Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Reinanigans posted:

Is there a consensus on the best 6" scale Batman figure? I've seen a bunch at my local comic shop, but none that really scream "must have" like the recent Amazing Spider-Man sculpt.

Sadly there has never been a Batman figure that has hit it out if the park. All of then have issues, which if you get a couple and put then together and get something decent.

The best options are as such.

The pre-DCSH Attack Armor Batman which was only released overseas and commands a pretty penny. Most people replace the awful head with a DCD Hush Batman and it makes a pretty fair representation of it. Articulation is better than a lot of the Mattel stuff but no where near ML.

The DCSH wave 3 or 8 Batman, Wave 3 is in Blue and Grey and Wave 8 is Black and Grey. Pretty amazing sculpt on this there are even treads with a little Bat symbols in the boots. The articulation is almost exactly the same as the DCUC figures so no double elbows, knees or wrist articulation. They tend to go for quite a bit of money, even loose since they are considered to be the bar standard for a modern Batman and they have sadly not made much better. I have a wave 3 with a cape and head from DCD figures to make a pretty good Bats.

The DCUC Wave 1. This is a really good figure if you are looking for a 70s/Super Friends Batman. It's not my cup of tea but to each their own. Standard DCUC articulation and he comes with a few Batarangs that were included with the DCSH Bats.

Other than those there are some various DCD figures people like; the Secret Files figure, Hush, etc. They tend to look very good but are underwhelming in articulation. You are lucky a lot if the time to get anything over T hips and swivel arms and head.

As I said before you are better off just making a custom figure with parts you like. I do not think that Mattel is going to spend the money of a good quality Comic Batman that we all desire and DCD can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Reinanigans posted:

Is there a consensus on the best 6" scale Batman figure? I've seen a bunch at my local comic shop, but none that really scream "must have" like the recent Amazing Spider-Man sculpt.

If you like the look of him and you don't mind a loose figure, there are several DCSH S3 Blue/Gray Batmen on ebay for around $9.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...t=246&_from=R40

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 6, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
After all these years, I still have the pre-DCSH Mattel Zipline Batman from around 2003 as my only 6" Batman. He lacks elbow articulation and would look better about 1/2" taller and with a plastic cape instead of cloth, but it's a great figure for a standard '90s/2000s black and gray Batman with pouches on his belt and no yellow oval around the bat emblem.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Red posted:

If you like Kid Robot's Street Fighter blind boxes, Five Below has them for $4.99.

I was just at my local one today in NOVA and they didn't have any that I saw :argh:. I really want to snag some to accompany my Dark Ryu.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Agrias120 posted:

I was just at my local one today in NOVA and they didn't have any that I saw :argh:. I really want to snag some to accompany my Dark Ryu.

I went to the Fair City Mall one in Fairfax, if that helps.

I snagged 4 - and each was an alternate color - Dhalsim, Chun-Li, and Ken x 2

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Red posted:

I went to the Fair City Mall one in Fairfax, if that helps.

I snagged 4 - and each was an alternate color - Dhalsim, Chun-Li, and Ken x 2

drat, I was at the one at Potomac Mills and there wasn't any sign of them. I'm not familiar with Fair City Mall, but I'll google it. If you don't want the Chun-Li or Ken, I'll gladly take them off your hands (or if you end up going back, I'd buy more off of you).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Agrias120 posted:

drat, I was at the one at Potomac Mills and there wasn't any sign of them. I'm not familiar with Fair City Mall, but I'll google it. If you don't want the Chun-Li or Ken, I'll gladly take them off your hands (or if you end up going back, I'd buy more off of you).

I don't know that I have time to go back, and I'll keep what I have - but the Fair City Mall is really easy to find.

Just go up 95, get on 495 towards Tyson's, and take the exit for Little River Turnpike (to Fairfax). It'll be in the shopping center on the right with Best Buy and Bed/Bath/Beyond.

That Five Below is top notch. I also found a Wii arcade joystick for SF2 that I can use with the Wii U - for $5. It's like $45 on Amazon. It's also next door to a theater that shows indie/foreign stuff.

Edit: Back by the toys, son.

Red fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 16, 2014

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...

Djarum posted:

Sadly there has never been a Batman figure that has hit it out if the park. All of then have issues, which if you get a couple and put then together and get something decent.

The best options are as such.

The pre-DCSH Attack Armor Batman which was only released overseas and commands a pretty penny. Most people replace the awful head with a DCD Hush Batman and it makes a pretty fair representation of it. Articulation is better than a lot of the Mattel stuff but no where near ML.

The DCSH wave 3 or 8 Batman, Wave 3 is in Blue and Grey and Wave 8 is Black and Grey. Pretty amazing sculpt on this there are even treads with a little Bat symbols in the boots. The articulation is almost exactly the same as the DCUC figures so no double elbows, knees or wrist articulation. They tend to go for quite a bit of money, even loose since they are considered to be the bar standard for a modern Batman and they have sadly not made much better. I have a wave 3 with a cape and head from DCD figures to make a pretty good Bats.

