Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Well, it's definitely a Motorola, so that's a start!

Edit: At least, the one in that photo is. Motorola Stereophonic something or other. Any way you can take a picture of the one you found?

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Devoyniche posted:

I posted this in the "Old Electronics" thread in GBS but I think I might get some more advice here, so I am reposting, hope you don't mind:

I was out walking earlier and found this junked-out piece of poo poo record player set. I picked it up and brought it home, but I don't know what it is. It looks kind of like this except it's missing that middle cylinder, and a needle, and it's that brown color all over. The table part spins when turned on, and the arm moves. Also does anybody know what the model of record player would be called? It doesn't have any model number on it as far as I can tell.

Will it survive being roach sprayed? I'm going to roach spray it and the two speakers it came with and then throw it in a bag but right now it's just in the garage. Will roach spray kill any eggs?

It sounds like you found yourself a nice doorstop.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

This thread inspired me to rip all my Billy Joel records to my PC. Say Goodbye to Hollywood sounds infinitely better on LP.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
As they said in the other thread it's a changer, but without the center adapter it won't work unfortunately.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have a bunch of Billy Joel records no one will take. If any of you guys are interested in them I'll sell them for cheap. Also Springsteen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CPL593H posted:

I have a bunch of Billy Joel records no one will take. If any of you guys are interested in them I'll sell them for cheap. Also Springsteen.

Post which ones and I'll let you know.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Post which ones and I'll let you know.

I know I at least have that one with Billy Joel throwing a rock or something and the one with Bruce Springsteen's rear end being patriotic.

Edit: Actual list.

Billy Joel
Glass House
The Stranger
52nd Street
An Innocent Man

Bruce Springsteen
Born in the USA.

The Stranger, Glass House and 52nd Street are all NM. The rest are a good VG+. They appear to have superficial scuffs here and there, but very likely not deep enough to be audible. Most likely none of these records were ever played. Original inserts are there for all of them. Covers are all pretty much VG+

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 9, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I have a some weird Bruce Springsteen Live Box set which has like 8 records or something.

Never heard a Springsteen song consciously in my life.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I have a some weird Bruce Springsteen Live Box set which has like 8 records or something.

I always confuse him and John Mellancamp because they both sing a bunch of songs about steel mills and New Jersey or whatever the gently caress phoney bullshit.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Fun fact, 52nd Street was the first album commercially released on CD.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ron Burgundy posted:

Fun fact, 52nd Street was the first album commercially released on CD.

The format was ruined before it even began.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The format was ruined before it even began.

:master:

I like you. You're a cool guy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I know I at least have that one with Billy Joel throwing a rock or something and the one with Bruce Springsteen's rear end being patriotic.

Edit: Actual list.

Billy Joel
Glass House
The Stranger
52nd Street
An Innocent Man

Bruce Springsteen
Born in the USA.

The Stranger, Glass House and 52nd Street are all NM. The rest are a good VG+. They appear to have superficial scuffs here and there, but very likely not deep enough to be audible. Most likely none of these records were ever played. Original inserts are there for all of them. Covers are all pretty much VG+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScIWg0iOxUw

Also, gently caress all y'all.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So I'm guessing that's a "no"?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

So I'm guessing that's a "no"?

Nah, sorry- I have all of the ones I want of those already. Either way, you'd have to be pretty near me in Boston to make it worth it. None of those albums is worth more than $5 and I live about 5 blocks from the Comm. Ave 'In Yer Ear' so shipping them or even taking the T somewhere would be a waste for everyone involved.

Also, I know this is swerving into 'pedantic sperg' land but "Born in the USA" isn't really as patriotic as a surprising number of people think it is. It's not as dark or pessimistic as Nebraska but it largely contrasts the patriotism that got/gets attributed to the working class with how hosed over they were post-Vietnam and throughout the '70s. And after the GOP tried to appropriate the title track for the 1984 campaign and got publicly told off, it became pretty much the de-facto anti-Reagan album of the '80s. Just for that I think it's pretty worth listening to- even if it's my least favorite of the big Springsteen albums.

