Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kind of slowly trying more fighting games. I'm trying to get better at Abel. I do okay against similar melee-heavy characters like Makoto, but I tend to struggle against really good spacers like Seth. Abel's lack of a fast jab or meterless defensive option is also a bit annoying at time, but I guess one just has to suck it up and learn to just block well?

I've also played around with Juri and Fuerte, which re fun enough but have the same defensive problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Himuro posted:

gently caress YOU, SETH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=innH3m66FZc

I'm fighting Jebeebus' Seth here. Yes, I know I hit confirm on the rekka. No, at the time I didn't care. If my head were fully in the game, I feel like I could have beaten him. I made a lot of stupid calls. I'll get you eventually.
First round was alright, however you walked yourself into the corner for no reason. And in the second round when you had him in the corner you backed off.
I guess you want to get back to neutral? But to keep corner control you don't have to do much. I think stHP distance should be a good place to stand as poison.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Spuckuk posted:

You could go the silent stick/silent buttons approach. Though the stick is kinda pricey and it requires some (easy) modding.

I enjoyed the little goon sessions I got to play (especially against Zing, that made me improve hella fast.) so I think I'm just gonna drop the cash for the Hayabusa Silent when I get paid - Problem is, the cheapest UK option seems to be about £150, which is loving pricy.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Doggboat posted:

First round was alright, however you walked yourself into the corner for no reason. And in the second round when you had him in the corner you backed off.
I guess you want to get back to neutral? But to keep corner control you don't have to do much. I think stHP distance should be a good place to stand as poison.

Right. I noticed it too.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Shockeh posted:

I enjoyed the little goon sessions I got to play (especially against Zing, that made me improve hella fast.) so I think I'm just gonna drop the cash for the Hayabusa Silent when I get paid - Problem is, the cheapest UK option seems to be about £150, which is loving pricy.

It is, but the stick on its own comes in at close to fifty quid. Would cost you close to that to make your own mod stick.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Since you are kind of defensive at your level one aspect to consider about your play is that you are playing to get grinded out imo. You force no mistakes from Fei Long but he punishes yours. A thing you will always see in Street Fighter at many levels of play is a player who is wildly unpredictable but can also stop hitting buttons or doing things when necessary has a much wider skill range when matching up with people than the guy who is text book slow playing everything. You might beat someone a bit worse than you very consistently but someone better will also always beat you, its incredibly honest.

If you took this same Fei Long and instead of down-backing and hitting sweep whenever he enters your general zone you just jumped at him with hard punch(Don't use medium kick unless you are crossing up) over and over and tried to confirm a big combo you would probably have more success. Not saying this is a long term way to go, but more that you have to realize you are respecting his ability to anti-air and his ability to handle jab/throw/string pressure. In this particular match your biggest flaw given not changing up the gameplay style was not punishing 2nd hits of rekka. You can just mash HP dragon punch or try to do c.lp, c.mp(or hp) x tatsu if its point blank blocked.

I'm going to assume your technical ability is kinda low due to the very out of place c.hp's and reliance on sweep but if you really want to take your cautious and slow style to the next level you need to do the following things: Instead of max range sweeps when someone approaches your zone or has shallow jumped at you, throw a fireball. If they seem focus happy throw an EX Fireball. Crouch mk x fireball more until you are shown they will focus the FB or mash an invincible move thru it. Get used to resetting the spacing with a jump back or backdash then going back to trying to safely throw a fireball, this stops people from gaming your patterns and movement and is honestly one of the hardest things to really master in the game. But the idea is that when you have space to move backwards you will use it to force errors like jumps, walking into fireballs or erroneous special moves from them for "free" damage. It is the fundamental of zoning in Street Fighter as no one can perfectly work around a fireball character in a neutral situation without guessing with a jump.

A final note on sweep: Sure it seems awesome its very long range on a character without any other long range moves. The problem is that it is incredibly unsafe, doesn't do a ton of damage. If you land a sweep the key to its use in SF4 is that you can safely mixup the other character. These range from incredibly simple to very technical, but by not doing anything off your connected sweeps you are giving up a lot of potential damage and you will need to put a little time and effort into making sure you start to do that. ALSO since you use it a lot, think about trying other characters. Ryu is pretty limited in 4, sure he's a jack of all trades but he is kind of advanced, you will be surprised how well you can do taking your skill of hitting a long range button whnever someone walks into its field to another character.

Awesome advice, thanks. Like you say, I've moved towards a conservative low-variance gameplan as I've been trying to build fundamentals.

