Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selane
May 19, 2006

shootforit posted:

Anyone else having a weird volume issue?

I can be actively using my phone, going in between apps, listening to music, etc, and out of nowhere the volume will reduce drastically. Without the volume bar moving.

It turns itself down so much that when I do turn the volume bar up all the way, it is not loud at all.

Usually volume all the way up while wearing EarPods will hurt my ears. Not when this happens though.

A reboot always fixes it. Any thoughts?

That happened to me once a few days ago. I noticed it not playing the lock sound when I locked it, so I though maybe I hit the mute switch but it wasn't flipped. Couldn't figure out out to fix it so yeah, had to reboot to get it to go back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shootforit posted:

Anyone else having a weird volume issue?

I can be actively using my phone, going in between apps, listening to music, etc, and out of nowhere the volume will reduce drastically. Without the volume bar moving.

It turns itself down so much that when I do turn the volume bar up all the way, it is not loud at all.

Usually volume all the way up while wearing EarPods will hurt my ears. Not when this happens though.

A reboot always fixes it. Any thoughts?

I have this problem all the time on 8.1. It's incredibly annoying.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The volume thing happens to me all the time. I fix it by opening up a maps app and then going back to the home screen, usually works with Google Maps. If it doesn't, try Apple maps, and then finally try Snapchat. For some reason those apps will take over the volume and lower it, like whenever they are giving a navigation direction, even if you have it turned off. It's dumb.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

uninterrupted posted:

The Apple Airport Express would like a word with you.

I had to upgrade to Comcast's Xfinity service, and when you do you have to use the Comcast router (the new Xfinity box with their new OS has to have be connected to the router). The speeds are super fast compared to what I use to get (my MacBook can get over 130 MBS on WiFi depending on time of day), but my AirPlay over WiFi is useless now. I am to the point that I am going to cut off the Xfinity Router WiFi, and connect my Airport Extreme to it for WiFi. Best router I ever used (the thing just doesn't drop WiFi, and Apple products work perfect on it), but every time I read reviews from some place like Tom's Hardware they are acting like you are throwing money away buying one.

Biodome posted:

The volume thing happens to me all the time. I fix it by opening up a maps app and then going back to the home screen, usually works with Google Maps. If it doesn't, try Apple maps, and then finally try Snapchat. For some reason those apps will take over the volume and lower it, like whenever they are giving a navigation direction, even if you have it turned off. It's dumb.

As a runner this happens to me when my running app chimes in with the time or distance. Afterwards the volume of the music just sounds muted. Sometimes when I get a text the chime makes the music go loud again (it can be a shock to your ears if you have it up loud to compensate for the muted sound).

Also I use to have that same problem back when I had a jailbroken 4s. Once I got rid of jailbreak, the problem went away until recently (this was over 3 years ago).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 29, 2015

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

nate fisher posted:

I had to upgrade to Comcast's Xfinity service, and when you do you have to use the Comcast router (the new Xfinity box with their new OS has to have be connected to the router). The speeds are super fast compared to what I use to get (my MacBook can get over 130 MBS on WiFi depending on time of day), but my AirPlay over WiFi is useless now. I am to the point that I am going to cut off the Xfinity Router WiFi, and connect my Airport Extreme to it for WiFi. Best router I ever used (the thing just doesn't drop WiFi, and Apple products work perfect on it), but every time I read reviews from some place like Tom's Hardware they are acting like you are throwing money away buying one.

The refurb Airport Express is $65, and for me it's just worth it to not deal with whatever janky ridiculous 90s era router UI normal routers force you to use.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

uninterrupted posted:

The refurb Airport Express is $65, and for me it's just worth it to not deal with whatever janky ridiculous 90s era router UI normal routers force you to use.

Well I have an Airport Extreme sitting in a drawer for the last 3 months. Time to pull it out and daisy chain it to the poo poo Xfinity router.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nate fisher posted:

I got xfinity last year and they didn't force me into using any of their networking gear. I know the rollout has different phases around the country so it could be a regional thing, but on the other hand sometimes the tech is merely an impatient idiot who will say anything so they can complete the call more quickly.

I use a bog standard comcast provided cable modem with an ethernet jack, plug my own router into it and everything works exactly like I want.

Just be aware they're handing out ipv6 addresses now and they don't filter it at all. Most routers have separate ipv4 and ipv6 firewalls and some of them ship with the ipv6 disabled so you actually have to turn it on yourself.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
I recently got my wife updated to iOS 8.3 on her iPhone 5C, but she now can't do dictation with quick replies from the lock screen. I seem to be able to do that on my 5S on 8.3 though. I looked around in settings but couldn't figure out why, and a semi-quick Google search didn't yield many pertinent answers. Anybody know what's going on?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

I got xfinity last year and they didn't force me into using any of their networking gear. I know the rollout has different phases around the country so it could be a regional thing, but on the other hand sometimes the tech is merely an impatient idiot who will say anything so they can complete the call more quickly.

