Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Chinook posted:

Ahh, thank you, but both of those look a little too nice, and also have more 'space' theme. This seemed much more tied to the surface of a planet, and also the 'playfield' window of the game was much smaller, in this game, and it was in the top left. I'm going to keep looking tomorrow, I'll definitely post when I get it.

Alien Legacy maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Weirdly enough it's not the only game on steam about slimes taking over people, but the other one I know is more of an FFT style game. It's on my wishlist but haven't tried it yet.

You can't say that and not post the title.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ToxicFrog posted:

This isn't the "post the names of games you do know" thread!!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Yikes, not sure how I forgot to write that in. It's called Ambition of the Slimes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chinook posted:

Ahh, thank you, but both of those look a little too nice, and also have more 'space' theme. This seemed much more tied to the surface of a planet, and also the 'playfield' window of the game was much smaller, in this game, and it was in the top left. I'm going to keep looking tomorrow, I'll definitely post when I get it.

Sentinel Worlds 1: Future Magic

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Not Alien Legacy or Sentinel Worlds. But thank you for trying! Sentinel Worlds looks a little closer, but the game I'm thinking of has a much shittier and 'small time dev' UI, these games looks a bit too well made. Not that the game I'm thinking of looked like total trash but it's definitely more along the lines of EGA Trek or Scorched Earth, as far as production values.

Of course standard warnings of this thread apply: my memories are hazy and for all I know I'll stumble upon a combat basketball game and say "Eureka!"

Edit:. I'm impressed how well some of the guesses match up with my description almost exactly, even though they're still not it. Thanks. Really, one distinguishing feature is a small window which has a very humanoid shaped green alien guy or girl talking to you, like a commander. Like a Martian looking kind of alien. Like a human with green skin and small little slug antennae. VGA but not very GOOD vga, similar to EGA Trek in UI and use of color and detail.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 24, 2018

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Got it, it's Star Legions:
https://www.old-games.com/download/5586/star-legions-a-k-a

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Two flash games from about a decade ago, one on the tip of my tongue, the other much harder.

1. Probably the best launch game ever, it featured characters from some anime. You got hit by a bike to launch, and could click while going down to be launched up three times per launch, and click while going up every time the ability charged up. All of the objects on the ground were the characters from whatever. What made it interesting is that hitting certain characters in order had different effects; hitting green girl instantly stopped you, but if you had just hit purple then green girl you got launched super hard.

2. Extremely fast mecha game. Was side scrolling, with the character taking up between like a quarter of the screen when zoomed in to a tiny speck when zoomed out. Enemy soldiers would appear on either side of the map and come towards you, I think the goal was to kill a certain amount in a given time or to kill a boss, depending on the mission. Linear gauges for health and boost took up a huge amount of the screen, too. You could fly all over the place. I think you could select a couple weapons at the beginning of each mission?

E: Yeah, the first one was Nanaca Crash, nailed it.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 24, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Unreal_One posted:

1. Probably the best launch game ever, it featured characters from some anime. You got hit by a bike to launch, and could click while going down to be launched up three times per launch, and click while going up every time the ability charged up. All of the objects on the ground were the characters from whatever. What made it interesting is that hitting certain characters in order had different effects; hitting green girl instantly stopped you, but if you had just hit purple then green girl you got launched super hard.
Some googling leads me to conclude this is Nanaca Crash.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Two flash games, I'd say from 2010-2011.

The first was about an extremely dudebro knight trying to escape from a castle after waking up at the top a tower (he rembers nothing besides being relly drunk). Gameplay-wise it mainly consisted of hallways with three doors, where two of them lead to a quick death before placing you back at the start of the same hallway. Notably, it had voice acting, with the standout line for me being at a part where you turn into a snail to fit through a narrow passge - if you went to that room before transforming, he would say something like "My manly physique won't fit through here".

The second was a platformer. Simple graphics, very small sprites for the player and other characters. It had a kind of stamina mechanic for jumping, where a significant thing was that it never recharged while you were on a ladder. You started at the top of the map, but the aforementioned stamina mechanic meant you would eventually fall down if you tried to proceed.
Once you'd fallen to the ground a disembodied voice would ask you to collect something to restore it's power, and in return it would help you get back up. If you did this, the thing you helped would project a beam of light that slowly raised you of to the top of the map, at which point you wold be able to find a book talking about an ancient evil sealed undergroud that must never be allowed to regain its power. Once you read this, the game would slowly fade to black.
IIRC there were also some other options, including some weird guy who asked you to collect skulls (or something similar), and a lot of capacity upgrades for the stamina meter - presumably you would be able to power through withoput help if you collected enough.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I played both of those on Kongregate in the past if that helps you narrow it down, I remember them fairly distinctly.

First one is probably Lucky Tower or its sequel.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 24, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm at work so I couldn't do an in-depth look for the second one. It might be Endeavor, but I can't sit down and play it to be sure.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Those sound exactly like Lucky Tower and Endeavor.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I checked out those two, and they're definetly what i remember.

Thanks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Back on DOS I played this p&click adventure game, with a dude who woke up and (as we learned in the intro) had some sort of creepy biomechanical demon stick an egg into his brain through an alien-like proboscis. Then you woke up crunk and the game had a pretty unforgiving time schedule, so if you didn't solve it (which I couldn't, never found a walkthrough), this huge beast would straight up tear out of your head and you'd crash dead in a pool of blood.

