Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I've been working on going through my stash and using up all those random skeins of handspun I have by making hats. Lots of hats. Gonna send them off to my mom to distribute as presents eventually.

Top to bottom, left to right: odd little 3-ply made by making a 2-ply and then wrapping a single around it. It made a very dense and warm hat, but I was worried about running out of yarn and so it's a bit short. And the wool is scratchy, so hopefully this will go to someone with hair.

I just finished the grey, it's an opposing-ply merino. Very soft and squishy, it's also super stretchy. I like it a lot, looking forward to doing more opposing plys in the future.

The brown variegated is some weird stuff I got from a place in Canada that claimed to be the same thing this little boutique mill in Washington used, but was actually more like mill ends. It was very odd, and I feel like I got ripped off. But it made a nice hat.

The blue and green is the one commercial yarn in here, it's some Cascade 220 I dyed literally years ago. The hat is going to be joined by a pair of fingerless gloves as soon as I get those finished, they're on the needles right now.

Then at the bottom is a cowl out of some mystery wool. Possibly BFL? Feels likely. Anyway, it's spun very thick and soft.

The purple to the side is some Corridale I dyed and spun up, it's going to be another hat or a scarf. Depends on if the niece that used to like purple still does and what she wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Yávië

:chanpop:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

:drat:

Long color-change yarns are magic combined with stitchwork like that.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Holy craparoni.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Drakochan posted:

It's so lovely so far! I can't wait to see how the gradient looks on it if you keep sharing your progress.

(The bottom eyelet row is the one showing in the last picture.)

This has become an awful slog and I've spent more time staring at it than knitting it the past two weeks. But my yarnie friend finished my custom Exploration Station yarns AND has started one of these herself, so I MUST KNIT!

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 31, 2015

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Love! You're magical.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that's beautiful :aaa:

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

This is so beautiful!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

a friendly penguin posted:

Love! You're magical.

I hope you're talking about my awesome-colorwork-finding skills because I so did not knit that. My current WIP is the purple and black thing I posted after :)

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I have finally discovered a real need for a shawl and some fingerless mitts. I'm grading AP Exams in a Conference Center in Kansas City, and it is loving freezing in there. I live in Silicon Valley, where we don't so much have weather as climate, so knitted items are accessories at best, but holy poo poo for next year's reading will I be making some things. So, in light of that, I need pattern suggestions.

1) a super lacy shawl made from lace-weight yarn and knitted on enormous needles so that it is a nice layer but doesn't take up too much space.

2) fingerless gloves or mitts

Does anyone have favorites that they know turn out great? My other option is browsing Ravelry, but I thought I'd ask for rec's here first.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I'm a big fan of the Mahayarna gauntlets on Ravelry. I'm on mobile or else I'd link you, but they should be pretty easy to find.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
For fingerless gloves I just use a plain glove pattern I found in a book and only work the fingers up to about the first knuckle, with an extra five rows of ribbing to keep them tight. The specific book is The Big Book of Knitting and your library might have it, but any glove pattern should do.

I like lace shawls knit on tiny needles, so I'm no help there.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I know someone who's made like half a dozen pairs of Ragtops.

The ones pucklynn mentioned look cute too!

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 7, 2015

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
quote is not edit

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For the shawl, you should go with alpaca. Cascade Alpaca Lace is surprisingly nice and affordable. It doesn't have the huge halo you might want if you knit it on giant needles, but even if you choose a pattern with normal needles, it should still compress and not take up much space.

For the fingerless gloves, do stranded colorwork, secretly because I'm obsessed with it but practically because they'll be twice as thick.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Anne Whateley posted:

For the shawl, you should go with alpaca. Cascade Alpaca Lace is surprisingly nice and affordable. It doesn't have the huge halo you might want if you knit it on giant needles, but even if you choose a pattern with normal needles, it should still compress and not take up much space.

For the fingerless gloves, do stranded colorwork, secretly because I'm obsessed with it but practically because they'll be twice as thick.

