Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Modeling question: If I'm creating a jacket for a character and want it to look feature quality should I model in the pockets, or do them with color/displacement maps? And do pockets that are modeled create problems for nCloth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ccs posted:

Modeling question: If I'm creating a jacket for a character and want it to look feature quality should I model in the pockets, or do them with color/displacement maps? And do pockets that are modeled create problems for nCloth?

You need to model them if you want feature film quality and no it's not a problem for ncloth.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You would probably be wrapping your modelled jacket to a ncloth sim mesh anyway so you can model with whatever topology you like.
I've done some clothing modeling on Ted and I modeled as much as possible; seams, pockets, some wrinkles etc.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cool thanks guys!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Here is a random photoshop video tutorial. I know it isn't 3d per se but it is very pertinent IMO.

Creating tubes / overlapping brushes in Photoshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcz5Fh6Wcx4

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Speaking of Photoshop, just in case any of you were thinking of going legit and actually paying for it(what can I say, I've been using it for twelve years so I figured I should probably start paying) Adobe are doing a pretty sweet deal until tomorrow where you can get Photoshop CC and Lightroom for about ten dollars a month.

I've been playing with the 3D paint tools in Ps for the past couple days and I'm pretty impressed. There's still room for improvement but being able to paint straight onto my model with the Ps tools I know and love is so good.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

floofyscorp posted:

Speaking of Photoshop, just in case any of you were thinking of going legit and actually paying for it(what can I say, I've been using it for twelve years so I figured I should probably start paying) Adobe are doing a pretty sweet deal until tomorrow where you can get Photoshop CC and Lightroom for about ten dollars a month.

I've been playing with the 3D paint tools in Ps for the past couple days and I'm pretty impressed. There's still room for improvement but being able to paint straight onto my model with the Ps tools I know and love is so good.

Thanks for the heads up. For that price I jumped in as well. Needed photoshop on my surface pro so perfect timing.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

keyframe posted:

Aren't you guys using one of the file formats that let's you render once and create the passes from that render instead of rendering each pass separately?

Man I realized I haven't rendered anything in forever. Viewport 2.0 completely spoiled me.

that's for things like the raw light pass and normal pass - everyone has those just in case regardless of format and how they're saved. they're used as masks for color correction and extra control, but it's not rendering in passes, if that makes sense.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

keyframe posted:

I got a 128gb surface pro 2 yesterday, and I am in love with this thing. Was just sculpting a 6 million poly model in Zbrush with no brush lag or slowdown. Maya runs great, Modo runs great, sketchbook pro is bliss to sketch with.

If anyone is on the fence I can't recommend it enough.

Any issues with heat/battery life in zbrush? As far as I know zbrush is all CPU and it's always been a massive battery hog for me on laptops.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

that's for things like the raw light pass and normal pass - everyone has those just in case regardless of format and how they're saved. they're used as masks for color correction and extra control, but it's not rendering in passes, if that makes sense.

Isn't it though? You can separate all those passes in Nuke with a single node and it is no different than if you have rendered all that separately. That is just based on what I have seen people do at work though.

Dr Solway Garr posted:

Any issues with heat/battery life in zbrush? As far as I know zbrush is all CPU and it's always been a massive battery hog for me on laptops.

None. For example I sculpted for five hours straight in Zbrush yesterday from a %92 charge when I started (did a ton of best preview test renders too btw). I had %35 left when I turned it off. The battery life is absolutely insane and incredible on the surface pro 2.

Also, no heat problems in SP2 at all so far. I had a SP1 for a week and that got hot pretty fast even when only using sketchbook pro. Haven't heard the fans kick in or felt the back get hot in SP2 yet.

Jesus I sound like a salesman for the thing, but it really is that good. :unsmith:

keyframe fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 2, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hows the glass surface as far as durability? Any scratches so far?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

SynthOrange posted:

It's gorilla glass. You are not going to scratch it unless you are planning on using the surface as a cutting board or something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats what they said about my ipad. Within an hour of trying out a new stylus on it... a scratch. :negative:

Oh by the way, IOS7 has junked every 1st gen Jot Touch stylus. Laffo.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

keyframe posted:

None. For example I sculpted for five hours straight in Zbrush yesterday from a %92 charge when I started (did a ton of best preview test renders too btw). I had %35 left when I turned it off. The battery life is absolutely insane and incredible on the surface pro 2.

