Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah reading stories of Canadian cops dropping drunks off at the edge of town so they can freeze to death is some spooky poo poo
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/05/13/starlight_tours_saskatoon_maybe_aboriginals_like_alvin_cote_don_t_have_it.html
I'd never even considered the possibility, possibly because I don't really live in an area where winter manifests itself like that. It'd be so weird to live in a place where getting drunk could possibly mean accidental (or intentional) death by exposure to the elements

quote:

In a television interview, Sabo further admitted that starlight tours had “happened more than once, and we fully admit that and, in fact, on behalf of the police department, I want to apologize. It’s quite conceivable there were other times. I think it’s important we take ownership when we do something wrong and correct the behavior.”

I love how he makes it sound so bland. "We're the police and we were more or less murdering drunk people but we know it's wrong now and we're very sorry, honest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SamLikesCake posted:

Another great example is the horrible abuse that was commonplace in residential schools. Often the places were absolutely riddled with TB and other diseases and there was no attempt to quarantine. When the kids would die, they were buried on school property and forgotten. Sometimes their parents wouldn't even be notified. Keep in mind... This wasn't something that happened a long time ago. This poo poo was going down into the 1970's at least.

The final residential school was closed in 1996. Literally everyone in this thread was alive when the Canadian government was carrying out a genocide.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

crowoutofcontext posted:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2009/02/wales-suicides200902

"Cluster suicide experts"

For me multiple or communal suicides is incredibly unnerving. Suicide is obviously hideous in and of itself, but theirs the faintest solace in trying to understand it rationally. Its obviously part of being human, as we are the only animals who do it regularly and its biological purpose seems to be a sort of perverse altruistic urge to remove oneself from holding the "tribe" back, most people who off themselves feel helpless and useless. There is a perverse logic to it. From their we can at least work on a cure and ways to fight it.

But cluster suicides throw that all out the window. When people are inspired by other suicides or fantasize about suicide-ing together with their friends it terrifies me. Suicide as a replicating meme-that stuff drives me crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIMmbOMONhk

Here's the documentary on Youtube if you're interested.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Jesus Canada is almost as bad as the US when it comes to the native population.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

The final residential school was closed in 1996. Literally everyone in this thread was alive when the Canadian government was carrying out a genocide.

ranbo das posted:

Jesus Canada is almost as bad as the US when it comes to the native population.
I'm pretty sure you can outright say worse at that point. Which is very hard to do.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah reading stories of Canadian cops dropping drunks off at the edge of town so they can freeze to death is some spooky poo poo
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/05/13/starlight_tours_saskatoon_maybe_aboriginals_like_alvin_cote_don_t_have_it.html
I'd never even considered the possibility, possibly because I don't really live in an area where winter manifests itself like that. It'd be so weird to live in a place where getting drunk could possibly mean accidental (or intentional) death by exposure to the elements
It basically means that any cut to homeless shelters immediately correlates with hobos death by exposure.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I have been waffling for about a year on starting a thread about aboriginal peoples in Canada, as I know a fair bit about it. It is amazingly hosed up and a poo poo tonne of people either know nothing about the poo poo that has been pulled, and is still pulled, or say we should just get over it. As a sample: Some res schools used actual electric chairs for punishment, which would leave you effectively paralyzed and semi-conscious for several days. At my kukom's school, the head priest took a girl to his cabin every week or so to rape. Also, the Government's half of Truth and Reconciliation is an absolute joke.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Apr 12, 2016

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I have been waffling for about a year on starting a thread about aboriginal peoples in Canada, as I know a fair bit about it. It is amazingly hosed up and a poo poo tonne of people either know nothing about the poo poo that has been pulled, and is still pulled, or say we should just get over it. As a sample: Some res schools used actual electric chairs for punishment, which would leave you effectively paralyzed and semi-conscious for several days. At my kukom's school, the head priest took a girl to his cabin every week or so to rape. Also, the Government's half of Truth and Reconciliation is an absolute joke.

You should. I kind of lurk in this thread, but also have lived in Canada since 2006. I'm still surprised about residential schools ever having existed, not to mention that they were still around in my lifetime. Much racism continues, really badly, and resource grabs pretty much continue to destroy First Nations territories, many of them never ever having been ceded to begin with.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Please do. I live in a fairly progressive part of the country and I'm absolutely shocked by the casual racism that people still spout when it comes to aboriginal affairs. From young, liberal people. I know that most of it stems from the fact that we aren't taught this poo poo in schools (not including the Beothuk) but even my goddamned family doctor has made some ignorant, lovely comments about "entitled Indians".

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Tiberius Thyben posted:

:justpost:

I've noticed in political discussions people have a bad tendency to put Canada on a pedestal in comparison to the United States and race issues. It was hard for me to buy it because I've only ever heard horrible things about the way First Nations peoples are treated there. It would be good to learn more from an educated source.

