thus the text is a single continuous whine which reads like the transcription of an endless complaint.

I really wish Cersei's chapters were written in the style of Hubert Selby Jr.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I would say I hope Gurm gets hit by a car like Stephen King but Gurm would just total the car and keep rolling along toward the Pizza Barn like a gelatinous force of nature.

John XIII
Dec 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh

IRQ posted:

I would say I hope Gurm gets hit by a car like Stephen King but Gurm would just total the car and keep rolling along toward the Pizza Barn like a gelatinous force of nature.

LOL I just hope his sweet, sweet captain's hat stays on.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Trip Report: based on recommendations in this thread, I made Sister's Stew earlier tonight. I skipped the bread bowl because the stew itself is high enough in carbs and calories as it is, but I of course then negated the calorie-saving effort entirely by drinking two bottles of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout while eating it and one more while cleaning up. Solid pairing: a rustic, stick-to-your bones beer with a rustic, stick-to-your-bones stew.

The stew is basically an upscale New England clam chowder. I can see this being served in one of those kinds of restaurants that tries to make fancy and expensive modern versions of comfort foods and diner fare. The prep time was reasonable and I don't think there's anything in the recipe that might trip up an inexperienced cook. It doesn't say to do so in the recipe, but I rinsed all the seafood and thoroughly wrung out the clams and crab in paper towels to keep the dish from being too fishy.

That fat rear end in a top hat really does know his food.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know why it matters that I'm gay no ones going to have sex with me anyway :smith:

What is the Wall's policy on gay sex anyway, surely they've found at least one or two black brothers brothering each other's blacks at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Mass-produced stout sure is rustic.