Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Speaking of crowns...for someone not super into cosmetics or silly stuff too much, are there any particularly useful things I should look into?

I'm subbed so ESO+ is giving me some crowns, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

xZAOx posted:

Speaking of crowns...for someone not super into cosmetics or silly stuff too much, are there any particularly useful things I should look into?

I'm subbed so ESO+ is giving me some crowns, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

Bank/merchant assistant. Character slots. Race change tokens so all your characters can be Dunmer.

Nothing is really required, but those things may be nice.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Kinda burned myself out on Guild Wars 2 but still have the itch for a good MMO, so I've restarted my account here. It's amazing how much I've forgotten about how to play this game. Can i get an invite for @Mykander? Has much changed for Warden with the Sommerset release/patches, or is it mostly the same?

Edit:
Actually side question now that I've setup the client and got into some fights, is there a way to show what effects on are your target? I've got several damage over time abilities slotted from last time I played but I can't tell how to figure out whether they're actually active on the target or not.

nessin fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 24, 2018

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Snowy posted:

First has to be jester.

This.

When I'm crafting writs sometimes my client will bug out and instead of the crafting animation my guy will just pose at the crafting table, so I will get a vampire lizard wearing a snazzy suit posing his items into existence.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

nessin posted:

Edit:
Actually side question now that I've setup the client and got into some fights, is there a way to show what effects on are your target? I've got several damage over time abilities slotted from last time I played but I can't tell how to figure out whether they're actually active on the target or not.

Check the settings under Combat. You can turn buff displays on all the time, or Automatic for when you are fighting. You can also change it so the health/Magicka/stamina bars actually display numbers and percentages, instead of nothing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

banker is a big QoL boost and will end up saving you a lot of time (especially for things like moving gold around between half a dozen characters without having to park all your characters next to a bank)

merchants usefulness is pretty debateable however. it's nice, but 5000 crowns is a lot, and there's honestly merchants everywhere most the time anyways. not even near being a game changer like bank assistant. its handy when you're doing back to back dungeons like pledges

speaking of may want to save those crowns for more bank space. bank upgrades cost the same amount of crowns no matter how many times purchased, but go up in gold cost with each rank, so most people spend gold until they deem it too expensive then use crowns

general rule of thumb is (with a few exceptions) only buy things that unlock/benefit your account. dont buy things only a single character will make use of (ex: dont buy boosters, food/drinks, mount upgrades, vamp/werewolf bites, personal inventory bag upgrades, temproary dyes) almost all this stuff is free/cheap to get outside of the crown store

one minor thing i generally recommend people to get is the hair pack which is like 1000 crowns which unlocks like all the hair styles from character customization and you can change them whenever you want in case you get sick of your hairdo

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Banker is good.

DLCs are good.

Merchant is generally considered a waste since you can't repair.

Fence is useless.

Never buy poo poo like horse skills, vampire/werewolf skills, pots etc with crowns.

Never buy houses full furnished (generally crappy furnishing, and costs a decent amount more than unfurnished).

If you don't have any use for the crowns then you can also join a crown trading guild - currently each crown goes for 225 in there (you can definitely get crowns cheaper, but I'm talking about a trading guild, so significantly 'safer' for you).

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Coldforge posted:

Bank/merchant assistant. Character slots. Race change tokens so all your characters can be Dunmer.

Nothing is really required, but those things may be nice.

Dunmer stamsorc? That sounds like a good way to die a lot.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Uhh, I'm gonna disagree on the riding skills for crowns thing. Sure you CAN just buy those in game, but at a rate of one skill point per day. I find it pretty intolerable to play a character that doesn't have speed up to at least 20 and stamina up to at least 10, so when I roll a new character I can either wait A MONTH to actually play them, or drop a couple crowns to get them off the ground.

I mean it would be stupid to buy 60 points in every skill with crowns, but as a quality of life thing it's kind of insane to just suffer through that grind.

You can call it a bad deal, but it's not necessarily a bad idea.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Uhh, I'm gonna disagree on the riding skills for crowns thing. Sure you CAN just buy those in game, but at a rate of one skill point per day. I find it pretty intolerable to play a character that doesn't have speed up to at least 20 and stamina up to at least 10, so when I roll a new character I can either wait A MONTH to actually play them, or drop a couple crowns to get them off the ground.

I mean it would be stupid to buy 60 points in every skill with crowns, but as a quality of life thing it's kind of insane to just suffer through that grind.

You can also buy ride speed with gems you get from Twitch drop crates. 5 gems per.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Yeah, this is actually speaking to me right now, heh. I've been doing a lot of skill shard grinding. First character also being my crafter leaves me always feeling starved for skill points. More riding would really help me out the next few weeks.

