Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

So I have this spamming my logs on banished modpack:

Any idea what it means?

It's a phone home using
https://github.com/NPException/GameAnalyticsAPI
"An API to easily use the service of gameanalytics.com in your mod or game"

Probably a URL got changed and it fails on connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

When filling a reactor with a coolant that flows, do you need to place a source block in every empty space or is the top sufficient?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Flows are sufficient, but the best fluids for reactors settle according to gravity.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive been on an FTB Infinity Evolved Skyblock and was wondering how to get power.

I managed to knock up an IC2 generator, that then feeds a forestry electrical engine that then powers my automatic sieve. But ive got no real idea where to go to next. Most of the recipies are changed too. Everytime i think, oh ill do this.... i look at the rec and its like , wow i need different machines to make 1 of those pieces.

Being a skyblock i do have access to pretty much all ores, its just super slow until i can find a way of making more power.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bouchacha posted:

When filling a reactor with a coolant that flows, do you need to place a source block in every empty space or is the top sufficient?

Flowing liquid counts, so only the top is fine.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

Ive been on an FTB Infinity Evolved Skyblock and was wondering how to get power.

I managed to knock up an IC2 generator, that then feeds a forestry electrical engine that then powers my automatic sieve. But ive got no real idea where to go to next. Most of the recipies are changed too. Everytime i think, oh ill do this.... i look at the rec and its like , wow i need different machines to make 1 of those pieces.

Being a skyblock i do have access to pretty much all ores, its just super slow until i can find a way of making more power.

Culinary generators.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Beef Wellington to be specific. You can use soybeans through a presser to make tofu to replace the beef. You'll probably have to figure out agricraft cross breeding if you haven't already.

Also immersive engineering water wheels.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Doing cross breeding while i was waiting.

Ok so head to soy beans, get a cul generator up. plan for when i wake up :)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

I did a bank of culinary generators in regular FTB Infinity Evolved, and it's a bit of a letdown with how overpoweredly efficient it is. Both growing the crops, and creating the culinary generators are relatively easy, and inherently infinite. You can fit a small farm of eggplant + garlic to make stuffed eggplants in one chunk, with a sprinkler system, and it's enough to feed culinary generators for an endgame Draconic Evolution-scale power system.

It's a good answer if you just want to force your way through things, but I think limiting your use of it just to have done it, and maybe jump start your industrial production, would be a better way to experience the pack.

Unless maybe FTB Skyblock nerfed everything to hell, I dunno.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Meskhenet posted:

Devor posted:

I did a bank of culinary generators in regular FTB Infinity Evolved, and it's a bit of a letdown with how overpoweredly efficient it is. Both growing the crops, and creating the culinary generators are relatively easy, and inherently infinite. You can fit a small farm of eggplant + garlic to make stuffed eggplants in one chunk, with a sprinkler system, and it's enough to feed culinary generators for an endgame Draconic Evolution-scale power system.

It's a good answer if you just want to force your way through things, but I think limiting your use of it just to have done it, and maybe jump start your industrial production, would be a better way to experience the pack.

Yup, they're still good. Been playing IE:S this week as well, and just got my first bank of culinary gens this morning (16 1x, need to get my QED made before I can upgrade to 8x). I'm also using the stuffed eggplant - two ingredients, very solid return. Some people prefer beef wellington or other foods that give more RF, but I prefer eggplant because it's a simpler system and can pump out more than enough power.

The main gating IIRC is breeding up the seeds. Since it's skyblock, you can't just break gardens / steal from villages. Besides soybeans, eggplant, and garlic, there's also four other seeds needed for the presser, which you need to make firm tofu to craft the culinary gens. So you have to do a fair amount of cross breeding to get set up. IE:S has Agricraft bonemeal mutations turned on though, so once you've got a stock of bonemeal it's very quick to breed new seeds or to get seeds up to 10/10/10.

For early game, I went survivalist generator, then furnace generator, then 6 Immersive Engineering water wheels (plus 12 hardened energy cells for storage). It got the job done but usually felt pretty tight on power, so I'm glad to be moving on to the culinary gens. Next project will probably be setting up IC2 reactors to get plutonium and UU matter going. Haven't tested but I think the Immersive Engineering excavator still works in skyblock, so I'll probably go hunting for a Uranium chunk tonight...

