Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
Drinking outside is best done with supermarket/convenience store drinks in a park. For this reason, Revolver has no appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
man for a dude who hates 99% of foreigners in taiwan that sure as poo poo is a "99% of foreigners in taiwan"-rear end thing to say

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Geez, I feel weird drinking in/outside of the Sev. I wouldn't do it in the US so it goes against instinct.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Chantilly Say posted:

Geez, I feel weird drinking in/outside of the Sev. I wouldn't do it in the US so it goes against instinct.

break free of the chains that bind you

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I can pay like a 1/4 of the price for my booze and be around a bunch of trees and poo poo. Not a tough choice, really. Also, notice I said at a park and not simply outside the bianli shangdian like a claseless gongren.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

I can pay like a 1/4 of the price for my booze and be around a bunch of trees and poo poo. Not a tough choice, really. Also, notice I said at a park and not simply outside the bianli shangdian like a claseless gongren.

Yeah, being an expat is a lot like being in college again. We're on the same page there.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

MRW being a cheap bastard is at war with my hatred of dirty commoners

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Pandemonium posted:

you mean "I don't actually hate 99% of foreigners! I'm actually a really laid back dude who is friendly and likes most people!" is the proper response

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Drinking outside a convenience store is like the closest you can find to a civilized-yet-台 way to drink your booze.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

Yeah, being an expat is a lot like being in college again. We're on the same page there.

I ain't peter panning like a large number of expats here, sorry. Got my business going; doing pretty well; blah blah blah. Drinking some beers outside occasionally is not synonymous with living a college lifestyle in your late 20s, early 30s.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spending time at Roxy 99, on the other hand....

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

I ain't peter panning like a large number of expats here, sorry. Got my business going; doing pretty well; blah blah blah. Drinking some beers outside occasionally is not synonymous with living a college lifestyle in your late 20s, early 30s.

What a precious little businessman, I just want to pinch your little cheeks.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Hey, whatever you need to tell yourself. I don't judge, much.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just a friendly daily PSA to say

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
i agree with that glitter

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm sure the worst of Hess is still a handjob in the park compared to conditions in SEA.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

Euck Hess?

ugh, they really do take anybody

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

YF19pilot posted:

Something new happen to you to make this happen?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GoutPatrol posted:

Something new happen to you to make this happen?

Branch manager (I think) is killing the "fun project" I was doing for one of my classes at almost the last minute, and now I have to quickly change gears and get them ready for essentially a student-run open-house/fun-fair. Of course, I've barely got two weeks to get them ready before I'm taking my vacation. But that's more local branch stuff.

On the broader scale, Hess loving up on their recruitment this season means that next month the two branches in my city will be down to 3 NSTs trying to cover the workload of 5 while I'm on vacation. There's a few other small things, but things feel like they're quickly turning into a glorious clusterfuck around here.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

YF19pilot posted:

Branch manager (I think) is killing the "fun project" I was doing for one of my classes at almost the last minute, and now I have to quickly change gears and get them ready for essentially a student-run open-house/fun-fair. Of course, I've barely got two weeks to get them ready before I'm taking my vacation. But that's more local branch stuff.

On the broader scale, Hess loving up on their recruitment this season means that next month the two branches in my city will be down to 3 NSTs trying to cover the workload of 5 while I'm on vacation. There's a few other small things, but things feel like they're quickly turning into a glorious clusterfuck around here.

Re: workload in your area can't they just have the CTs sub? I'd think the branch manager would be jazzed they can reduce payroll, IIRC they only promise parents like 8/24 classes are NST taught even though they're usually scheduled for half. Of course my IIRC may be quite out of date and branch by branch.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

USDA Choice posted:

Re: workload in your area can't they just have the CTs sub? I'd think the branch manager would be jazzed they can reduce payroll, IIRC they only promise parents like 8/24 classes are NST taught even though they're usually scheduled for half. Of course my IIRC may be quite out of date and branch by branch.

One of my classes is NST only, with three lessons a week. Otherwise, I think our branches' policy is no more that three classes in a row with the CT teaching. Still, the way Hess is actually handling the overall situation is a freaking clown show.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Inauguration host Vincent Chao - completely stole the show.

We weren't able to really nail a suitable moniker, so far we have:

1 - Guy Smiley
2 - Grinzilla
3 - Grincent Chao

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Could some mod change the thread title to "our president is an English vegetable"

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Could some mod change the thread title to "our president is an English vegetable"

Maybe we should burn it down and start a new thread :v:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Spanish Matlock posted:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_AcDYFze5E

Making a new video series, motherfuckers!

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
No dick visible at 0:12. Immersion ruined.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Spanish Matlock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_AcDYFze5E

Making a new video series, motherfuckers!

Hello, yes, Google? I need a stock photo of people concluding a business deal. Yes of course I want handshaking.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

The tiger is even more ridiculous. Bandana guy, 101, TIGER, people handshaking. Like, WTF?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Phone posting. I'll link this properly later.

https://imgur.com/LvnZsz3

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Hello, yes, Google? I need a stock photo of people concluding a business deal. Yes of course I want handshaking.

You are 100% not wrong. The first three photos are legitimate events that our school did, but gently caress if I have time to produce artisanal photos of "business meeting". For what they pay me to make this stuff, they're just lucky there's no big rear end watermark over them.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

YF19pilot posted:

Phone posting. I'll link this properly later.

https://imgur.com/LvnZsz3

The inclusion of her cat is pretty awesome.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201605220014.aspx

quote:

Taipei, May 22 (CNA) The government will spend NT$1.9 billion (US$58.03 million) over the next three years to help improve animal shelters in Taiwan, the Council of Agriculture (COA) said Sunday.