DStecks posted:

Tangentially related, but that was also the year the last Magdalene asylum closed in Ireland. They were basically prisons/workhouses for "fallen women," designated that way for things like having a child out of wedlock, being raped, or just being too attractive.

Here's a documentary about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWKuGqtWDow

There's also a movie called The Magdalene Sisters. According to Wikipedia:

quote:

[Director] Peter Mullan has remarked that the film was initially made because victims of Magdalene Asylums had received no closure in the form of recognition, compensation or apology, and many remained lifelong devout Catholics. Former Magdalene inmate Mary-Jo McDonagh told Mullan that the reality of the Magdalene Asylums was much worse than depicted in the film.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
That documentary is horrifying, especially with details like the woman whose baby was arbitrarily taken away from her without consent and the little girl who was shaved bald and beaten with a rubber strap for the crime of talkng to one of the Magdalenes.

The nuns in question were called the Sisters of Mercy.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

They had some good tunes though

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

As someone from a third-world country with lots of sad poo poo about its native population in its history (and still happening today, obviously), it is pretty mindblowing to read about what's still happening in Canada, a country so idealized as a perfect place for everyone.
I mean, seriously? Boarding schools to brainwash and abuse First Nations' children in the middle of the 90s? gently caress me, dude.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Yeah, people like to think Canada and Australia are so much less racist than the US but it's not true at all.

Especially when it comes to treatment of native peoples, we're all horrendous.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Australians are racist as gently caress.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeahhhhh I dunno who'd think that about Australia. I would figure people know more about the plight of Aborigines and stupid Aussie refugee attitudes than the history of indigenous abuse in Canada, it was definitely true for me. Canada is always the nation held up in the states as a more tolerant and civilized American nation.
Like I saw The Magdelene Sisters and Rabbit Proof Fence when I was a kid, but I've never heard of or seen a significant film on Canadian horrors.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I think Canada is regarded as better because of the generally better acceptance of black people. It is where slaves ran TO, so there has to be something to it. To be clear, there was slavery and segregation, but both ended considerably earlier and were less overt than in the United States.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Like I saw The Magdelene Sisters and Rabbit Proof Fence when I was a kid, but I've never heard of or seen a significant film on Canadian horrors.

There are some out and about, Wikipedia has a list. We Were Children is probably the most prominent one in the past few years, you can find it on the NFB website if you are in Canada, which may work in other parts of the world, I'm not really sure.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The Lone Badger posted:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

On the topic of suicides - The Bridge is a great documentary about Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicides_at_the_Golden_Gate_Bridge posted:

Between 1937 and 2012, an estimated 1,600 bodies were recovered of people who had jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge, located in the San Francisco Bay Area in the United States.[1] The impact from the fall kills 98 percent of people who jump or fall from the bridge, as they enter the water.[2][3] As of 2005, it is estimated that 26 people have survived after jumping.[4] In 2013, 118 potential jumpers were talked down from their attempt and did not jump.

quote:

There is no accurate figure on the number of suicides or completed jumps since 1937, because many were not witnessed. People have been known to travel to San Francisco specifically to jump off the bridge, and may take a bus or cab to the site; police sometimes find abandoned rental cars in the parking lot. Currents beneath the bridge are strong and some jumpers have undoubtedly been washed out to sea without being seen.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

WTF is that thing he's pointing with. :stare:

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
goons in the canadian politics thread called me an idiot for not trusting the canadian education system but i only have to look at the intellect of the average canuck and the history of residential schools to know that our teachers are inadequate

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Karma Monkey posted:

I think its one of the clawed hands used by the bad guy from 'Enter the Dragon', ya know, for dramatic effect. I'd say it worked.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
In Denmark a lot of people go "Oh haha people from Greenland are just drunks". What pisses me off is that no one ever mentions that hey, we literally colonized the poo poo out of Greenland, forced their children to mainly if not only speak danish, had them come here and then didn''t get that forcing people to abandon their home only to then ridicule them for where they came from isn't a good structure for anyone. Any time I mention that it's really lovely seeing that we loving colonized their country I always get the "Wow, wow, it's not like were America, so like calm down". No, we colonized a country that we don't even live in and chose how the native population was supposed to live (and love benefiting from any of their resources) and now we treat them like a joke. I'ts still loving lovely.
A lot of countries used to do really, really lovely things, and now were still doing lovely things because we wont recognize that said lovely thing had an influence on both groups. But good luck convincing them that we were being lovely in the first place.

I'm also half Tanzanian so don't even get me started on that loving mess.

Content:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/setagaya-family-murders-remain-unsolved-15-years-later

16 years ago an entire family get's murdered in Japan. The killer was casual enough to eat some ice cream and use the computer in the home afterwards. He/she is still at large.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Karma Monkey posted:

Its a garblededoodledoo. You've never seen one?
:australia:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

pienipple posted:

Yeah, people like to think Canada and Australia are so much less racist than the US but it's not true at all.

Especially when it comes to treatment of native peoples, we're all horrendous.

