Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Your opinion matters, you just lost the election. That's how democracy works.

If it makes you feel better, right now "my informed opinion" doesn't matter either.

You’re right that your opinion doesn’t matter. Not for the reasons you are thinking though.

I went through that thread, just 4 or 5 pages for entirely masochistic reasons. I could compile a huge effort post pointing out the similarities between Chavez and Trump, and how populists appropriate ideologies to gain power and then go on to erode democracy slowly, but I feel like I’d be wasting my time. I can only imagine the shitfit you would throw if the leader of the Democratic College or whatever equivalent to the head of the CNE spoke out with public funds to say we must continue with Trump’s 21st Century America project at all costs like our dear friend Tibisay did.

Your opinion doesn’t matter because despite what you say, you are still grossly misinformed on Venezuela, to a degree which I find insulting that you even try to come in here and teach us, who lived through it, about it. Your opinion doesn’t matter because you put your own feelings above facts, above the lives of Venezuelans rich and poor, and when confronted with the fact that you held an incorrect opinion, you twist the entire situation to turn yourself into the victim of the mass famine and decay of our country.

Your opinion doesn’t matter because you know nothing, and in half a decade, have successfully learned nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Furia posted:

You’re right that your opinion doesn’t matter. Not for the reasons you are thinking though.

I went through that thread, just 4 or 5 pages for entirely masochistic reasons. I could compile a huge effort post pointing out the similarities between Chavez and Trump, and how populists appropriate ideologies to gain power and then go on to erode democracy slowly, but I feel like I’d be wasting my time. I can only imagine the shitfit you would throw if the leader of the Democratic College or whatever equivalent to the head of the CNE spoke out with public funds to say we must continue with Trump’s 21st Century America project at all costs like our dear friend Tibisay did.

Your opinion doesn’t matter because despite what you say, you are still grossly misinformed on Venezuela, to a degree which I find insulting that you even try to come in here and teach us, who lived through it, about it. Your opinion doesn’t matter because you put your own feelings above facts, above the lives of Venezuelans rich and poor, and when confronted with the fact that you held an incorrect opinion, you twist the entire situation to turn yourself into the victim of the mass famine and decay of our country.

Your opinion doesn’t matter because you know nothing, and in half a decade, have successfully learned nothing.

MaudDib shows their ignorance by conflating free elections with fair election. Chavez's last election was a fairly free election, and in no conceivable manner a fair election. Free means that individuals are allowed to vote for whomever they wish, without fear of personal reprocussions. Fair means that political parties have the same or similar access to opportunities to win votes.

A fair election would mean an independent media not beholden to obeying ruling party dictates for broadcasts; that public funds would in no way directly go towards supporting the ruling party's campaign efforts.

I do not know enough Venezuelan history to know whether fair elections existed before the first election of Chavez. From following Venezuelan politics since Chavez, I can say that there appears to have been no fair elections after Chavez. I do believe that free elections in Venezuela died the first time after the results failed to conform with the ruling party's ideology.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

My Imaginary GF posted:

Free means that individuals are allowed to vote for whomever they wish, without fear of personal reprocussions

Some Venegoons said that their friends and family suffered blowback due to their votes for the opposition. Was this true even in the Chavez era?

I’m not well researched in how elections are considered fair, but my impression is that the people making these calls tend to have big blind spots. In the US, a lot of effort goes into getting people off the voter rolls and making voting location access more difficult.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I know in the US, last attempt to stuff the supreme court with extra sympathetic judges was in the 1930's, under FDR. There was a huge political battle over it back then.

FDR got some of his new deal legislation declared unconstitutional, and he wanted to force through reforms he was reelected for.

In venezuela, that attempt actually succeeded, and the judiciary is now a corrupt arm of the psuv.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_Procedures_Reform_Bill_of_1937

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Labradoodle posted:

All jokes aside, you don't see a lot of Venezuelans here because of the paywall. I was obsessed with the forums when I was a kid because it seemed like such a cool place, so the first thing I did when I got a credit card was purchase a membership. Back then we could use $300 per year for online purchases, I think, and I happily spent my first $10 here.

My... mi hermano

Same!

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

My... mi hermano

Same!

