Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

The Chairman posted:

It's license renewal month here in NJ and I am getting cold-called by every single vendor of PDHs in the country

I get physical junk mail and an occasional email that makes it through the spam filters, but I've never had a phone call. I guess they're a little more agressive out your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

jjack229 posted:

I get physical junk mail and an occasional email that makes it through the spam filters, but I've never had a phone call. I guess they're a little more agressive out your way.

I get them all the time, Colorado doesn't even need pdh... On my work phone only at least.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

I'll add my data point: just got the offer for Eng -> Senior Eng for 6% more pay (chemical/process engineering). Little lower than what I was hoping for, we'll see if they're willing to play ball at the negotiating table tomorrow morning.
Finally an update: I went back the next day and asked for 10%. Two weeks later they came back with 8.4% as "the best they could do after a long internal negotiation". I took it and am happy I asked for more.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spf3million posted:

Finally an update: I went back the next day and asked for 10%. Two weeks later they came back with 8.4% as "the best they could do after a long internal negotiation". I took it and am happy I asked for more.

Nice job.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Well I finally took the EIT.

I have to say one extremely disspointing thing about the test was that I could not write on a blank piece of paper, since it is now all computer based.

Instead I was forced to try and write on some laminated poo poo with some test center provided sharpie marker.

It did not go well. Maybe I got lucky and passed... Will know in a bit.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Here is to luck. That is crazy you can't write something down now.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Senor P. posted:

Well I finally took the EIT.

I have to say one extremely disspointing thing about the test was that I could not write on a blank piece of paper, since it is now all computer based.

Instead I was forced to try and write on some laminated poo poo with some test center provided sharpie marker.

It did not go well. Maybe I got lucky and passed... Will know in a bit.

I felt super lovely about it after I took it, and kinda broke down that night (other issues added to it). There were entire sections I'd never even encountered before (nuclear engineer, so I'd never seen impulse forces before then).

I passed.

It's multiple choice, so you really only need to feel confident you got about half right and you're a shoe-in.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I read awhile back that you only need to get half or so of the EIT correct to pass. Don’t sweat it too much. Even if you didn’t get it this time, you now know what to study and can kill it next time.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lmao how did you miss the part of their post where they said they passed

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Thinking about prepping for the computer engineering PE (wholly useless in my field) just so I can get a sick stamp that I can abuse at work.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Noctone posted:

lmao how did you miss the part of their post where they said they passed

How'd you miss the part where two different people were posting about the exam

Gorman Thomas posted:

Thinking about prepping for the computer engineering PE (wholly useless in my field) just so I can get a sick stamp that I can abuse at work.

100% support this

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Not a Children posted:

How'd you miss the part where two different people were posting about the exam

Literally didn't get any sleep last night :shobon:

My B

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
To what extent will getting a Masters degree in EE open up opportunities for me?

I've been out of college for a year now with my BSEE. I've been working as a systems engineer within onboard telematics. Mostly just writing test plans, updating excel spreadsheets, and doing some testing here and there depending on the bug. Ideally, I'd like to be in a position where I am closer to the hardware - helping to determine the right component for the system, etc. Or at least be half hardware, half paperwork (test plans, FMEAs, BOMs, etc). In college I was heavily involved with robotics and really enjoyed the project management aspect of that - coming up with the design, weighing the pros and cons of designs, figuring out which parts would be best to use as well as fitting our budget, etc.

The only jobs that I seem to be qualified for are other systems integration engineering, test engineering, and verification/validation engineering, but I don't want to be stuck in this sector forever.

My current employer offers tuition reimbursement up to 90% and I can take up to 5 years to get it part time so it seems like a no brainer for a single guy in his mid-20s. Thoughts? Anything I should consider before entering the point of no return? Any alternatives I should consider?

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 11, 2018

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

It’s that time of the year where we need to do our development goals for the next year. I’ve realised that I’m not going to use this as skills to develop my current role, but how to develop for the next role I see.