I use a bog standard comcast provided cable modem with an ethernet jack, plug my own router into it and everything works exactly like I want.

Just be aware they're handing out ipv6 addresses now and they don't filter it at all. Most routers have separate ipv4 and ipv6 firewalls and some of them ship with the ipv6 disabled so you actually have to turn it on yourself.

Yeah, I've had Xfinity for two years and have been using my own modem and router.

I don't have the X1 thing, which might be what he's talking about.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I've had Xfinity for two years and have been using my own modem and router.

I don't have the X1 thing, which might be what he's talking about.

Same and same. I have a Motorola surfboard modem that I picked up cheap, and an Apple 3TB time capsule that have been working great together for 3 years now.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Yeah his thing sounds like X1. I use a tivo and my own modem and comcast works swimmingly with it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yes it is the X1 thing. I came back to Comcast, because they had some 2 years deal of X1 with DVR & HBO + 100 MBS internet for $99 a month. While the price is not bad at all, their customer service lives up to their reputation. The X1 software is buggy as hell. It is so buggy that I use the X1 IOS app (which works great) instead of the remote.

& Yes I did research after they told me that the X1 requires their modem/router (it is almost killed the deal for me), and from everything I read online it seemed they wasn't lying. If there is someone using the X1 without their router/modem please tell me.

MrBond posted:

Yeah his thing sounds like X1. I use a tivo and my own modem and comcast works swimmingly with it.

This how I rolled until I left Comcast last time. TIVO + cable cards was awesome.

Sorry for derail. I love Apple routers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

nate fisher posted:

Yes it is the X1 thing. I came back to Comcast, because they had some 2 years deal of X1 with DVR & HBO + 100 MBS internet for $99 a month. While the price is not bad at all, their customer service lives up to their reputation. The X1 software is buggy as hell. It is so buggy that I use the X1 IOS app (which works great) instead of the remote.

& Yes I did research after they told me that the X1 requires their modem/router (it is almost killed the deal for me), and from everything I read online it seemed they wasn't lying. If there is someone using the X1 without their router/modem please tell me.

Couldn't you just put their box into bridge mode and roll your own router?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jose Oquendo posted:

Couldn't you just put their box into bridge mode and roll your own router?

Oh I'm going to try that this weekend. I was too lazy at first (I hate messing with networking stuff for some reason), but the AirPlay issues are forcing my hand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nate fisher posted:

I am doing exactly that. I have X1 and am using a personally owned mikrotik router. The only bit that's comcast provided is the actual cable modem.

Maybe I just got lucky and am running an illegal setup.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Can someone help me figure out a situation? I don't know anything about CDMA and unlocking and all that so this is way over my head.

I want to use my madre's 2 year upgrade to get myself a 6 plus, then give her my iPhone 6 and pay her the difference. The trouble is that I have an AT&T 6 and she's on Verizon so her 6 plus would be a Verizon one.

Is there any way she can get a V 6 plus, give that to me for use on the AT&T network, and then use my ATT 6 on the Verizon network? The guy at the apple store said it's impossible but there's a few threads out the on the Internet that say it is possible. It's just tough for me to understand all the terms about networks and whatnot. Thanks :love:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Verizon 6+ will work on AT&T no problem. *Supposedly* some MacRumors people were getting unlocked iPhones 6 working on Verizon, which *technically* should work at least on LTE, but if yours is locked, it definitely will not.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

Ah thanks. So i would end up with a working phone but my mom probably not, even if I unlocked it? I think I already did the online request for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like I said, there's people reporting unlocked ones working on Verizon. It wouldn't take but a few minutes to swap her SIM card into your phone and seeing what happens before making any decisions to go through with this.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

A Verizon 6+ will work on AT&T no problem. *Supposedly* some MacRumors people were getting unlocked iPhones 6 working on Verizon, which *technically* should work at least on LTE, but if yours is locked, it definitely will not.

IIRC the unlocked ones worked for voice and data, but they had issues with visual voicemail since the IMEI wasn't listed in Verizon's db as an iPhone.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
I looked around a bit but couldn't really find what I needed.

I need to mirror my iPhone 6 to a PC to do a demonstration of some things. Where I'll be, I can't guarantee I'll be on wifi so all the solutions that rely on being on the same network are out. What else could I possibly do? Is there a way to do it with a lightning cable or something?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Can you turn tethering on in your phone, and connect the PC to your phone's wifi?

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

kitten smoothie posted:

Can you turn tethering on in your phone, and connect the PC to your phone's wifi?

I'll give this a try and see if it works.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Easy Mac posted:

I need to mirror my iPhone 6 to a PC to do a demonstration of some things. Where I'll be, I can't guarantee I'll be on wifi so all the solutions that rely on being on the same network are out. What else could I possibly do? Is there a way to do it with a lightning cable or something?

Yep!

You can do a live Stream cast via Quicktime!

Just plug it in via lightning, do a new Screen Recording in quick time and change your source to iPhone!

Simple!