Same here too. Came for the articles, enjoyed LT’s youtube channel and then got my own account years later

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Pharohman777 posted:

I know in the US, last attempt to stuff the supreme court with extra sympathetic judges was in the 1930's, under FDR. There was a huge political battle over it back then.

FDR got some of his new deal legislation declared unconstitutional, and he wanted to force through reforms he was reelected for.

In venezuela, that attempt actually succeeded, and the judiciary is now a corrupt arm of the psuv.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_Procedures_Reform_Bill_of_1937

This was in response the the Lochner era levels of actual judcial activism which are largely seen as the judicial branch making it literally impossible for the government to make law regarding the economy. Even Robert loving Bork called it, "the symbol, indeed the quintessence, of judicial usurpation of power"

Comparing it to Venezuela is insane.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Brazilian football team will be carrying its own food to Venezuela because the hotel ain't gonna have nothing, it seems. (In Portuguese)

https://gauchazh.clicrbs.com.br/esp...qobe2grtt0.html

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

ryde posted:

Some Venegoons said that their friends and family suffered blowback due to their votes for the opposition. Was this true even in the Chavez era?

Yes. Voter intimidation and retaliation against opposition voters was rampant in the Chavez era. Probably the most famous example of this is the Tascon List. As you can imagine, the fear that the release of the list caused among people lasted years and years. It's impossible to calculate how many didn't vote for opposition candidates or voted for regime candidates in subsequent elections over fears of a Tascon List 2.0.

To give you a more recent example, Maduro threatened public sector workers to vote in the Constituent Assembly election last year "or else". During a televised address a few weeks before the election, Maduro said:

quote:

Grab the rosters of every public institution and company to set up a Constituent Committee in each company, and call on all of the workers to organize how they are going to go vote on July 30 (...) At the end of the day, go over the roster. If [the company] has 15,000 workers, 15,000 workers should have voted without excuse.

If this is what's going on at the level of national discourse, you can imagine the kind of harassment and pressure that workers get by their managers to vote for the government.

That's just two examples. You could write a book on how unfair the Venezuelan electoral system is.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Hugoon Chavez posted:

My... mi hermano

Same!

My 10$ were a gift from an aunt that had some leftovers from the online money CADIVI used to sell. I was lured in by The Dark Id's and Chip Cheezum's LPs.

I have a Banesco account and this sucks because a friend occasionaly sent me a bit of money that I used to buy seeds or meds for my cattle :( .

I would also feel super lovely if I just left now that said aunt have been diagnosed with cancer and she has few relatives that would help her through it.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Earlier today, Jacqueline Faria was taking part in what looks like a campaign rally somewhere in Caracas. Jacqueline--who is a high-ranking member of the PSUV and former cabinet minister--lost control of the crowd and stormed off the stage. The event was captured on video.

In the video, a woman wearing a blue Chavez t-shirt shows Faria a food container which--based on the context--barely contains any food at all. Faria asks the media present at the event to leave the area, likely fearing that they would capture a humiliating exchange. The crowd doesn't want any of it, and Faria storms off the stage. [EDIT: This video was actually recorded yesterday at a protest staged by Caracas municipality workers. The protest was about the poor quality of the food that they receive from the regime's CLAP subsidized food system, and over the fact that while they have paid for CLAP food they have not received it recently].

Here is the video and my translation is below: https://twitter.com/ElyangelicaNews/status/992904800445632512

quote:

Woman in Blue: [Showing Faria a container] Look, this is the food we're eating here in Venezuela... [unintelligible]...

Man in Red: Look, the comrade [Faria] is asking me to get the press out of here. Do you agree that we should get the press out of here?

Crowd: [In unison] No!

Man in Red: The people rule. The working class rules.

Faria: Hi comrades, how are you? This area belongs to the Capital District [of Caracas]. This is where we work. The press can be out there on the street, but they can't be in our work places.

Man in the Crowd: Why not?

Faria: Because--wait a minute, wait a minute--the other thing is that this is right-wing press.

Man in the Crowd: Who cares?

Faria: This is a right-wing press--[Crowd: No! Who cares?]--that is here to... it's here to abuse us. They're against our government. Is that what you want?

