Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Perestroika posted:

2. The whole time through a new NPC is constantly yammering into your ear about something or other that you really can't pay attention to but is thoroughly distracting nonetheless

I couldn't really hear what she was saying either but one thing I could make out was like "I've taken your comms offline because you really need to focus on winning this fight" :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
For a visual novel, Buried Stars makes my PS4's fan go nuts. :stare:

Perestroika posted:

I've also run into the sorta infamous act 1 boss of AC6, and while the boss itself is mostly fine the surrounding circumstances aren't:

1. It's at the very end of a regular mission with an annoying miniboss ahead of it, all of which you'll have to redo if you want/need to buy new parts to set your ac up differently
2. The whole time through a new NPC is constantly yammering into your ear about something or other that you really can't pay attention to but is thoroughly distracting nonetheless
3. Some of the visual effects of the boss are so loving busy that I genuinely cannot see what is going on

My partner attempted this fight so many times that he almost spiked his controller on the ground in victory when he finally beat it the other night. Meanwhile I almost knocked over my drink jumping to my feet and cheering. :dance:

That NPC constantly talking was driving me bonkers!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Paper Tiger posted:

The cases in this DLC are much harder than the ones in the base game and the first DLC, that's for sure. I didn't really catch on what the deal with the titular Lemurian Vampire was until after solving the third case, by throwing random inputs at some of the remaining prompts.

I won't spoil anything but if there are any particular areas where a hint would be helpful I could share a pointer or two.

Cheers, but i think i'll try to grind this out myself. Something about wanting to give a gift vs actually giving the gift, maybe that will crack this case wide open

It is surprisingly hard figuring out who killed a guy when it looks like nobody has killed a guy and planted a skeleton when the mission is to find out who totally killed some guy

This is the game and it rules.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
May have posted this already but

I've been playing MLB: The Show and for some reason every once in a while the game just fucks up my stats. This is kind of a big deal in a baseball game. For instance, in my franchise I have a pitcher who is 0-4 W/L record but only has 1/3 inning pitched. Not sure why this is happening.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BiggerBoat posted:

May have posted this already but

I've been playing MLB: The Show and for some reason every once in a while the game just fucks up my stats. This is kind of a big deal in a baseball game. For instance, in my franchise I have a pitcher who is 0-4 W/L record but only has 1/3 inning pitched. Not sure why this is happening.

Maybe he really struggles to record an out

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Elden Ring: I don't know which hosed-up little guy is my least favourite, the stone imps that gang up on you or the small giggling mercenaries who throw smoke grenades and bleed you to death.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Stone imps.definitely mine, I absolutely hate any enemies that run away from you and dodge attacks. It's so tiresome in a not-fun way.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Same, gently caress the stone imps. Aren't the other ones those little guys that go flying when you hit them so you just have to do a jump attack when they're trying to get up to finish them? Or am I thinking of other little enemies? Either way it's fun hitting them with a sword that's like 5 times their size lol

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I had to get killed about seventy times by those guys before I realised that they don't care about slashing or piercing damage.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sorry but gently caress you the Vulgar Militia are great. They are just little guys, and when you get a crit on them you body the poo poo out of them.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Philippe posted:

I had to get killed about seventy times by those guys before I realised that they don't care about slashing or piercing damage.

I grinded through about 5 caves with a katana before I realized those stone miner guys should be fought with blunt weapons.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Phigs posted:

I grinded through about 5 caves with a katana before I realized those stone miner guys should be fought with blunt weapons.

Yeah they just completely shrug that off. Took me far too long to work it out.

Also love the vulgar millitia. They're just little guys that get shat on by absolutely everything in the world. I don't blame them for being lairy. :3

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Roblo posted:

Yeah they just completely shrug that off. Took me far too long to work it out.

Also love the vulgar millitia. They're just little guys that get shat on by absolutely everything in the world. I don't blame them for being lairy. :3

I've not got to them but I like the vague writing early on (just started playing myself, not even past the first boss yet) when you meet the girl who talks about the guy who grafts people to him. She initially reads like "Oh, woe is me, my party was grafted by the monster, and I'm the only one who escaped that dire fate!" but then when you exhaust her dialog it changes the meaning to "Oh, woe is me, my party was grafted to him but I was the only one left out, if only I'd had the courage to go and make him graft me too..."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My last playthrough I took that portal to the beast dude in the red area super early and decided to see how far south I could get before I hit an obstacle, which I decided was the bridge with the dragon on it south of there. Still, there's a site of grace there right next to a field with the little dudes all on their own. I could take them one on one easily and they gave enough runes for five or so to be enough for a level up, so that turned into my go to farming spot if I needed just a bit more runes for a level up until I got to the academy.

