Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

for mothers day i told my wife i would do all the diaper changes. my daughter, knowing this, took four gigantic shits today. where did it all come from!

never underestimate the amount of poop contained within those wearing diapers

Twin B has diarrhea and now a painful diaper rash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My sister in law took my daughter to a rural grocery store to get us "awards" for various things this weekend and kid picked me out a can of baked beans lmao

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

External Organs posted:

My sister in law took my daughter to a rural grocery store to get us "awards" for various things this weekend and kid picked me out a can of baked beans lmao

hell yeah get beaned

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

because my son continually refuses to poop in the potty we've been putting a diaper on him overnight (which he immediately shits into). he's four so i know we just need to eventually rip the bandaid off but it's hard, obviously. he is fine during the day, wears underwear, pees in the potty when he needs to, has only had like one accident in the last year+, but im getting so sick of changing diapers at night.

anyway tonight he said he wants to wear underwear to sleep in. so maybe he is ripping the bandaid off for us? hopefully it continues. im not going to fight him about it if not until after this weekend because it's mothers day and i don't want to create some arduous task requiring both parents on a day my wife gets a break lol.

lobster shirt posted:

well good news my son did not piss in the bed overnight, maybe this is just the end of diapers for him. thank GOD if so. but we have had so many false starts with potty training i am trying not to get my hopes up.

i think we have finally turned the corner here, my son has spent the past four nights and also tonight in underwear - zero diapers. he didnt poop in the potty for a few nights which had me worried but the last three nights he has gone every time, including tonight, a bit before bed. so this has me feeling pretty good. i had been dreading the day when i would have had to tell him no more diapers but he beat me to the punch lol. sometimes kids just aren't ready until they are i guess. way to go lobster jr.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
happy mother's day except for this tyke's mother
https://twitter.com/ShibesOnTwit/status/1789105960297934865

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

for mothers day i told my wife i would do all the diaper changes. my daughter, knowing this, took four gigantic shits today. where did it all come from!

This is praxis, good job on raising her!

My wife spent most of the day tearing down the old greenhouse while I watched the kids. Not very motherly, but we're very much not celebrating.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Daughter is getting baptized. I'm Jewish so this falls squarely into "just don't tell her other grandma" territory.
But there were 3 mandatory videos we as parents had to watch before hand and they were like lifetime original bible-story movies.
So anyways, you can't make fun of the low-quality "I <3 baptism and you should get baptized, yes I know you're watching this video because you're already going to do it but let me keep selling you on it" video.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I went to my wife's cousin's daughter's baptism, which was weird because she's not really religious and the father is definitely not. The father's two mothers showed up for the event and even hosted the party, but they were very clearly not into the whole religious thing, for more or less obvious reasons.
Not to be too judgemental, but what's the thought process of getting the kid baptized? It seems like it's a weird default choice for a lot of people who don't go to church otherwise.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

HootTheOwl posted:

Daughter is getting baptized. I'm Jewish so this falls squarely into "just don't tell her other grandma" territory.
But there were 3 mandatory videos we as parents had to watch before hand and they were like lifetime original bible-story movies.
So anyways, you can't make fun of the low-quality "I <3 baptism and you should get baptized, yes I know you're watching this video because you're already going to do it but let me keep selling you on it" video.

You can't? Have you tried?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Both of our son's Jewish grandparents had similar assumptions about him having a bris but were pretty easily mollified when we told them it's less common these days. I imagine that kind of tradition minus the permanent-body-modification angle might just coast on inertia for a very long time

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BonHair posted:

I went to my wife's cousin's daughter's baptism, which was weird because she's not really religious and the father is definitely not. The father's two mothers showed up for the event and even hosted the party, but they were very clearly not into the whole religious thing, for more or less obvious reasons.
Not to be too judgemental, but what's the thought process of getting the kid baptized? It seems like it's a weird default choice for a lot of people who don't go to church otherwise.
The wife's side is catholic, so there's some cultural inertia expecting Owlet to be baptized.

ikanreed posted:

You can't? Have you tried?
I did, which is how I learned it's not allowed. Mother's day ended with my wife getting angry texts from grandma about this great offense I had comitted.

loquacius posted:

Both of our son's Jewish grandparents had similar assumptions about him having a bris but were pretty easily mollified when we told them it's less common these days. I imagine that kind of tradition minus the permanent-body-modification angle might just coast on inertia for a very long time

Thankfully Owlet was assigned female and we got to sidestep that, can't wait until it's Bat-Mitzvah time and then it's my turn to decide if capitulation to cultural pressure is worth it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bat Mitfahs are just fun. Like a Jewish quincineria

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

HootTheOwl posted:

The wife's side is catholic, so there's some cultural inertia expecting Owlet to be baptized.

I did, which is how I learned it's not allowed. Mother's day ended with my wife getting angry texts from grandma about this great offense I had comitted.