Crowd: [Unintelligible yelling]

Man in the Crowd: Why is Venezolana de Television [a state-owned TV channel] here, then?

Crowd: [Unintelligible yelling]

Faria was Minister of Communication at one point. She is famous for saying that lining up for food was fun, and for overseeing a project that spent more than $600 million to clean up the Guaire river in Caracas. Faria promised to be done by 2014, but the money **cough** disappeared **cough** and the river is more polluted today than it's ever been.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 6, 2018

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:allears:

quote:

Faria: Because--wait a minute, wait a minute--the other thing is that this is right-wing press.

Man in the Crowd: Who cares?

Faria: This is a right-wing press--[Crowd: No! Who cares?]--that is here to... it's here to abuse us. They're against our government. Is that what you want?

Crowd: [Unintelligible yelling]

Man in the Crowd: Why is Venezolana de Television [a state-owned TV channel] here, then?
:roflolmao:
Help, I can't stop smiling and giggling.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Paul MaudDib posted:

Hi guys,

I haven't posted in D&D much lately. In fact, I think I've made a grand total of about 5 posts in the last 6 years. Mostly I posted in The Dorkroom for a while, then for the last 3-4 years it's mostly been SHSC and occasionally YOSPOS.

But Arkane remembered me though, and he PM'd me to gloat about how far down the shitter Venezuela has gone. I think we all need to give him a round of applause for how lovely Venezuela has gotten and how good that makes him feel. I hope this isn't too soon, but I think we may need to reconsider whether Fishmech is really America's Smartest Boy anymore, I think we have a new contender.

You were right buddy, the modern state of affairs is a truly great validation of your philosophies. As the president says, globalism rules and protectionism drools, and one might even say Venezuela is :sad:

I assume he probably PM'd other people to gloat about how lovely life is in Venezuela too?

"At least I don't exploit the misery of others to score political points :smuggo: "

Thanks for coming by and reminding us it is still a DnD thread. I might have been tempted to click on another thread in here.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Homeroom Fingering posted:

"At least I don't exploit the misery of others to score political points :smuggo: "

Thanks for coming by and reminding us it is still a DnD thread. I might have been tempted to click on another thread in here.

Nah, they just ignore the misery of others so that they can put brutes who cloak themselves in revolutionary and anti-imperialist rethoric on a pedestal.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
What would be the best way to help a venegoon from the US or to help one leave Venezuela?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

KingFisher posted:

What would be the best way to help a venegoon from the US or to help one leave Venezuela?

What he's saying. Not that I often could, but after I get job and figure out my move to FL, I'm likely to have money to spend, and knowing somewhere trustworthy I could put $20-30 per month to help Venezuelans exit that place would be a good way of paying it forward, I think.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Look at this, the Bolivar is worth more as a bag making material than actual money. Reckon these bags made out of bank notes will retain value a lot better than the Bolivar too.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Is it bad that I would absolutely buy one?

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Spacewolf posted:

What he's saying. Not that I often could, but after I get job and figure out my move to FL, I'm likely to have money to spend, and knowing somewhere trustworthy I could put $20-30 per month to help Venezuelans exit that place would be a good way of paying it forward, I think.

Yep, what does it take to get one venegoon out?

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Since the airport in Caracas is a joke most venegoons have taken to ride a bus to Colombia, and take a plane from Bogotá to anywhere else in the world. The bus ride is relatively cheap compared to plane tickets.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

KingFisher posted:

Yep, what does it take to get one venegoon out?

I think the only venegoon inside the country right now is Blue Nation, the guy who posted just above me. Several others have posted in the thread, but most of us already got out over the last few years.

Blue Nation posted:

Since the airport in Caracas is a joke most venegoons have taken to ride a bus to Colombia, and take a plane from Bogotá to anywhere else in the world. The bus ride is relatively cheap compared to plane tickets.

Man, that loving airport is nervewracking. Last time I flew out of there I went in super paranoid because of all the stories I heard about the national guard stealing your stuff and shaking people down for USD.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Labradoodle posted:

I think the only venegoon inside the country right now is Blue Nation, the guy who posted just above me. Several others have posted in the thread, but most of us already got out over the last few years.

