Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Varance posted:

Overkill.

This is a prototype monotube mast arm traffic signal from 15 years ago at the intersection of SR693 and SR694 in Pinellas Park (St Petersburg, FL). It never caught on, primarily due to locals complaining about the sewer pipe hanging over the intersection (it was originally painted copper brown). But hey, it's stylish if it's over an expressway. The thing's taken direct hits without a scratch.

There's also another test in Gainesville, near the University of Florida. Not quite as ugly, but similarly hated.

Why does the horizontal part need to be so solid? It's not going to get hit by any trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tilp posted:

Why does the horizontal part need to be so solid? It's not going to get hit by any trucks.

Wild Assed Guess:

They started replacing pole and wire signals with single-post solid arms in the early '00s in my area. The '05 season accelerated that significantly.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Wild Assed Guess:

They started replacing pole and wire signals with single-post solid arms in the early '00s in my area. The '05 season accelerated that significantly.
Correct. It was a test of using freeway signage monotube as a hurricane-proof mount for traffic signals that could survive something like Andrew - restoring power and installing new signal heads is a lot faster and cheaper than having to restring an entire intersection... plus you don't have to worry about masses of steel catenary randomly flailing about, causing massive damage.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 5, 2013

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Varance posted:

Overkill.

The first time I saw that pipe I thought it was the coolest thing ever and wondered why the rest of the county didn't do it. Now I know!

Kakairo posted:

It looks like IDOT may finally be doing something about one of the biggest bottlenecks in the county, Chicago's Circle Interchange. I'm not sure it's enough, though.

Space is very constrained at this site, so the options are limited. Still, I suspect they could do more than just widen lanes. Won't this just fill up to capacity again in a few years? I go through here a few times a week, moving from NB I-90/94 to WB I-290, and that ramp can back up the whole system for miles. Just throwing another lane on that slow, tight curve won't do much.

There's no date for completion yet, so this could all end up being a pie-in-the-sky dream (especially in a state as broke as Illinois). More info on the project at http://www.circleinterchange.org/

Nothing short of rebuilding the whole thing would seem to be enough ...

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Is there anything like Braess's paradox for added lanes? The Chicago's Circle Interchange work seems like it is just a bandaid that won't do a whole lot in just a couple years time as less congestion is just an invitation for more people to use that highway leading to more congestion.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
In the city I live in they are doing some work on the on/off ramps for the freeway here. I hear they are turning it into a cloverleaf, but I don't know for certain. Could someone explain how this would benefit from a cloverleaf design?

(click for googlemaps)

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Terminal Entropy posted:

Is there anything like Braess's paradox for added lanes? The Chicago's Circle Interchange work seems like it is just a bandaid that won't do a whole lot in just a couple years time as less congestion is just an invitation for more people to use that highway leading to more congestion.

The only way around that is to limit your demand. Work toward stricter building codes, zero (or negative) population growth, move people onto other modes, that sort of thing.

PureRok posted:

In the city I live in they are doing some work on the on/off ramps for the freeway here. I hear they are turning it into a cloverleaf, but I don't know for certain. Could someone explain how this would benefit from a cloverleaf design?

(click for googlemaps)

I really hope they mean partial cloverleaf (parclo), because cloverleaf interchanges are 20+ years out of date and universally considered to be bad designs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Someone needs to work on their centering skills.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

smackfu posted:

Someone needs to work on their centering skills.

Our sign detail drafter is a 6'2 motorcyclist who could crush any of us engineers. You don't tell him how to design signs, he doesn't tell you where you can stick your t-square.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Our sign detail drafter is a 6'2 motorcyclist who could crush any of us engineers. You don't tell him how to design signs, he doesn't tell you where you can stick your t-square.

Man that sounds like a sweet job.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
I just found out they're putting a Diverging Diamond here in the cities. Its even on my route to work. yay? :v: I have a feeling there's going to be some confused people when this thing opens up. So, how do you prevent people driving on the wrong side of the road and crashing into each other? How would the light rail tracks running in the middle affect the intersection? Nothing can cross over when a train's going through the intersection after all.

Intersection now Final Layout

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Silver95280 posted:

I just found out they're putting a Diverging Diamond here in the cities. Its even on my route to work. yay? :v: I have a feeling there's going to be some confused people when this thing opens up. So, how do you prevent people driving on the wrong side of the road and crashing into each other? How would the light rail tracks running in the middle affect the intersection? Nothing can cross over when a train's going through the intersection after all.