Thankfully Owlet was assigned female and we got to sidestep that, can't wait until it's Bat-Mitzvah time and then it's my turn to decide if capitulation to cultural pressure is worth it.

yes as a Jewish person who actually refused to have a bar mitzvah due to reasons I married an atheist however my daughter is friends with lots of Jewish people due to our geography and I am not sure yet how to handle if she wants a bat mitzvah.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you want to actively discourage a bar/bat mitzvah, it should be easy: tell your kid their party will be of normal scale and hosted at the synagogue or something and not like whatever lavish extravaganzas they're imagining. This caused my wife to opt out of a bat mitzvah and her parents were (at the time) practicing (her mom has since then converted to Catholicism lol). It's actually a lot of work to have a bar/bat mitzvah without embarrassing yourself (I literally quit karate class so I could take bar mitzvah lessons) so absent any cultural pressure from you / your family your kid will probably be imagining a pretty big party to make it worth the trouble.

That said, though, bar / bat mitzvahs are fun and inoffensive IMO. Mine was of normal scale and hosted at the synagogue and I still had a blast.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We're probably just going to tell the kids they can have a biggish 13th party, or pick somewhere in the world for an awesome international trip.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
We simply never stop partying

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my older kid goes to a preschool which is predominantly Jewish, we live inside the eruv area from the nearby synagogue although neither my family or the preschool are denominational. All the families recently got their school placements for when the kids start in September (4-5 age bracket) and as expected the observant families are sending their kids to the faith schools. It feels like its caused a bit of a rift as they've peeled off from the preschool parents social media group and formed their own, which is understandable I guess and i assume they already know each other from synagogue, but the playdates etc have dried up and the secular kids are left with a hugely depleted out-of-school social circle now.

Not much to be done about it I guess but my son is struggling a bit with the idea that as kids get older and transition into school that people and cliques will come and go.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mean, being friends with kids from families so religious that they send their kids to religious school would get increasingly weird as they age anyway, but you can't really explain that to a toddler

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I went to after-school Hebrew school three times a week as a kid but that still seems different from sending them to religious school as their only school. There are Catholic schools everywhere where I live too and that also sounds weird to me

I honestly feel a little conflicted about Hebrew school though. Like, I don't want to send my kids to receive instruction from a religious institution OR cruelly rip their Saturday mornings away from them when I don't even practice the religion, but the idea of my kids not being able to read Hebrew or say the Shabbat prayers also feels like something is missing and like I'm letting my family get assimilated and imperialism-ed. I wish there was more Jewish culture not explicitly tied to either religion or zionism. Gonna take my kids to see Fiddler or something

e: yes I know Shabbat is also religious, I just find it particularly wholesome and not necessarily tied to anything else. Blame my mom for doing such a good job with it I guess

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Brother, have to seen Knuckles The Echidna on Paramount+? It might be the answer you are seeking. Jewish stuff without the Zion.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Please elaborate

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've only watched the first episode, but I read a couple of think pieces. Turns out Knuckles (voiced by Idris Elba) gets adopted by a Jewish family and does Shabott on like episode 4. It seems cute.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

I've only watched the first episode, but I read a couple of think pieces. Turns out Knuckles (voiced by Idris Elba) gets adopted by a Jewish family and does Shabott on like episode 4. It seems cute.

:hmmyes: zoomer rugrats

Glad there's at least one kids' show mentioning Judaism per generation

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
All part of the multi phase plan to enfurrinize are children :argh:

I may have already lost the battle but you don't have to!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lmao

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

:hmmyes: zoomer rugrats

Glad there's at least one kids' show mentioning Judaism per generation

Yes! Exactly that same vibe.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
knuckles gonna love brisket

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Firebuds on Disney features Jewish characters celebrating Hanukah, but one of the characters is a cop, so not sure if it counts.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Looks like our daycare is going to get wrecked as part of the proprietor's divorce proceedings. :negative:

Silver lining I guess is that I was laid off almost three months ago so I can just take care of the kid until we get into a new one. Hoping it will be easier to place a soon-to-be-2-year-old than it was an infant.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Getting a text from ur wife be like

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One memorable night last year my daughter discovered how funny it was to fart in the bathtub, and less than 2 minutes later poo poo in the bathtub

Luckily she hasn't done so again since

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

neither of my kids has ever poo poo in the bathtub and i am so grateful

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

although one time my daughter stood up and took a huge long piss during bathtime. thankfully i was basically finished bathing her so i didnt really feel like i had to redo anything. just yanked her out and drained the tub.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

neither of my kids has ever poo poo in the bathtub and i am so grateful

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter doesn't have poop mistakes in general (crossed fingers) but I think last week or thereabouts she DID get called in to take her shared bath with her brother and announce that she couldn't get in the bath yet because she had to poop

and then proceed to just get onto the toilet next to me and take an extremely laborious poo poo which I had to just kind of sit through because her baby brother was already in the tub and I couldn't leave him in there unattended

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

One of mine did a poo poo in the bath once, it was during potty training so while disgusting was understandable.

Seeing as we are talking about poo poo - how do they produce so much? They sometimes forget to flush and I find it hours later and there is just so much! I am a fully grown man and I would be proud of that amount of poo poo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yesterday we had a blowout and she waited until afterwe cleaned her, put down a new mat, to then piss the new mat and herself before the diaper was on

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Cloth nappies are the one if you don't want to deal with poonami's.

You will see some poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
We used the bamboo diaper cloth underneath a shell. We still have them. They're good cloth. We use them for all kinds of things now that the children no longer poo poo in them.