I’m getting more requests to do reports and proposals to the board. I’ve realised that I’m trying to present my data as an engineer, and they want brief succinct information. I’m terrible at that, any of you know what kind of course or training would be good at distilling information down to salient points?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dangerous Mind posted:

To what extent will getting a Masters degree in EE open up opportunities for me?

I've been out of college for a year now with my BSEE. I've been working as a systems engineer within onboard telematics. Mostly just writing test plans, updating excel spreadsheets, and doing some testing here and there depending on the bug. Ideally, I'd like to be in a position where I am closer to the hardware - helping to determine the right component for the system, etc. Or at least be half hardware, half paperwork (test plans, FMEAs, BOMs, etc). In college I was heavily involved with robotics and really enjoyed the project management aspect of that - coming up with the design, weighing the pros and cons of designs, figuring out which parts would be best to use as well as fitting our budget, etc.

The only jobs that I seem to be qualified for are other systems integration engineering, test engineering, and verification/validation engineering, but I don't want to be stuck in this sector forever.

My current employer offers tuition reimbursement up to 90% and I can take up to 5 years to get it part time so it seems like a no brainer for a single guy in his mid-20s. Thoughts? Anything I should consider before entering the point of no return? Any alternatives I should consider?

Sounds like OnStar.

Also, I don’t think a masters is the right thing for you; it sounds like you want to get closer to the design side of things, but not low level designing circuits / hardware things like that. That said, in my opinion, the guys who have done the low level grunt work of detailed design work end up in a better position to do system architecture, make the detailed trades of choosing a particular SoC or chip like that, and some of the stuff you talked about.

A free degree is good, but which school will it be through? My masters while working was disappointing; only maybe 3-4 of my classes were hardcore, learn more engineering/further your craft: MMIC design, IC design, nanofabrication and antenna design); the rest were all surveys that honestly could have been from 10 hours of reading Wikipedia. Perfect for people ticking a box on their career.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Dangerous Mind posted:

I did the MSEE while working in a bit of a different realm, power systems. I'd say it's pretty solidly optional -- I didn't get a red cent when I got it, though I was able to argue for a larger raise for my annual review. My job responsibilities did not change one iota as a result of getting it, though your mileage may vary on that. 90% tuition reimbursement is nothing to sneeze at, though I'm pretty sure it becomes taxable income once you pass $5250 in a year, so keep that in mind. If the structured environment of coursework is something you really benefit from, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you're better up exploring it through tinkering/as a hobby/trying to angle for those kinds of tasks at work.

I'm glad I have mine, but I'm thrilled to never have to study or do homework again.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Not OnStar, also not giving up the university name because that would give up the employer and I'd like to retain my anonymity.

From the coworker I've talked to the courses are not impossible, just time consuming (even at 1 course/semester for 5 years!). So definitely not just survey courses. At this university I'd have the option of doing a thesis, design, or just courses for the degree. My coworker did the design option, though I don't know much about the design project. Could be cool. There are four distinct specializations but to be honest most of the courses seem pretty interesting to me, especially embedded systems and wireless communications.

I for sure wouldn't use this degree as a way to make up for experience, especially considering if I only take 1-2 courses a semester it'd take me 3-5 years to finish anyways. I just think it'd be a decent way of broadening my knowledge in areas that I lack knowledge, so when in the future I see a position that I'm interested in that requires some knowledge about RF or control systems I could be like "oh, I remember taking a class on that and hated it, AVOID" or "oh yea I really liked that class, definitely applying to this job" (since, I assume, the senior positions I'd be applying to would require some extensive-ish working knowledge of those subjects and I'd hate to accept a position where it turns out I hated the subject unknowingly). And of course, once I move into more senior/architectural positions I'll have that broader knowledge of technologies and systems to help me fill the gaps. So that's why I'm leaning more towards the course option.

Also, before I pull the trigger on entering the program, I think a good idea would be to pass the FE exam and possibly CCNA to ensure I'm not going in as a blank slate.