The announcement came in the wake of an apparent suicide by the head of a shelter in Taoyuan earlier this month who could no longer bear to put dogs and cats in the shelter to sleep as her job required.

Wang Chung-shu (王忠恕), deputy director of the COA's Department of Animal Industry, said COA chief Tsao Chi-hung (曹啟鴻) felt sorry about the death of Chien Chih-cheng (簡稚澄).

Chien passed a veterinarian certification test after graduating from National Taiwan University and volunteered to work at the animal shelter in a remote part of Taoyuan along the city's coast in 2010.

She was found to have swallowed a drug used to euthanize cats and dogs on May 5, and she left a suicide note saying she loved animals very much and felt uncomfortable having to put them to sleep so often.

She said she had to end her life to remind the public that "there was no difference in life," and she also expressed the hope that the government could work to control the proliferation of strays at the source.

Wang said Tsao served previously as Pingtung County magistrate and "knows well the dilemma of insufficient manpower, resources and facilities faced by local governments in carrying out animal shelter operations."

This, coupled with revisions to the Animal Protection Act passed in February 2015 that outlaw humanitarian euthanasia of sheltered animals at all 33 publicly funded animal shelters starting in February 2017, is bound to pose a major challenge to managing stray animal shelters, Wang said.

Wang said Tsao has directed that NT$1.9 billion be spent from now until 2018 to strengthen animal protection and improve the shelters' facilities.

According to COA statistics, adoption rates of animals at the shelters have risen greatly from 28.7 percent in 2012 to 70.4 percent in 2015 due to the joint efforts of the central and local governments.

A total of 55,000 animals have been adopted, while the euthanasia rate for sheltered animals has dropped to 12 percent from 50.1 percent in 2012.

In response to the planned increase in spending on animal shelters, animal protection groups said money alone would not make a difference.

They said the key is not money but an insufficient awareness of animal welfare.

They pointed to recent tragic incidents in which dogs were poisoned to death, cats and dogs were suffocated to death during the transportation process and a stray cat was abused by a college student.

The groups also complained that animal protection staff on the front lines often get sick because of excessive workloads.

Well, I for one, am relieved this pressing issue is finally getting the support it needs.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201605220014.aspx

Well, I for one, am relieved this pressing issue is finally getting the support it needs.

well, we know who's pulling the strings behind the scenes

kinda depressing about the suicide thing in that article

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I am unironically glad that the government at least plans to spend so much money on animal shelters, this place needs it. Animal shelters already have it tough enough, even without the disposable attitude a lot of assholes around here have toward animals.

Also preemptively: shut up Pandemonium no-one cares.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wow new government is going to drop sun flower movement charges. Way to go.

I do wonder how KMT is going to be the opposition. Were they a minority or majority when ah bian was around?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

I do wonder how KMT is going to be the opposition. Were they a minority or majority when ah bian was around?
They would've won the presidency in 2000 if Soong hadn't Nadered them IIRC, and last year's elections were the first time the KMT lost both presidency and legislature at once apparently.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

duckfarts posted:

well, we know who's pulling the strings behind the scenes

kinda depressing about the suicide thing in that article

If they could get more people to spay and neuter their personal it would certainly help.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't know, the population growth is already pretty low without everyone neutering their personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On the subject of animal shelters, via Facebook:

quote:

OUR DOGS HAVE JUST TWO MONTHS!

Dear friends of PACK - People for Animal Care & Kindness and The PACK Sanctuary,

Today was the day we've been dreading. Court officials came to our SanZhi Sanctuary today to give us notice to evict the property.

We must be out by July 31. If any dogs remain after that date, they will be taken to a government kill pound.

WE CAN SAVE THEM!

We have permission from new Taipei City officials to build sanctuary gardens at our Dog Kingdom site. Work can begin as soon as we have enough money to start putting up fences.

We need to raise about NT$2 million (£42,000/US$63,000) before the end of July.

PLEASE, if everyone just donates NT$500 (£10/US$15) we can do it.

The SanZhi Sanctuary is home to dogs like ChiChi and Pudding, who have been undergoing reconstructive surgery to rebuild their faces; like Hope, Roo, Scotty, ShanDee, and a dozen other dogs who have lost at least one leg each to illegal gin traps and snares; and like Bernie, Clinton, and 40 others who are too difficult to find good homes elsewhere

All 120 of our SanZhi dogs are deserving of a happy, healthy life.

Please contribute if you can; our builders are standing by!

SPONSOR the #PACKBigBuild !

Each metre of fence costs NT$1,300 (£27/US$40).

Each dog-sanctuary door costs NT$6,000 (£125/US$183).

Please help us build a beautiful, permanent home for our 320 rescued animals!

Donation info 捐款方式:

PAYPAL

Simply make a payment to donate@PACKcharity.org
(mention PACKBigBuild in the details section)

Or visit our PACK donation page:

http://www.packcharity.org/

And click on 'The BIG Build'.

BANK

莊育蘅 Yu-Heng Chuang (Vivian Chuang)
Bank code: 822 (中國信託商業銀行 CTBC Bank Co., Ltd.) 東湖分行
Account no.: 587540139721
SWIFT code: CTCBTWTP

(Please email donate@thesanctuarytaiwan.org with the last five digits of your bank account for confirmation; include PACKBigBuild in the heading or text.)

CREDIT CARD

(Follow the instructions for 'Don't have a PayPal account?' Mention PACKBigBuild in the details section.)

TEXT

Donors in the UK can simply text 'PACK' to 70660 to automatically donate a lifesaving £3 a month. (Please email donate@thesanctuarytaiwan.org with the last five digits of your phone number for confirmation; include PACKBigBuild in the heading or text.)

THANK YOU!