Man, that loving airport is nervewracking. Last time I flew out of there I went in super paranoid because of all the stories I heard about the national guard stealing your stuff and shaking people down for USD.

El Hefe was still in Vzla and his last post was in december of 2016.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Labradoodle posted:

I'm also still in Venezuela, but I honestly can't see myself leaving the country in the short term while I can't get my parents to have at least their Birth Certificates Apostille-verified (which has been a nightmare of two months working with multiple bureaucratic platforms).

That said, if push comes to shove, I could accept leaving the country after graduating with just my Birth Certificate, High School Documents and all the worries for getting the Criminal Records (the last only lasts for three months) and work abroad to earn enough for my Programmer Certifications. Likewise, I have to wait for my sister to start investing in getting her Dental Assistant License now that she got her Work Permit in the States...

Anyways, going by land through Colombia is currently the most sensible option to get out of the nation, but leaving is something one has to do with a clear plan.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 10, 2018

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Labradoodle posted:

I swear if I turn out to be wrong and there's an afterlife, hell will look like Maiquetía to me.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AstraSage posted:

I'm also still in Venezuela, but I honestly can't see myself leaving the country in the short term while I can't get my parents to have at least their Birth Certificates Apostille-verified (which has been a nightmare of two months working with multiple bureaucratic platforms).

That said, if push comes to shove, I could accept leaving the country after graduating with just my Birth Certificate, High School Documents and all the worries for getting the Criminal Records (the last only lasts for three months) and work abroad to earn enough for my Programmer Certifications. Likewise, I have to wait for my sister to start investing in getting her Dental Assistant License now that she got her Work Permit in the States...

Anyways, going by land through Colombia is currently the most sensible option to get out of the nation, but leaving is something one has to do with a clear plan.

Where do you live and how much do arepas cost, in either $ or hours of work/effort?

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Where do you live and how much do arepas cost, in either $ or hours of work/effort?

Word of advice: This is the most annoying thing to ask a Venezuelan.

Besides I haven't visited if Arepa Dinner since months, so I can't give an accurate price for one, and the closest thing I knew about was that an Empanada was going for Bs. 150.000ºº two weeks ago but the minimum wage got a raise on this Month's First so that price is definitely outdated. Also, Corn Flour itself has a bit of a very warped pricing: the regulated versions has a definitely-sold-at-a-loss price of Bs. 25.000 and unregulated versions (like Corn & Rice) can be found at supermarkets at around the Bs. 150.000 price mark and that doesn't include whatever else you need to buy as fillings for Arepas (For starters, the classic dozen of Eggs costs a Million and a whole Chicken, which weights around a pound, costs Four Millions).

That said, one rule of thumb still stands: $30 can feed a "middle" class family of four an entire month, but to get that amount in Bolivares you'd need to be able to earn the equivalent of ten minimum wages and there's a current trend that Cash is worth three times its printed value thanks to its scarcity...

Also, Hell is made of waiting lines, paperwork and badly designed web platforms.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AstraSage posted:

Word of advice: This is the most annoying thing to ask a Venezuelan.

Besides I haven't visited if Arepa Dinner since months, so I can't give an accurate price for one, and the closest thing I knew about was that an Empanada was going for Bs. 150.000ºº two weeks ago but the minimum wage got a raise on this Month's First so that price is definitely outdated. Also, Corn Flour itself has a bit of a very warped pricing: the regulated versions has a definitely-sold-at-a-loss price of Bs. 25.000 and unregulated versions (like Corn & Rice) can be found at supermarkets at around the Bs. 150.000 price mark and that doesn't include whatever else you need to buy as fillings for Arepas (For starters, the classic dozen of Eggs costs a Million and a whole Chicken, which weights around a pound, costs Four Millions).

That said, one rule of thumb still stands: $30 can feed a "middle" class family of four an entire month, but to get that amount in Bolivares you'd need to be able to earn the equivalent of ten minimum wages and there's a current trend that Cash is worth three times its printed value thanks to its scarcity...

Also, Hell is made of waiting lines, paperwork and badly designed web platforms.

I apologize for the annoyance of the question. You answer it with good information. What we hear in American press is that Venezuela is a failing state, that medications are of such critical shortage thay individuals are dying due to a lack of them, that food costs are sky high for the average individual so much so that hundreds of thousands are streaming to Brazil to live, that your money is worthless and continuing to depreciate.

