Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hormones
May 9, 2009

CatchrNdRy posted:

here is the cinco story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4Zu9227v4

dying over this. "raise up foo." oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Hormones posted:

dying over this. "raise up foo." oh my god.

Budweisers, the 22 ounce because like the 40 would get my dome too crazy and I couldn't go to works or nothing.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

CatchrNdRy posted:

Budweisers, the 22 ounce because like the 40 would get my dome too crazy and I couldn't go to works or nothing.

I love Mike, straight up.

On another note, I listened to two randomly chosen episodes today and they were laugh out loud hilarious. For anyone who wants to check them out:
3/30/2004 with Greg Proops, and 5/27/2004 Adam's 40th Birthday

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Another former cast member of Celebrity Rehab, Jeff Conaway, passed away. Drew had been talking about him over the past few nights on Loveline and said he could pull through, sad to see him go.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Instrumedley posted:

Another former cast member of Celebrity Rehab, Jeff Conaway, passed away. Drew had been talking about him over the past few nights on Loveline and said he could pull through, sad to see him go.

I'm getting a bit annoyed at the flak Drew is receiving over this. Hate to talk negative about the dead or whatever but that dude was a train wreck.

GuitarJunkie
Sep 8, 2004

"Boy, have we got a vacation for you."

visuvius posted:

I'm getting a bit annoyed at the flak Drew is receiving over this. Hate to talk negative about the dead or whatever but that dude was a train wreck.

Oh man, on the first season of celebrity rehab he couldn't speak coherently until about the 3rd episode. Had seizures, hallucinations, etc.

His addiction destroyed him.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Hormones posted:

On another note, I listened to two randomly chosen episodes today and they were laugh out loud hilarious. For anyone who wants to check them out:
3/30/2004 with Greg Proops, and 5/27/2004 Adam's 40th Birthday

Thanks, I'm glad to find out Proops had been on LL. I'm hoping, since he has his own podcast now (which I looove) that he'll show up on Carolla's soon.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

visuvius posted:

It frustrates me too. I think people have this idea that if you go to rehab you are cured! Everything is okay! You're all better! And because Dr Drew was his doctor during his time on Celeb Rehab it's suddenly his fault and he's a horrible doctor. Like what?! The medical aspect of rehab is pretty much the smallest part when it comes to recovery. I went into Addictions Therapy in university because of Dr Drew (lol inspirational speech time!) and the work after rehab is the hardest, most important part.

Relapses and deaths have nothing to do with Dr Drew and he isn't and shouldn't be held responsible, nor should he be judged for it. Ugh. I have way too much anger about this topic.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

:drdrewface:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Hormones posted:

It frustrates me too. I think people have this idea that if you go to rehab you are cured! Everything is okay! You're all better! And because Dr Drew was his doctor during his time on Celeb Rehab it's suddenly his fault and he's a horrible doctor. Like what?! The medical aspect of rehab is pretty much the smallest part when it comes to recovery. I went into Addictions Therapy in university because of Dr Drew (lol inspirational speech time!) and the work after rehab is the hardest, most important part.

Relapses and deaths have nothing to do with Dr Drew and he isn't and shouldn't be held responsible, nor should he be judged for it. Ugh. I have way too much anger about this topic.

From listening to Dr. Drew on Loveline I got the impression that addiction is more or less incurable, which makes his profession somewhat Sisyphean in nature. The fact that some people, if only a tiny minority, can gather their lives back together for long periods of time is a miracle. You can also see the tremendous amount of effort it takes to treat addiction, and I think people don't understand it because, if they lack the addictive tendencies themselves, they have nothing to compare it to.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Bolkovr posted:

:drdrewface:

gee it hurts when I urinate

GuitarJunkie
Sep 8, 2004

"Boy, have we got a vacation for you."

Vertigus posted:

From listening to Dr. Drew on Loveline I got the impression that addiction is more or less incurable, which makes his profession somewhat Sisyphean in nature. The fact that some people, if only a tiny minority, can gather their lives back together for long periods of time is a miracle. You can also see the tremendous amount of effort it takes to treat addiction, and I think people don't understand it because, if they lack the addictive tendencies themselves, they have nothing to compare it to.

With that knowledge, can you really make any other face?

