Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Sometimes I get a game in the mail that really makes me question my choice in hobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nice. Should be getting that soon. We should do one of the Med OCSes as a goon pbem/pbp/vassal game.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

al-azad posted:

So I'm confused by the "solo playability" rating on a lot of boxes, particularly with games that don't advertise that they're solo. How is this not a binary yes/no? If a game is, say, 7/10 on the solo-scale is that saying it's easier for me to play both sides against myself than say a 4/10 on the solo-scale? What are the friendly factors for solo?

Games with hidden information specific to players are hardest to solo, with how much hidden info present making it even harder. A game like Napoleon's Triumph or Sekigahara--block games with hidden sides--would be a 1 or 2 out of 9 on a solo scale. Games with bots and solo support would be highest ideal of course, but games where there's no hidden player information and the turns are "i-go, u-go" so you don't have to suddenly pretend to be a different side all the time are very easy to play both sides.

So, in short, hidden information and playing different sides in shorter bursts make a hard solo game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is there any reason to get We the People with Washington's War? I know the latter is an update by the creator but sometimes re-implementations change things that didn't need changing and detract from the final work *coughLucas*

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
OCS Tunisia: A Goon Army at Dawn Staff game

Why don't we start small with the Kasserine pass scenario before we try the campaign game? Me and Tekopo are both up for it anyone else?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Trynant posted:

Games with hidden information specific to players are hardest to solo, with how much hidden info present making it even harder. A game like Napoleon's Triumph or Sekigahara--block games with hidden sides--would be a 1 or 2 out of 9 on a solo scale. Games with bots and solo support would be highest ideal of course, but games where there's no hidden player information and the turns are "i-go, u-go" so you don't have to suddenly pretend to be a different side all the time are very easy to play both sides.

So, in short, hidden information and playing different sides in shorter bursts make a hard solo game.

I like how "and you don't need other people" it's a selling point for wargames.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

Why don't we start small with the Kasserine pass scenario before we try the campaign game? Me and Tekopo are both up for it anyone else?

Hi yes hello, count me in for any OCS goon game!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm in OFC

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

tomdidiot posted:

I'm game!

Are we going to do a LP thread, or do it here?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think we should just place it in the game room here in TG.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I know nothing about OCS and have a shitload of work until at least mid-January, so yes, sign me up, fam.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Can complete newbies sign up? TGD plays seem really cool to get into wargames.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'll set up the thread when I get back home. You will need vassal to play.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I've set up the thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802373

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just received DAK! :woop:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Just received DAK! :woop:

:hfive:

The intro scenario only uses one map, I'm hoping to set it up after Christmas.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

:hfive:

The intro scenario only uses one map, I'm hoping to set it up after Christmas.
Did you get DAK or DAK2?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Did you get DAK or DAK2?

DAK, I'm not made of money

But I printed out the latest OCS rules and the DAK2 rules, apparently the pieces are interchangeable, just a different color.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Rapid-Onset Grognardism: A Cautionary Tale

1. Man Reluctant Enemies is fun, I'm glad I have Tunisia 2 already so I can play something bigger afterwards
2. Hey Sicily 2 is a one-map game, I should get it (and Last Blitzkrieg!). I'll restrain myself from buying The Blitzkrieg Legend, no need to be hasty.
3. Hey this guy on BGG has both Burma and Baltic Gap for non-horrific prices, better get those While I Still Can.
4. Dang I really like this, I guess I probably will end up getting The Blitzkrieg Legend and Beyond The Rhine (though there's no way I can fit the campaign for that)
5. Huh, I just figured out how to rearrange my bedroom to fit a 4x6 table
6. Oh hey goon OCS game
7. You know it would be silly to get just TBL and BTR, might as well get Korea and GB2 While I Still Can. (Note: This step not executed yet, but my brainparts have pretty much committed themselves)
8. Well that pretty much just leaves two 4.0 OCS games, but I'd never fit them
9. Hmm this guy on BGG has both DAK2 and Case Blue for less than everybody else, I wonder if he would cut a deal for both
10. To Be Continued.....

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Did you get DAK or DAK2?

Wait, which did you get?

I need to know if I should be jealous or not.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Wait, which did you get?

DAK

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

Wait, which did you get?

I got DAK2. $200 shipped. Like New, unpunched.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

tomdidiot posted:

Don't worry, next time I see you, it won't be the only thing that's punched.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

tomdidiot posted:

I can't believe I just saw $200 as the price for a game and went "dang that's a good price" and "would"

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Question for the grogmind: Are there any decent games about precolonial Latin America and/or the Spanish Conquest? The only one I've found with a cursory search is Cortes: Conquest of the Aztec Empire, which seems to have strongly mixed opinions.