Sorry if it sounds like I have my mind made up already, posting more for a "reality check", like maybe I'm going about this the wrong way, and there's an easier way I'm overlooking, etc. I appreciate everyone's input, even if you tell me I'm dumb :P

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dangerous Mind posted:

The reason you are only qualified for low level uninteresting jobs is because you have no experience not because you only have a BSEE. Even with an MSEE fresh out of college no one is going to hire you to do complex work because no one trusts that you can do it.

Honestly, do the work you have well and soon you will be too valuable to use on work that can be done by any recent grad and will naturally matriculate up to more complex tasks. Or, not, if you suck and whine all the time that your better than this job you are likely to have a hard time moving forward.

e: in between writing this and posting it you updated. I agree that working for 5 years while acquiring an MSEE in topics interesting to you will likely leave you in a position to move on to more interesting work. Be sure to ask your employer if there are tasks that you can do that take advantage of your knowledge as you acquire it. Embedded systems and wireless communications are both fields that what you learn in school is, at best, an introduction to the topic and it will take years to of real work in the field to master it.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 11, 2018

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
How am I whining, I'm asking for friendly advice?

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 11, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dangerous Mind posted:

From the coworker I've talked to the courses are not impossible, just time consuming (even at 1 course/semester for 5 years!). So definitely not just survey courses. At this university I'd have the option of doing a thesis, design, or just courses for the degree. My coworker did the design option, though I don't know much about the design project.
How has your coworker benefited from going through this process?

Dangerous Mind posted:

possibly CCNA
How does this help you at all?

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How has your coworker benefited from going through this process?

He's moved onto working as a lead on one of our radios and works closely with the hardware and software teams.

How does this help you at all?

Because one of the classes I'm interested in is Embedded TCP/IP, and part of my job deals with network protocols, so why not?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dangerous Mind posted:

He's moved onto working as a lead on one of our radios and works closely with the hardware and software teams.
And his assertion is that the masters is what made the difference? I'm not saying this isn't the case, I'm just challenging your assumptions.

Dangerous Mind posted:

Because one of the classes I'm interested in is Embedded TCP/IP, and part of my job deals with network protocols, so why not?
I'm not seeing the connection between knowing how to configure Cisco routers and your goals, but use your time however you'd like. You seem to think it's important so go for it, assuming your employer covers that as education reimbursement as well.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

And his assertion is that the masters is what made the difference? I'm not saying this isn't the case, I'm just challenging your assumptions.

I'm saying it may have played a part in reaching that position sooner than later.

I'm not seeing the connection between knowing how to configure Cisco routers and your goals, but use your time however you'd like. You seem to think it's important so go for it, assuming your employer covers that as education reimbursement as well.

Not specifically to configure Cisco routers, but rather to learn more about TCP/IP networking and how it's implemented in hardware.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 10, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dangerous Mind posted:

How am I whining, I'm asking for friendly advice?

You’ve been out of school a year and you are publicly complaining about not getting to do senior design work.

Maybe I’m projecting, I’ve seen a number of sullen early 20-something’s who are too good for entry level work, and that’s what I read in your initial post. Your follow ups have been much better though.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Dangerous Mind posted:

I'm saying it may have played a part in reaching that position sooner than later.

Not specifically to configure Cisco routers, but rather to learn more about TCP/IP networking and how it's implemented in hardware.

You should take a class on that instead of a vendor cert on configuring their routers.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KetTarma posted:

You should take a class on that instead of a vendor cert on configuring their routers.

This. I mean sure do some CCNA workbooks or something if it really tickles your pickle but taking a Networks course offered by the Engineering department (not some IT thing) that uses the Tanenbaum book would be better imo. That would at least get you thinking about TDM and packet hardware.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I am so pumped about my recent move into operations. We work shifts, 4 on 4 off, and get paid for any hours we work over 40. Like if someone takes vacation someone else has to cover their shift. And gets paid for it. It sounds dumb as hell but it's such a huge change from working as a salaried engineer where you stay till it's done. It's a complete mindset 180 when it comes to working extra. And the best part is, once you clock out, you're done. Out of sight out of mind.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

Hed posted:

This. I mean sure do some CCNA workbooks or something if it really tickles your pickle but taking a Networks course offered by the Engineering department (not some IT thing) that uses the Tanenbaum book would be better imo. That would at least get you thinking about TDM and packet hardware.