The answer to your first question is good channelization. Square up those curb corners so people realize they're not supposed to turn. Put some big arrows on the pavement and some DO NOT ENTER signs where appropriate. Really, it shouldn't be any more complicated than the intersection of two one-way streets.

For the second question, the rail lines cross through areas which are already signalized (and thus can be easily pre-empted), and the off-ramps should have plenty of space to queue while the crossing is occupied. Long-term, the rail line should really be buried, but that's incredibly expensive.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Silver95280 posted:

Sweet, super glad we're making this LRT stop even more inhospitable to pedestrians. Really glad we added that one onto the line.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

FISHMANPET posted:

Sweet, super glad we're making this LRT stop even more inhospitable to pedestrians. Really glad we added that one onto the line.

Wait, there's an LRT stop there? Why the hell would you put one in the median at a diamond interchange?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Cichlidae posted:

Wait, there's an LRT stop there? Why the hell would you put one in the median at a diamond interchange?

The stop appears to be immediately to the south, on a surface street and not the freeway.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cichlidae posted:

Bloomington is the suburbs defined. Killing people who can't afford cars is probably considered a benefit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hedera Helix posted:

The stop appears to be immediately to the south, on a surface street and not the freeway.

Yeah, it's south a bit on American Boulevard. The stop was added after the line was built, and it's in the middle of a 6 lane road. It's pretty inhospitable now, but putting at the end of a DDI (not in the middle, whoops) isn't going to make it any better.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
To briefly detour the thread, it feels like America continues to have a real bias to rail for transporting folk. How would you go about overcoming that and other obstacles to make using it a reality?

If you feel up to it, do you think it would be possible to do something similar for trolley systems in certain cities?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

December Octopodes posted:

To briefly detour the thread, it feels like America continues to have a real bias to rail for transporting folk. How would you go about overcoming that and other obstacles to make using it a reality?

If you feel up to it, do you think it would be possible to do something similar for trolley systems in certain cities?

Subsidies. Make high-speed rail the same price as regular rail, same as France did when its first LGV came online. Keep upgrading facilities, make it cheaper than flight, connect it with your existing transit, remove grade crossings. Basically, it takes money, which nobody in the US is willing to spend because they won't look past the initial cost and see the incredible benefits available.

As for trolleys, light rail is already feasible, and we'd have a lot more of them around if GM wasn't so evil back in the day.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I don't think America's bias against rail has anything to do with being willing to invest, so much as rail being wholly ineffective in decentralized and spread-out American cities. To have effective passenger rail, you need high-density places to transport people to and from, and that largely doesn't exist in America outside of a very small handful of metropolitan areas. Our homes are largely in sprawling suburban subdivisions, and jobs are largely in sprawling industrial parks and commercial areas. The handful of communities that have tried to invest in rail after a century of growth based around the car have met with utter dismal failure.

The "American Dream" is a nice big house with a well groomed lawn in a quiet neighborhood with the freedom to hop in your car and 5 minutes later be parked 50' from the entrance to a grocery store.

The good news (if you can call it that) is that rail is actually not all that energy efficient. Trains and buses are big and heavy and while are very efficient when fully loaded, run virtually empty most of the time but still need to run to service routes during off-peak hours as well as peak. Hybrid-electric and EV cars (with 1.57 pax, which I think is the actual average passenger rate) are actually more efficient than the most efficient rail in the world, and are a wiser place for america to invest.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 6, 2013

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Rail can be (and already is) competitive with short and medium-haul air travel, especially with the added hassle of security and transport to and from airports. The Northeast Corridor and parts of California are already showing that, and hopefully more and more of the Chicago-centered Amtrak system will get to 110 mph or faster. For cities with less developed transit systems, there's no reason you can't have rental car facilities at train stations just like you do at airports.

I wouldn't call the light rail lines in Minneapolis, Charlotte, Denver, or Phoenix (to name a few) "dismal failures" either.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A midwest HSR network centered on Chicago basically has the same spread of population centers as the TGV centered in Paris. For a lot of city pairs in the midwest, even mid speed rail can be faster from city center to city center than flying.

And BTU per passenger mile is a pretty stupid way to compare transportation modes. It assumes that going farther is better. If you really want to talk about energy efficiency, you'll care about how many BTU each trip costs.

