Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy website already has open box models lol

As someone who worked at a Best Buy years ago, this is the opposite of surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BottleKnight posted:

As someone who worked at a Best Buy years ago, this is the opposite of surprising.

I did retail for several years, I’m not shocked that are returns already either.
I was just surprised they got repacked and up on the Best Buy website for purchase so quickly.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I've started to get a very odd thing happen with my iPad Pro.

When the smart keyboard is attached, I'll often get the sound that you'd normally hear when you out the iPad on charge. It seems pretty constant.

The iPad isn't plugged in, and when I disconnect the keyboard the noise doesn't happen.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so know how to fix it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

Anyone switch from an Air 2 to a 2018 and notice the apparent increase in size and weight?

Anyone regret upgrading for any other reason?

As in thickness? That's a shame. I'm trading my air 2 in once the tradeup box arrives

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

As in thickness? That's a shame. I'm trading my air 2 in once the tradeup box arrives

I traded for the pencil support but here are a few things I did notice that others may care about :

-It’s like a mm thicker, which is noticeable.
-It’s like 40g heavier, which is noticeable.
-The screen isn’t laminated or whatever they call it. This equates to it being very reflective and loud when you tap on it. Pencils make a downright click sound on this glass. It also looks a little sunken into the bezel and not as flush as the pro.
-Everything runs smoother.
-The pencil support is awesome and it works very well. I can doodle with Procreate while Netflix plays in the corner, I like that.

Overall I’m glad I traded, the negatives are only that noticeable because I’ve been using my Air 2 every day since they came out and would notice any slight change. I also don’t use mine outside so being reflective isn’t a big deal. If you don’t care about pencil support or games that need higher benchmarks, maybe go try one in the store first.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Latino Pete posted:

When the smart keyboard is attached, I'll often get the sound that you'd normally hear when you out the iPad on charge. It seems pretty constant.

The iPad isn't plugged in, and when I disconnect the keyboard the noise doesn't happen.

Try cleaning the iPad and keyboard as much as you can to make sure there's nothing obstructing the Smart Connector.

An acquaintance's iPhone does that almost every night when she leaves it to charge because Apple cables are garbage, and her port is probably also dirty or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone know if Apple expects a charging brick and lightning cable if I bring in an iPad to trade?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

I traded for the pencil support but here are a few things I did notice that others may care about :

-The screen isn’t laminated or whatever they call it. This equates to it being very reflective and loud when you tap on it. Pencils make a downright click sound on this glass. It also looks a little sunken into the bezel and not as flush as the pro.
-Everything runs smoother.
-The pencil support is awesome and it works very well. I can doodle with Procreate while Netflix plays in the corner, I like that.

Overall I’m glad I traded, the negatives are only that noticeable because I’ve been using my Air 2 every day since they came out and would notice any slight change. I also don’t use mine outside so being reflective isn’t a big deal. If you don’t care about pencil support or games that need higher benchmarks, maybe go try one in the store first.

This is a great post, thanks.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

Anyone know if Apple expects a charging brick and lightning cable if I bring in an iPad to trade?

Pretty the instructions are you can keep the accessories.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endless Mike posted:

Nope. I traded my iPad Air 2 only, got 180 bucks and now have an extra charger.

Also the Smart Cover of the Air 2 works on the new iPad so that was another 40 bones saved.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Nope. I traded my iPad Air 2 only, got 180 bucks and now have an extra charger.

Also the Smart Cover of the Air 2 works on the new iPad so that was another 40 bones saved.

Awesome. News I can use. Gonna stop by DA FROOT STAND after dropping my brother off at the airport.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

God drat the iPad Pros are expensive in Ireland, they're the equivalent of $920 for the base 10" version :eyepop:

You can get two of the new base models for the price of a base Pro :stare:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Proportion wise it’s the same in the US. 329 vs 649.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rolo posted:

After the Air 2, they basically went back to the Air 1 body. The mute/lock switch is gone and the camera and volume buttons shifted a little, but the dimensions and separated display (though the new LCD is brighter than the Air 1's) are the same.

Presumably it was to cut costs, since they started selling them cheaper with the 2017 model, and the Air 2 screens are pretty expensive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's the camera on the new iPad like? Compared to say, iPhones, which model is it the equivalent of or is it a new part?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

What's the camera on the new iPad like? Compared to say, iPhones, which model is it the equivalent of or is it a new part?