I have some knitpicks alpaca cloud lace yarn. Like, tons and tons of it. It also doesn't have a halo, and it's a tangled bitch of horribleness if not carefully managed in yarn keepers, but it's super soft, warm, and compressible.

Good call on the stranded colorwork. I've been wanting to do more of that, and this is the perfect excuse. I can cover them with physics equations or find something else super nerdy to put on them.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I wish I could help with the shawl part. I think I've gone insane because I just bought 1600 yards of black laceweight wool and started on this.

:stonklol: Kill me.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mizufusion posted:

I wish I could help with the shawl part. I think I've gone insane because I just bought 1600 yards of black laceweight wool and started on this.

:stonklol: Kill me.

God drat it. Obviously, now I have to make this.

I hope you're happy. :colbert:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Misery loves company? I'm even in Silicon Valley too.

For mine, I decided to do a different type of border. I'm not sure just what yet, but I did a couple extra rows/columns of the open stitch on each side, plus 2 stockinette stitches so I can pick them up later and add a ruffle or something. As much as I enjoy giggling about the "human being stitch", I didn't particularly care for it in this pattern.

I'll also say this pattern is not for the faint of heart because the directions can be a bit confusing, especially with the test knitter's notes on the pattern. I had to completely ignore some of them to make this work right.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mizufusion posted:

Misery loves company? I'm even in Silicon Valley too.

For mine, I decided to do a different type of border. I'm not sure just what yet, but I did a couple extra rows/columns of the open stitch on each side, plus 2 stockinette stitches so I can pick them up later and add a ruffle or something. As much as I enjoy giggling about the "human being stitch", I didn't particularly care for it in this pattern.

I'll also say this pattern is not for the faint of heart because the directions can be a bit confusing, especially with the test knitter's notes on the pattern. I had to completely ignore some of them to make this work right.

Dude, where? Do you want to go to a fiber festival on Saturday? You can PM me if you want to keep The Internet from knowing your whereabouts. :tinfoil:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Valdara posted:

Dude, where? Do you want to go to a fiber festival on Saturday? You can PM me if you want to keep The Internet from knowing your whereabouts. :tinfoil:

That sounds awesome, but I'm at the other end of the Bay and I have work Saturday afternoon. Go figure, they slash everyone's hours this week and I end up with only weekend shifts. :sigh:

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mizufusion posted:

That sounds awesome, but I'm at the other end of the Bay and I have work Saturday afternoon. Go figure, they slash everyone's hours this week and I end up with only weekend shifts. :sigh:

I live in East Palo Alto, so it'll be a bit of a hike, but it's my last weekend before my summer job starts, and Imma do fiber. I'll take some pictures and torture you with them. My instagram is Valdara1 :D

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I've decided to do this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/revontuli--huivi-northern-lights

I've found the most perfect shades of green (Fells Point - http://www.neighborhoodfiberco.com/products/) to use, but unfortunately it's the type of variegated yarn that changes color rapidly, as in it'll go from light green to dark green to yellow green, etc all within the same yard. Whereas there are others that will be light green for a couple of yards and then change to dark green for a couple of yards and so on.

Are there two different names for these different color changing yarns or are they both called variegated and I have to inspect it carefully to see the way the colors change? It's not hard (except online sometimes) but searching for colors like this in the future would be easier if there was different terminology.

Also, do you all think that the people who have done this project just used variegated yarn, or does it look like they've just changed skeins at the end of every significant chunk of knitting? I went through the notes of a lot of people's projects and didn't see anyone indicate that they had used different colors so I am under the impression that everyone didn't have any troubles finding colors that they liked in the color changing type of yarn that works best. My LYS really only seemed to have soiid colors with subtle variatios or the rapidly color changing yarn.

I'm sure the person I'm making it for will like it anyway, but for future projects, it would be nice to know. Thanks for your help!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The ones you want are slow color change, self-striping with long repeats, or maybe gradient. On the page you linked to, I would call almost all of them semisolid. But most yarns don't have that on the label, so you'd have to look at them.