Like what is the problem with the smoke bombs? Small aoe so just roll out of the way? Then send them flying and kill them before they get up? It literally never impacted me I think.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Case of the Golden Idol released another DLC, yet I still can't be arsed to fix my PC.

Ooh thanks for the heads up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Taeke posted:

My last playthrough I took that portal to the beast dude in the red area super early and decided to see how far south I could get before I hit an obstacle, which I decided was the bridge with the dragon on it south of there. Still, there's a site of grace there right next to a field with the little dudes all on their own. I could take them one on one easily and they gave enough runes for five or so to be enough for a level up, so that turned into my go to farming spot if I needed just a bit more runes for a level up until I got to the academy.

Like what is the problem with the smoke bombs? Small aoe so just roll out of the way? Then send them flying and kill them before they get up? It literally never impacted me I think.

Yeah I farm those guys a lot. You can summon ashes, so you're not alone, and they're usually on their own so they're easy to take down. They've got more health than they do elsewhere, but that's fine. One round gives you 10,000 runes if you eat a bird foot.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
theyre super easy to farm if you put a shield on and just counter but my first playthrough i was using a sword and focus and didnt bother with a shield and got hosed on by then a lot bc they are very quick and deadly at low levels

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Starfield and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but the Temples seem like they take too long to activate.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Playing Destiny 2 and I'm trying to finish the fishing minigame. The Kheprian Axehead is the bane of my existence. Who cares about raids, I need that drat fish so I can stop fishing for good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Philippe posted:

Elden Ring: I don't know which hosed-up little guy is my least favourite, the stone imps that gang up on you or the small giggling mercenaries who throw smoke grenades and bleed you to death.

I don't like the vulgar militia because they will absolutely surprise one shot you from within the tall grass if you haven't been leveling vigor. Which is totally different from the imps, who will drop on your head and surprise one shot you if you haven't been leveling vigor.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Whatever you think of the vulgar militia at least they're not shoved into every other loving tomb across the entire game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Nuebot posted:

I don't like the vulgar militia because they will absolutely surprise one shot you from within the tall grass if you haven't been leveling vigor. Which is totally different from the imps, who will drop on your head and surprise one shot you if you haven't been leveling vigor.

Sounds like you should be leveling vigor. Make your health bar stretch across the screen and back!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Sounds like you should be leveling vigor. Make your health bar stretch across the screen and back!

Why would you level vigor, that’s the boring stat. The Fashion Souls, Use Heavy Weapons, Use Weeb Weapons, Do More Magic, Cast Better Magic, Cast Better Fireballs/Lighting/Royal Revenant Killer, and Bloodborne/Item Drops stats are right there???

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also in souls games levelling vigor never feels that useful in the moment as it's like "Cool, I have 6 more health. Now the first boss will kill me in 1.6 hits instead of 1.5"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DoubleNegative posted:

No, I need more strength. That one more damage will solve all of my problems.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
people tell me time and time again that i dont need to level stamina in bloodborne past 20 but my reaction times are so bad that i just like being able to flail aimlessly at dudes when im in a pinch

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Me too, but IRL.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

people tell me time and time again that i dont need to level stamina in bloodborne past 20 but my reaction times are so bad that i just like being able to flail aimlessly at dudes when im in a pinch

I mean, stamina in BB is just straight up defense anyway since your defensive options are “dodgetank” and “stunlock enemies” and both of those use stamina. It’s probably the best stamina value in a Soulsborne game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phigs posted:

Whatever you think of the vulgar militia at least they're not shoved into every other loving tomb across the entire game.

Was gonna say, iirc Vulgar Militia exclusively show up in the overworld where you can just nope past them on Torrent or yeet them around with mounted attacks. Aint no avoiding imps unless you literally ignore like half the game.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also in souls games levelling vigor never feels that useful in the moment as it's like "Cool, I have 6 more health. Now the first boss will kill me in 1.6 hits instead of 1.5"

Elden Ring does it a bit differently and HP per point in Vigor actually scales upwards, peaking at 40 Vigor. And then 60 as the true softcap. The game really, really wants you to have at least 40.

I mean, I do think people who say you should beeline for those 40 points straight out if the tutorial are nuts, but leveling Vigor makes an appreciable difference. It's not like offensive stats are any less granular.

