Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Olive Branch posted:

From my own VH experiences... Make a second horde before attacking the first Norscan settlement. Be sure to invest points in horde growth in the blue line for your leaders, and remember that replacing lords is an option to shelf your high-growth lord for a brand new horde after five turns.

Your first few battles will be hard, especially against the dwarves, but hang in there. As soon as you can, build the Chaos Warrior-producing building and crank out a few of those armored infantrymen because early in the game nobody will have many armor-piercing troops. Keep sacking the north and vassalizing/subjugating who you can as you build up your troops of doom.

When making a new horde, transfer units from your main horde to the new one, as it can't make its own units yet. Screen the gifting horde with the baby horde to prevent getting caught out. The in-fighting attrition is negligible and you need a turn or two of consolidation and rebuilding. As soon as you can afford to get Chosen and the like, feel free to delete the Marauder buildings in your horde to open up population space. You should never need Marauders when you can have Warriors/Chosen instead, and even their upkeep will be low because your high-tier buildings will lower their upkeep.

Edit to add: And for the hate of Sigmar have a Chaos Sorcerer deployed in Bearsonling Camp at all times. Every single quest chain starts with deploying/moving one of those assholes to that area or the area just north of it.

ok first few hours:
-my god these lords are slow on foot.
-I loving hate Marauder Horsemen... chasing those assholes around the map sucks. ended up with 6 of them in my army so i can just out shoot them.
-I feel like I should have started with Sigvald for the hellcannon... The ever failure really sucks.

Varg destroyed skalling
by turn 5 dwarves had a full stack of thunderers and warriors and a second stack as well... So i avoided them but those kraka drak dwarves don't play around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't think I'll continue with my Chaos campaign, but one thing I found out was you actually stand a good chance of brokering peace with the Norscans by relentlessly savaging the poo poo out of Kislev. Sack/raze the Varg settlements for cash/experience/growth, but don't past Kraka Drak; just go terrorize the not-Russians and rack up relationship points until the Skaeling or maybe even the Varg give you peace. You can eventually get an alliance afterwards for replenishment purposes even; it's not like you need the vassal cash since sacking gets you so much favour.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

So how do you use cone magic attacks like wind of death most efficiently? Do you target units with the beginning or the end of the cone?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

You target them from a flank. Usually it's the best to wait until lines clash and then manouver your unit to a flank so the cloud hita the most enemies.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
You target them with the beginning (pointy bit) of the cone as far as I've been able to determine.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I feel the HP regen cap change is just fine, it was mainly put in place to stop multiplayer cheeze (like chugging potions on gorebulls making them almost immortal) in campaign you can still bring HP pots and heal up nicely.
Only if a unit takes more then 60% damage in a fight they can't heal back up past that (in that same battle, you can heal up fine next battle again), and if you get your heroes/lords that much damage that you use up 160% of their HP you're probably either trying to be super cheezy or mismanaging them.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yukitu's computer came back from the shop so the tourny contintues. These replays include some of the new units.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-adkQ5cVB5N0QxQXc/view?usp=sharing

Empire vs VC: Seems like Yukitsu wasn't aware that Knights of the Blazing Sun do magical damage and wreck ethereal units. But he rescued his Chillgeists and put them to good use tarpitting Karl Franz with their slow-down aura. Seems like unfamiliarity with the new units played a big part in this match, and Fascists army being a bit small.

Empire vs Orcs: Same story again in the second round with Yukitsu's Orcs just swarming the Empire army. Halberdiers aren't very good infantry most of the time and lose to units a lot cheaper than themselves, they are pretty much purely anti-large hard counters and that's it. Spearmen are almost as good against things like Boar Boys and half the cost.