Also: don't build on Eerie chunks in a skyblock. Despite being fully lit, Eldritch Guardians will still spawn in them. Was not at all prepared for that when it first happened!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a way to figure out the sweet spot for MFR farm machine range given how long they take to check each square? An emerald range upgrade is huge but takes like 3 minutes to check its space. I suppose you could pair an emerald harvester with an emerald planter but that seems incredibly efficient because I don't suppose the machines will sync up their block update search. Should we just stick to Lapis upgrades for the most part? When are bigger ranges useful?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
In my experience pairing up hugely upgraded planters and harvesters works just fine. Crops take long enough to grow that the inefficiency isn't hugely impactful

I've never run any tests for the efficiency of an Emerald upgraded Harvester+Planter pair vs however many pairs it'd take to do it with lesser upgrades, but an emerald upgraded pair produces a lot of crops.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 7, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How does MFR interact with Agricraft? Do you not need a planter?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I believe you need another mod specifically to allow MFR to work with agricraft.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a way to figure out the sweet spot for MFR farm machine range given how long they take to check each square? An emerald range upgrade is huge but takes like 3 minutes to check its space. I suppose you could pair an emerald harvester with an emerald planter but that seems incredibly efficient because I don't suppose the machines will sync up their block update search. Should we just stick to Lapis upgrades for the most part? When are bigger ranges useful?

I usually just go for a +3 upgrade. I think that's iron? A 9x9 crop field is easy to set up as it only needs one block of water, and you can very easily separate it into nine 3x3 squares for separate crops via the planter UI.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

SugarAddict posted:

I believe you need another mod specifically to allow MFR to work with agricraft.

IIRC, you're thinking of Magical Crops, which attempts to nullify any and all automation. AgriCraft supports MFR natively.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Vib Rib posted:

Correct. Plant field in crop sticks by hand, point harvester at it, and you're good.

As for field size, I also go with the 9x9. In addition to being the sweet spot for plain water and dividing nicely into nine 3x3s if you're using a Planter, it's a good size for most growth acceleration methods. OpenBlock sprinklers are 9x9, and Agricraft sprinklers and Lilypads of Fertility are 7x7, so a 9x9 is usually a decent fit for whichever of those you might want to use. You could also lay down Rituals of the Green Grove from Blood Magic underneath 3x3 sections, though I haven't done that in a build since 1.6.4.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Fortis posted:

IIRC, you're thinking of Magical Crops, which attempts to nullify any and all automation. AgriCraft supports MFR natively.

EnderIO Farming Stations harvest Magical Crops just fine.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Over powered would be a nice change. Im still sifting by hand as the setup i have just straight up sucks.

I also had a creeper spawn on my fields. So i lost all my cows a few sheep and a sizable hole in my dirt :/

I just need something so i can get dirt easier.

And i was looking for a farming mod :)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Over powered would be a nice change. Im still sifting by hand as the setup i have just straight up sucks.

I also had a creeper spawn on my fields. So i lost all my cows a few sheep and a sizable hole in my dirt :/

I just need something so i can get dirt easier.

And i was looking for a farming mod :)

Don't forget to light the top of your walls!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Black Pants posted:

EnderIO Farming Stations harvest Magical Crops just fine.
IIRC they don't get any of the bonus essences if you use the magical crops hoes. Unless I had them set up wrong that is.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Don't forget to light the top of your walls!

They were. I still have no idea how it spawned. Maybe on top of the rubber tree and it fell off? who knows. My area over that way is pretty secure i thought.

Agricraft question.

I just ran a set of 10 crop sticks with cross crops on top to power up some sugar cane and cactus. Just harvested my sugar cane now and all the seeds are still 1:1:1

So obviously im doing something wrong to increase them? (which is a pain as i have just set up my rows for the seeds i already have.