GuitarJunkie fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 29, 2011

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Vertigus posted:

It's absolutely not curable. Once an addict, always an addict - just either using or clean/sober. But it's always there, as Dr Drew says, 'doing push ups in the corner, ready to attack any time'. It's so true and so many people just say 'just stop' or 'you have to choose' or 'you're hurting your family' or 'these are the consequences' but it doesn't matter when all your mind, body and brain want is the substance. Not food, not water, not a home, not love, not family, not friends, not a job, not money, JUST DRUGS. I mean, people can be sober for 20 years and relapse. It never goes away. It's a lot of hard work forever, forever, to stay healthy, sober, and in a clear state of mind to battle one's addiction. That is, of course, not to say that addicts can't get sober and stay sober forever because they absolutely can, but only when they are deeply committed to the hard work and putting the management of their disease ahead of everything.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Why is it that the "just stop" people refuse to believe that addiction isn't a choice. Is it just a single mindedness where they can't comprehend any other reality than their own.

I mean I've never been depressed, for example, but I would never suggest that the cure for depression is just to "cheer up".

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Vertigus posted:

It's "incurable" because total sobriety is a fantasy. A harm reduction strategy would have worked better in Conaway's case for instance.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

Why is it that the "just stop" people refuse to believe that addiction isn't a choice. Is it just a single mindedness where they can't comprehend any other reality than their own.

I mean I've never been depressed, for example, but I would never suggest that the cure for depression is just to "cheer up".

Because they don't understand brain chemistry, trauma and mental illness, I suppose. Or they're one of those lucky people who don't have the gene for addiction and they can 'just stop'. I wish I knew the whole answer because it's incredibly frustrating for me to deal with family/friends of clients but all we can do is education and encourage their support (for those addicts willing to do the work of recovery).

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's "incurable" because total sobriety is a fantasy. A harm reduction strategy would have worked better in Conaway's case for instance.
Yes yes yes. I am 100% for Harms Reduction. I am praying to do my senior internship at Insight, the only safe-injection facility in North America. Harms Reduction is a great thing!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Human Tornada posted:

The "just stop" people I've met tend not to realize/accept that it's a disease, so they can't comprehend the drive for substances that it causes. Telling an addict to "just stop" is like telling someone with diabetes to just stop needing insulin.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

Hormones posted:

I am praying to do my senior internship at Insight, the only safe-injection facility in North America. Harms Reduction is a great thing!

Work in the DTES for any length of time and you will want to a bullet in your mouth fyi.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Maybe I'm just in love with Ken Marino, but this is a fantastic show:
http://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=728&h=ZTkyZmM5ODF

Whenever Adam comes in drunk (he had just done that old man show bit where they went to LAX and played drunken pilots), he's just fantastic.

Also, remember a world when two guys could go to an airport drunk and dressed as pilots and roll around on the baggage carousel?

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Sir Liquid Jerk posted:

Work in the DTES for any length of time and you will want to a bullet in your mouth fyi.

I've done a lot of volunteer work down there. I know what I'm in for and I can take it :]

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Anyone listening tonight?

They were talking about Charm School and it was mentioned that Stryker was on that show and Anderson piped in with "Who's Stryker?"

Snap.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

Hormones posted:

Anyone listening tonight?

They were talking about Charm School and it was mentioned that Stryker was on that show and Anderson piped in with "Who's Stryker?"

Snap.

Just heard that! Sounded like Steve-O (tonight's guest) said that Stryker wasn't very good on Charm School as well.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Instrumedley posted:

Just heard that! Sounded like Steve-O (tonight's guest) said that Stryker wasn't very good on Charm School as well.

I never saw the show but I can't imagine Stryker being good at much of anything.

Steve-O is a great Loveline guest though. I'm so glad he came back last night!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stream may be down for a bit, I had to cancel my hosting because it was too expensive. Shopping for some new hosting but I don't think it'll be too long.

Anyone know a cheap shoutcast host that can handle 2TB/mo transfer? :wink:

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
On the topic of addiction, you are going to have a really hard time navigating a rational conversation about the situation based purely on just how loaded and diverse the terminology is involving the subject. For fairness' sake, it's always safer to assume the other person is reading the same word and thinking a different meaning when talking about addiction.