Rules again:
Funds and unit size: Large
Timer:20 minutes. No stalling or evasive behaviour for the sake of achieving a draw.
Map: Kelp & Koldust for the first match. The loser decides what map to play in subsequent rounds.
Best out of three matches to decide the winner of each round. Post the replays and/or send them to me at muukip@googlemail.com

House rules with new starting map:
*No more than one healing item on the same character
*Max 3 heroes including your lord.
*No corner camping
*Max one summon creature spell per army

Semifinal bracket:
Yukitsu v Captain Beans
ZoninSilver (http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZoninSilverflame/) v Mukip (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Muukip)

Loser bracket:
ZearothK (http://steamcommunity.com/id/adievko/.) v Trujillo
Triskelli v Kaza42
Vox Nihili (http://steamcommunity.com/id/VoxNihi1i) v ubercrunchy

Mukip fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 7, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
My Volkmar campaign is the oddest Empire campaign I've had so far - I ended up force-confederating Nordland and then allying with Middenland to make war on Kislev. Appropriately enough, because it then turned out that one of Volkmar's quests involves sacking Kislev towns, but it does mean that the entire front line against Chaos is going to be... me. I'm so used to letting the elector counts take some of the slack against Chaos that this is probably going to be rough.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Can VC confederate with friendlyiesh vamp faction? They offered a NAP and I'm not sure.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Sekenr posted:

Can VC confederate with friendlyiesh vamp faction? They offered a NAP and I'm not sure.

Nope. You can make them vassals but in general your alliances with other vampires are ones of convenience. Except maybe with Mousillon, since they're far enough away that you can comfortably co-exist on either side of the mountains.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Lots of chatting about regen, but what did they do to magic missiles? Do overcasted shem's gaze still kill heroes in two shots?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Captain Beans posted:

Lots of chatting about regen, but what did they do to magic missiles? Do overcasted shem's gaze still kill heroes in two shots?

It might, but I've been using a light wizard in my campaign and it seems like the individual missiles in Shem's Burning Gaze now have much more scatter. I've had half the projectiles in a point-blank shot miss because they overshoot, and generally they seem much less accurate now. The spell description now says 'good against large targets' or similar, which I don't think it did before.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
In weird pseudo-leak news, one of the packages on steam was updated today with:

quote:

506190/name: Total War: WARHAMMER – Grombrindal The White Dwarf (506190) Depot

So that's going to be a thing, I guess.

Oh and CA updated the FLC poster for people who are really bad at filling in blanks.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 2, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ooooh, nice. I hope they wait until Malekith and the Dark Elves are in the game to introduce him, though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I release a sigh of contentment everytime I click the downloadable content button on the main menu and get "You already own all downloadable content"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

Oh and CA updated the FLC poster for people who are really bad at filling in blanks.

So, if the leak is correct we'll get Wood Elves next, with a Jade Wizard and the Lore of Life for the Empire to complete the sequence. Then the Greenskins/Dwarves lord pack with the free Legendary Lord and just then Bretonnia with an yet unknown DLC.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

Nope. You can make them vassals but in general your alliances with other vampires are ones of convenience. Except maybe with Mousillon, since they're far enough away that you can comfortably co-exist on either side of the mountains.

Wait, is there actually Mousillon faction in the game?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mukip I thought I was dbl eliminated

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Sekenr posted:

Yeah. They're just VC but on the west coast, though there have been several reskins on Steam workshop.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Mr. Wookums posted:

Mukip I thought I was dbl eliminated

It is my understanding that you last beat ZearothK but correct me if I'm wrong.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mukip posted:

It is my understanding that you last beat ZearothK but correct me if I'm wrong.

Mr. Wookums beat ZearothK in the first, ZearothK beat Mr. Wookums in the later matches. You are one third-right!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yukitsu posted:

Pretty sure that's wrong since in my matches against Classic Fascist my potion healed my wight king to full health, Vlad's passive regen topped him up to full health and the Mortis Engine's passive was healing itself to full health.

You can heal to full health. All healing stops working once a unit has received a cumulative 60% of its total HP in healing.

