Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hope and vaseline posted:

the fuji xf10 which is basically a budget aps-c in a tiny, tiny frame with a fixed prime lens.

Huh. Kind of a neat sounding concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

my morning jackass posted:

I am looking at a point and shoot and can’t decide between the canon g9x mk II and Sony rx100 mk I.

Reviews seem to not be definitive either way so any impressions here? I would likely use it for outdoor photography with landscapes pretty frequently.

I have the RX100 MK1 and it is a very good camera that I am happy with.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

President Beep posted:

Huh. Kind of a neat sounding concept.

Ricoh GRII is also similar in that it's a ludicrously small, discreet APS-C point and shoot. I have durability concerns about it though since its not weather resistant and has a few delicate-seeming moving pieces.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you do consider the xf10, I would also take a look at the ricoh gr ii, you might be able to get a good deal on one with the gr iii coming out at some point. I do a lot of my shooting on it and am always happy with the results. There are two on craiglist around here for ~$400 right now.

You might want to consider shopping used if you aren't already, the rx100 cameras are very popular and you might be able to get an rx100iii (first one with the built in evf) for the same price.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d say if you’re looking at a point and shoot the RX100 III is a good choice since it has a viewfinder and WiFi. The low light is pretty good, not as good as an APS-C sized sensor but definitely better than a phone. Much better depth of field too. If you can wait there’s a Ricoh GR3 coming soon that looks promising. The XF10 leaves me cold for some reason [the lens cap is part of it].

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ricoh GR3 will also have in-body image stabilization, which is incredible in something of that size.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ricoh GR3 will also have in-body image stabilization, which is incredible in something of that size.

Shoot, that's making me want one now as a compact body. The $500 price point for these kinds of cameras is really tempting. I've always wanted something from the X100 Fuji line but its cost is just a little much to justify.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Looking for some advice regarding old Minolta glass: I’ve got an older version Rokkor PF 58mm f/1.4 (non-knobby focus ring) and a Rokkor X MD 50mm f/1.7. The focal distances are close enough that I’m looking to unload one of them. The 1.4 is obviously faster, but it’s also a much older design. I could always do some comparison shots, but given the nature of film... :effort:

Anyone here have any thoughts?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You could sell them both and get the Rokkor-x MD 50mm 1.4 for the best of both worlds. It's bright and super sharp, but that's also a lot of effort so probably not worth it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Oh, poo poo! Hadn’t thought of that. kinda like the sound of that idea.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

Looking for some advice regarding old Minolta glass: I’ve got an older version Rokkor PF 58mm f/1.4 (non-knobby focus ring) and a Rokkor X MD 50mm f/1.7. The focal distances are close enough that I’m looking to unload one of them. The 1.4 is obviously faster, but it’s also a much older design. I could always do some comparison shots, but given the nature of film... :effort:

Anyone here have any thoughts?

You like Minolta?

Buy my XG-1 kit in the B&S thread!

There's a ROKKOR-X MC 45mm F/2 in the kit, just to keep things interesting.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Nooo way, jose! I need to keep paring things down. Thanks to the gear repair thread, I started buying old Minolta stuff to fix up, as my wife already had an old Vivitar-branded X-370 clone that I could use to test lenses. Since the old Minolta stuff can be so cheap, I found myself snapping up any deal I could find.

Compared to buying gear for my EOS digital system, it’s nice, but holy poo poo can stuff begin to stack up!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, if you could get enough from selling the 50/1.7 and 58/1.4 to cover most of the cost of a 50/1.4MD, you'd have the best out of the three. I like the later MD (MDiii series) lenses, they generally have cleaner glass. Plus, Minolta really had their strongest color rendition uniformity across the later lens series. That's one of the things I like about Minolta glass, even from as far back as the Chiyoko Rokkor on the Autocord; it gives color print film a slightly warmed-up look. I think it really shines on cheap drugstore C41 film.

My 58/1.4 has nice defocused highlights wide open, but even up to f/2.8 it lacks some of the contrast and 'bite' that the later lenses have. I can't speak to the bokeh of the 50/1.4MD, but it might not be quite as nice... like a lot of old fast normal lenses, the 58 displays more spherical aberration at wider apertures than later fast 50s, and I tend to find those older optics to have smoother, rounder OOF areas. That's just my subjective opinion, though. As a point of comparison, my Nikon 50/1.4 Ai-S has much better detail rendition at f/2 than my Minolta 58, but the bokeh, while fine, just doesn't look as diffused.

drat, thinking about this makes me wonder about staying with my FE2 and Nikkor collection. I could sell the whole lot (although it'd be hard to let go of the really nice 24/2.8 copy that I was eventually able to score) and have enough to purchase an equivalent Minolta kit, I'd just really miss the practically infinite long autoexposure capability of the FE2. Still, if I could find a black SRT101 or 102 and wide/normal/tele trinity all in outstanding condition, I might be tempted. I think for my 50 I'd grab an SMC Takumar 50/1.4 fitted with a Minolta M42->SR adapter, though. I might like the Pentax 50/1.4's the best, based on what I've seen.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 27, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’ve actually got a non-Rokkor 50mm 1.4 MD on the way that I found on ebay for $55 shipped. Looks to be in nice condition.