Basically I've been having visions of a COINalike multiplayer game in my head, and figured I'd ask for obvious game-bibliography material before I dedicate the next ten years of my life to researching and designing it.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Gutter Owl posted:

Question for the grogmind: Are there any decent games about precolonial Latin America and/or the Spanish Conquest? The only one I've found with a cursory search is Cortes: Conquest of the Aztec Empire, which seems to have strongly mixed opinions.

Basically I've been having visions of a COINalike multiplayer game in my head, and figured I'd ask for obvious game-bibliography material before I dedicate the next ten years of my life to researching and designing it.

It's a subject that hasn't gotten much attention, sadly. AFAIK there's never really been a COIN-like game on the topic. With that said--

Conquistador is the old standard. Emphasis on old. There was a reprint in the works at one point.

If you understand Spanish more options open up. Alea Magazine has had some conquest era material for example.

Beyond that try hitting up geek lists. (Here's another). There have been a fair number of South American publishers producing odd little one-off games. They might have something but availability would be an issue.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I swear when I win the lottery I'll start a company that makes wargames for all the forgotten conflicts.

Like China has been in more wars than any other nation today and kept detailed census figures for millennia. Why is it so difficult to find a Chinese tactical or strategic game??

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

al-azad posted:

I swear when I win the lottery I'll start a company that makes wargames for all the forgotten conflicts.

Like China has been in more wars than any other nation today and kept detailed census figures for millennia. Why is it so difficult to find a Chinese tactical or strategic game??

The answer you'll usually get is that Stalingrad/Gettysburg/Bulge sells and Siege of Kazan doesn't. So a lot of it would come down to what the audience is after.

Some of it would also be that some conflicts just wouldn't be all that workable to put on a table. For example, really lopsided or unlikely victories or stuff for which there isn't any reliable information on.

I agree that there's all sorts of history out there getting overlooked. Makes things kind of dry in the hobby sometimes. If you're after an oddball topic usually the best bet is to start working through magazine-game catalogs. There's some fun ones out there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Having lived in Kazan I would love any wargame set there. I'm just happy when it actually shows up on a large-scale game map.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
There's a poo poo ton of content that could be transformed into really good war games in East Asia alone. I mean, we have like what one game for the Mongolian conquests from GMT? And I think it has all of about four scenarios in it.

Personally, I was tossing around an idea for a warring states political-military game similar to Here I Stand (could never decide if I wanted to go with Warring States China or Warring States Japan or even competing kingdoms in medieval India) but then realized that way lies madness and didn't really do much with it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you want to become a millionaire, start a games company as a billionaire :v:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The sad truth is that, if the USA didn't win the war, the game will be a hard sell.

I've deliberately tried to build a diverse collection and I still have 3 times as many WW2 games as any other setting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

There's a poo poo ton of content that could be transformed into really good war games in East Asia alone. I mean, we have like what one game for the Mongolian conquests from GMT? And I think it has all of about four scenarios in it.

Personally, I was tossing around an idea for a warring states political-military game similar to Here I Stand (could never decide if I wanted to go with Warring States China or Warring States Japan or even competing kingdoms in medieval India) but then realized that way lies madness and didn't really do much with it.

I'm already deeply entrenched in the madness of designing a Warring States Japan game. Right now it's a question of "where do I want to focus this?" and the answer is "everywhere" with a Maria-esque split map of west-Honshu/Shikoku and east-Honshu/Hokkaido. But it's even more frustrating deciding how many players would be interesting and what daimyo have the least conflicting interest to be played by the same player and it's a logistical nightmare.

Now if you did a Here I Stand/Virgin Queen 10 hour monster based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms you have at least one person who would spend money on it.

e: I wonder how many of the hardcore gamers are tactical as opposed to strategic. I feel like strategic games have more room to be abstract and ahistorical which makes them more accessible in general. But whenever I read criticism about them, particularly the card driven games, it's always how dumb/boring/whatever the conflict is from someone who rated Campaign for North Africa a 10. Like one review of Triumph and Tragedy blasted it because trying to recreate the historical movements of WWII would take like 20 in-game years.