Or did i just get 10x unlucky?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bouchacha posted:

If you are using agricraft and not enhancing ticks in some way then a 9x9 with iron upgrade is fine.

If you are using normal crops/anything that can be fertilized or bone mealed then you only need 1 tile of dirt and the harvester will work non-stop provided you are producing enough growth stuff. Maybe a few more if it's something like wheat, but 1 tile for trees.

If you're growing trees without bonemeal then I don't remember a good size but just don't go overboard.

A big thing to remember with MFR farms and stuff is to put them in their own chunk. They are a big source of fps lag if you put them in a chunk with lots of other stuff going on.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

They were. I still have no idea how it spawned. Maybe on top of the rubber tree and it fell off? who knows. My area over that way is pretty secure i thought.

Agricraft question.

I just ran a set of 10 crop sticks with cross crops on top to power up some sugar cane and cactus. Just harvested my sugar cane now and all the seeds are still 1:1:1

So obviously im doing something wrong to increase them? (which is a pain as i have just set up my rows for the seeds i already have.

It sounds like your agricraft config is preventing stat increases when there's only one crop adjacent (which is the case in a single row). You can work around this by creating a diagonal line of crops for seeds to run through on their own, or you can make clusters of 5 crop sticks, letting the plants on the outer four grow before putting a double crop in the middle for the seeds to boost into. Then you remove the seeds on the outer four and let the middle seed clone itself out there via more double crops. Repeat the cycle a few times and you'll have 10/10/10.

I imagine there are even faster ways of doing it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

It sounds like your agricraft config is preventing stat increases when there's only one crop adjacent (which is the case in a single row). You can work around this by creating a diagonal line of crops for seeds to run through on their own, or you can make clusters of 5 crop sticks, letting the plants on the outer four grow before putting a double crop in the middle for the seeds to boost into. Then you remove the seeds on the outer four and let the middle seed clone itself out there via more double crops. Repeat the cycle a few times and you'll have 10/10/10.

I imagine there are even faster ways of doing it.

would rather just change the config. know what im looking for?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Khorne posted:

A big thing to remember with MFR farms and stuff is to put them in their own chunk. They are a big source of fps lag if you put them in a chunk with lots of other stuff going on.
Wait, what? So if you have a multistory building with tons of MFR stuff happening, it'll be slower than if they were side-by-side in different chunks?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wait, what? So if you have a multistory building with tons of MFR stuff happening, it'll be slower than if they were side-by-side in different chunks?

Yes. That's a problem with a lot of mods, certain things(most notably things that interact with the world, but not exclusively) will cause the chunk to be re-rendered which means the more stuff you have in it, the more intensive the re-rendering will be.

5 harvesters spread over 5 otherwise empty chunks will cause much less client FPS problems than 1 harvester in the same chunk as a bunch of other poo poo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Just tons of MFR farm stuff shouldn't be a big deal. I built a one chunk base once that included pretty much everything you could imagine and then some (including intricate logistics pipes network, and 1.5.x Universal Electricity mods) and having a 1x1 harvester+planter going with fertilizer would tank my fps to 18. With it turned off my fps would be 100+. Moving it to another chunk solved the problem.

On my laptop the fps would be 0-1, around 38-40 without it/after it was moved. But that base took hundreds of hours because there was no auto mining in that mod pack, no ae, no tic, no chunk loaders, it was really fun honestly. It also had the mod with the ogres.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 8, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

would rather just change the config. know what im looking for?

I think it's one of the difficulty settings?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

Yes. That's a problem with a lot of mods, certain things(most notably things that interact with the world, but not exclusively) will cause the chunk to be re-rendered which means the more stuff you have in it, the more intensive the re-rendering will be.

5 harvesters spread over 5 otherwise empty chunks will cause much less client FPS problems than 1 harvester in the same chunk as a bunch of other poo poo.

That might explain some of the slowdown I think I experience in the BFSR tutorial dimension. I laid up a multi-story building with the MFR gear, and it just crawls.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

Agricraft question.