There are definitely people who used separate skeins of different colors if that's what you want to do.

Here's an example of just variegated. Imo it really loses the effect that's the point of the shawl. Personally, I would save your current yarn for something else and look for new yarn for this project.

To find yarns that do what you want, check out the pattern's yarn ideas tab. In general it's not necessary, but it's good for particular stuff like this. You can see there aren't all that many yarns that do what you want -- look how quickly the numbers of projects drop off. In this situation, rather than browsing from a blank slate, I think most people set out looking for names that they knew did this, and then just chose a color from among those.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

I've decided to do this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/revontuli--huivi-northern-lights

I've found the most perfect shades of green (Fells Point - http://www.neighborhoodfiberco.com/products/) to use, but unfortunately it's the type of variegated yarn that changes color rapidly, as in it'll go from light green to dark green to yellow green, etc all within the same yard. Whereas there are others that will be light green for a couple of yards and then change to dark green for a couple of yards and so on.

Are there two different names for these different color changing yarns or are they both called variegated and I have to inspect it carefully to see the way the colors change? It's not hard (except online sometimes) but searching for colors like this in the future would be easier if there was different terminology.

Also, do you all think that the people who have done this project just used variegated yarn, or does it look like they've just changed skeins at the end of every significant chunk of knitting? I went through the notes of a lot of people's projects and didn't see anyone indicate that they had used different colors so I am under the impression that everyone didn't have any troubles finding colors that they liked in the color changing type of yarn that works best. My LYS really only seemed to have soiid colors with subtle variatios or the rapidly color changing yarn.

I'm sure the person I'm making it for will like it anyway, but for future projects, it would be nice to know. Thanks for your help!

I've heard yarn with slow-to-change colors referred to as "long color change" or "long repeat" yarns. I hope a term is settled on so that it's easier to search Ravelry for them! Some dyers will call attention to these yarns as they're getting popular, but inspection is still the best way to tell. (Searching Ravelry for projects in that yarn is also a good idea.)

I looked at the yarns used for Northern Lights-- the first page is almost entirely long color change yarns. If you click on something that is only a line of solids, you can see how they changed for repeats. This search for Knit Picks Palette shows how that can turn out. Contrast that to something like Schoppel-Woole Lace Ball for a long repeat yarn.

I think variegated will still look pretty! You can always switch it out with a solid every other repeat or two-- I see some of those in the project gallery, too.

e;fb Anne! So quick on the draw. :)

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks to you both! I feel much better informed now. And I think I will use the yarn for something else and search for the perfect color in the slow-to-change vein of yarns.

I had wanted to use the suggested yarn for the pattern, the Aade Long, but I couldn't find it online to purchase in a color that I liked. How does one find these mystical yarns? I guess, in general, where do all of you knitters purchase yarns of fine quality online?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Thanks to you both! I feel much better informed now. And I think I will use the yarn for something else and search for the perfect color in the slow-to-change vein of yarns.

I had wanted to use the suggested yarn for the pattern, the Aade Long, but I couldn't find it online to purchase in a color that I liked. How does one find these mystical yarns? I guess, in general, where do all of you knitters purchase yarns of fine quality online?

I look at Webs, Love Knitting, JImmy Beans Wool, and for smaller companies I visit their website. My local yarn store also carries a very good selection.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Jimmy Beans Wool is my top choice. Webs/yarn.com is also big, although their site is stuck in the '90s and they take much longer to ship. I won't buy from Knitpicks after their amazing fuckup surrounding their data breach. If you want something particular, you can always just google the yarn name to find smaller stores or ebay sellers who have it in stock. I've done that a few times when a yarn was just being discontinued. Don't rule out Ravelry destashes, either.

You don't have to get hung up on the specific yarn used in the pattern. I almost never use the exact one they say, just something else that has similar features, which is why the yarn ideas tab comes in so handy.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Fuckin Knitpicks needles man. I'm in the middle of a tricksy bit on a baby sweater and the drat needle comes off the metal screw that attaches it to the cord.