Time to sell the 58mm and 50 1.7! The former is a bit scuffed, but the glass is just fine and the aperture is nice and clean. The 1.7 is in good shape, but the focus ring moves just a bit rough—bet I can fix that though. In the end, I expect I’ll be able to recoup what I spent on the 1.4.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Earlier in the thread people recommended me the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro. I picked one up over black friday its real dope so thanks for helping with that. Did some test shooting with the cheap lightbox I also picked up and discovered that I'm going to need some better lights than the crappy CFL lamps I'm using. Any recommendations for a set of LEDs, preferably with some kinda of stand so I don't have to jerry rig something myself?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The usual rec for cheap lights is to head to your local Home Depot or equivalent and pick up some work lights.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm looking to get some advice for some gift shopping.my lady finally got her camera back and I'd really like to find some nice accessories she might enjoy. Taking pictures is a huge passion of hers.
Stills of nature, portraits with the kids, firework displays...just. Pictures. Anywho enough rambling

What you are looking to buy
Gifts for Christmas
Budget
200'ish
Your photo gear you already have
canon eos rebel t6 dslr camera with ef-s 18-55mm IS II and EF 75-300mm III lens some iffy case

Tripod with remote sensorr+ other lenses?

I'm hoping you can all point me in a good direction. I've been reading up trying to understand this all better but yeah. Thank you

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

If she’s inclined towards the artistic end of things, I recommend the 50mm f/1.8 STM.

It’s fast (lets in lots of light), inexpensive, and takes really nice portraits, especially on a crop sensor body like what she has.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm looking to get some advice for some gift shopping.my lady finally got her camera back and I'd really like to find some nice accessories she might enjoy. Taking pictures is a huge passion of hers.
Stills of nature, portraits with the kids, firework displays...just. Pictures. Anywho enough rambling

What you are looking to buy
Gifts for Christmas
Budget
200'ish
Your photo gear you already have
canon eos rebel t6 dslr camera with ef-s 18-55mm IS II and EF 75-300mm III lens some iffy case

Tripod with remote sensorr+ other lenses?

I'm hoping you can all point me in a good direction. I've been reading up trying to understand this all better but yeah. Thank you

A subscription to Lightroom CC or Capture One 12 if she doesn't have any laptop software to edit photos with

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

If she’s inclined towards the artistic end of things, I recommend the 50mm f/1.8 STM.

It’s fast (lets in lots of light), inexpensive, and takes really nice portraits, especially on a crop sensor body like what she has.

Or also the 24 mm f/2.8 STM for a wider-angle but very small and inexpensive option. More for general photos than zoomed tighter like the 50. Either would be a great next step from the two lenses she has already.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

harperdc posted:

Or also the 24 mm f/2.8 STM for a wider-angle but very small and inexpensive option. More for general photos than zoomed tighter like the 50. Either would be a great next step from the two lenses she has already.

I’ve got both lenses, and this is definitely another good suggestion. The 24mm is great for general use/walking around.

Fake edit: Canon should package these two lenses together like they do the nifty fifty/ef-s 10-18mm.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A speedlight flash gun (Yungnuo or Godox), a pop-up softbox and a book on flash to get her started.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Looking for cheap ultrawide lenses that I can adapt to my x-t3 (zoom or prime, does not matter). Budget is cheap, not even $150, I am not looking for the creme de la creme, just want to play around with an UW. I am not buying the Fuji 8-16mm for $2k, at least not yet. I've got a Nikon G adapter and a Canon EF-S adapter, I'm happy to get another adapter if need be. Lenses I'm looking at: Canon EF-S 10-18mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Nikon 20mm f3.5 AIS, and that's it, though that 20mm length is probably too big for what I really want. Any thoughts about what is out there?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Go Pro? Definitely the wide angle you want plus they're endlessly useful for other stuff. A hero 5 shoots 12 MP still with RAW and can easily be had for under $150 used.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

um excuse me posted:

Go Pro? Definitely the wide angle you want plus they're endlessly useful for other stuff. A hero 5 shoots 12 MP still with RAW and can easily be had for under $150 used.

Interesting idea.

You inspired me to look into the numbers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Action-Camera-Sensor-Bluetooth/dp/B00UFFZUO6
A YI Action Camera is about $50 new and has a 155° lens which I think is equivalent to a 3mm lens on a crop body?