Are there any basic mixups to learn off a knockdown with Ryu? I mostly try to bait reversals. I hear things like meaties and jump-in crossups talked about but don't know specifics with Ryu.

Chun Li has good long range normals right? I may try learning her just to get practice with multiple characters. I also lose to Dudley a lot so should probably figure out how he plays.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Spuckuk posted:

It is, but the stick on its own comes in at close to fifty quid. Would cost you close to that to make your own mod stick.

I'd have to do buttons too on my TE, so it's probably still cheaper to buy the Hori outright.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Booyah- posted:

Chun Li has good long range normals right? I may try learning her

Oh please don't do that to yourself. Play Rose instead, who has really great long range normals like Chun but is actually good and is way easier to use.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
We don't need another Rose goon player! Go with Chun!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Chun is cooler than Rose I don't think anyone will disagree with me on that one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jmcrofts posted:

Chun is cooler than Rose I don't think anyone will disagree with me on that one.

I don't play Chun or Rose, but I too think Chun is cooler than Rose. :respek:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jmcrofts posted:

I disagree with you on that one.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
They are equally awesome shut up

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Jmcrofts posted:

Cooler, yes. But is she better?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
elphelt is actually the best thanks

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Sarchasm posted:

Cooler, yes. But is she better?

Not even close but who cares?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chun is arguably cooler than Rose vut Rose is way WAY easier to win with.
Pick what's more important to you, I guess.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

im home from work around 1:30am EST tonight if anyone wants to run some endless for a bit.
I will be drinking.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

ALSO since you use it a lot, think about trying other characters. Ryu is pretty limited in 4, sure he's a jack of all trades but he is kind of advanced, you will be surprised how well you can do taking your skill of hitting a long range button whnever someone walks into its field to another character.

Just wanna point out how good this post is, and also that it's from a dude that doesn't post in these threads all that often but I can confirm really knows his poo poo. He posted babby's-first-Ryu info back in vanilla SF4 threads that helped me when I was first learning to be a hobo.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

hello friends. i play this game on the computer feel free to fight me. i am in texas and i'm currently trying to learn akuma. thank you and god bless. http://steamcommunity.com/id/A_Kobold/

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

Booooo! Also, I think Rose is both easier to play and win as, and more fun to boot, hehe. I'd recommend her over Chun, unless you like pianos.

edit misread a thing

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Trykt posted:

Just wanna point out how good this post is, and also that it's from a dude that doesn't post in these threads all that often but I can confirm really knows his poo poo. He posted babby's-first-Ryu info back in vanilla SF4 threads that helped me when I was first learning to be a hobo.

Back before you betrayed the Old Man cause!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Going to my first local event tonight. It's not SFIV only but it's a free play Friday and there will undoubtedly SFIV there. There's also an SFIV tourney later this month. I've never entered a fighting game tourney. I know I won't win, but if I brush up on my tactics and play, I think can do something I'm proud of.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 20, 2015

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

Going to my first local event tonight. It's not SFIV only but it's a free play Friday and there will undoubtedly SFIV there. There's also an SFIV tourney later this month. I've never entered a fighting game tourney. I know I won't win, but if I brush up on my tactics and play, I think can do something I'm proud of.

You should just be happy that you're going to a local event.

You're going to become a person who (sometimes, and probably correctly) blames lag for your losses and never plays online again. If you're reading this post and wondering 'is that fucker talking about me?' THE ANSWER IS YES POMP

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
You're gonna be shocked at how much better competitive fighting games feel when played offline. Play as many games as possible! Even if you get KO'd in the first round there'll always be somebody looking for friendlies.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Sade posted:

You're gonna be shocked at how much better competitive fighting games feel when played offline. Play as many games as possible! Even if you get KO'd in the first round there'll always be somebody looking for friendlies.

Had a real good time at my local last night. Managed to put the hurt on a few guys legit better than me and even force a character change a time or two. When I came back home I decided to run a few ranked matches to see if I could apply what I had learned, and immediately walked into three fireballs in the first match.

gently caress the Internet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jmcrofts posted:

Chun-Li sucks and is dumb

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Foodahn posted:

You should just be happy that you're going to a local event.

You're going to become a person who (sometimes, and probably correctly) blames lag for your losses and never plays online again. If you're reading this post and wondering 'is that fucker talking about me?' THE ANSWER IS YES POMP

You try instant blocking online :colbert:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baal posted:

Chun-Li sucks and is dumb

Nobody should ever need anything but 5mp, 2hk, airthrow, empty jump low and tick throws

Pomp fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 21, 2015

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Pomp posted:

Nobody should ever need anything but 5mp, 2hk, airthrow, empty jump low and tick throws

Ah yes, the Brollylegs method.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Trykt posted:

Ah yes, the Brollylegs method.