E:

AGH maybe this isn't on PC yet :O Maybe... borrow a Mac running Yosemite :/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AirServer might work if you tether the computer to the phone via USB. It did for me but that was on OS X (before QuickTime added the feature)

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm having a really annoying issue in Messages. Every time I start a new conversation with someone, the keyboard defaults to the standard iOS keyboard instead of Swiftkey. Once I change it to Swiftkey, it always comes up again for that conversation. Is there any way to make it default to Swiftkey 100% of the time for any new messages?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have this problem all the time on 8.1. It's incredibly annoying.

I also have the volume problem not infrequently. I don't have a developer account but if someone else could make a bug report that would be swell.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Super Dude posted:

I'm having a really annoying issue in Messages. Every time I start a new conversation with someone, the keyboard defaults to the standard iOS keyboard instead of Swiftkey. Once I change it to Swiftkey, it always comes up again for that conversation. Is there any way to make it default to Swiftkey 100% of the time for any new messages?

Is Swift the top of your Keyboards list in Settings->Keyboard->Keyboards?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I have a question about doing an iCloud backup. If I turn on iCloud backup, will it sync the photos on my phone? For example, if I was to delete a photo, would it be deleted as well on iCloud?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is Swift the top of your Keyboards list in Settings->Keyboard->Keyboards?

Thanks for this.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

~Coxy posted:

Thanks for this.

I had the same issue after some recent update, either a swiftkey one or an ios 8.x thing but anyway double thanks.

Sooooooo I asked a question above about using Verizon 6's on AT&T phones and vice-versa.... I got some good replies and I feel like the answer is there, but I'm still not sure... can someone tell me yes or no for this?

Can I take a Verizon iPhone 6+ and use it on the AT&T network, and then give my AT&T iphone 6 to someone to use on the Verizon network? This is in the US.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

iLikeMidgets posted:

I have a question about doing an iCloud backup. If I turn on iCloud backup, will it sync the photos on my phone? For example, if I was to delete a photo, would it be deleted as well on iCloud?

Yes. If you're trying to free up space by removing photos then you could try iCloud Photo Library.

several people posted:

Messages keyboard

Remembering which keyboard you last used for each conversation is a feature for anyone who writes messages in more than one language. I guess it can be confusing now that third-party keyboards exist.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iLikeMidgets posted:

If you're on OS X , your phone should automatically sync your photos to your Photos app over wifi. I'm not sure but you might need to have Photo Stream turned on in both. Then you can just delete photos from your phone at will. This won't work with iCloud Photo Library. You'll be stuck with lo res copies of your photos on your iPhone and if you delete them, it gets rid of them everywhere. It's bizarre.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
I should have been more specific, but if you use iCloud Photo Library then you don't delete photos. You just set it to “Optimise Storage” and it will automatically delete the full resolution version and only leave a lower resolution thumbnail. Or you wait until it syncs and then turn off iCloud Photo Library, which will remove all synced photos from the phone. Depends exactly what you're trying to do.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Ok, it's not just me. iCloud Photo Library sounds like something I would like to use but at the same time it seems like a confusing set up to me.

jawbroken posted:

I should have been more specific, but if you use iCloud Photo Library then you don't delete photos. You just set it to “Optimise Storage” and it will automatically delete the full resolution version and only leave a lower resolution thumbnail. Or you wait until it syncs and then turn off iCloud Photo Library, which will remove all synced photos from the phone. Depends exactly what you're trying to do.

I would like to have an iCloud backup the same way as a backup on PC. So if delete a photo on my phone, it will be gone as well on the next backup.

It would just a peace of mind for me to have another backup somewhere. I had an accident not too long ago. Forgot that sync is not the same as backup. Restored my phone on a new laptop. Instead of hitting backup, I hit sync. Just glad I was able to restore a backup from my old laptop before I gave it away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you're on windows , use onedrive!

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Easy Mac posted:

If you were using a Mac, you could plug in your phone, open up QuickTime > New Movie Recording, and then select your iPhone using the little dropdown menu next to the record button. It'll mirror the display in the quicktime window even when it's not recording.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Anyone else having this bug?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1856030

I noticed it a few weeks back and it's driving me nuts.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone have the issue of the brightness dropping randomly? It gets a really soft light color. Auto brightness is off, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rubies posted:

I had the same issue after some recent update, either a swiftkey one or an ios 8.x thing but anyway double thanks.

Sooooooo I asked a question above about using Verizon 6's on AT&T phones and vice-versa.... I got some good replies and I feel like the answer is there, but I'm still not sure... can someone tell me yes or no for this?

Can I take a Verizon iPhone 6+ and use it on the AT&T network, and then give my AT&T iphone 6 to someone to use on the Verizon network? This is in the US.

Endless Mike posted:

Like I said, there's people reporting unlocked ones working on Verizon. It wouldn't take but a few minutes to swap her SIM card into your phone and seeing what happens before making any decisions to go through with this.

Endless Mike posted:

You're not going to get a better answer than you've gotten here, twice even. Until you can test the SIM in your unlocked device it would be foolish to buy another.