I just bring it up because a lot of people will only get as far as the chorus of the title track before assuming it's just the synthy '80s version of a Toby Keith song.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nah, sorry- I have all of the ones I want of those already. Either way, you'd have to be pretty near me in Boston to make it worth it. None of those albums is worth more than $5 and I live about 5 blocks from the Comm. Ave 'In Yer Ear' so shipping them or even taking the T somewhere would be a waste for everyone involved.

Also, I know this is swerving into 'pedantic sperg' land but "Born in the USA" isn't really as patriotic as a surprising number of people think it is. It's not as dark or pessimistic as Nebraska but it largely contrasts the patriotism that got/gets attributed to the working class with how hosed over they were post-Vietnam and throughout the '70s. And after the GOP tried to appropriate the title track for the 1984 campaign and got publicly told off, it became pretty much the de-facto anti-Reagan album of the '80s. Just for that I think it's pretty worth listening to- even if it's my least favorite of the big Springsteen albums.

I just bring it up because a lot of people will only get as far as the chorus of the title track before assuming it's just the synthy '80s version of a Toby Keith song.

Oh I already knew all that about Born in the USA because I actually bother to listen to the rest of the words from songs. I do pop up in Cambridge pretty often, for what it's worth.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I do pop up in Cambridge pretty often, for what it's worth.

Let's get drunk and yell at each other about how punk we are(n't) sometime.

Seriouspost: This just gave me an idea- Ya'll wanna do a record exchange at some point? Like a secret santa but made up of insufferable people (with a price limit of course). I dunno if it'd be best to make it a regional thing or to open it up to mailing as well. On the one hand, the local record exchanges I've done in the past are fun because they're essentially just a bar meet with LPs- but on the other, the option of going international with it (and some lucky sod getting a 12" of didgeridoo tracks from David Puddy, assuming he'd be party) is kind of appealing, if potentially expensive.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Seriouspost: This just gave me an idea- Ya'll wanna do a record exchange at some point? Like a secret santa but made up of insufferable people (with a price limit of course). I dunno if it'd be best to make it a regional thing or to open it up to mailing as well. On the one hand, the local record exchanges I've done in the past are fun because they're essentially just a bar meet with LPs- but on the other, the option of going international with it (and some lucky sod getting a 12" of didgeridoo tracks from David Puddy, assuming he'd be party) is kind of appealing, if potentially expensive.

I'd be all over this if shipping costs weren't loving ridiculous internationally.

e: Actually, I'd really like to do this. I like looking for rare records, and I can make some people happy with somewhat uncommon vinyl.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 9, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That might be complicated due to how many records the regular posters here typically own.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Electric Bugaloo posted:

(and some lucky sod getting a 12" of didgeridoo tracks from David Puddy, assuming he'd be party)

:toot:

I will take part but if the price limit is $25 or whatever I will only be able to afford to send/be sent a mailer :smith:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Hope you all like spoken word Australian folk stories. With any luck david and I will get each other.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Finally an excuse to buy 100 yen Japanese reggae albums!

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
You know I've never actually listened to any Springsteen (sorry) ... fancy posting it to the UK?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I have that too, it's pretty word. It's got his cover of Jersey Girl on there.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

Also, for whoever it was that was trying to buy the Solaris soundtrack in the UK, it's back in stock at Boomkat:

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/772562-edward-artemiev-solaris-original-soundtrack

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Doing a record exchange sounds like a pretty cool idea. Hope everybody likes Billy Joel. :unsmigghh:

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Start diggin', New Yorkers

New York Public Library Selling 22,000 Vinyl Records

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The retro video games thread has been having a lot of fun with their secret santas, the second or third one is wrapping up soonish (basically when the last few packages reach their destinations) and is already developing into a mini-culture, with certain terrible titles being sent along for fun alongside actual good games and hardware, often stuff from people's wishlists. Also to prevent overlap, some people will post lists of what they already own. Their cutoff is $50, but $50 in games is way lighter than $50 of vinyl. (Also, I don't think they consider shipping costs as part of the price cutoff?)

e: Also, I just found a new thrift shop and decided to do it old-school; buy poo poo that's either awesome or crazy or both. A dollar a piece, gently caress it, let's buy some records.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The final Altar of Plagues album made it to American shores at last.