I don't know how much of the audience is that but it's enough that I take notice.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 23, 2016

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

al-azad posted:

I'm already deeply entrenched in the madness of designing a Warring States Japan game. Right now it's a question of "where do I want to focus this?" and the answer is "everywhere" with a Maria-esque split map of west-Honshu/Shikoku and east-Honshu/Hokkaido. But it's even more frustrating deciding how many players would be interesting and what daimyo have the least conflicting interest to be played by the same player and it's a logistical nightmare.

Now if you did a Here I Stand/Virgin Queen 10 hour monster based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms you have at least one person who would spend money on it.

e: I wonder how many of the hardcore gamers are tactical as opposed to strategic. I feel like strategic games have more room to be abstract and ahistorical which makes them more accessible in general. But whenever I read criticism about them, particularly the card driven games, it's always how dumb/boring/whatever the conflict is. Like one review of Triumph and Tragedy blasted it because trying to recreate the historical movements of WWII would take like 20 in-game years.

I don't know how much of the audience is that but it's enough that I take notice.

I find that my interest in Tac/Op/Strategic varies heavily based on which period I'm doing. I have almost no interest in Operational/Strategic ancients, but love Tactical ancients. LIkewise, I'm very interested in Tactical and Operational Age of Reason/Napoleonics, but hate the strategic layer. World War II and later - little interest in tactial and limited interest in strategic, but huge interest in the operational layer.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

CNA isn't a tactical game though. Tactical gamers are either: diehard ASLers (read freaks) or fans of Combat Commander/BoB/Company of Heroes etc. CNA is an operational level game, which is still different from strategical level games like T&T et al.

I always feel like there are equal numbers of operational/strategical/tactical level gamers, and there is lots of intermixing, but there are hardcore grognards that like just their level of wargaming and nothing else, and do endless whinefests on BGG on what is and isn't a wargame. And also the tactical wargamers bitching amongst themselves in order to decide if ASL or CC are better approximations of something that is impossible to approximate accurately.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All I know is that it's the same kind of person who calls COIN games Euros and scoffs at anything that doesn't have a combat result table. I was reading a review by one guy who instantly dismisses anything that uses battle cards.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I hate all gatekeepers with a fiery passion.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Very nearly every person participating in wargames discussion on BGG is completely insufferable.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

al-azad posted:

e: I wonder how many of the hardcore gamers are tactical as opposed to strategic. I feel like strategic games have more room to be abstract and ahistorical which makes them more accessible in general. But whenever I read criticism about them, particularly the card driven games, it's always how dumb/boring/whatever the conflict is from someone who rated Campaign for North Africa a 10. Like one review of Triumph and Tragedy blasted it because trying to recreate the historical movements of WWII would take like 20 in-game years.

Okay well in my case it was going to be strategic in the strongest sense because you're playing for victory over the other states. I was planning for card-driven because I think that's about the best way to handle things for this situation and for some God-forsaken reason I was trying to give it a pseduo-deck builder drive to it. My reasoning being that I wanted to show the changes in warfare, politics, and economies so as the game progressed you'd be able to 'reserve' cards from a separate deck that you could use every round to represent the development of technology, strategic resources, veteran troops and commanders, 'minor power' allies, capable statesmen, etc. Thankfully I came to my senses.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

Okay well in my case it was going to be strategic in the strongest sense because you're playing for victory over the other states. I was planning for card-driven because I think that's about the best way to handle things for this situation and for some God-forsaken reason I was trying to give it a pseduo-deck builder drive to it. My reasoning being that I wanted to show the changes in warfare, politics, and economies so as the game progressed you'd be able to 'reserve' cards from a separate deck that you could use every round to represent the development of technology, strategic resources, veteran troops and commanders, 'minor power' allies, capable statesmen, etc. Thankfully I came to my senses.

Have you played Concordia? It's a neat spin on the concept of "deck building" where your entire deck is your hand and at any time you can retrieve your discard. There are cards that let your opponents play off the top card in your discard and generally whenever someone benefits then everyone else does as well so some strategy comes from waiting out your opponents to play the card you want to copy while also waiting out your discard retrieval so you can sneak in on other people's territory.

It could be neat in a CDG format where you're balancing beneficial events and opponent's events on the same card. Say that your opponent could trigger the negative event on your top card. Retrieving your hand in Concordia lets you expand so in a strategic sense it could be your kingdom reorganizing, advancing technology, basically passing time in an abstract way.

I like deck builders from a distance but I want to get far away from the Dominion DNA. I'm looking at Hands in the Sea thinking it looks cool but then it name drops A Few Acres of Snow and I just know it's not for me!