The DCUC Wave 1. This is a really good figure if you are looking for a 70s/Super Friends Batman. It's not my cup of tea but to each their own. Standard DCUC articulation and he comes with a few Batarangs that were included with the DCSH Bats.

Other than those there are some various DCD figures people like; the Secret Files figure, Hush, etc. They tend to look very good but are underwhelming in articulation. You are lucky a lot if the time to get anything over T hips and swivel arms and head.

As I said before you are better off just making a custom figure with parts you like. I do not think that Mattel is going to spend the money of a good quality Comic Batman that we all desire and DCD can't.

Bandai is making a Figuarts of Batman, so who knows, you guys might get a perfectly pose-able figure with good sculpting

However it's based on the Injustice Gods Among Us Batman so...there is that

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I'm selling off a good chunk of my collection and was told I ought to link the list in this thread. Got the Hot Toys Avengers, some hasbro Iron Man 2 stuff, Halo figures, import robot toys, some building kits, and transformers. http://sale.bumblecron.com My e-mail is linked at the top of that page or you can PM me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm selling off a good chunk of my collection and was told I ought to link the list in this thread. Got the Hot Toys Avengers, some hasbro Iron Man 2 stuff, Halo figures, import robot toys, some building kits, and transformers. http://sale.bumblecron.com My e-mail is linked at the top of that page or you can PM me.

I sent you an email!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Play Arts Kai Rorshach

It looks amazing, hope than I can found him at a reasonable price and SE has gotten better with the QA issues though.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
How is Toys R Us with pre-orders?

I was browsing the web and stumbled onto this: Power Rangers Legacy Dragonzord for $59.99 (Estimated Ship date: 06/13/2014).

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Mitsune posted:

I was browsing the web and stumbled onto this: Power Rangers Legacy Dragonzord for $59.99 (Estimated Ship date: 06/13/2014).

Generally awful, last time I dealt with them, they may have improved though.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Mitsune posted:

As long as its not a super higly sought after item, you'll be gtg. However do expect that box to show up beat to poo poo and almost destroyed. Possibly beating the Dragonzord box to poo poo as well.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Pictures of the new Godzilla toys have popped up, posting the link for people who don't want to know what Godzilla looks like: http://www.collectiondx.com/news_item/31814/new_godzilla_toys_bandai_neca_and_jakks_pacific_spoiler_alert

There's a nice mix of stuff for older and younger fans, and I know I'm going to buy the mini cityscapes. I wonder what the NECA pricing will be, I'm betting $30-40 for the 12" and $80 for the 24".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SpikeMcclane posted:

Sent a link to my buddy!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gann Jerrod posted:

Pictures of the new Godzilla toys have popped up, posting the link for people who don't want to know what Godzilla looks like: http://www.collectiondx.com/news_item/31814/new_godzilla_toys_bandai_neca_and_jakks_pacific_spoiler_alert...

Boy, do I not like that redesign. I'm not a fan of how the top brow flattens the head like it has down syndrome. Downszilla. :(

e: For reference, a tiger with Down Syndrome:

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 18, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Speaking of Godzilla, my SH Figurearts of the 64 version came in today! :D

gently caress these are fantastic!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

SpikeMcclane posted:

Dude are you dumping your entire TF collection?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SymfonyMan posted:

Boy, do I not like that redesign. I'm not a fan of how the top brow flattens the head like it has down syndrome. Downszilla. :(

e: For reference, a tiger with Down Syndrome:

I never knew than Down Syndrome could affect animals :stare:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Those pictures are always so depressing.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Been a long time waiting on these, but finally I'll have some containers to go with my utility belt. Had to be patient making sure the color would be an exact match to the buckle and C-arms.

Next will be installing the magnetic hooks so the containers can slide around the belt freely.

The Grapple Gun is still a bit lighter gold, more the TDK and TDKR colors than the burnished bronze of the equipment from Begins, so I may strip and repaint it to match. The containers should be here within the next week. Then I'll finally be able to take precise measurements of the finished products and begin CNC carving out the spots in my carrying case foam for everything. There are places cut out now, but nowhere near as precisely as I'd like. I've been settling for carving using an electric knife and an X-acto blade. The stock foam that came with my case has been a good practice medium to test out my layout ideas, and I believe I have nailed down the final design. It's pretty close to the interior of the transport case that Lucius Fox shows Bruce in the film, but with more room for a few extra accessories, and the lid will have cutouts for batarangs.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Ka0 posted:

Dude are you dumping your entire TF collection?

Scarily, no. And even then, I will never get rid of my classic Jazz molds or Autotroopers. Or Bumblecron.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That sure is a tubby Godzilla design.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone have any sealed Toy Biz Marvel Legends figures they wanna part with? I have some holes in my collection.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
What's some decent websites for 1/6th scale clothing? Normal stuff, not like army gear or superhero costume stuff.