Drew operates from a materialist base that asserts a genetic foundation is the deciding factor on whether you are an addict or not, and environmentals can only really add or detract sway on your final decision making process.

He's mentioned several times that the ADHD gene and alcoholic gene are either the same or directly connected on the show and the more you look at it, the more it makes perfect sense.

For clarity's sake, I don't believe in choice or free will, so my opinion on arguing nature/nurture is essentially predetermined- I don't exactly have a whole lot invested in proving addicts are carefully weighing the cause and effect relationship of their actions. Just being fair to my bias.

However, once you look at addiction as a biological model and remove the concept of free will/choice, it really becomes startlingly clear that there are biological processes culminating into behavioural patterns that rival Pavlov's dog. It's only our own egos, conceit and insistence that marketing affects everyone else but me that refuses the mind-blowingly simple solution that addiction by it's very nature destroys the concept of individual choice. Because, I'm not like those weak degenerates. I have strength, self control. Or whatever other lies we tell ourselves.

If you look at addiction as an impulse-control disorder, rather than a hedonistic drive, an entire world of options for treating the disease/disorder open up and provide hope.

Physical dependance and Addiction are two very separate things. Diabetes is a great example, because diabetics are physically dependent upon their medications- they are not, however, addicted to them. Once you can recognize that clear divide between addiction and dependence, everything you think on the subject changes and becomes more accurate. Addicts suffer from a biological disease/disorder that manifests in psychological behaviour patterns- there really aren't very many well-educated or intelligent people who still believe that the root of addiction is based in choices anymore, and this is a good thing.

LL is funny but Adam is only comical because of how completely wrong he is on any issue involving actual facts- it's like listening to your racist grandfather tell everyone how America saved the world in WW2 at Christmas while pausing every few sentences to glare at his Filipino nurse's rear end and accuse her of stealing when she leaves the room. Because 'her people' are like that.

Drew, however, is loving awesome.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Adam's great at character assessments as well. Whenever he tries to describe motivations for people he's usually dead on.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Mr.Graves posted:

:words:

Hear, hear, good sir!

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.
Just came to this thread to say that I'm on hold with AAA and I heard Dawson from the ACS doing voiceovers for their commercials. Had to smile even though the call itself was a pain in the neck.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Mr.Graves posted:

Physical dependance and Addiction are two very separate things. Diabetes is a great example, because diabetics are physically dependent upon their medications- they are not, however, addicted to them. Once you can recognize that clear divide between addiction and dependence, everything you think on the subject changes and becomes more accurate. Addicts suffer from a biological disease/disorder that manifests in psychological behaviour patterns- there really aren't very many well-educated or intelligent people who still believe that the root of addiction is based in choices anymore, and this is a good thing.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, especially the part about people reading the same word and getting different meanings. I also just want to clarify that I know my diabetes analogy kinda falls apart when you actually start looking at stuff and get into the difference between addiction and dependence, I just use it because it's the one I've found that seems to help people who don't understand addiction realize that it's not based in choices. It's good you pointed that out, I didn't even think about it this time.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Has anyone gone to Adam's live shows? I'm waiting to see him in San Francisco right now.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I am patiently awaiting the return of the Loveline Stream. Please bring it back!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chakron posted:

I am patiently awaiting the return of the Loveline Stream. Please bring it back!

It's been fixed, just waiting on re-uploading the 60gb of shows ;)

Hopefully will be done in about 2 days.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

I was in 9th grade once. When I was 28.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
Has anyone ever been able to track down Adams appearance on Conan when he bombed? I remember searching for it and couldn't find anything.

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Deepak Chopra on tonight? That's pretty incredible. Bound to be an interesting show!

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Hormones posted:

Deepak Chopra on tonight? That's pretty incredible. Bound to be an interesting show!

First time in Loveline history that two people with a master's degree have called in on the same night?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed how often Adam says "is is"? Such as "My point is, is..." or "The thing is is...."

Cannot unhear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Pzykotic posted:

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed how often Adam says "is is"? Such as "My point is, is..." or "The thing is is...."

Cannot unhear!

I just like to remember all the times I've heard or seen this instead.

• Locked thread