Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of Clownpiece, the new chapter of Visionary Fairies is out, and I'm working on it now, but I have a question for my audience. There a part where Clownpiece says "Wow! Wonderful!" in English (she's seeing cherry blossoms for the first time) and I was wondering how/if I should preserve that feeling of her being a foreigner who makes exclamations in a foreign language. I've come up with three options: a) just leave it in English, but have a different font and/or footnote to make it stand out, b) turn it into French, which keeps the foreignness while also keeping it easy to understand ("Sacre Bleu! Magnifique!"), or c) go deep nerd and try to come up with something in Greek because she's a Greek nymph who serves a Greek goddess.

I think all three choices have good reasons (for example, she is wearing an American flag so English kinda makes sense), but right now I'm leaning towards French. Possibly because I just played Bravely Second. Any other thoughts? For the record, I don't know Greek at all, so that'd be kind of tough in that sense.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

english with footnote

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Translate it to Japanese

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Translate it to Japanese

She's a dumb gaijin, not a weaboo. Totally different.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Only because she's wearing an american flag, I think keeping it english, but in big bold font, is the best.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

also a footnote

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
"Wow! Wonderful... In America!"

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Make it the americanest font you can possibly find imo, but keep it in english.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jostiband posted:

Make it the americanest font you can possibly find imo, but keep it in english.

jokerman

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Keep it in English, but have her say it with the most obnoxious accent you can think of.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Keep it in English, but have her say it with the most obnoxious accent you can think of.

Southern

give her a cowboy hat too

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Clarste posted:

Clownpiece says "Wow! Wonderful!" in English

I didn't think he was going to go all in on this gimmick ("It's lunatic time" could be seen as a one-shot phrase and less full-blown establishment) but I welcome it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

But how would you recommend translating it, leather fedora?

Also, I lost a bet and Blitz changed my avatar. Curse you! ...Except it's not happening?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

looks the same to me mate

maybe it was all a complex mind game

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I guess SA just has a really lax definition of "a few minutes". :shrug:

EDIT: There we go.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 26, 2016

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

There is a pixel difference, clearly

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

America! gently caress yeah!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Is that UdoMyon?

Not A Bad Avatar.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's a good image

https://a.pomf.cat/glxelq.jpg

watch out for panty shots

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's Ario, isn't it?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

No, it's an artist called kariinu

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

Speaking of Clownpiece, the new chapter of Visionary Fairies is out, and I'm working on it now, but I have a question for my audience. There a part where Clownpiece says "Wow! Wonderful!" in English (she's seeing cherry blossoms for the first time) and I was wondering how/if I should preserve that feeling of her being a foreigner who makes exclamations in a foreign language. I've come up with three options: a) just leave it in English, but have a different font and/or footnote to make it stand out, b) turn it into French, which keeps the foreignness while also keeping it easy to understand ("Sacre Bleu! Magnifique!"), or c) go deep nerd and try to come up with something in Greek because she's a Greek nymph who serves a Greek goddess.

I think all three choices have good reasons (for example, she is wearing an American flag so English kinda makes sense), but right now I'm leaning towards French. Possibly because I just played Bravely Second. Any other thoughts? For the record, I don't know Greek at all, so that'd be kind of tough in that sense.
Options b and c would be really obnoxious. Do a, there is really no other good way.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Yeah, what Batman said. I'd prefer the font method since TL notes are Literally The (Scarlet) Devil.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I use like half a dozen fonts for each chapter. I'm not sure what font means "this is in English" so clearly that everyone can tell.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Clarste posted:

I use like half a dozen fonts for each chapter. I'm not sure what font means "this is in English" so clearly that everyone can tell.

use comic sans ms
it's what mima would do

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
You don't need to go to Jokerman lengths but something that looks a bit exaggerated should be fine.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Google "stars and stripes font". Pick one.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Y'know, you'd expect it to be funny, but it actually just looks really ugly:

A more reasonable option?

I dunno, it's definitely emphasized but it doesn't scream "I am speaking in English even though I was speaking Japanese on the previous page!" to me. Is that even the goal?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 26, 2016

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
How about an exaggerated accent, like Waow, Waandaafaal!

... actually, no. A thousand times no.

e: Although you could play up the Americanisms, I guess. 'I declare!' or something.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 26, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, it's on batoto now. The final result is just leaving it in English in a different font (not that font) and no footnote or anything. If I come up with something better later I'll just make a version 2.

... Visionary Fairies in Shrine chapter 02. In which the fairies recruit Clownpiece for their latest nefarious plan.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that Youmu is canonically an angry drunk.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The scene where they keep drinking and chatting while Youmu is swinging a sword at them is pretty funny, but I wonder if it could have been much better with an artist more accustomed to action scenes. I feel like it's more intellectually funny than viscerally funny, which is odd for a slapstick moment.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
A true daughter of Nox would not care for the surface, and would be content in the embrace of the Cthonic waters.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

There's just something fundamentally weird about Clownpiece talking about others being insanely strong when everyone would remember her as the absurdly powerful one.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

a cartoon duck posted:

There's just something fundamentally weird about Clownpiece talking about others being insanely strong when everyone would remember her as the absurdly powerful one.

Typical American self-persecution.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Maybe Junko's purification thing wore off after she moved to Gensokyo, so she's just a normal (hell) fairy again.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Clarste posted:

A more reasonable option?

That looks good enough. Another option would be to mask the american flag on top of the letters directly, but you'd probably need to make them huge for it to look cheesy enough good.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The 3 fairies of light are kind of abnormal, aren't they? The artist mentioned it (in a non-canon, doujin work) but they have a fully furnished house. Clownpiece spent the winter underground like some sort of rodent.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

HellCopter posted:

The 3 fairies of light are kind of abnormal, aren't they? The artist mentioned it (in a non-canon, doujin work) but they have a fully furnished house. Clownpiece spent the winter underground like some sort of rodent.

Fairies live in stuff like flowers and other nature things, and Cirno had her igloo hut, but we haven't seen the interior of any other fairy's home so it's hard to say how much different those would be compared to the trio. Fairies also don't need to eat but the three of them still cook, eat meals, drink coffee like people so maybe they act more human like than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I think Luna's been described as the most "human like" of the three but gently caress if I know what that means