Would a less annoying question be, 'What are you favorite/least favorite lines to wait in?'

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This article is making me think that the "election" could be a tinder box:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-07/venezuelan-soldiers-said-to-desert-in-droves-with-vote-ahead

quote:

Military officers are joining the exodus of Venezuelans to Colombia and Brazil, fleeing barracks and forcing President Nicolas Maduro’s government to call upon retirees and militia to fill the void.

High desertion rates at bases in Caracas and the countryside are complicating security plans for the presidential election in 13 days, which by law require military custody of electoral materials and machinery at voting centers.

“The number is unknown because it used to be published in the Official Gazette. Now, it is not,” said Rocio San Miguel, director of Control Ciudadano, a military watchdog group in Caracas. She said soldiers are fleeing for the same reason citizens are: “Wages are low, the quality of food and clothing isn’t good.”

Last week, officers who rank as high as general were called in and quartered for several days at their units. Retired officials and militia members were also contacted by their superiors, according to one retired officer who asked not to be named for fear of angering the regime. Government officials are training these fill-in personnel for the election, said a second retired officer.

The shortage of troops comes as hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans flee a societal collapse, crowding cities and makeshift camps throughout the region in the largest mass emigration in modern Latin American history. Hyperinflation has made the currency virtually worthless, and malnutrition is endemic. Almost 2 million Venezuelans are living outside the country.
But the level of desertion from the Fuerza Armada Nacional Bolivariana has grown exponentially in the last year, especially among troops at lower ranks. At least 10,000 soldiers have asked to retire, Control Ciudadano’s San Miguel said in March.

“Since 2015 there has been an increase in military detainees accused of treason, desertion and other crimes,” she said. “Our estimate is that there are 300 people who are imprisoned, mostly troops. A few are senior officers, others are civilians linked to the military.”

A spokesman for the armed forces didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment on the desertions.

High-ranking members of the military are barred from much contact with the lower ranks . Lines of young military men asking for retirement are long, said the first retired officer. The officer tried to chat with one, but officers running the barracks forbade them from talking to each other. The retiree said top officers fear too much conversation will permit officers and enlisted solders to form alliances for a coup.

“Those who ask to retire are put into arrest for a week at the military counterintelligence headquarters,” said Gonzalo Himiob, director of Foro Penal, a human-rights group. “That’s how worried the government is.”

He said most leave the country after they are released. Himiob said that so many have tried to resign in recent days that the regime has no room to jail them, and many are allowed to quit.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 10, 2018

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

I apologize for the annoyance of the question. You answer it with good information. What we hear in American press is that Venezuela is a failing state, that medications are of such critical shortage thay individuals are dying due to a lack of them, that food costs are sky high for the average individual so much so that hundreds of thousands are streaming to Brazil to live, that your money is worthless and continuing to depreciate.

Would a less annoying question be, 'What are you favorite/least favorite lines to wait in?'

IMO How horrible waiting in line is depends also where do you live. I once waited 5 hours without shade at 35°C (95°F) in Maracaibo, and hated every minute of it. Waiting inside a bank is much more pleasant because there is AC and no Chavez/Maduro/PSUV sympathiser who feels the need to tell you that everything is the US's fault, said bank is in Merida, and people are nicer there as well.

The office where I pay my electricity bill has a poster announcing "we don't speak ill of Chavez here" so everyone talks about how inefficient the service is. The most cheerful line I've been part of was when I was getting a new ID at the SAIME because mine was about to expire, and those getting a passport where happy to be a step closer to getting out of here.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Wait, they're openly bringing in the colectivos to do a military job they don't have the manpower for?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Are there ways to remit money without it getting confiscated by the authorities?

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

ryde posted:

Are there ways to remit money without it getting confiscated by the authorities?

Yeah, it's pretty easy actually. Usually, I just use a service or send someone I know money via PayPal and they transfer bolivares to my account. There's a lot of people that send remittances regularly, so it's never hard to find someone to 'buy' your foreign currency. There are also people you can pay via foreign banks, a healthy Bitcoin market, and more. Keep in mind, though, that foreign currency itself never enters Venezuelan accounts since our financial system is cut off from the rest of the world.