Hey, if a guy with no fine motor control can win like that, it should be almost doable for us scrubs.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Sarchasm posted:

Hugo's inputs are weirdly picky. For example, Gief can do a spinning piledriver with F, DF, D, DB, B, UB + P. Hugo needs all of that plus a neutral up input. Gief can also SPD off of any four cardinal inputs (U, D, B, F) in any order with a punch button, handy for keyboard and Hitbox users. That shortcut isn't available to Hugo either.

Why?

:shrug:

I just did some practice on clapping, and you're right. Unless I either input the button on or just after I hit the cardinal, it'll (usually) do a crouching normal.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I ended up going. It was...different from how I expected. The SFIV guys were the most stuck up guys there. BlazBlue, SF3TS, Mortal Kombat, even the guys playing anime games were all pretty chill and we had some fun games. But those SF4 guys. Say hello and they just look at you. I need to keep looking for a good local SF4 group it seems. I didn't get to play single minute of SF4 tonight, which was the entire reason I came.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Where are you located? If you're in the bay area, I'll get together and play with you; it would be fun to play games with people that I don't work with.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The Bigot Star State of Texas.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Himuro posted:

The Bigot Star State of Texas.

The recent big USF4 event in Texas didn't pay out the winners what they were told (was $40k in winnings) and ended up closing shop. Maybe the Texan FGC is poo poo. Condolences. :(

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 21, 2015

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Texas is a biiiiiig place. Who knows! I'm not really finding any google results for any cool SF4 local hang outs aside from that place so I'm poo poo outta luck. :shrug: At least until SFV comes out.

It used to be a lot easier with arcades still kicking but Planet Zero is long gone.

edit:

lol Talked to bud who suggested me the place. Straight from his mouth: "Yeah, sadly. Most of the sf4 guys are close knit and if you ain't poo poo, they kinda shun you. Houston's not a very good scene in terms of community-fying. They have cliques like loving highschool. Just sign up at a tournament and show what you got."

I now have renewed energy to do okay in this tournament. Would love to give it to some snot nosed douchebag who can't say "sup" when spoken to.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 21, 2015

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Cracking into a local scene can be kinda tough. If there's a Facebook group or the like you can usually find a way in from there. Just rocking up and being there isn't always enough, doubly so if there's etiquette you're not familiar with.

In Sydney we usually just run best 2 of 3 sets for casuals, winner stays, but not everyone knows and sometimes we have to give newbies The Talk

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Himuro, hit me up on steam anytime today and we can play a big set. Then we can do some online training mode and I'll try to show you the most important things to work on.

Sorry you had a lovely first experience with your locals :(

I gotta say I find that surprising, every group I've met so far has been incredibly welcoming and usually excited to play with new people. That's including groups from Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, and lots of places around North Carolina (where I live). Usually fighting game people are sensitive to the fact that it's not an incredibly popular genre and can be really frustrating to stick with even if you're really interested in it.

Anyway, if I can help you bop those guys, I will!

edit: I won't be around in the evening, going to a big sort of party thing

Trykt fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
If it's prime time, when all the good players are at your arcade, then good players won't want to "waste" their time there playing someone who isn't good. This sounds worse than it is, I'm explaining it poorly.

That is usually a very limited time period, like "the night" that people show up to play SF4. This is further compounded if your arcade doesn't have many sf4 setups.

In Austin we have a dope arcade, I'm very spoiled. You can get games at almost any time.

edit- If its some kind of house ranbat situation, with people I don't know, I bring good beer and parlay that into getting good games.

FGs are peculiar, in that its boring for good players to beat up people who aren't good. So you usually need to endear yourself in some way to get those games.

Also, there is a kind of weird competitive edge in the air. This is hard to explain, and doesn't make much sense if you are used to like magic or board games. I think a good example illustrating this, would be if someone that nobody knows comes into a ranbat/arcade and beats the local best player. Immediately you'll have a crowd and a line of people wanting a piece of you. They might get fiesty too! I'm making this sound like a bigger deal than it is, I'm just saying Fighting Games Are A Little Different.

It is a great idea to begin playing live locally with a tournament, right off the bat. That way you get games with alot of people, whether they want to or not. And afterwards, people will typically warm up to you.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 21, 2015

• Locked thread