Thank you, this is not something I had considered. I will look more into it.

Also, to others, I am definitely not "too good" for entry level work. I'm just trying to think into the future, 5-10 years from now where I want to be and things I could/should be doing now to get there. It's not like as soon as I finish a cert or master's I'm gonna hit up my boss and demand to be promoted. I know things don't work that way.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

Dangerous Mind posted:

Thank you, this is not something I had considered. I will look more into it.

Also, to others, I am definitely not "too good" for entry level work. I'm just trying to think into the future, 5-10 years from now where I want to be and things I could/should be doing now to get there. It's not like as soon as I finish a cert or master's I'm gonna hit up my boss and demand to be promoted. I know things don't work that way.

I just finished my MSEE in December. My program was very similar to the one you described, I took 10 classes over 5 years - one at a time while working.

I picked classes to shore up my knowledge at work, like comms and rf, and was able to move to a role with more design responsibility.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Here’s a q for the thread: how are you expected to dress? And what is your position and size of your company?

I’m at my first co-op work term as an engineer student and they told me to dress “business casual” which to me is collared shirt and jeans or not too fancy khakis or chinos, but half the engineers are in like a t-shirt and whatever pants. To be fair those are the guys who spend half their time in the plant brushing up against fresh rubber and poo poo

A colleague of mine (different company) is literally expected to wear a suit every day and he sits in a cube where he interacts with no one lmao and he hates it

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Here’s a q for the thread: how are you expected to dress? And what is your position and size of your company?

I’m at my first co-op work term as an engineer student and they told me to dress “business casual” which to me is collared shirt and jeans or not too fancy khakis or chinos, but half the engineers are in like a t-shirt and whatever pants. To be fair those are the guys who spend half their time in the plant brushing up against fresh rubber and poo poo

A colleague of mine (different company) is literally expected to wear a suit every day and he sits in a cube where he interacts with no one lmao and he hates it

Bridge Inspector, so basically construction sites and field work. (fingers crossed I'm moving out soon though). 1 professional engineer and 2 junior EIT's (that's me!) + coop students.

Dress is entirely up to me (plus necessary PPE) just don't look like a slob is the only criteria.

Day to day I usually wear a rough pair of jeans, and a collared shirt either polo or button down untucked just to be "fancy", Fridays I choose to go more casual with just a t-shirt.

My thoughts on work dress is I try to avoid wearing too casual clothes for work as when I'm at work, I'm working, and when I'm not working, I'm relaxing. It's hard to relax and hard to get into the work mindset if your casual clothes are your work clothes.

my 2cents.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

At a plant, jeans (no rips, good looking, FR if needed) and polo/button up.

In an office it means slacks and a button up long sleeve, probably no tie.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Last week I discovered that my work statement is going to drastically change very soon.

What would you do if your manager came up to you and said that your sister site's software development team was being dissolved due to downsizing and that your team was picking up the work... and that since you're the only engineer that knows how to program, you're going to develop the transition plan and then pick up the bulk of the work. Prior to this, all of our software updates were pushed to us to install on all of our equipment. The overwhelming majority of my team members are not really computer literate since we mostly do mechanical structures. I handle all of the electrical/controls/automation/etc. I have a tech that assists me although his skills are limited to what I've taught him since we hired him. He's comfortable installing software updates but has never seen code before.

After investigating it, I discovered that the work statement looks like about 60 hours a week of programming, 5-30 hours a week of bug-fixes, 2 weeks per year devoted to security audits (redteam/blueteam, break/fix), and probably 10 hours a week of manually pushing updates to air-gapped machines all over the site.

Right now the plan is that I drop a few of my smaller projects and pick this up as the only programmer while trying to teach my tech how to program from scratch (and also have him help me with whatever grunt-work there is that he can do). My manager said I could also have one of the new hires to use part-time as extra help although I have no idea how to use any of them based on their backgrounds. I'm still going to be the only experienced electrical engineer so I suspect I'll be frequently called away to work on my old projects.