What happens is, even exchanging $100 amounts to a lot of bolivares (around BsF 70,000,000 right now) so some local banks will get on your case about where that money came from. Banesco is the largest private bank in the country right now and most remittance services use it primarily since it's reliable. The fear is the government will now seize the bank, pay close attention to those kind of transfers, and block accounts if they think you're participating in the buying or selling of foreign currency.

Naturally, what they really want is to have remittances come through them, so they can offer shittier rates and pocket that money. They know people have no choice but to send money home, so it's a big gently caress you to people that depend on remittances to survive. For now, though, Banesco is still working as usual, so we'll see how that shakes out.

elgatofilo
Sep 17, 2007

For the modern, sophisticated cat.
I know it seems like I just pop into this thread to advocate for US intervention, but...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/opinion/out-of-good-options-for-venezuela.html

The mood in Miami is shifting and there appears to be more support for a (potentially military) US intervention at this time. Personally, I'm losing patience with the situation and could see potential for a limited US military intervention in order to protect both the US's and the Venezuelan people's interests.

Considering how infiltrated the NBAF is by Russian and Chinese interests, it seems like a bad idea to allow the NBAF to stage a coup and allow them the opportunity to install a Russia-China aligned authoritarian regime. It's not entirely clear how the US could control who gets installed following the collapse of the Maduro regime.

We're staring down the barrel of a de-facto oil embargo as creditors begin seizing Venezuelan assets (ConocoPhillips just began seizing Caribbean PDVSA assets) so the Maduro regime is likely to fall soon (Santos is running around telling everyone this, at least.) My concern is that when the NBAF deposes Maduro they will install someone worse. How can this be controlled?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
But what advantage does the US gain from intervening militarily in Venezuela, when they can just semi-idly watch 21st Century Socialism make fools out of leftists across the globe?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mukip posted:

But what advantage does the US gain from intervening militarily in Venezuela, when they can just semi-idly watch 21st Century Socialism make fools out of leftists across the globe?

Distracts from another failed trump infrastructure week

elgatofilo
Sep 17, 2007

For the modern, sophisticated cat.

Mukip posted:

I don't know who they'd be making a fool of exactly. In the US, those arguments don't work because if there's one thing California Democrats and the Trumpian alt-right can agree on wholeheartedly it's that Mexicans are (by genetic predisposition of course) stupid, and Venezuelans are just Oil Mexicans. Whenever I talk to a white liberal in the United States about Venezuela the implication is that socialism failed in Venezuela because "well, it's Latinos, what did you expect?"

On the other hand, the US risks making a fool of itself to the entire world if the NBAF installs a Chinese-backed authoritarian regime in its back yard.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What kind of interests are US interests and how much would it cost?

Isn’t the US moving away from oil dependence and the last thing we want is more foreign intervention.

Supporting a budding democracy or new government? Sure. But insisting on US influence instead of peaceful means? I’m not so sure about that and past historical record was terrible

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

caberham posted:

What kind of interests are US interests and how much would it cost?

Isn’t the US moving away from oil dependence and the last thing we want is more foreign intervention.

Supporting a budding democracy or new government? Sure. But insisting on US influence instead of peaceful means? I’m not so sure about that and past historical record was terrible

Arguably the risk of a growing refugee crisis is a legitimate reason for outside countries in the hemisphere to be concerned, and obviously the current leadership in the US wants to limit immigration (for less legitimate reasons) considerably more than most. Plus even with rising production in the US, an energy shock due to an ongoing collapse in Venezuela could be bad for the global economy. There might even be a few people who genuinely think this is a humanitarian crisis that needs to be solved, who knows. I don't think any overt intervention is particularly likely, as much because I think Trump would ask why other Latin American countries don't just deal with it as anything, but the US does have reasons to be concerned about the continuing catastrophe there.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kinda sad that the US would need to get heavily involved. Colombia and Brazil should be on the front lines of this. The longer this goes on, the worse the endgame is going to be for everyone, especially the neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The US is already putting over 15 million dollars into the relief effort for the refugee crisis.