Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

There's also this:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/05/doctor-strange-easter-eggs-spoilers

quote:

One of them is described as a Marine Colonel who has a spinal injury from using “experimental armor.” This sounds a lot like a reference to Col. James “Rhodey” Rhodes (Don Cheadle), whose character was partially paralyzed while wearing the War Machine armor in Captain America: Civil War. Derrickson has previously said War Machine wasn’t the one being referenced, but didn’t insist that at EW’s Q&A.

Another patient mention in Strange’s call is much more likely to be an important Marvel character in the future. Strange was far more interested in working on her: a woman in her 20s who was struck by lightning – a serious injury complicated by an electronic implant in her brain to help quell her schizophrenia.

When asked if this was a reference to Captain Marvel, who will be played by Oscar-winner Brie Larson in an upcoming film, Derrickson said he could neither confirm nor deny. But he was smiling (so infer from that what you like).

“Remember that Brittany Murphy movie where she goes ‘I’ll never tell…’” he said in a whispered singsong, referencing the 2001 thriller Don’t Say a Word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Sounds more like a way to do a gender-swapped Sentry than Captain Marvel. Combine the two for the movies?

(Please don't unless they go all out and film the Sentry on old film stock and pitch it as a restored, abandoned project from the 70s or something)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

This is awful if Derrickson isn't loving around with people. Christ.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's some sort of oblique Shazam joke / red herring.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I thought Captain Marvel was original in the military which seems counter to a schizophrenic.

Unless they're going with the "voices in your head are real, and they're from space, and now that lightning fried that chip you can finally connect to them" sort of thing comics love.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it's unlikely they're cutting out her military background, or making her that young too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Electromax posted:

I thought Captain Marvel was original in the military which seems counter to a schizophrenic.

Unless they're going with the "voices in your head are real, and they're from space, and now that lightning fried that chip you can finally connect to them" sort of thing comics love.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it's unlikely they're cutting out her military background, or making her that young too.

Brie Larson will be 28 or 29 when they start filming, so they're making Carol young, but not super young. But I agree, they can't cut the military background without having to rebuild the character from scratch. Going by their history, I think they're smart enough to not do that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Carol's age is actually given as 29* in Avengers Annual #10, which is roughly the age Brie Larsen will be when the movie comes out.

* That she manages to make it to colonel, retire from the army to become head of security at NASA, retire from NASA and become editor of a lifestyle magazine before she's 30 seems a little bit unlikely to me, but I don't know how much about how quickly people tend to progress through the ranks in the USAF.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lovechop posted:

due to an admin mix-up, ryan reynolds is now playing gwenpool instead

Alison Brie for Gwenpool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

Brie Larson will be 28 or 29 when they start filming, so they're making Carol young, but not super young. But I agree, they can't cut the military background without having to rebuild the character from scratch. Going by their history, I think they're smart enough to not do that.

Oops. I've been thinking it said 20 years old, not in "in her 20s".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

goddamnit

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Carol's age is actually given as 29* in Avengers Annual #10, which is roughly the age Brie Larsen will be when the movie comes out.

* That she manages to make it to colonel, retire from the army to become head of security at NASA, retire from NASA and become editor of a lifestyle magazine before she's 30 seems a little bit unlikely to me, but I don't know how much about how quickly people tend to progress through the ranks in the USAF.

Affirmative action. Whatcha gonna do

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Carol doesn't have to be a full bird Colonel at the start of the movie. I'm sure being a super hero will carry some promotion points.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not much of a military guy, but special promotions due to outstanding service or particular circumstances are one of those things that tend to get hand waved in movies all the time. Throw in a few dozen positions opening due to the Hydra infiltration from Winter Soldier, a few commendations and medals for outstanding service/valor/punctuality and maybe an honorary/field promotion and you could fabricate a believable fast track to upper ranks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I doubt most of the audience are really up on their American military rank lessons. The most famous colonel in America is a dead guy famous for fried chicken.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

That was literally the first thing I thought of when they gave us the line.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe it's a crossover with the Crightonverse via Terminal Man

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Man they have a gif for everything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm posted:

I'm not much of a military guy, but special promotions due to outstanding service or particular circumstances are one of those things that tend to get hand waved in movies all the time. Throw in a few dozen positions opening due to the Hydra infiltration from Winter Soldier, a few commendations and medals for outstanding service/valor/punctuality and maybe an honorary/field promotion and you could fabricate a believable fast track to upper ranks.