Basically, this Randal O'toole poo poo needs to :getout:.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
:ssh: The reality is that the kind of trips that could be served by high speed rail are a very small proportion of the trips made each day in this country :ssh:

Regular speed rail is way more important to build out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, HSR can be pretty expensive, the midwest would do pretty well with 110 MPH service.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

All this talk about high speed rail, but guess how bad the New Haven line is:

Wikipedia posted:

A number of projects are either planned or underway that will upgrade the catenary system, replace outdated bridges, and straighten certain sections of the New Haven Line to accommodate the Acela's 240 km/h (150 mph) maximum operating speeds. Much of the catenary system has not been upgraded since the New Haven Railroad installed the catenary wires in 1907.

The signal system is nonexistent on the Danbury branch. At South Norwalk a GCT bound train can be forced to wait up to 20 minutes for other trains using the main line. Due to the fact that only one active line exists from Wilton to Danbury, most off-peak Danbury bound trains have to wait at Wilton station for the opposing train to pass by.

Don't forget to marvel at the cars in service - 40 years and going strong!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arMcRUkeJTM

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been watching some BBC shows about the British rail system. They've got a really robust service, and between a lot of smaller cities they run Diesel Multiple Units with only one or two units. Vehicles like that make smaller trains more energy efficient and also require less capital for frequent service (but if you run frequent service that still requires more labor which costs more money). But vehicles like that are illegal in the US because of silly FRA reasons.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

FISHMANPET posted:

A midwest HSR network centered on Chicago basically has the same spread of population centers as the TGV centered in Paris. For a lot of city pairs in the midwest, even mid speed rail can be faster from city center to city center than flying.

And BTU per passenger mile is a pretty stupid way to compare transportation modes. It assumes that going farther is better. If you really want to talk about energy efficiency, you'll care about how many BTU each trip costs.

Basically, this Randal O'toole poo poo needs to :getout:.
Actually, that's a very good point- BTUs per passenger mile don't represent that the bus drives 12 miles in a roundabout route that a car could have taken a more direct route and only traveled 6 or 8. Or that people have to drive a car to a park 'n ride to catch a train, and then catch a cab on the far side.

Would be very nice if we had a cheap rail alternative to air, especially to major cities where travelers could transition directly to subways and wouldn't really need a car at the far end. Would be REALLY nice.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

grover posted:

Actually, that's a very good point- BTUs per passenger mile don't represent that the bus drives 12 miles in a roundabout route that a car could have taken a more direct route and only traveled 6 or 8. Or that people have to drive a car to a park 'n ride to catch a train, and then catch a cab on the far side.

The vast majority of passenger trips on local service transit are shorter than an "average" car trip, because in the areas served by that transit, things are closer together.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FISHMANPET posted:

I've been watching some BBC shows about the British rail system. They've got a really robust service, and between a lot of smaller cities they run Diesel Multiple Units with only one or two units. Vehicles like that make smaller trains more energy efficient and also require less capital for frequent service (but if you run frequent service that still requires more labor which costs more money). But vehicles like that are illegal in the US because of silly FRA reasons.

The British rail system also has absolutely no high speed rail service except on the line that was built to link the Chunnel to London.

Diesel and gasoline multiple unit cars used to be very common on American rails. But they mostly died off around the time when Amtrak had to be created to manage passenger rail service, as they had been used pretty much exclusively on low traffic branch lines. The lines considered worth saving were often instead converted to regular push pull service if demand was high enough.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Don't forget to marvel at the cars in service - 40 years and going strong!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arMcRUkeJTM

Hey we're upgrading the M8, traveling in style now.

I've yet to get on a metro-north train with the M8 cars yet though :(

When it comes to any aspect of non automobile transit in the US though, trolleys, bicycles, cars, commuter rail, long distance high speed rail, ect, the importance of car culture can never be underestimated. Unless it's a plane where you have to travel a long distance in a very short time frame, many Americans can't fathom why you wouldn't drive your car. We I think in large part personify are cars, since we have to spend so much time in them, they become part of our personality, which means when people don't want to be in cars, some people begin to be threatened by the entire concept of that. The end result of this though is transit requires subsidies, much like the infrastructure to drive cars does, but, many people don't see their cars as being subsidized, and loathe the idea of subsidizing non auto traffic. And for commuter and mass transit traffic, there's always the "Ugh, I'm sick of subsidizing buses and poo poo for those drat poors and minorities"

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
That's captured in this highly accurate Onion report:

Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others

FISHMANPET posted:

The vast majority of passenger trips on local service transit are shorter than an "average" car trip, because in the areas served by that transit, things are closer together.
That's selection bias, though, and does not consider time/distance spent walking or taking a cab to/from the train station - if you drove a car point-to-point in those cities, you'd be traveling a much shorter distance in most cases.