I currently work about 60 hours a week and don't think I can work any more.

What the hell do I do?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I used to be in a 30-engineer office that SOMETIMES had clients in, so it was always "business casual". Polos on top of T-shirts or button-ups or better with slacks or better. I'd sometimes have nice black jeans I could pretend were valid.

In my NEW office, it's 2-4 engineers, and I'm the ranking engineer. We do a lot of field work where we wear full PPE for electrical safety (dealing with LV/MV equipment). In the office it's laissez faire, and I typically wear cargo shorts or blue jeans with t-shirt or hoodie. I love it. The most important guests we ever get are fedex or UPS folks dropping off stuff, so there's no expectations for clients.

It's...probably not typical. But god it's nice.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

KetTarma posted:

What the hell do I do?

If I were in your position I would start looking for a new job, ask for an unreasonably high salary at the current job, then decide if/when to leave based on their response and how much additional work it turns out to be.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KetTarma posted:

Last week I discovered that my work statement is going to drastically change very soon.

What would you do if your manager came up to you and said that your sister site's software development team was being dissolved due to downsizing and that your team was picking up the work... and that since you're the only engineer that knows how to program, you're going to develop the transition plan and then pick up the bulk of the work. Prior to this, all of our software updates were pushed to us to install on all of our equipment. The overwhelming majority of my team members are not really computer literate since we mostly do mechanical structures. I handle all of the electrical/controls/automation/etc. I have a tech that assists me although his skills are limited to what I've taught him since we hired him. He's comfortable installing software updates but has never seen code before.

After investigating it, I discovered that the work statement looks like about 60 hours a week of programming, 5-30 hours a week of bug-fixes, 2 weeks per year devoted to security audits (redteam/blueteam, break/fix), and probably 10 hours a week of manually pushing updates to air-gapped machines all over the site.

Right now the plan is that I drop a few of my smaller projects and pick this up as the only programmer while trying to teach my tech how to program from scratch (and also have him help me with whatever grunt-work there is that he can do). My manager said I could also have one of the new hires to use part-time as extra help although I have no idea how to use any of them based on their backgrounds. I'm still going to be the only experienced electrical engineer so I suspect I'll be frequently called away to work on my old projects.

I currently work about 60 hours a week and don't think I can work any more.

What the hell do I do?

Screw working 60 hrs/wk unless you're paid >$150k/yr in a reasonably priced place to live.

My suggestion is to do two things simultaneously:
1) Develop a plan that will let the change be successful (likely including hiring a dedicated SW person). Share it with your boss. Set boundaries with your boss. If
they balk, leave.
2) Aggressively pursue a new job so you can negotiate from a position of power or just GTFO.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

KetTarma posted:

What the hell do I do?

Ask for an insane raise (like 150% of a senior software dev in your area) and if they won't match it just refuse to take the team over and/or quit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Both companies I worked at (up to around 50 people at the first place and now around a dozen) have been jeans and a collar. Office jobs doing design work. There were various dress codes when meeting with customers, though my current place is "whatever" when it comes to that.

My current job is pretty lax about the collared shirt, especially when I have to work in the shop in 90 degree weather. I still wear one when I can so the guys at the shop know who to turn their noses up to for having the office job.

For a new job, I'd wear khakis and a nice shirt to my first day and judge it after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KetTarma posted:

What the hell do I do?

If mgmts plan is literally, “Eh, Ket will pick up the slack”, I would GTFO because anyplace that inept is going to have problems. Maybe there is a misunderstanding somewhere in the chain?

What I would do is take the expected work load and fit it to a schedule. Try and use previous work done to show as a basis for your estimates. Be as specific as you can, be sure to account for your other EE work as well.

It should be obvious how many hours are needed to complete that work. If it’s more than what you think is reasonable then take it to your boss and tell him/her that this appears to be a conflict and try and work it out.