Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
drive by dashcam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nol7jOxtMRE

reddit thread discussion https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/18t9h67/cybertruck_head_on_crash_today_on_ca17/

No autopilot in use, toyota driver at fault. The Toyota is hosed, the CT doesn't look damaged (at least to me from the dashcam vid). No pictures that Ive seen showing the CT impact area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

ilkhan posted:

No pictures that Ive seen showing the CT impact area.

There's a picture buried in the comments. Looks like a sideswipe, the other car's front' corner hit halfway back on the truck's side and scraped back.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Truck might not be too badly damaged but how many repair shops are set up to work with stainless? I feel like these are going to get written off by insurance companies and then abandoned entirely unless they charge the earth to do so. We know Tesla themselves rarely have parts available at the best of times but when they've only managed to deliver a handful of these at best :dogstare:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
if it wasn't damaged then why aren't they telling the driver to limp it the hell out of the way

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Truck might not be too badly damaged but how many repair shops are set up to work with stainless? I feel like these are going to get written off by insurance companies and then abandoned entirely unless they charge the earth to do so. We know Tesla themselves rarely have parts available at the best of times but when they've only managed to deliver a handful of these at best :dogstare:

That one is about 10 miles from tesla HQ so I am sure one of the many bodyshops clamoring for tesla nuts will work on it, but for non bay area stuff, yeah it’s gonna be not great I am sure. Or it turns into specialty houses like corvette/boat shops.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
CT is very much "damaged". I'd even say probably totaled.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Nah just whip out the sheet metal bender it’s all good

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Maybe a case of Brillo pads.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Couldn’t look worse, really.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I went to the San Diego Auto Show today. GM had a lot of floor space for their 2024 “we promise they’re not poo poo” EV offerings. Subaru once again had puppy pen. Ford made good use of their floor space and the Mach-E is growing on me. Toyota had some cool stuff while the Stellantis floor space was destitute.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Like... with actual puppies? Or do you just mean they had a tiny space for their cars?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Actual puppies and you could adopt one.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gotta give it to 'em, they know their demographic :3:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So uh what happens to the puppies that don't get adopted?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

Limited edition leather seats

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

If memory serves they partner with a local shelter so they just go back to the building they started the day at if nobody picks them up at the show.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wheel chocks for the teslas

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWVaZsUQjc

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went to the Lexus dealer yesterday because my wife wants an RC350F and this IS500 was there

Love it :swoon:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Went to the Lexus dealer yesterday because my wife wants an RC350F and this IS500 was there

Looks great till you see the face!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Those still have v8s?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its a new model and yeah it has a v8

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As far as i can tell there are only 4 N/A V8s left in cars.

5.0 Coyote in the mustang
5.0 in the lexus line-up
6.2 LT2 in the corvette
5.5 LT6 in the z06

The Camaro, Challenger, Charger, 300, and the V8 G90 option are all gone.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

CT is very much "damaged". I'd even say probably totaled.

Thats not even close to being totalled based on the photo. That really is a scary lack of damage esp given just how hosed the Corolla is and when you consider a Cybertruk uses 3mm thick steel which is thicker than the 2.6mm of a typical bullbar that kinda makes sense and also why a Cybershit hitting another vehicle is deeply worrying, it's pure FY to any other road users. Or pedestrians. Or cyclists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The side impact airbag went off and that B pillar is likely tweaked. The rear wheel took enough impact to shatter the rim so the suspension is likely hosed back there so who knows how that may have affected the drive system. It's an expensive enough car that it will be repaired, but it's probably going to cost more than the Corolla that hit is was new.

The Corolla is super hosed because the impact was on the crumple zones of the car. Honestly though, the Corolla doesn't look that bad. The driver's front quarter was peeled off, but the side mirrors still look square on both sides and the windshield is intact. The radiator support is pushed back, but it doesn't look like the engine moved much if at all. The hood only has leading edge damage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

As far as i can tell there are only 4 N/A V8s left in cars.

5.0 Coyote in the mustang
5.0 in the lexus line-up
6.2 LT2 in the corvette
5.5 LT6 in the z06

The Camaro, Challenger, Charger, 300, and the V8 G90 option are all gone.