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/field_of_view.html

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

spog posted:

Interesting idea.

You inspired me to look into the numbers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Action-Camera-Sensor-Bluetooth/dp/B00UFFZUO6
A YI Action Camera is about $50 new and has a 155° lens which I think is equivalent to a 3mm lens on a crop body?

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/field_of_view.html

A small word of caution: I got one of those sub-$50 GoPro knockoffs as a Christmas gift a couple years ago. The battery has literally never worked, so it's mostly useless unless left plugged into a power source.

The one I got isn't YI, though. As far as I can tell, the company didn't dare actually leave it's name on the cam or packaging at all.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Tripod questions. I currently have a Manfrotto compact element and an Olympus EM1 Mk2. I used the tripod a bunch on my last trip in order to use the camera's hi res mode. It worked pretty well, but I wasn't a big fan of the screw on the head needed to lock the camera plate into the tripod. Also the camera plate would often slowly loosen and rotate, though I know in this case I should have used some loctite.

I looked around and only saw RRS as a company that makes lever mount heads for the arca Swiss pattern. Manfrotto and others have their own proprietary quick release lever mounts and plates. However, the only camera specific plates I can find are in arca Swiss pattern.

I'm interested in the lever mount for a faster setup and takedown when doing landscapes. Don't plan on any other types of photography.

So, my questions are:

How important is a camera specific mounting plate, given a proper application of blue loctite?

If there is no massive difference/need for a camera specific mounting plate, is there any reason to go with the higher priced RRS stuff rather than a Manfrotto head with quick release lever like the 494RC2?

Edit: out of curiosity, would there be any reason to consider a pistol grip head?

The Rat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 3, 2018

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Arca Swiss style plates are more the standard. I'd get that if I were you. RRS is certainly not the only company that makes a lever style clamp for them either, you do need to be careful if you have plates from multiple manufacturers with lever locks since they're not all perfectly the same spec.

I've never had to use locktight on a camera plate and I mostly shoot with heavier DSLRs so I think this is a problem with your specific setup.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

What exactly is your current tripod/head setup?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It's the ball head that came with the tripod by default. https://www.manfrotto.us/element-traveller-tripod-small-with-ball-head-blue

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I believe you should be able to unscrew the plate housing and replace it with a non Manfrotto solution if that works better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer-Universal-Adapter-Release-Compatible/dp/B01LZ87MLK

But generally you can mix and match. I have one side of an L Bracket that won't grip in one particular head but everything else has always been fine.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 3, 2018

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oh neat, I didn't realize you can swap just the mounting section. So a lever plate like this one would work? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...=BI%3A514&smp=Y

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

You'll need to remove the old clamp from your head so you can determine the thread size before buying the suitable replacement. It's likely either an M6 or 3/8" thread.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hmm, yeah I'll have to check that when I get home.

The cost is the remaining big question. That Nanfrotto 494RC2 is 80 bucks for the whole tripod head and comes with their proprietary camera plate. That RRS lever plate by itself is 120, and I'd have to add 40-80 bucks for a camera specific mounting plate.

Is the added stability from the camera specific plate worth doubling the cost? I don't mind paying for quality if it's a real difference, but I also don't want to overpay for something on the far end of the diminishing returns scale either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes there are diminishing returns, and it probably won't help with vibration as much as heavy duty quality legs and head would. The main function of a mounting plate is keeping your camera from falling off and plummeting down a mountain when you're setting up that epic sunset shot.

But don't think of it in terms of a cost:return ratio, think of it as a thing you only have to buy once, ever. Sure you can save a ton of cash now and buy some cheap solution but two years down the road you'll be mad at it and end up buying the expensive one anyways.

So if the expensive option is in your budget, get it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Other people make cheaper acra style clamps with levers and you could just get a regular acra plate instead of something camera specific.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Recommend the MeFoto Globetrotter carbon tripod. It’s about 3.5 lbs, sturdy, and can be converted into a monopod.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I just picked up a Three Legged Thing Travis, and now I'm suddenly seeing a ton of tripods that look exactly the same (see: Pablo's Manfrotto suggestion, the MeFoto above, etc).

I'm really happy with it, but now I'm suddenly worried these are all cheap knockoffs of each other. They all look the same, are some of these better than others? Should I be worried that may have I just gotten a subpar tripod?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's three extendable poles with a screw on top, there's always going to be similarities.

If it works as advertised and you don't hate using it, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The Rat posted:

Is the added stability from the camera specific plate worth doubling the cost? I don't mind paying for quality if it's a real difference, but I also don't want to overpay for something on the far end of the diminishing returns scale either.
For a base plate I'd just go generic but get a reasonable length so it hopefully resist rotating better. However I'd seriously look at getting an L Bracket so you can use you camera/tripod combo in both landscape and portrait orientation.