Can you change out the battery?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\ No, you can't.

SynthOrange posted:

Thats what they said about my ipad. Within an hour of trying out a new stylus on it... a scratch. :negative:

Oh by the way, IOS7 has junked every 1st gen Jot Touch stylus. Laffo.

I thought all ipad styluses were the thick foam type, how did you manage to scratch with that? :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

keyframe posted:

I thought all ipad styluses were the thick foam type, how did you manage to scratch with that? :stare:

http://adonit.net/jot/touch/

Plastic disc on a pivoting head so you can actually see where you're drawing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SynthOrange posted:

I bought a screen protector for mine when I got it but I never got around to putting it on, and it looks like I won't need to. The glass is durable.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I'm trying to create a hi-res displacement map on a plane in Maya using a height map. I then plan to convert it into a poly object, but I can never get the geo tall enough, even when I maximize the scale. Anyone worked with height maps before? I'd rather not have to model everything by hand but it's starting to look that way.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BurtLington posted:

I'm trying to create a hi-res displacement map on a plane in Maya using a height map. I then plan to convert it into a poly object, but I can never get the geo tall enough, even when I maximize the scale. Anyone worked with height maps before? I'd rather not have to model everything by hand but it's starting to look that way.

I'm not familiar with Maya but if it doesn't let you plug in a max value maybe pipe your heightmap through a colourcorrect?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yet another question. If I'm planning on creating a zipper for an open jacket (which won't actually be used, it's just to make the jacket look realistic) should I make the zipper a separate mesh and wrap it or bind it with clusters to the jacket or just do it with a texture map? Again, I want to make everything look as close to feature quality as possible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ccs posted:

Yet another question. If I'm planning on creating a zipper for an open jacket (which won't actually be used, it's just to make the jacket look realistic) should I make the zipper a separate mesh and wrap it or bind it with clusters to the jacket or just do it with a texture map? Again, I want to make everything look as close to feature quality as possible.

Depends how up close you're getting to it. If you want something that's going to feature up close, then you're going to have to build it. Adjust the level of detail to how it's going to end up.

You can just build everything in full detail then bake it down to the necessary maps, texture it, whatever. What's the intended use for the model?

Also check these links out for someone who's gone completely overboard on zippers:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?78703-Etcher_Sketcher&p=963632&viewfull=1#post963632
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?78703-Etcher_Sketcher&p=968437&highlight=zipper#post968437

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Improved Johnny 6's head, feels more streamlined to the body now. The fin as a shitload of LIDAR and FLIR type gadgetry, and pops up to scan the environment from time to time.

And did a very quick little paintover of this guy, the head is supposed to be a clear glass orb with a storm cloud inside, the eyes are 3 glowing spheres inside the cloud and the mouth shape will resemble lightning.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 5, 2013

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Hipoly render of a concept art piece I found on the net. I'm pretty happy with it but open to comments and criticism. I'm planning on turning it into a lowpoly game mesh during some off time.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Odddzy posted:

Hipoly render of a concept art piece I found on the net. I'm pretty happy with it but open to comments and criticism. I'm planning on turning it into a lowpoly game mesh during some off time.

That's awesome. I like the shape of the turret section, reminds me of a Lamborghini. I always see these kind of mechs with tank treads built into the legs, that way it can drive around and walk. The "waist" (above legs, below turret) is plain but texture could fix that, on israeli tanks they add these hanging chains under the turret to mess with the trajectory of rockets since the section where the turret meets the base is a weak point. If you're going for low poly it may be a pain to add tho.

Those might also be straps of kevlar over the actual treads, or it could just be normal fabric.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 6, 2013

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

That's cool! Rig it up and do some animations!

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Odddzy posted:

Ahh the good old FireWalker MBT-700 by Alexey. Very cool, good job!
Very popular 3dmodel, almost did that one myself. :) I would say add a little more detail under the turret so it doesn't look so bare. Engine parts and pipes are always cool.