So most of the time you won't be hitting the cap. Double potion heroes and Lords will hit the cap. Undead super-heal builds may hit the cap if they're getting ground down for a long time, but they'll heal quite effectively for the first half of any engagement. A few units like crypt horrors and cairn wraiths are weaker now because spamming Nehek will eventually stop working if you target the same units.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

I don't think I'll continue with my Chaos campaign, but one thing I found out was you actually stand a good chance of brokering peace with the Norscans by relentlessly savaging the poo poo out of Kislev. Sack/raze the Varg settlements for cash/experience/growth, but don't past Kraka Drak; just go terrorize the not-Russians and rack up relationship points until the Skaeling or maybe even the Varg give you peace. You can eventually get an alliance afterwards for replenishment purposes even; it's not like you need the vassal cash since sacking gets you so much favour.

My favorite thing to do is curry favor with Skaeling by bullying Varg - don't even bother awakening anyone, just pave the way for a non-aggressive Skaeling superpower in the north.

You kind of feel like Skaeling's minion this way, which isn't so far off the mark given the power differential.

madmac posted:

This is a big loving deal.

quote:

Grombrindal, a.k.a. "The White Dwarf", is a unique special character from Warhammer Fantasy Battle associated with the Dwarfs army. On a meta-level, he is the iconic character for which their gaming magazine White Dwarf is named. In-universe, he is a mysterious dwarven warrior with an impressively long, white beard who sometimes appears when Dwarfs are beset by a particularly great and terrible battle, hurling himself into the fray and assuring the eventual victory of dwarfkind.

Who 'The White Dwarf' is nobody knows, but a theory that many fans share and which Games Workshop heavily teases is that he is the spirit of Snorri Whitebeard, last High King of the Dwarfs before The War of the Beard.

In essence, before Malekith got his douchebag rear end burned to a crisp by Asuryan, he and Snorri were best buds, so much so that when Snorri lay dying, Malekith was invited to see him on his deathbed. Snorri asked Malekith to agree to his dying oath that dwarfs and elves would always be friends, and Malekith agreed. As we all know, Malekith later broke that oath by manipulating the dwarfs and the elves into a hugely destructive war that ruined both races. The theory goes that this heinous betrayal of a sworn deathbed oath between two once-best friends was so mystically powerful it hauled Snorri's soul out of the dwarven afterlife, and ever since he has been determined to exact vengeance upon all enemies of dwarfkind. One must wonder how Malekith would explain this to his dwarf bud now that he got to be king of all the Elves evar, and thus isn't as much of a vindictive rear end in a top hat.

Like the true badass he is, Grombrindal posses up with the two other baddest dwarfs on the planet, Gotrek Gurnisson and Josef Bugman to defend the dwarfs during The End Times

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 2, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Vox Nihili posted:

You can heal to full health. All healing stops working once a unit has received a cumulative 60% of its total HP in healing.

So most of the time you won't be hitting the cap. Double potion heroes and Lords will hit the cap. Undead super-heal builds may hit the cap if they're getting ground down for a long time, but they'll heal quite effectively for the first half of any engagement. A few units like crypt horrors and cairn wraiths are weaker now because spamming Nehek will eventually stop working if you target the same units.

Ah, I see. I'm not sure actually if that will ever really matter, I can't think of many situations where I'd have units drop 60% and then die again anyway unless I've really hosed up but I guess it was annoying to deal with. Even there though, I kind of feel like I healed the chillgheists more than 60% total but that's a hard thing to measure.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It's possible that Nehek heal-ticks only count for half when calculating capped healing. Or not at all? I haven't tested it but that would almost make sense since I think their main concern was regen rather than something that's already capped by winds of magic.

Anyway, I think it's a good change and it's easy enough to mod out for single player for people who think it's not. Or if you just feel like re-living the glory days of nearly invincible sigvald. Personally, I've long-since modded fatigue such that the highest level means you have practically no armor or defense so solo heroes already didn't work.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Sekenr posted:

I really wish CA would develop them into a proper player faction with unique vampire units. Base it off Brettonia with some nice undead twists and some goddamn ranged units or artillery.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

ZearothK posted:

Mr. Wookums beat ZearothK in the first, ZearothK beat Mr. Wookums in the later matches. You are one third-right!