Found some patterns, but no real luck with stuff like jean jackets, etc.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

The Rage posted:

Anyone have any sealed Toy Biz Marvel Legends figures they wanna part with? I have some holes in my collection.

Sealed? No, but I've got some loose/complete/good condition ones if you're interested.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Sealed? No, but I've got some loose/complete/good condition ones if you're interested.

Sure, shoot me a list

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Anybody had any luck finding a Black Widow Legends figure yet? I've searched high and low and am coming up with nothing.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Everybody is :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

therealjon_ posted:

Everybody is :(

And that's the problem.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I preordered the set for a little bit over retail so I wouldn't have to deal with that poo poo. It's worth a few extra bucks not having to hunt it down, and I'll probably come out ahead after adding in fuel costs, etc.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

SpikeMcclane posted:

Looking forward to some Iron men! Thanks again.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

OK this is kinda out there but I've been pondering something for a while.

I've got this hobby of making custom toys that are pretty rad (see my history in this thread for a ton of pictures) but it's not particularly viable as a way to make money, cause they take too long. But honestly I'm pretty broke and I need money, and sculpting is one of my few potentially marketable skills. I've got some experience with casting and molding, and I always thought it would be cool to do fully original figures, make a limited number of copies of each, hand-paint them, and sell them on ebay or etsy or whatever. I'd have to keep the articulation kinda limited but they could at least have some varied display options. They'd occupy some kind of gray area between toy and statue, basically. I'm not sure how low I could drive the cost, but at least I wouldn't need to charge a couple grand per figure.

The thing that keeps tripping me up is, most of the toy collectors of the world seem primarily interested in having little collectible versions of their favorite movie or video game characters. Obviously I can't afford any awesome IP licenses. Occasionally you get people like 4 Horsemen or Ashley Wood doing original designs and it goes over well, but I'm worried the entire thing would fall flat if people see it and they're like "nice work, but I haven't seen that guy on my TV before."

I've thought about doing some kind of shady thing where I make figures "inspired by" licensed characters, where it's kind of a radical re-imagining along the lines of the Earthworm Jim stuff I've made, possibly different enough that I won't get sued. But then how do I market that to the fans of whatever thing without Johnny Law taking notice and ruining my life? They tend to turn a blind eye to the selling of unique custom figures, but if mass production enters the picture it could set me up for bad consequences. I don't have the benefit of being in China where knockoffs receive less scrutiny. So, as much as I'd like to hook up every nerd in the world with a Mega Man like mine, I feel like it would be smarter to do original characters and just try to make them extremely cool to look at.

So, since you guys are a decent cross-section of my target audience, I figured I'd ask for some input here. Which is a more important factor when you shell out for a fancy toy, the coolness of the toy or the coolness of the character being represented? What's the ratio there? Is there inherent appeal in the prospect of owning a cool toy that only maybe a hundred other people have? Would you be willing to pay a little more for something that was hand-produced by a guy you sorta know from the internet? Any other random thoughts on this?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 6, 2014

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I've always tended towards known IPs just because my budget is finite and I like playing with tiny versions of characters I know from other media. That said, some of my favorite toy purchases of the last decade have been original creations like 4H's Scarabus or Sideshow's The Dead and when it comes down to it a sweet toy is a sweet toy, regardless of license. There's absolutely a market out there for the niche stuff, you just need to be sure the right fanbase knows you're doing it.

As far as copy protected characters go, I think if you stick to commissions and eBay sales of single figures you're still outside the realm of infringement, I know Jin Saotome has made a decent living doing just that; I think the trouble lies in trying to do larger runs of copyrighted characters.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

And that's the problem.

1: scarcity drives up demand
2: ???????
3: profit!

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Any other random thoughts on this?

Say I'll make anything you want, just custom order it! Prices are for a custom figure of any shape with this many points of articulation, this many colors, limbs, etc, and maybe an album of your past work. I haven't heard of people who do custom fanart, paintings etc being sued, because you aren't selling the IP you are selling your time and effort plus materials.

Edit: after reading your post further, you might be able to get away with the casting stuff for a while under the radar, but eventually if there is enough money to be had, IP owners will come at you for selling multiple reproduced copies of their IP.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Any other random thoughts on this?

Look at the market for third party transformers add-ons, and do that for other toy lines.

Also, your molding and casting experience means you could reproduce rare and expensive parts (if someone provides and original). The market for that is huge, and providers are scarce, flaky, and mostly gone these days. Check out what reproduction Black Zarak parts tend to go for, and realize if you can provide a steady stream of them you have a lozenge to print money.

Double points if you learn how to reliably shrink/enlarge parts. How many times have you been working on a custom and thought "drat, that head is perfect, but too small!" It happens to me constantly.