Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

i know it's not this but i'm having fun imagining it's just the friday the 13th game going KI KI KI MA MA MA over and over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

serefin99 posted:

Ehhh, there aren't many shards or weapons I would call outright bad, you just need to prefer certain playstyles to like them. Even ones that are explicitly meant to be a joke, like Summon Chair, tend to have SOME use if you're willing to upgrade them.

Ironically, I feel like one of the truly 'bad' weapons in the game is actually the 'ultimate' gun.

The real problem is that you only have the resources to upgrade a handful of shards to endgame levels without doing a poo poo ton of grinding.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just listened to a podcast about Vampire Survivors and this sounds like the less fun version.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Some of the locations in the furthest areas of Forspoken, or at least in Praenost, don't seem to appear on the map when using the belfries so there is almost no way to find some things if you don't know exactly where they are. I had this issue in the Fields of the fallen and the Mustering Grounds.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Heh

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Meowywitch posted:

Be sure you do ask him because I'm curious now too

I just texted him, apparently it was the Goosebumps point-and-click!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I picked up Journey to the Savage Planet thinking it would be a slam dunk. A humorous, colorful Metroidvania? Hell yes sign me up.

Sadly the subjective nature of humor meant that literally nothing landed with me. A bit after the first boss I had been stone faced the entire time, even annoyed because the attempts to be funny were constant.

It also just didn't feel good to play. No map meant that if you thought you remembered something you could do you had to run all the way back to that spot, and you had limited stamina to get there.
Combat felt too slow on my end, a miniboss (?) enemy where you had to shoot its tail was a pain because the dodge you're supposed to use to avoid it and get behind it didn't seem to come out at all half the time, and didn't really move me far enough when it did.
The colorful environments that were supposed to be a draw felt very boring and trite, things that I had seen before dozens of times in other, better games.

After a few hours of playing I just resolved not to touch the game again and waste my time when I wasn't having fun and went off to play Metroid Prime Remastered again for like the fourth time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I can tell I'm going to hate this Wheels minigame in Sea of Stars.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ashsaber posted:

I picked up Journey to the Savage Planet thinking it would be a slam dunk. A humorous, colorful Metroidvania? Hell yes sign me up.

Sadly the subjective nature of humor meant that literally nothing landed with me. A bit after the first boss I had been stone faced the entire time, even annoyed because the attempts to be funny were constant.

It also just didn't feel good to play. No map meant that if you thought you remembered something you could do you had to run all the way back to that spot, and you had limited stamina to get there.
Combat felt too slow on my end, a miniboss (?) enemy where you had to shoot its tail was a pain because the dodge you're supposed to use to avoid it and get behind it didn't seem to come out at all half the time, and didn't really move me far enough when it did.
The colorful environments that were supposed to be a draw felt very boring and trite, things that I had seen before dozens of times in other, better games.

After a few hours of playing I just resolved not to touch the game again and waste my time when I wasn't having fun and went off to play Metroid Prime Remastered again for like the fourth time.

Good call. That game had no idea what makes a good metroidvania and threw in a bunch of dumb trendy poo poo (harvesting materials ala Minecraft to craft the majority of your upgrades rather than finding them, corpse runs because :darksouls:)...but it has a scan visor, so it's just like Metroid Prime, right? Right??

For as much as I post itt, it's genuinely rare that I hold a game in contempt. That game was a rare exception, in large part thanks to its dire attempts to be funny.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Can we talk about FromSoft's other mech games? Such as the Steel Battalion game for the Xbox 360 kinect?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I only want to talk about Metal Wolf Chaos

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Croccers posted:

Can we talk about FromSoft's other mech games? Such as the Steel Battalion game for the Xbox 360 kinect?

talk about w/e

:justpost:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Morpheus posted:

I can tell I'm going to hate this Wheels minigame in Sea of Stars.

don't think i've got to that bit yet, but i did almost cringe out of my skin on first meeting the pirates in the port town

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Sally posted:

talk about w/e

:justpost:

I just wanted to remind people that From made it, that's all.
The kinect is actually pretty neat piece of tech but hell folks struggled to make games with it. Seems like it's biggest use atm is a cheap full motion body tracker for VR and such.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

serefin99 posted:

Ehhh, there aren't many shards or weapons I would call outright bad, you just need to prefer certain playstyles to like them. Even ones that are explicitly meant to be a joke, like Summon Chair, tend to have SOME use if you're willing to upgrade them.

Ironically, I feel like one of the truly 'bad' weapons in the game is actually the 'ultimate' gun.

I don’t think I hardly ever used guns, there’s just so. many. options if you want to just snipe something using your cooldown MP meter, instead of bullets which are an actual finite resource.

And I might have complained about it years ago when I first beat it, but it’s very lame to have a game where one of the main gimmicks is a lot of powers and not having an NG+ option to keep your shards for stuff like permanent drop rate+ but to start back at level 1.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The new Samba de Amigo on Switch is both too easy AND too difficult.

They've completely ditched any timing needed to shake the maracas. If you just continually shake them over one of the targets you'll automatically get perfect beat ratings, which means most of the musical challenge is gone.