As McFrugal suspected, Infinity Evolved: Skyblock has single-crop stat increases turned off by default. Here's how I do breeding to improve Agricraft crop stats:

The four grown wheats are your starter 1/1/1 seeds. Make sure they are fully grown before placing down the cross crops, and then they will crossbreed in the cross crops with improved stats. Once all five cross crops have finished crossing, I break everything, analyze the five new seeds, and replant the four best ones to run again. You can bonemeal empty cross crops to force the crossing in IE:S, which means you can do this process as fast as you can click so long as you have bone meal coming in (from sieving, a mob farm, whatever).

If you want to enable single-crop stat increases instead, go to \config\agricraft\Configuration.cfg and find:

quote:

B:"Single spread stat increase"=false

Change "false" to "true" and your single-line mutation should work, assuming you're playing in single player and not on a server.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Seriously just crank down the difficulty throttlers on Agricraft, crossbreeding maxed out crops of every type was fun once but I'm not gonna do that in every single modpack. Make it so crops can inherit from all other crops and reduce the stat divisor to 1. Breed up your base crops (carrot, potato, etc) to max, then all you need to do is crossbreed them to make the new varieties, and those new seeds will be 10/10/10 to start. gently caress breeding up every type of crop to max stats.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Seriously just crank down the difficulty throttlers on Agricraft, crossbreeding maxed out crops of every type was fun once but I'm not gonna do that in every single modpack. Make it so crops can inherit from all other crops and reduce the stat divisor to 1. Breed up your base crops (carrot, potato, etc) to max, then all you need to do is crossbreed them to make the new varieties, and those new seeds will be 10/10/10 to start. gently caress breeding up every type of crop to max stats.

I agree.

Its like thaumcraft 4. once you've gone through the motions once, do it easy next.

I went and changed a few things in the config. So my rows of crops are breeding nicely.

That stuffed eggplant in a culinary generator really is awesome. 2 generators to power a sieve, and i have one powering an auto clicker (though ill try build the auto hammer). A redstone clock on a block placer and my cobblestone breaking is now automatic. (though the autonomous clicker does use the chicken hammer properly.)

My problem now is transport. Getting stuff from one block 2 blocks over... The BC pipes, didnt like them in regrowth, not liking them now. And no, i dont have the resources to build itemduct yet :/

I want to harvest my garlic/eggplant and put it into a chest. That chest then sends it to a workbench to auto craft (something tells me that the baking dish might upset my plans there), then the bench drops it into another chest.

What can i use? for transport?

(the transfer node that i have making cobblestone. Does that move stuff around? all i know it does is make cobblestone)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

What can i use? for transport?

(the transfer node that i have making cobblestone. Does that move stuff around? all i know it does is make cobblestone)

The item transfer node, with world interaction upgrade to make infinite cobblestone? Yeah, when you attach one of those to a chest (don't need the upgrade) then it will constantly try to take items out of the chest, and push them into receiving inventories at the other end of the pipe.

If you want to do super low-tech, I think the FTB skyblock has those wooden pipes that need a redstone engine to power the 'pushing' of the pipe. I can never keep straight what mods the various things come from though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Wooden pipes and redstone engines are from Buildcraft or BC for short.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Sage Grimm posted:

Wooden pipes and redstone engines are from Buildcraft or BC for short.

So as an aside, I've been playing regrowth with a friend. I like a fair bit about it though it definitely would have been an easier sell if the the author didn't have such a strict progression in mind. (For comparison, the other modpack I've played with this friend was AgSkies1 [fun!], and regrowth early game felt way more grindy.)

Also way too much crop breeding/etc. That said, if I redid it all magically with the knowledge I have now, I'd have enjoyed the progression more. I probably waited longer than I had to to build boilers, etc.

So, all that said though, I'd never really messed with BuildCraft until this modpack. I'd always heard of it - mostly bad things. I'm not sure if it's improved in the last couple years, or what. The biggest problem in my mind is that I can't see a way to keep pipes from just making GBS threads out their contents if a block reaches the end of the line...without just making everything a loop. Is there a trick? Is this because I'm using non-inserter pipes goign to barrels?