Lack of parking and insane road congestion drive people to walk and/or rail in city travel; none of which apply when talking about trying to apply rail service to the rest of the US where distances between point A and point B are much longer and there is ample parking for all. Mass transit ridership density will drop dramatically with population density, while overhead operational and infrastructure costs remain the same or larger.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 7, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

I am curious as to where this infographic was taken from, what methodology was used, and why they chose the (now-defunct) Galveston trolley, of all systems, as an example of light rail. You can't seriously expect a heritage trolley for a city with a declining population, which had apparently run its equipment into the ground over the course of thirty years before having to shut down after Hurricane Ike, to be representative of anything, can you? Really now. It's an outlier.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Do you mean a bias towards rail or a bias against rail? While several posters have covered the latter, I honestly think the former is dangerous too--a model BRT system could serve more passengers more flexibly than LRT at a lower capital cost. Of course, not only is there no model system in the US, there's a huge mistrust of buses. To overcome the bias towards rail (and against buses), heavy investment in buses is needed. http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/07/why-we-should-stop-talking-about-bus-stigma/2601/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The source of the graph seems to be some random blog (http://www.templetons.com/brad/transit-myth.html), but I think the data is taken for a former edition of the Department of Energy Transportation Data Book. I say former because reading the current version (http://cta.ornl.gov/data/tedb31/Edition31_Chapter02.pdf), it does talk about BTU per passenger mile for various modes of transport, and it does give information for various light rail, heavy rail, and commuter rail systems, it doesn't break down specific vehicles, nor include the average load that this graphic includes.

The website says former versions of the report are not available, so basically the data is unverifiable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FISHMANPET posted:

The source of the graph seems to be some random blog (http://www.templetons.com/brad/transit-myth.html), but I think the data is taken for a former edition of the Department of Energy Transportation Data Book. I say former because reading the current version (http://cta.ornl.gov/data/tedb31/Edition31_Chapter02.pdf), it does talk about BTU per passenger mile for various modes of transport, and it does give information for various light rail, heavy rail, and commuter rail systems, it doesn't break down specific vehicles, nor include the average load that this graphic includes.

The website says former versions of the report are not available, so basically the data is unverifiable.

What it also ignores is that 1000 BTUs produced by a gasoline engine in a personal vehicle and 1000 BTUs produced in a power plan will have vastly different efficiencies in fuel usage; as well as much different pollution profiles (even if the power plant is a filthy coal plant, it's still going to be a lot less pollution).

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

More mass transit and less car only suburban sprawl will come to America when oil gets to expensive.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

FISHMANPET posted:

I found that graphic years ago during a D&D debate; you can argue that BTU/passenger mile is not the only important statistic, but the information in the graphic checked out and the blog is a good read, too. Mileage of cars is steadily improving due to CAFE from where it was when that graph was made, but once we start talking EV vs electric train, it's definitely apples-to-apples.

IMHO, EV cars + nuclear power is the sweet spot for peak energy efficiency of low-density suburban sprawl cities. Those costs are largely insulated from the rising cost of oil and gas and will likely remain the sweet spot for the design length of public roads and infrastructure being built now and in the near future.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

grover posted:

IMHO, EV cars + nuclear power is the sweet spot for peak energy efficiency of low-density suburban sprawl cities. Those costs are largely insulated from the rising cost of oil and gas and will likely remain the sweet spot for the design length of public roads and infrastructure being built now and in the near future.

Completely agreed. Possibly not with traditional pressurized water reactors, but fission power is definitely the key to sustainable first-world growth. It's really too bad that the knee jerk reaction to more nuclear power is:

:supaburn: BUT ATOMS ARE BAD :supaburn:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

MrYenko posted:

Completely agreed. Possibly not with traditional pressurized water reactors, but fission power is definitely the key to sustainable first-world growth. It's really too bad that the knee jerk reaction to more nuclear power is:

:supaburn: BUT ATOMS ARE BAD :supaburn:

There is no such thing as sustainable growth! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

There is no such thing as sustainable growth! :eng101:

But "somewhat less-unsustainable growth" doesn't have the same feel-good connotations, and it's kind of awkward to use as a phrase.