I was about to say "what about the Maserati GranTurismo" but I realized that's a V6 now, and turbo to boot.

It's apparently sitting on dealer lots getting discounted $50k off sticker: https://www.theautopian.com/the-new-maserati-granturismo-is-depreciating-by-tens-of-thousands-of-dollars-on-showroom-floors/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I was about to say "what about the Maserati GranTurismo" but I realized that's a V6 now, and turbo to boot.

It's apparently sitting on dealer lots getting discounted $50k off sticker: https://www.theautopian.com/the-new-maserati-granturismo-is-depreciating-by-tens-of-thousands-of-dollars-on-showroom-floors/

I would buy one but even with $40k off I'm still about $145k short.

I wonder what trade-in value they would offer on a 25 year old F-250 work truck.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thats not even close to being totalled based on the photo. That really is a scary lack of damage esp given just how hosed the Corolla is and when you consider a Cybertruk uses 3mm thick steel which is thicker than the 2.6mm of a typical bullbar that kinda makes sense and also why a Cybershit hitting another vehicle is deeply worrying, it's pure FY to any other road users. Or pedestrians. Or cyclists.

Insurance here will total a car if it will take too long to get parts too which considering they have only built like 100 of them the parts might not even exist yet so could be a while waiting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Insurance here will total a car if it will take too long to get parts too which considering they have only built like 100 of them the parts might not even exist yet so could be a while waiting.

I was looking at copart today and they'll total out an $80k vehicle for hail damage.

A few years ago Edmonton got hit by a bad storm, and all the dealers made claims on their car and sold them as "hail specials" for a whole bunch of money off.

If the cybertruck is still the "entire side of the truck is a single structural piece of stainless steel", that thing is probably toast.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TheBacon posted:

You can total a Kia by breaking its ignition cylinder: https://www.thedrive.com/news/parts-for-stolen-hyundais-and-kias-are-so-scarce-the-cars-are-being-totaled

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Good, get those loving turds off the road

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Buy the IS instead duh

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bull3964 posted:

The side impact airbag went off and that B pillar is likely tweaked. The rear wheel took enough impact to shatter the rim so the suspension is likely hosed back there so who knows how that may have affected the drive system. It's an expensive enough car that it will be repaired, but it's probably going to cost more than the Corolla that hit is was new.

I assume the rear wheel steering is also hosed, so considerable extra cost.

Of course where the crumble zones are makes a big difference. I was rear-ended few weeks ago. The other car got trashed with all air bags inflated, and I didn't get enough damage to total a 16 year old car.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Saukkis posted:

Of course where the crumble zones are makes a big difference. I was rear-ended few weeks ago. The other car got trashed with all air bags inflated, and I didn't get enough damage to total a 16 year old car.

That BMW is yours? It should be total, the trunk is all tweaked. I'm going to guess it would've fared worse if not for the hidden tow hook sub-frame?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Twerk from Home posted:

You can still get a v8 in the Maserati Levante Trofeo and Ghibli Trofeo. Last year it will be offered though.

https://www.maserati.com/global/en/brand/stories-of-audacity/v8-ultima

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 31, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

davecrazy posted:

You can still get a v8 in the Maserati Levante Trofeo and Ghibli Trofeo. Last year it will be offered though.

https://www.maserati.com/global/en/brand/stories-of-audacity/v8-ultima

That’s a twin turbo though, not NA. Lot’s of FI V8’s still in production.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Saukkis posted:

Is auto body repair really cheap in your country or something? That's a new trunk and bumper at a minimum plus paint and paint matching.

I assume you had a dealer check the frame stuff underneath.

Or maybe used cars in the US are just dirt cheap.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 1, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Mostly that all cars are expensive in Finland due to taxes. Repair shop approved by insurance companies estimated the repair at bit over 3000€ and the cheapest similar model on sale currently is 7500€.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

Buy the IS instead duh

My wife wants a coupe tho so it would have to be the RCF then :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Saukkis posted:

Mostly that all cars are expensive in Finland due to taxes. Repair shop approved by insurance companies estimated the repair at bit over 3000€ and the cheapest similar model on sale currently is 7500€.

Oh I see, I assumed the trunk lid would have to be replaced (maybe just the picture making the alignment look weird). That’s a $2800 part alone (here anyway).