*sigh* I really need to pony up for a new set, just not sure if I want to go with HiyaHiya, Chiaogoo or Addis. Too bad none of them have the lovely wood that I like about the KP needles, but their overall construction is much better.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Phishi posted:

Fuckin Knitpicks needles man. I'm in the middle of a tricksy bit on a baby sweater and the drat needle comes off the metal screw that attaches it to the cord.

*sigh* I really need to pony up for a new set, just not sure if I want to go with HiyaHiya, Chiaogoo or Addis. Too bad none of them have the lovely wood that I like about the KP needles, but their overall construction is much better.

Half my knitting group swears by Chiaogoos. The cables have NO memory.

Me, I have all knitpicks because I got an interchangeable needle kit on sale as a baby knitter and I just keep adding onto it. Plus I get a KP gift card pretty much every Christmas or birthday. I just deal with the crappy joins :shrug:

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 13, 2015

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Phishi posted:

I have addi clicks, and I adore them. I haven't used straight needles for anything since I got the set. They can be a touch hard to get attached if your fingers are slippery, but I've had them come apart in the middle of a project exactly once in the years I've had them (and it was user error rather than shoddy workmanship). The interchangeable set goes down to a size 4, so if you mostly do teeeeeny things, you'll need to get those individually.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I think it's time to buy myself a set of Chiaogoos then - I'm finding bad connections on a few of my cables too. Shame I just spent half of my tax refund on yarn, and the other half is earmarked :(.

E: or Addis, by the sound of it.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
New Knitty, guys.

Your usual knitty fare, and a weaving project. The circles hat is kind of meh looking, but an interesting technique at least.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

stab stabby posted:

New Knitty, guys.

Your usual knitty fare, and a weaving project. The circles hat is kind of meh looking, but an interesting technique at least.

I thought the atomic mitts were cute at first but then I realized that "futuristic snowflake" looks a leeeeeeetle too much like a swastika from a distance.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Phishi posted:

Have you looked at Knitters' Pride and whatever the other one is that's the same as Knitpicks but still in the old factory? Material matters a ton, you should get laminated wood if that's what you like.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Anne Whateley posted:

Have you looked at Knitters' Pride and whatever the other one is that's the same as Knitpicks but still in the old factory? Material matters a ton, you should get laminated wood if that's what you like.

I haven't been able to find a way to order Knitters Pride online. Everything I've found indicates that you have to go through one of their retailers and it just got to be too much hassle. :/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Their retailers include like Amazon, Webs, JBW, though, which all sell them online. Unless you live in Europe or something? I know there's a UK equivalent but the name isn't coming to me...

e: KnitPro!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 13, 2015

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

If you want the warranty though I'd stick to Webs or JBW as I don't believe they honor it for Amazon purchases. I received a set of Nova Platina interchangeable needles for Christmas last year that had a few tips that wouldn't screw onto the cables and upon investigation realized I couldn't get the warranty to cover it as my MIL had purchased through Amazon. See near the bottom of their customer service page- http://www.knitterspride.com/quality-service.asp

E: maybe I'm miss reading. Their wording is a bit confusing...

Peppercat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 13, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Wow, that's frustrating. I would contact Amazon -- they won't send out individual tips, but they should give you at least a partial refund or allow you to return the whole thing if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

It was the size 6 tips and I think the 10.5 ones. As I needed to use the 6's I just bought replacement tips from Webs. Ended up getting 13's about a month or two ago from them but I think I'm going to switch most of my purchasing to JBW. They are closer to me so shipping usually goes a lot faster than Webs. Plus I just ordered a dpn Nova Platina set from Webs and it took a week to get here only to be the wrong set- they sent me cubics instead. I didn't want to wait another week to get the right set so I just had them send me a return label so I could get a refund. I reordered through JBW as I had a couple dollars of credit with them that was set to expire at the end of June anyway.