Double LP at 45RPM, sounds fuckin' stellar. Really glad I got to see these guys live and super glad I have all their releases.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Haven't bought a new record in three months. :feelsgood: I've actually managed to listen to some of my records.

Also I never realized I could have this much money.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Haven't bought a new record in three months. :feelsgood: I've actually managed to listen to some of my records.

Also I never realized I could have this much money.

Ah yes, the upsides of taking a break from buying. I have several more rolling onto the doorstep soon, but I'll be taking a break after that. Yet, even not listening to records is fun. It's almost as if your collection enjoys itself, and you live through it vicariously, through your imagination. Also, I like Walter Benjamin's take on collecting and not listening to records. He's actually talking about books, but the meaning carries over:

quote:

The most profound enchantment for the collector is the locking of individual items within a magic circle in which they are fixed as the final thrill, the thrill of acquisition, passes over them... And [not playing one's records], you will object, should be characteristic of collectors? This is news to me, you may say. It is not news at all. Experts will bear me out when I say that it is the oldest thing in the world. Suffice it to quote the answer which Anatole France gave to a philistine who admired his library and then finished with the standard question, “And you have [played] all these [records], Monsieur France?" “Not one-tenth of them. I don’t suppose you use your Sèvres china every day?"

"Not one-tenth" is pretty extreme, but I'll confess to owning records that have never touched a needle since they've resided in my house.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

While I can't comment on the sound quality, I did just have a quick check online and Rubadub do have a Numark portable online, though out of stock. Truthfully I've never checked when I'm in there myself, but you could always pop in or phone and see if they have one in store or they could probably order one in for you. Sound guys who know their stuff too. Just round from St Enochs on Howard St.

Ah, thanks, I walked past this place the other day and promptly forgot about it. I'll see if I get a chance to go in next week. I live in the West End so there are plenty of record shops around, but I'm not as familiar with the ones in the centre. Cheers!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

landofcake posted:

You know I've never actually listened to any Springsteen (sorry) ... fancy posting it to the UK?

I wouldn't mind but it's probably not worth it to you considering how expensive the shipping would be for a very common record.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I wouldn't mind but it's probably not worth it to you considering how expensive the shipping would be for a very common record.

This is true, I figured it might be a laugh, but it's at least sowed the seed of some sort of goon record exchange :)

Also, I have discovered that it is extremely nice to unexpectedly win records you really, really want on eBay ... I stuck in a bid expecting the end cost to go sky high and it didn't, so thanks to that this should be whinging its way to me in the post this week (I'm so excited):

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oh my god.
All I have ever wanted.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

At first I thought that was Bryter Layter. I got a good laugh out of it when I noticed that it's not. What the hell is it, by the way?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Akuma No Uta by Boris. I want it. I saw them live recently, they owned so hard.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Great record, Boris is great.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I would do bad things for that record.

And what's great is that Boris knows how to play quiet as well as loud---that's got to be an honest tribute with that cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

landofcake posted:

This is true, I figured it might be a laugh, but it's at least sowed the seed of some sort of goon record exchange :)

Also, I have discovered that it is extremely nice to unexpectedly win records you really, really want on eBay ... I stuck in a bid expecting the end cost to go sky high and it didn't, so thanks to that this should be whinging its way to me in the post this week (I'm so excited):

Beautiful. I am green.

In other news I'm sourcing the parts to do a complete re-cap of my Technics SL-D2. Mostly because of this wavering pitch problem that I can't seem to shake but partly because I'm very, very bored. I don't expect it to sound any better, I just want the pitch to stay steady. I know I should just get an AT120 or something but I like this turntable and don't want to give up on it.