To make up for that the single-player challenges are brutal. For example, the second level asks you to finish a song while only missing two notes, which is ridiculous to ask someone who might have been playing the game for ten minutes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

That sounds terrible.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

That sounds terrible.

I mean, t's still goofy party fun, but once I realized that timing your shakes doesn't matter at all any ambition I had to actually get good vanished.

e: anyway, I bought third party maraca holders for the JoyCons so I'm not giving up on it yet

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

don't think i've got to that bit yet, but i did almost cringe out of my skin on first meeting the pirates in the port town

Yeah that one pirate is exhausting.

The Wheels minigame is basically competitive slots which means there's nothing preventing you from getting poo poo and your opponent racking in a bunch of stuff to defeat you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

had my first crack at it today and yeah, it'd be good if there was a relic you could equip that turned the game into a coinflip. because that's essentially what it is

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

i just want to register my annoyance that ps5 baldur's gate is digital only

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
The long-awaited third episode of illusory wall's Demon's Souls Compare-Thru finally dropped today, and as you can tell from the fact it's almost two hours long, there's a lot to unpack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbs-HESbWDA

While I could tell from the previous entries that the overall direction on the Demon's Souls remake was fractured, with the lead devs erring on the side of "who gives a poo poo what the original intent was when we can do better" while some other devs were more inclined to try following the original as best they could to varying degrees of faithfulness, the fact that in the remake the blacksmith bros both wear what are obviously meant to be one half of the Hands of God gauntlets that they drop when killed, but their gauntlets are completely different not only from the original DeS version but also the version you get to wear in the remake, because the character designers and item designers clearly didn't talk to one another at all about this, really cinches that notion.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I am about 3 hours in and still can't tell if I like or hate Sea of Stars.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Doctor Bishop posted:

The long-awaited third episode of illusory wall's Demon's Souls Compare-Thru finally dropped today, and as you can tell from the fact it's almost two hours long, there's a lot to unpack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbs-HESbWDA

While I could tell from the previous entries that the overall direction on the Demon's Souls remake was fractured, with the lead devs erring on the side of "who gives a poo poo what the original intent was when we can do better" while some other devs were more inclined to try following the original as best they could to varying degrees of faithfulness, the fact that in the remake the blacksmith bros both wear what are obviously meant to be one half of the Hands of God gauntlets that they drop when killed, but their gauntlets are completely different not only from the original DeS version but also the version you get to wear in the remake, because the character designers and item designers clearly didn't talk to one another at all about this, really cinches that notion.

I still love how weirdly, and intensely, angry people would get if you so much as said you liked the way the original game looked more than the remake did when it first came out. Souls fans are hosed up little dudes.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The little thing dragging down En Garde is… just how little it is.

The mechanics and style and writing are all great, but I beat the game in 4 hours, and that was after starting on the hardest difficulty and dying between 15-25 times per level.

There is an arena mode, but I got through all 4 levels in another hour. The gameplay is so fun, I just want more!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

moosecow333 posted:

The little thing dragging down En Garde is… just how little it is.

The mechanics and style and writing are all great, but I beat the game in 4 hours, and that was after starting on the hardest difficulty and dying between 15-25 times per level.

There is an arena mode, but I got through all 4 levels in another hour. The gameplay is so fun, I just want more!

A short good game that doesn't outstay its welcome and leaves you wanting more?

Sold!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Breetai posted:

A short good game that doesn't outstay its welcome and leaves you wanting more?

Sold!

Yeah no joke. We need way more games like this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Case of the Golden Idol released another DLC, yet I still can't be arsed to fix my PC.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DoubleNegative posted:

A lot of people when Bloodstained first came out were using the Portrait shard and the Directional Arrow shard. The arrow shard in particular, as you level it up, turns into a point blank shotgun. Bloodstained really is all about finding something that works for you and running that poo poo into the ground.

This turned out to be a pretty good tip, the arrow shotgun has been serving me well. Apparently the portrait shard got nerfed at some point, but as was also said I've haven't felt much reason to switch off the starting bullet soul. Which I guess is its own flaw. Otherwise what helped get me over the hump was using the budget Crissaegrim that the barbers drop.

Though shortly afterwards the game also just eased the hell up. The starting hour~ is truly confounding for how unforgiving it is. I'm now at a point where way more of the game world has opened up, I've blundered down a whole entire technically-optional path and gotten the hilariously abrupt bad ending, and am generally having more fun. Turning on the game's built-in input delay fix option has noticeably helped, even if it hasn't 100% cleared up the problems.

The consistent let down has been the boss fights. Things have kind of swung in the opposite direction where the boss fights are now a little too simplistic and uninteresting and a little too easy to just pump damage into for where I'm at in the game. The hardest one has been the twin dragons, and basically that entire chunk of the game feels like an awkward attempt at recapturing the spectacle bosses from previous Igavanias.