I haven't really needed the banker or anything, since ESO+ gives me the crafting bag, but it sounds like something good to get when/if I let ESO+ drop off. I probably won't do that until I finish up the DLC stuff though, aka, not anytime soon. And even then, the crafting bag is just so nice.

I'm also a one-toon type of player in all MMOs, so banker has a little bit less of a usefulness to me too, at least right now.

Sounds like some later bank upgrades would be good too, although right now I have tons of space in the bank (because of ESO+'s doubling though).

But yeah, thanks for all the info and suggestions! Early riding upgrades, late bank upgrades, and banker assistant all seem like good fits for me.

Edit: Look at that starter pack that's on sale. 550 crowns, comes with 5 each of speed/capacity/stamina, that's a pretty solid deal.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 24, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

xZAOx posted:

First character also being my crafter leaves me always feeling starved for skill points. More riding would really help me out the next few weeks.

This was me until I did a few solid skyshard runs, that pretty much took care of it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Everyone didn't start the max amount of characters immediately, stuff a fuckload of money on each one and just log them in once a day to train riding? You have chosen... poorly.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Snowy posted:

This was me until I did a few solid skyshard runs, that pretty much took care of it.

Yeah, it's mainly what I've been doing lately - hitting up all the delves/skyshards/lorebooks/wayshrines in a zone then moving to the next. Public dungeons too when I can. I can't solo them yet, but usually if I hang around for 2-3 minutes someone shows up and I tag along, do the quest and kill the boss. Sometimes there's noone around or they go in some random other direction - I'll swing back by when I have more CP and better gear and hopefully then I can take it on.

Also finished Mage's Guild RIP Valaste, enjoy the butterflies, I loving need those 2 points.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

MF_James posted:

Everyone didn't start the max amount of characters immediately, stuff a fuckload of money on each one and just log them in once a day to train riding? You have chosen... poorly.

I occasionally have to delete and start new characters because I'm at max slots. Not an option for me anymore, it sucks :(

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Buying crown lessons is a waste of crowns, just watch as many eso streams as you can put on all your computers and farm the gems for the crate lessons.

The only thing you should be spending funbux on in the shop that can also be bought ingame should be personal account-wide bank space

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
i bought a fully furnished house. fight me.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Summerfall event hit 85% today. Totally getting that house.

Also, after getting a bunch of riding speed stuff from the store yesterday, then resuming my skyshard hunting, it was totally worth it (I got one 10x pack of speed, then the starter pack which had 5 each speed/stam/storage, then some more from the gem things, I think 5+ or more). Way better than waiting weeks for that (esp since realistically I usually play a MMO for about 3 months or so before losing interest, aside from EverQuest's Progression servers).

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I hope we get it to save me the crowns - else I'll buy the Alinor house with the nice balcony.

if we get 2 more 9% jumps we're getting it for sure. Let's hope it doesn't slow down.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
We need every goon that has summerset to mobilize for dat achievo on both megaservers. #forthemanor

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Valtonen posted:

We need every goon that has summerset to mobilize for dat achievo on both megaservers. #forthemanor

How would you go about making an EU account on the same game client?

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
Hi guys! A friend wanted me to try this game, so I got it. I have no idea what im doing so if I could get an invite to the goon guild that would be great(already joined the discord). I believe my username is @abrich.

Otherwise, the game seems like a breath of fresh air so far compared to other mmos.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

UtahIsNotAState posted:

Otherwise, the game seems like a breath of fresh air so far compared to other mmos.

As a new player too, I've really enjoyed the questing being much more story-driven without any bear rear end collecting nor "kill X enemies" stuff. I don't know any other MMOs that work that way. GW2 is probably the closest, but I really think their questing is its own beast.

The whole world being available to you from the get-go is also really cool - even though some other MMOs have started doing their own take on that too.

Overall it's a been a real fun time so far. I have some minor gripes, and from I'm learning about the end-game I'd probably prefer WoW's model better, but the overland stuff and daily random dungeons have all been a ton of fun to me, along with a great looking game.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

How would you go about making an EU account on the same game client?

If you have eso on steam then log out of your NA account, will take you to your main screen, there you have the option to switch servers to EU.

Simple as that, no need to create a separate account etc. Each user can have 1 account per server from 1 login.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JadaX posted:

If you have eso on steam then log out of your NA account, will take you to your main screen, there you have the option to switch servers to EU.

Simple as that, no need to create a separate account etc. Each user can have 1 account per server from 1 login.