It's just American exceptionalism inverted. A lot of people (justly) get grossed out by all the "USA #1!" stuff, so they just turn it on its head and decide that the US is uniquely horrible, while still being as insular and uninformed about the rest of the world.

My favorite examples of this are Maoist and pro-North Korea edgelords.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Its a garblededoodledoo. You've never seen one?
:australia:

Yeah Kangaroos are basically big ornery rabbits considered a pest over there. You can buy all sorts of horrifically ugly parts of repurposed Kangaroo parts as a lovely souvenir. And Cane Toads.

In fact, Cane Toads and Rabbits being introduced over there is kind of sad and creepy in its own way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toads_in_Australia#Invasive_species

quote:

Native to South and mainland Middle America, cane toads were introduced to Australia from Hawaii in June 1935 by the Bureau of Sugar Experiment Stations, now the Sugar Research Australia in an attempt to control the native grey-backed cane beetle (Dermolepida albohirtum) and Frenchi beetle (Lepidiota frenchi). These beetles are native to Australia and they are detrimental to sugar cane crops, which are a major source of income for Australia. Adult cane beetles eat the crop's leaves, but the main problem is the larvae, who feed on the roots. Adult cane beetles have a heavy exoskeleton and their eggs and larva are often buried underground, making them difficult to exterminate. Furthermore, conventional methods of pest control, such as pesticide use, would eradicate harmless species of insects as well, making it an unsatisfactory method.

The cane toads bred immediately in captivity, and by August 1935 more than 102 young toads were released in areas around Cairns, Gordonvale and Innisfail in northern Queensland. More toads were released around Ingham, Ayr, Mackay and Bundaberg. Releases were temporarily limited because of environmental concerns but resumed in other areas after September 1936. Since their release, toads have rapidly multiplied in population and now number over 200 million and have been known to spread diseases affecting local biodiversity. Unfortunately, the introduction of the toads has not only caused large environmental detriment, but there is also no evidence that they have had an impact on the cane beetles they were introduced to predate. The toads have steadily expanded their range through Queensland, reaching the border with New South Wales in 1978 and the Northern Territory in 1984. The toads on the western frontier of their advance have evolved larger legs; this is thought to be related to their ability to travel farther. As a consequence of their longer legs, larger bodies, and faster movement, about 10% of the leading edge cane toads have also developed arthritis. It was estimated that cane toads migrate at an average of 40 kilometres (25 miles) per year as of 1994, but new research in 2014 indicated that the migration rate had increased to 60 km per year on the western front.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why not just import wolves to eat the toads/rabbits? Problem solved.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Rondette posted:

In fact, Cane Toads and Rabbits being introduced over there is kind of sad and creepy in its own way.

Also domestic cats! https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Cats_in_Australia

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

The Lone Badger posted:

thats true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8EwzisBEHc

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Only white people were allowed to emigrate to Australia until around the early 70s.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, as lovely and alive as racism in America is, at least we've spent the last 150 years confronting it. Europe is also way loving worse about this stuff than the US.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Just say the word "gypsy" around a liberal european and they go from zero to toothless Alabaman mullet-haver.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most countries likely have some hosed up racial poo poo going on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Manson Family Murderer Mailed Hand-Written Edits for His Wikipedia Page From Prison

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Terrible Opinions posted:

Just say the word "gypsy" around a liberal european and they go from zero to toothless Alabaman mullet-haver.

Yuuup. Also "Turk" to a German, "Asian" (I.E. Indian/Pakistani,) to a Brit, etc. When my youth orchestra went to Eastern Europe, we were told by our otherwise very sweet tour guide that "gypsies" were dirty thieves. My brother ignored them and had some fun impromptu duets with Roma Street violinists.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pookel posted:

Yuuup. Also "Turk" to a German, "Asian" (I.E. Indian/Pakistani,) to a Brit, etc. When my youth orchestra went to Eastern Europe, we were told by our otherwise very sweet tour guide that "gypsies" were dirty thieves. My brother ignored them and had some fun impromptu duets with Roma Street violinists.

He's lucky they didn't steal his wallet and leave him pregnant.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Terrible Opinions posted:

Where I live people go 'Oh, I don't mean gypsy gypsies, I mean Irish travelers!' :sigh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

pookel posted:

my youth orchestra went to Eastern Europe

racist tour guide aside, that sounds amazing and i am jealous

we just went to tanglewood :sigh:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I would have sworn they executed this guy years ago, but I guess not. I think he's the one who did a lot of the actual killing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

I would have sworn they executed this guy years ago, but I guess not. I think he's the one who did a lot of the actual killing.

All the Manson killers who got sentenced to death had it commuted to life when the Supreme Court struck down the death penalty in the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

canis minor posted:

On the topic of suicides - The Bridge is a great documentary about Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

I think that documentary was one of the reasons that, after complaining for years about "but the historic structure!" and "but our views!" the people in charge of the Golden Gate are finally installing anti-suicide stuff.