Work is kicking my rear end but I try to do some random quick zbrush busts when wolfenstein will allow me.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Thanks man! I'm definetely going to put some stuff on the underside, it is a bit too bare right now, probably some shielding or wires and stuff. the chain thingies are cool but would definitely put the polycount through the roof.

Thanks! That's in the plan :)

Thanks! I fell a few times on that concept doing random searches and it's one of the good ones I've found on the net. I never worked with concepts at work (the concept artists were doing stuff for other people) so it's good to try to follow some drawn reference for practice.

If finished would it do a good portfolio piece? I would think so but I don't know if some people find it too recognizable or whatever. Also, I've decided against doing it at game res, the Hipoly doesn't really fit but would work nicely with more polygons so i'll do just that.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Odddzy posted:

Wish you didn't do that checkerboard background, it is not helping the model.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

keyframe posted:

Wish you didn't do that checkerboard background, it is not helping the model.

Yeah, you're the second person to bring that up so I guess I can't ignore it now :/

On that note, should textures taken from CG textures and saved after being tweaked in Photoshop be placed at gamma 2.2 inside max if linear workflow is being applied?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Diffuse yes, others 1.0

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

EoinCannon posted:

Diffuse yes, others 1.0

Thanks for the info, i'm on it then.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

BurtLington posted:

Did you ever find out much about this? Traditionally displacement is kind of a pain. There is a lot of info on it in the back of Scott Spencer's zbrush book but it is a little dated now. It deals with generating displacement in zbrush and the settings you need in maya. If you use GoZ to export the obj/maps to maya, a lot of the work is done for you.

SynthOrange: Thanks for the zipper tuts! That guy is nuts. I saw his chainmail tut a while ago.

PAnick: Nice work on Sharkdude!

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

BurtLington posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but if you are trying to use a DEM map or something to generate a landscape then you have to open the map in photoshop and go into levels and crush everything into a higher contrast range. If you aren't trying to do that the same idea applies to whatever else you are trying to do. Just bring the range from light to dark closer and more extreme before bringing it into Maya. There is probably a way to do this in the hypershade as well.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

keyframe posted:

Yea it is pretty much perfect for sketching/sculpting on the go. All you need is this:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/55516-new-artdock-surface-pro.html

It is free, adds the keyboard shortcuts as overlay on the top left right under where your thumb rests. It auto hides when you go over there with the pen. I am pretty surprised how well it worked really.

Sounds good, I was a little worried as I seem to spend half my time in Zbrush trying to mash the correct combination of CTRL-ALT-SHIFT. This actually works well in practice? That's amazing.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

HardCoil posted:

Sounds good, I was a little worried as I seem to spend half my time in Zbrush trying to mash the correct combination of CTRL-ALT-SHIFT. This actually works well in practice? That's amazing.

Yea man it was pretty much second nature after two minutes of using it. Multiple key combinations work better than on Wacom keys. The placement of the art dock is right where you naturally hold the tablet on the top left so it is super intuitive. It might be a problem for lefties though, I am not sure if there is a way to switch where the art dock is located on the screen.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keyframe posted:

Yea man it was pretty much second nature after two minutes of using it. Multiple key combinations work better than on Wacom keys. The placement of the art dock is right where you naturally hold the tablet on the top left so it is super intuitive. It might be a problem for lefties though, I am not sure if there is a way to switch where the art dock is located on the screen.

Can you actually click on the dock while the pen is near the screen? I thought that didn't work due to the palm cancelling stuff.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

Can you actually click on the dock while the pen is near the screen? I thought that didn't work due to the palm cancelling stuff.

Yea you can. It makes it so you can only touch the dock area and nothing else.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm working on a model in Zbrush and there's one part that I want to scale down; I want to keep the shape of this one part, just make it smaller in size. I've tried using the inflat and magnify brushes (holding down alt) but it's not getting great results and was wondering what folks here do when they want to scale just one part of their model. I'm attaching a screenshot of the model with the cylindrical portion that I want to scale highlighted in green.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If the inflate tools arent cutting it, you could always try the inflate or size deformers, or the transpose tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It looks like you could duplicate the part, cut the cylinder away in one version, cut the other half away on the other version, resize your cylinder then merge the two back together/dynamesh.

Or use the Mask tool to mask the cylinder, invert the mask, and use transpose tool to scale it down and move it into place.