Doesn't help that the Metroidvania logic completely breaks down at that point. You need to have a big setpiece fight on a corkscrew tower against two giant dragons...so they can fall down in a janky cutscene and create an opening to a single golden chest containing the chemical needed to perform this newfangled Photo Graph process. Then you need to bring said picture to legally-distinct Alucard so he can paste it onto a train pass. Because there's electronic gates requiring ID in order to board the train, you see. It's just a perfectly obvious series of events.

The only hint you even get is that there's a little photography studio set up in the hub and examining it will have the relevant character tell you she's looking for the chemical. No other part of the process is signposted at all. (Okay, the gates have a strange little text pop up that says they're checking for ID.) Even knowing ahead of time this was a Thing people regularly got stuck on I was still bamboozled by it.

Edit: Oh, and also probably the other problem is that my preference is for big heavy weapons and/or blunt weapons and the game largely does both a disservice. I have no idea why big two hand swords exist in the early game where they fail to deal appreciably higher DPS than faster weapons and you can and will be knocked out of your swings by everything. A bit earlier in my mid-game exploration I found the three-part staff that's inexplicably classed as a spear and despite having similar limitations it had actual decent numbers on it and could kill things quickly enough to make it worth the trouble.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Sep 1, 2023

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Croccers posted:

I just wanted to remind people that From made it, that's all.
The kinect is actually pretty neat piece of tech but hell folks struggled to make games with it. Seems like it's biggest use atm is a cheap full motion body tracker for VR and such.

It's great for DIY AR sand topography tables. Our education district has at least 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4uvkAStPc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Riatsala posted:

It's great for DIY AR sand topography tables. Our education district has at least 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4uvkAStPc

Our local natural history museum has one of those, it's pretty neat. If only they'd look into whatever maintenance you can do with them, its responsiveness has gone down over the years :sigh:

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I am about 3 hours in and still can't tell if I like or hate Sea of Stars.

Overall I'm really enjoying Sea of Stars but I think they went a little too far in taking the grinding out of the game; instead it feels like leveling up is kind of useless, and as much as I appreciate the effort it makes fights seem a little pointless, especially when you're backtracking. Plus, in my opinion it robs the characters of some characterization since the whole party is always at the same level.

I remember thinking the same thing about Child of Light so maybe it's just something about game studios from Quebec and RPGs.

Another thing SoS and CoL have in common is bad French puns as enemy names.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CordlessPen posted:

Overall I'm really enjoying Sea of Stars but I think they went a little too far in taking the grinding out of the game; instead it feels like leveling up is kind of useless, and as much as I appreciate the effort it makes fights seem a little pointless, especially when you're backtracking. Plus, in my opinion it robs the characters of some characterization since the whole party is always at the same level.

I remember thinking the same thing about Child of Light so maybe it's just something about game studios from Quebec and RPGs.

Another thing SoS and CoL have in common is bad French puns as enemy names.

What french puns are in SoS?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've also run into the sorta infamous act 1 boss of AC6, and while the boss itself is mostly fine the surrounding circumstances aren't:

1. It's at the very end of a regular mission with an annoying miniboss ahead of it, all of which you'll have to redo if you want/need to buy new parts to set your ac up differently
2. The whole time through a new NPC is constantly yammering into your ear about something or other that you really can't pay attention to but is thoroughly distracting nonetheless
3. Some of the visual effects of the boss are so loving busy that I genuinely cannot see what is going on

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Case of the Golden Idol released another DLC, yet I still can't be arsed to fix my PC.

It's really bad because the second mystery is kicking my rear end. It must be broken.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Icochet posted:

It's really bad because the second mystery is kicking my rear end. It must be broken.

The cases in this DLC are much harder than the ones in the base game and the first DLC, that's for sure. I didn't really catch on what the deal with the titular Lemurian Vampire was until after solving the third case, by throwing random inputs at some of the remaining prompts.

I won't spoil anything but if there are any particular areas where a hint would be helpful I could share a pointer or two.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Morpheus posted:

What french puns are in SoS?

I'm not that far into the game yet but one I remember is the enemy that's plugging the holes in the mines is called something like Bushtru (Bouche-trou, a stopgap but translated literally means to plug a hole), and the wizard you're after in that same area is called something like Malkumud (Malcommode which means Inconvenient but in Quebec is way more often used as an endearing term to describe a misbehaving kid). Also the boat captain's name is Klee Shea (Cliché) but that's not strictly French, even though it also kinda is.

Maybe "pun" is stretching it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CordlessPen posted:

I'm not that far into the game yet but one I remember is the enemy that's plugging the holes in the mines is called something like Bushtru (Bouche-trou, a stopgap but translated literally means to plug a hole), and the wizard you're after in that same area is called something like Malkumud (Malcommode which means Inconvenient but in Quebec is way more often used as an endearing term to describe a misbehaving kid). Also the boat captain's name is Klee Shea (Cliché) but that's not strictly French, even though it also kinda is.

Maybe "pun" is stretching it.

Man, I was wondering about Malkumud, I knew it was unusual enough that it had to mean something but I didn't think it'd be in french.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i continue to want to beat all the Sea of Stars pirates to death with hammers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Malkumindimidle