Fixed that!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ammanas posted:

I really wish CA would develop them into a proper player faction with unique vampire units. Base it off Brettonia with some nice undead twists and some goddamn ranged units or artillery.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Red Duke's rampage across Aquitaine was another mini-campaign. Was the specifics of Eye for an Eye mentioned in the leak or just Beastmen?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Arbite posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if The Red Duke's rampage across Aquitaine was another mini-campaign. Was the specifics of Eye for an Eye mentioned in the leak or just Beastmen?

The leak (startpos datamine) gave the names for the various mini campaign factions, i.e. Cult of Ulric, which doesn't exist in the Grand Campaign, and Warherd of the One Eye, which replaces the standard "Beastmen" faction name in the mini campaign. It's part of why it's predicted WE are getting a mini campaign of their own - startpos stuff listed a bunch of WE factions as well as "Morghur's Warherd" (or something similar, I forget the exact name) for DLC05

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mukip posted:

Yukitu's computer came back from the shop so the tourny contintues. These replays include some of the new units.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-adkQ5cVB5N0QxQXc/view?usp=sharing

Empire vs VC: Seems like Yukitsu wasn't aware that Knights of the Blazing Sun do magical damage and wreck ethereal units. But he rescued his Chillgeists and put them to good use tarpitting Karl Franz with their slow-down aura. Seems like unfamiliarity with the new units played a big part in this match, and Fascists army being a bit small.

Empire vs Orcs: Same story again in the second round with Yukitsu's Orcs just swarming the Empire army. Halberdiers aren't very good infantry most of the time and lose to units a lot cheaper than themselves, they are pretty much purely anti-large hard counters and that's it. Spearmen are almost as good against things like Boar Boys and half the cost.

Rules again:
Funds and unit size: Large
Timer:20 minutes. No stalling or evasive behaviour for the sake of achieving a draw.
Map: Kelp & Koldust for the first match. The loser decides what map to play in subsequent rounds.
Best out of three matches to decide the winner of each round. Post the replays and/or send them to me at muukip@googlemail.com

House rules with new starting map:
*No more than one healing item on the same character
*Max 3 heroes including your lord.
*No corner camping
*Max one summon creature spell per army

Semifinal bracket:
Yukitsu v Captain Beans
ZoninSilver (http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZoninSilverflame/) v Mukip (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Muukip)

Loser bracket:
ZearothK (http://steamcommunity.com/id/adievko/.) v Trujillo
Triskelli v Kaza42
Vox Nihili (http://steamcommunity.com/id/VoxNihi1i) v ubercrunchy

Do you mean max lord + 3 heroes or did you change it to be max lord + 2 heroes now?

I guess the "including" language is throwing me.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It's 3 total so lord + 2 heroes. I guess the new patch solves most of the problems these rules were meant to address but we may as well maintain consistency now.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Choyi posted:

I feel the HP regen cap change is just fine, it was mainly put in place to stop multiplayer cheeze (like chugging potions on gorebulls making them almost immortal) in campaign you can still bring HP pots and heal up nicely.
Only if a unit takes more then 60% damage in a fight they can't heal back up past that (in that same battle, you can heal up fine next battle again), and if you get your heroes/lords that much damage that you use up 160% of their HP you're probably either trying to be super cheezy or mismanaging them.

Its not "fine". You take more than 60% of your HP in damage all the time on Very Hard, and certain units are hit even harder by this nerf like Wraith units who have low HP. One Nehek will cap them out making them easy meat for anyone wanting to kill them. And what about Vlad? Both his legendary items give him regen, those will cap out within moments if he uses them in a real battle, making them useless, the ring especially comes to mind. Not to mention all the other items that are borked by this terrible restrictive cap like Sigvalds armor or Seed of Rebirth.

This is the most invasive nerf ive ever seen for this game and its completely unjustified, we've been chugging along for what, 4 months now and its not been a problem in the grand campaign if the VC had quite a bit of Regen on their side?