I can't remember what it was called, maybe something with seed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darkseed in fact

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh word, thanks!

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001
Trying to remember the name of a (probably) DOS game, probably from the late 90s - early 00s. It was kind of like those sand flash games, at least visually. You controlled a kind of blob, or maybe it could be best described as a magnetic point attracting "sand", inside a fixed screen arena with other "sand" in different colors. You had to surround the enemy "sand" to change it to your color , thus growing your "blob". The winner would be the last one standing. Ring any bells?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Solvalou posted:

Trying to remember the name of a (probably) DOS game, probably from the late 90s - early 00s. It was kind of like those sand flash games, at least visually. You controlled a kind of blob, or maybe it could be best described as a magnetic point attracting "sand", inside a fixed screen arena with other "sand" in different colors. You had to surround the enemy "sand" to change it to your color , thus growing your "blob". The winner would be the last one standing. Ring any bells?

Sounds like Swarm Arena but that's a much later game

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Solvalou posted:

Liquid War?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've been hesitant to post this one because of the lack of information, but if you're looking for a challenge: Probably early 90's shareware game for pc. The only thing I can remember about it was a line of green pips representing the loading screen. Sadly, my pc was lacking and it wouldn't play after loading. I have no idea what genre the game was and remember almost nothing else. I think there may have been a black background and a purple outline across the edge of the screen.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've been trying to remember a jrpg from the SNES I'm pretty sure. I can only remember one part, you end up in a desert somehow, and your party separates and they are all wandering around. There's some big shape onin the sand, lines connected to points, I think it was in the shape of some kinda bird.

That's all I got.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I've been trying to remember a jrpg from the SNES I'm pretty sure. I can only remember one part, you end up in a desert somehow, and your party separates and they are all wandering around. There's some big shape onin the sand, lines connected to points, I think it was in the shape of some kinda bird.

That's all I got.

Sounds like Illusion of Gaia, where you visit the Nazca plain lines.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

That's all I got.

Illusion of Gaia maybe? Not quite a traditional jrpg but

random image from google:

efb

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

That's it, poo poo. I don't even remember playing that game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

That's it, poo poo. I don't even remember playing that game.

That's a minor miracle, because it's a very strange and memorable game. Do you remember a pig named Hamlet nobly sacrificing itself by jumping onto a campfire, to save a village from starvation?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's a minor miracle, because it's a very strange and memorable game. Do you remember a pig named Hamlet nobly sacrificing itself by jumping onto a campfire, to save a village from starvation?

yes but only because this exact text was on the back of the box

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
This is one I've been batting around for a while. Mid-90s, fully polygonal 3D game - I think it may have predated accelerator cards, because I don't remember it looking all smooth/blurry like a Voodoo would have done. It was ... not quite a driving game, but you were in some kind of vehicle, moving around a level that was kind of floating in space. I don't recall if there was any combat, I just remember that I played a demo of this.

Not too much to go on, unfortunately. I'll browse through releases of the day and see if anything leaps out at me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Was it Skyroads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZqlPF8Opo

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
No, much more open-3D engine, like Quake or Descent.

I think it might have been Zone Raiders... I do remember a Z being in the name, so this seems like the closest possibility.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Golbez posted:

No, much more open-3D engine, like Quake or Descent.

I think it might have been Zone Raiders... I do remember a Z being in the name, so this seems like the closest possibility.

Maybe Terminal Velocity? But probably not.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

IYKK posted:

Maybe Terminal Velocity? But probably not.

No, it was not flying, it was driving/hovercrafting. Zone Raiders so far seems to be the closest, but I'm still not 100% sure.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Golbez posted:

No, it was not flying, it was driving/hovercrafting. Zone Raiders so far seems to be the closest, but I'm still not 100% sure.

spectre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41bawPxF-g

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Stellar 7 maybe?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
No, definitely textured and mid-90s. And there was a track, not a flat plane. Except, the reason I'm iffy on Zone Raiders is I thought the track was a big 3D labyrinth...

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This has reminded me of a game I played on Mac os7-9ish that was really similar to this, but instead of textured eyes and stuff, most of the enemies were empty wireframes in neon green colors. Am I going nuts? Was this real? Early 90s, tank proto-FPS.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s called battlezone, it’s from the 1980’s and was the precursor of a lot of clones, kind of like doom was in its day

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

This has reminded me of a game I played on Mac os7-9ish that was really similar to this, but instead of textured eyes and stuff, most of the enemies were empty wireframes in neon green colors. Am I going nuts? Was this real? Early 90s, tank proto-FPS.

Spectre had a few different variants. I remember seeing versions called "Spectre 3D" and "Spectre VR". Same basic "grab flags and shoot tanks" gameplay though.

I also remember only playing it in the top-down wireframe mode because that had the best performance on my dad's computer. It made the whole "3D" aspect rather less impactful.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

it’s called battlezone, it’s from the 1980’s and was the precursor of a lot of clones, kind of like doom was in its day

Yep, thats what it was. I was born in 1990 so I figured it wouldn't be something that old, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've been hesitant to post this one because of the lack of information, but if you're looking for a challenge: Probably early 90's shareware game for pc. The only thing I can remember about it was a line of green pips representing the loading screen. Sadly, my pc was lacking and it wouldn't play after loading. I have no idea what genre the game was and remember almost nothing else. I think there may have been a black background and a purple outline across the edge of the screen.
I'm guessing not Commander Keen? No green pips in the loader but purple and black loader screen.