The potency of high Vigor is also further magnified by several sources of percentage HP boosts.

I mean, I guess all that said, you're not wrong that making those leveling choices isn't all that satisfying. But that's been the case from DeS onward...

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Sep 3, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bloodless, one of the signature bosses of Bloodstained, helped me pin down what's wrong with the combat.

1) An overabundance of contact damage. Despite the fight being another Zangetsu-level annoyance, I'm pretty sure my #1 source of damage wasn't any of her overtuned (and in at least one case outright bugged) attacks but rather her tendency to dash forwards or backwards, 50/50 odds, resulting in her bumping into me for about 2/3rds the damage of any of the aforementioned attacks.

2) Weapon hitboxes are certifiably hosed. I'm inclined to believe this is related to the game being in 3D (well, 2.5D), such that weapons rely on absolute collision or maybe even a variety of stock collision types for each kind of weapon.

Immediately after Bloodless you get her parasol, which you can swing around exactly how you'd expect. Except, bafflingly, the actual bonnet of the parasol has zero attack frames whatsoever, it's only the shaft that can hit anything. Making it clear it's nothing more than a dodgy reskin of generic sword template A.

More universally, weapons have had incredibly tiny, unforgiving attack frames. We're talking huge spears that can't reliably break candles. Miriam's threat range is always some space beyond her own hitbox with no "inward" protection, which combined with the contact damage is what makes some enemies so drat sticky.

I'm reasonably certain previous games, perhaps by merit of being sprite-based, had waaay more forgiving attacks. Maybe they wanted to be more like Dark Souls and give spears and such a sweet spot, but its been an issue on every weapon to some degree.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Was gonna say, iirc Vulgar Militia exclusively show up in the overworld where you can just nope past them on Torrent or yeet them around with mounted attacks. Aint no avoiding imps unless you literally ignore like half the game.

They’re not in a lot of places, but they are in the mine pseudo legacy dungeon that’s a back door to Leyendell, as well as I think the crypt that’s also the connector between the hidden lift and the Snowfield. Vulgar Militia tend to be more straightforward with less zigzags to their movement though so I’d still rather fight them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ohh yeah. I mostly remember those instances less for militia dudes themselves and more for the annoying poison traps. At least I think those usually went together in a few of those dungeons.

I mean, the real secret is that I was running around as a beefy brick house with a giant hammer so I think the worst I ever got was in one of the dungeons where I ran afoul of two at once, which was only a little more dangerous than fighting one, in contrast to the absolute clusterfuck that two imps in the wrong place at the wrong time can create.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Sep 3, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm a little dodgy lady in a pretty dress, so I get bodied by anything bigger than a stiff breeze.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd say vigor is the best, highest impact stat to level in every souls game. One vigor doesn't make much difference, but unless you happen to be hitting some kind of break point (e.g. I can equip some weapon now) neither does one point of any other stat.

Well ok maybe adaptability is a bigger deal in DS2.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

While AC6 on the whole continues to be a good time, it carries on the From tradition of having a shitass camera. I got stuck for a while on a big boss whose main deal is leaping at you until it fills out your entire vision, and then launching an arcing melee attack that essentially hits you from offscreen. After some 10 unsuccessful attempts I went and found a camera mod, after which the boss basically got 50% easier because I could actually see what the gently caress was happening and I beat it in the next attempt.

The extra annoying thing is that all the mod really does is place the camera further back from the player. That's all that's really needed, and the game really could just be doing that by itself whenever an enemy is bigger than usual.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Starfield: (Found out that I could grab it for a month + upgrade to premium for less than the base game costs.)

During the tutorial I'm finding the robo-companion who's spouting the tutorial stuff incredibly stilted and irritating.
I think a lot of it is that the run-on multi-sentence tutorial expansions make the stiff, stilted robo-dialogue so much harder to bear.

He seems to be a lot more concise out in the field atleast. Thankfully.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Sep 3, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow, this locked Labyrinth in a slightly hidden area of Forspoken is insane. Every other room has multiple minibosses to contend with that are normally the bosses of individual labyrinths, and the final one is THREE dragons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I'm enjoying the game the most annoying thing about Starfield is definitely the ammo system. It really feels like every single weapon uses its own ammunition.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You all mocked Invisible War for universal ammo. Well who's laughing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

muscles like this! posted:

While I'm enjoying the game the most annoying thing about Starfield is definitely the ammo system. It really feels like every single weapon uses its own ammunition.

So it's a Bethesda Fallout game?