Also yes, you're right, this is a nerf to target Cheese in Multiplayer, MULTIPLAYER. So why should i who only play the Grand Campaign have to suffer because of what some low effort players do in a part of a game i never touch? I personally hate it when a game company goes about doing sweeping changes for all the game when its only really affecting one aspect of it, especially when its such a big negative change like this one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just download a mod and deal with it then, my dude

mods work fine for singleplayer and don't work fine for multiplayer. if they're going to drastically change stuff, id rather they focus on multiplayer, and let people have the single player they want with mods.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Gejnor posted:

Its not "fine". You take more than 60% of your HP in damage all the time on Very Hard, and certain units are hit even harder by this nerf like Wraith units who have low HP. One Nehek will cap them out making them easy meat for anyone wanting to kill them. And what about Vlad? Both his legendary items give him regen, those will cap out within moments if he uses them in a real battle, making them useless, the ring especially comes to mind. Not to mention all the other items that are borked by this terrible restrictive cap like Sigvalds armor or Seed of Rebirth.

This is the most invasive nerf ive ever seen for this game and its completely unjustified, we've been chugging along for what, 4 months now and its not been a problem in the grand campaign if the VC had quite a bit of Regen on their side?

Also yes, you're right, this is a nerf to target Cheese in Multiplayer, MULTIPLAYER. So why should i who only play the Grand Campaign have to suffer because of what some low effort players do in a part of a game i never touch? I personally hate it when a game company goes about doing sweeping changes for all the game when its only really affecting one aspect of it, especially when its such a big negative change like this one.

Source your quotes

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

just download a mod and deal with it then, my dude

mods work fine for singleplayer and don't work fine for multiplayer. if they're going to drastically change stuff, id rather they focus on multiplayer, and let people have the single player they want with mods.

I can agree with this sentiment and i DID get the mod i mentioned after the very first battle, the VERY FIRST battle as VC my Blood Knights (i went Vlad the Mad Dad of course) and Vargheists could not be healed by Invocation of Nehek because they'd reached their Cap.

Its just a dumb change and i will never see it as "fine".

Asmodai_00 posted:

Source your quotes

Dunno if you think im C&P someones rant on TWcenter or something but this is how i feel about it, and again when the cap comes up immediately in what is supposed to be a easy battle at turn 1, i think you have a problem.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The healing cap is especially dumb because the problem even in multiplayer was mainly with too good heroes and health pots. But rather then reverse the addition of health pots (a bad feature) or look at the ability of some heroes to wreck entire armies, they added a clumsy kludge

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you get good you won't need healing potions.

try rolling vs horizontal swipes

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Gejnor posted:

I can agree with this sentiment and i DID get the mod i mentioned after the very first battle, the VERY FIRST battle as VC my Blood Knights (i went Vlad the Mad Dad of course) and Vargheists could not be healed by Invocation of Nehek because they'd reached their Cap.

Its just a dumb change and i will never see it as "fine".

Dunno if you think im C&P someones rant on TWcenter or something but this is how i feel about it, and again when the cap comes up immediately in what is supposed to be a easy battle at turn 1, i think you have a problem.

You sound mad. Are you mad?

Yes, it is a bad, hamfisted change. No, raging about it on SA will not fix it. Mod it out, smoke a bowl, and chill out man.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014
So I know Sartosa is never going to be added in any official capacity (maybe as a non-playable faction like Mousillon) but thanks to the free company militia, I can see them being modded in. Seriously, the animation for having a pistol in one hand and a sabre in the other covers about half of Sartosa's roster. Man I wish Sartosa was officially supported by GW more, it doesn't get any better than vampire and zombie pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Got the Warhammer chest for Dota 2 from preordering this game. Sold it on the marketplace for 10$. Thanks for paying for my DLC Dota fans.

e: And the second chest they sent sold for 24$. They paid for all the DLC!

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 2, 2016

• Locked thread