I guess the really obvious thing to do is just have her as a captain in the Air Force, end of.

Assuming they even go with the Air Force backstory at all, of course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have to, it's a big part of her appeal with people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most recent stories I have seen:

* Tom Holland is contracted to play Spider-Man in six movies

* Michael Keaton is playing the Vulture

* Deadpool 3 will have X-Force characters

* X-Men might be rebooted

* Gambit seems to have gone on an indefinite hiatus

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why would you reboot when everyone agrees the young X-Men characters were the best part.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man, going on hiatus, that is SO Gambit. They haven't even started preproduction and they've already got it right.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but I'm pretty sure Carol didn't make Colonel until after the Air Force. If the movie is while she's still in the Air Force it'd just be Captain anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deadpool 3? I'm assuming you mean 2, since we know they are trying to cast someone to play Domino who is X-Force.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heathen posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but I'm pretty sure Carol didn't make Colonel until after the Air Force. If the movie is while she's still in the Air Force it'd just be Captain anyway.

She was a Major in her first appearance, and promoted to Colonel upon retirement (to join NASA.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Why would you reboot when everyone agrees the young X-Men characters were the best part.

Doesn't make any sense to me either. Why even cast young marketable actors like Sophie Turner if you aren't going to make them the focus of movies going forward?

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Because Marvel has made over 10 billion dollars and they haven't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but the lesson if you want to copy Marvel is do the same poo poo and never change.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Deadpool 3? I'm assuming you mean 2, since we know they are trying to cast someone to play Domino who is X-Force.

No, they mean Deadpool 3.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

X-O posted:

No, they mean Deadpool 3.

You know, the second movie has been green-lit, starts filming in about three months, doesn't even have a director, and somehow giving Deadpool 3 the go ahead doesn't seem all that presumptuous.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Same studio already had a FF sequel greenlit with a date before the first was out. They're quick on the trigger and since Deadpool 1 was within spitting distance of Batman AND Superman they're milking this for all its worth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I read that the whip Strange creates is supposed to be the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I read that the whip Strange creates is supposed to be the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak.

The crimson bands are supposed to be the mechanical thing he uses, not the whip. I'm pretty sure the whip is supposed to represent his inexperience. When everyone else conjures death frisbees and blades and stuff, all he can pull off then is a line.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

The crimson bands are supposed to be the mechanical thing he uses, not the whip. I'm pretty sure the whip is supposed to represent his inexperience. When everyone else conjures death frisbees and blades and stuff, all he can pull off then is a line.

That makes sense.

I've seen some people complaining that it felt like Strange learned magic too fast, but I felt that the time was months, not days which some people are saying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Most recent stories I have seen:

* Tom Holland is contracted to play Spider-Man in six movies

* Michael Keaton is playing the Vulture

* Deadpool 3 will have X-Force characters

* X-Men might be rebooted

* Gambit seems to have gone on an indefinite hiatus

Gambit's probably on hiatus because Channing Tatum didn't want to get roped into a dozen movies. I'd be shocked if it ever happens now. And yeah, other than Quicksilver X-Men needs a total reboot honestly.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Heathen posted:

Well, she has to be called Captain Marvel for a reason...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's actually a good point. In the MCU it's kind of a weird title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

That makes sense.

I've seen some people complaining that it felt like Strange learned magic too fast, but I felt that the time was months, not days which some people are saying.

I think it was meant to be years, they just didn't really give a good point of reference for the timeframe unfortunately. I get the feeling the idea was to show him progressing inhumanly quickly in magical studies relative to anyone else, it's just they ended up making it look even more ridiculously fast in editing.

• Locked thread