The 2018 iPad's camera is similar to the one in the Air 2 and iPhone 6.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

God drat the iPad Pros are expensive in Ireland, they're the equivalent of $920 for the base 10" version :eyepop:

You can get two of the new base models for the price of a base Pro :stare:
Yeah, it's really annoying for people like my mom who just want a "bigger iPad". Seems like an oversight to not just provide devices based on sizes instead of expensive features, but that's just coming from someone who liked iPad Mini and iPhone 5S/SE I guess. :smith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Latino Pete posted:

The exact same thing happens to me, the battery icon even pops briefly on screen. Insanely annoying
Anyway can't wait to see the pro revisions this year because I might spring for the 12 inch version

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How much of an upgrade performance wise am I getting going from an Air 1 to Gen 6? Im thinking this ipad is sort of showing its age sometimes when I'm browsing, have a tone of tabs open and have to constantly reload them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Massive upgrade processor wise.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How much of an upgrade performance wise am I getting going from an Air 1 to Gen 6? Im thinking this ipad is sort of showing its age sometimes when I'm browsing, have a tone of tabs open and have to constantly reload them.

This page can compare the iPhone 7 which has the same CPU to the iPad Air 1
https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

Looking about 2x+ on CPU performance

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, def going to get one tomorrow if the exchange happens to have them. If not I'll order one online after I get back, going from 1GB of ram to 2 plus that massive of an improvement to the processor should be enough to justify it. My mom is still rocking a Gen 2 so she'll be happy to get my hand me down.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You also get touchID which is great!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My iPad Air was my last passcode-only device. Traded it in at DA FROOT STAND today for $130 and got an The New iPad 2018. Form factor is basically identical minus the audio switch, and it has TouchID, and it'll actually get updated past November, so seems like a good buy for $200. (Also nabbed some AirPods and an orange leather iPhone case. Jury is still out on how I feel about the AirPods comfort-wise, but I can definitely see their convenience.)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endless Mike posted:

My iPad Air was my last passcode-only device. Traded it in at DA FROOT STAND today for $130 and got an The New iPad 2018. Form factor is basically identical minus the audio switch, and it has TouchID, and it'll actually get updated past November, so seems like a good buy for $200. (Also nabbed some AirPods and an orange leather iPhone case. Jury is still out on how I feel about the AirPods comfort-wise, but I can definitely see their convenience.)

Da Froot Staaaaand.

AirPods are awesome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

AirPods are awesome.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Traded in the smallest iPad and walked out with the largest.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

AirPods are awesome.

Yes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Traded in the smallest iPad and walked out with the largest.

Baller :c00l:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So if I am just casually iPad guy should I trade my air 2 to get a new iPad.

I suppose the new iPad will get iOS updates for longer?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheReverend posted:

I'm in a similar situation. I have the air 2 and the main reason I want to trade is for storage. The one I have only has 16gb and it's a nightmare to use when I have to keep deleting apps and clearing the cache.
The new one has an inferior screen but a beefier professor.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
Bought my wife a new ipad (ipad 5 I guess?) this Christmas after her mini bit the dust. However she's starting some college classes soon and I think the pencil would be great for her for note taking. The apple site doesn't list it as part of the trade in program probably because it's too soon? What sort of trade in value can I expect?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Frankenfinger posted:

Bought my wife a new ipad (ipad 5 I guess?) this Christmas after her mini bit the dust. However she's starting some college classes soon and I think the pencil would be great for her for note taking. The apple site doesn't list it as part of the trade in program probably because it's too soon? What sort of trade in value can I expect?

At least 180, that’s what I got for my Air 2, 64GB WiFi Only. Prolly closer to 220?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheReverend posted:

I'd hold off for the next one, personally. It'll at least iOS 12 and I wouldn't be too shocked if it got iOS 13 given it was really, really powerful at launch.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I got a pencil at the fruit stand today in attempt to encourage me to write and draw more. Any recommended cases? The Apple ones looked not great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Apple case, Smart Keyboard cover for the perfect iPad.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Dugong posted:

I got a pencil at the fruit stand today in attempt to encourage me to write and draw more. Any recommended cases? The Apple ones looked not great.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Apple case, Smart Keyboard cover for the perfect iPad.

Put one of these on your pencil, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ26RBR/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , and stick it on the smart cover. Works great.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 4, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I bought a knockoff ipad/pencil sleeve case on eBay. Fits the iPad with Smart Cover and pencil just fine
And didn't cost me 150$.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This was recommended by the guy at Apple when I asked if their 30 dollar case connected to the iPad somehow or actually did anything:

https://www.stylussling.com/product...XhoCk9sQAvD_BwE

It even holds the little charging attachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

This was recommended by the guy at Apple when I asked if their 30 dollar case connected to the iPad somehow or actually did anything:

https://www.stylussling.com/product...XhoCk9sQAvD_BwE

It even holds the little charging attachment.

That's a joke, right?

WTF am I talking about, it's something suggested at an Apple store. It's a bargain getting that much elastic for $25.

I bought a wool sleeve for $20 that I'll just toss my Pencil in with my new iPad.