Basically I have my main coal source going into one barrel (insertion pipe to make sure it's full), then I have overflow going to three b-space barrels that go to other places in my base - all those are connected by cobble so it basically randomly picks a destination. But if it picks one of the ones that is full, it just *pops!*.

Other than a loop, or other than having something to hoover up dropped stuff, any better approach? Is this kinda the 'catch' with BC? Or do I need to do poo poo with gates? I feel like itemducts from TE were friendly insofar as their interface/when things would push through the system. (TE in general rules but doesn't apply in Regrowth)

Fayk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 8, 2016

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Fayk posted:

So, all that said though, I'd never really messed with BuildCraft until this modpack. I'd always heard of it - mostly bad things. I'm not sure if it's improved in the last couple years, or what. The biggest problem in my mind is that I can't see a way to keep pipes from just making GBS threads out their contents if a block reaches the end of the line...without just making everything a loop. Is there a trick? Is this because I'm using non-inserter pipes goign to barrels?

Basically I have my main coal source going into one barrel (insertion pipe to make sure it's full), then I have overflow going to three b-space barrels that go to other places in my base - all those are connected by cobble so it basically randomly picks a destination. But if it picks one of the ones that is full, it just *pops!*.

Other than a loop, or other than having something to hoover up dropped stuff, any better approach? Is this kinda the 'catch' with BC? Or do I need to do poo poo with gates? I feel like itemducts from TE were friendly insofar as their interface/when things would push through the system. (TE in general rules but doesn't apply in Regrowth)

Clay Pipes are your friend. They will ignore a connected inventory if it's full and continue on to the next pipe. Since you're running overflow, once it's passed all of the inventories you can pop a void pipe on the end for easy cleanup. Or I guess cobble again and have the excess excess fall into lava or something.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Edminster posted:

Clay Pipes are your friend. They will ignore a connected inventory if it's full and continue on to the next pipe. Since you're running overflow, once it's passed all of the inventories you can pop a void pipe on the end for easy cleanup. Or I guess cobble again and have the excess excess fall into lava or something.

Okay, they won't pop out at the invidivual intentory, but will still pop out at the end of the chain. Got it. I was hoping there'd be a way to not have them even extracted if there wasn't unallocated space somewhere downstream. (For my specific setup, they aren't being pulled out of anything, but I did a loop for my coke oven array to prevent this)

But really, aside from a few things that are annoying to solve, my opinion of buildcraft is actually not too bad. Well, some things are kinda weird, like the maximum throughput for fluid pipes seems really low? Are you supposed to just run a bunch in parallel? (with or without plugs)

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Fayk posted:

Okay, they won't pop out at the invidivual intentory, but will still pop out at the end of the chain. Got it. I was hoping there'd be a way to not have them even extracted if there wasn't unallocated space somewhere downstream. (For my specific setup, they aren't being pulled out of anything, but I did a loop for my coke oven array to prevent this)

But really, aside from a few things that are annoying to solve, my opinion of buildcraft is actually not too bad. Well, some things are kinda weird, like the maximum throughput for fluid pipes seems really low? Are you supposed to just run a bunch in parallel? (with or without plugs)

Oh! for that sort of thing you're going to need to dabble in pipe wires and gates and poo poo; I don't have a solid handle on that but I know you can have sensors that send signals to extraction pipes and such as like. Hopefully someone more BC-knowledgeable can chime in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Even without the 1 crop stat increase, I made a good system long ago i still show people.

To start, a simple plus shape of dirt:
XOX
OOO
XOX

Simply plant your four with a cross:

XPX
PCP
XPX

When the center pops, break the outer four and make them crosses:

XCX
CPC
XCX

Let them grow into the center, break the center. Rinse and repeat. Realistically, it's bet done only to get 10/10/10 Sugarcane seeds, which should be the first beeline you make in Agricraft.
Then, as long as you have the difficulty modifiers not cranked to Maximum Stupid™ you just set it up like so:
XSX
SCS
XPX
Remember that Sugarcane grows on sand, so with a dirt center, it's impossible for them to be the successful cross, leaving your desired plant to gain from 3 10/10/10 plants.
Then you just let any plant grow, then back, then in and repeat.