Thanks! I'll do that on the EU node tonight then.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Did people really think they weren't going to give away the house no matter what? Can you imagine the shitstorm if they reached like 95% and nobody got a house?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I remember now that one reason I quit last time is because I hate the Warden Sub Assault skill (that's the stamina morph name, the one where the three bugs pop up out of the ground to do damage after 3 seconds), and Warden was the only class I took to higher than 26. I constantly clip it while trying to maximize the usage and having to constantly remember it's coming and I need to be pointed in the right direction just throws me and I screw it all up. Probably going to turn him into a healer but now I need to know what's my best option for flashy, fun, and can be used for brain dead farming class? I'm thinking either Magicka based Dragon Knight or Sorcerer, but is there a better option?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know what you mean, that skill sits on my bar but I forget to use it about 75% of the time.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

nessin posted:

I remember now that one reason I quit last time is because I hate the Warden Sub Assault skill (that's the stamina morph name, the one where the three bugs pop up out of the ground to do damage after 3 seconds), and Warden was the only class I took to higher than 26. I constantly clip it while trying to maximize the usage and having to constantly remember it's coming and I need to be pointed in the right direction just throws me and I screw it all up. Probably going to turn him into a healer but now I need to know what's my best option for flashy, fun, and can be used for brain dead farming class? I'm thinking either Magicka based Dragon Knight or Sorcerer, but is there a better option?

Templar would be my pick right now.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Did people really think they weren't going to give away the house no matter what? Can you imagine the shitstorm if they reached like 95% and nobody got a house?

It's pretty great marketing if it's like you say. And they can even sell furniture packs fitting the style after the fact for crowns on top of all the Summer set copies they sold.

Also people like this must be fun at parties - there are a bunch of nice individuals like that on the subreddit:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Coldforge posted:

Templar would be my pick right now.

I agree with this. It's not one of my favorite classes, but it really feels like the most straightforward to play, stamina or magicka, and I think it's the class that'll be hurt least by the upcoming balance changes.

It's pretty great marketing if it's like you say. And they can even sell furniture packs fitting the style after the fact for crowns on top of all the Summer set copies they sold.

Also people like this must be fun at parties - there are a bunch of nice individuals like that on the subreddit:

:cry: But if I don't have every possible opportunity to flaunt my wealth, how will people know how special I am?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 25, 2018

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hey doomfunk what do we have to do to get Wrobel straight up kicked off the combat team, because holy poo poo the level of retardo in his rationale behind the Evasion change:

Fake edit: I have more screenshots with what basically amounts to :wtc: coming from one of the class reps about today's meeting.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Some outfit updates:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those are nice!

Which style is the 5th one?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

speaking of outfits good reminder to any new players just starting out that the guild bank should have stacks of all the base racial motif styles free for the taking so you can round out your starting outfit options

just make sure to put the stack back after you learned the motif style

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Those are nice!

Which style is the 5th one?

Thanks! They're all mixes. The fifth one (black and purple/gold Argonian) is Storm Lord helmet with Welkynar chest, Fang Lair belt, and everything else is Fire Drake.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there an easy way to get decent gear (as a new 160) other than crafting it or running a bunch of dungeons? I know you can run World Bosses and Dolmens, but finding groups for those is a crap shoot that (so far) hasn't worked out for me. I'm using a set of 110 Stamina Gear on my Warden which is mostly fine in a group or killing random enemies, but I'm trying to farm Skyshards and Delves bosses are dicey from time to time depending on their abilities and Public Dungeon packs/bosses wreck me. I just can't afford a crafted set or the materials to craft a set myself yet, and I'm not looking forward to the farming for gold/mats I've got to do if that's my only option.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
There are decent sets that you can buy for cheap from guild traders that you can use as placeholders until you can get what you actually want. All of the Morrowind sets for starters, and I have a few other favorite cheap sets like Bloodthorn for magicka DPS builds, and Unfathomable Darkness for stam DPS.

Also, lots of goons will gladly craft you whatever equipment if you provide the materials. For farming wood/metal/cloth, I recommend Betnikh, due to the density of nodes and it being less populated than the other starting areas (you can't get there unless you port to a player who's there, or finish the main quest in Stros M'Kai).

What skin gives you those pink glowing eyes? Soul-Shriven?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 26, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

There are decent sets that you can buy for cheap from guild traders that you can use as placeholders until you can get what you actually want. All of the Morrowind sets for starters, and I have a few other favorite cheap sets like Bloodthorn for magicka DPS builds, and Unfathomable Darkness for stam DPS.

Actually I think I answered my own question a minute ago when I found a Guild Trader with cheap gear. I was using the TTC site to search through stuff but I never realized you could click on the level button to switch to CP instead of Level, and thus all my searching for gear before was hosed up and showing super expensive stuff at lower levels.

Edit:
I'm still going to regret missing out on the 100k this month because I checked in so late though.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rollersnake posted:

What skin gives you those pink glowing eyes? Soul-Shriven?

Ebony epidermis. It's not available any more, afaik, it was a limited time crown store thing. I use it on a lot of my Argonians (though usually I hide the eyes), I imagine it'll help their post-death resale value.